Sandy Bridge Pricing

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been checking various sites every day for 2500k prices and they aren't moving. It kills me to see the 2500k sold for $180 at a B&M (MC) and $225+ online, I can't bring myself to spend $45 more when I see it sold for so much less. Does anyone with experience watching the cpu market know when we can expect price drops across the board for the 2500/2600 series? Will it probably be a long wait or might we see it get cheaper in the next few months?

Thanks

MC has that in-store price to get you into the store. The 1K price on a tray 2500K is $216. The prices do go down slowly over time, either through official or soft price cuts. Don't hold your breath for an online retailer to match MC's price. MC is probably making close to zero profit at $180.

Aren't Intel and AMD fairly open when it comes to price drops, as in we know about them in advance a month or so at least?

At least at one point I swear it was like that...

Aren't Intel and AMD fairly open when it comes to price drops, as in we know about them in advance a month or so at least?

At least at one point I swear it was like that...

thats per 1k trays though, doesnt mean we will see it.

I feel your pain, i dont have B&M for that store ehre either and I was looking at the 2400 they got there

Don't hold your breath for an online retailer to match MC's price. MC is probably making close to zero profit at $180.

They are actually losing money on them in hopes that you will pick up a psu, ram, case, etc when you come to buy it. That's why it's in store only. And why Frys has declined price matching it in some cases saying that they don't price match items below cost.

Being a new launch i doubt you will see prices fall for a few months if not at all until ivy bridge. intel will probably be dropping prices on 1156 and 1366 to clear out inventory first.

The MSRP is like $215 isn't it? I doubt you'll see it under $210 online anytime soon... Which means MC will still be $30 cheaper, BUT have you taken a look at Newegg's combos? They're actually really good deals, I usually don't even look at those but the mobo + 2500K combos shave off a good $35+ from the total price.

The MSI combos in particular actually undercut MC despite the $45 difference on the 2500K (after you factor in tax vs free shipping anyway). I'm getting the MSI GD55 mobo which is $150 at MC after MIR and currently $130 at Newegg after MIR, between that and the $35 off from the combo deal I'd actually come out like $37 ahead if I didn't have to pay shipping to Puerto Rico, as it is I'm still coming out even vs MC w/tax.

I had originally planned to buy my SB upgrade parts while on vacation in Denver but between that and the 15% memory discount they're running today I'm just gonna get my stuff at the egg. If you live in CA and pay taxes at Newegg it'd be a different story I guess tho, or if you had your heart set on the ASUS Pro board... That combo deal is only good if you're interested in Civ V (part of the combo), 'cuz otherwise the mobo price is jacked up.

The GD55 seems pretty good tho, it's almost the exact same thing as the one [H]ard reviewed minus an eSATA port and some multimeter plugs for voltage reading, neither of which I'm gonna miss.

These cpu prices are here to stay until their replacement. Look at every i7 at newegg, same price as it's release price unless it's been replaced by another model.

I've bought a lot of processors from Microcenter, ever since they came out with their aggressive pricing on the E8400, the only ones I haven't were some Xeon 1366 cpu's that MC doesn't carry.

In case you skipped right past my block of text above... Take a look at Newegg's combo deals if you've yet to get your mobo, the MSI ones in particular, some of them actually undercut MicroCenter despite the $45 difference on the CPU... Once you factor in the combo discount, sometimes lower mobo prices, and what you'll pay in tax at MC (vs free shipping & no tax), Newegg actually ends up being cheaper.

This holds true even if you have the luxury of being able to buy the CPU at MC and the mobo at Newegg, you may still be better off w/the combo deal because of the additional discount that's only given if you get both together.

Another option is buying from mwave using ebillme on 2x Tuesdays. That puts the price around $200 after the cashback. You can also use other cashback on top like fatwallet or ebates.

I bought a 2500k+ud4 for $394 after ebillme+$5 review coupon including a download for Civilization V for free. Waiting to see if fatwallet cashback posts.

Intel's, at least in my experience, are notorious for keeping the value higher or not moving far south of the initial mark. Honestly, I'd say the best deals are the ones that come in combos when it first comes out or hope for some bundles during a sale/holiday. I picked up the a 65nm C2D when it came out a few years ago (E6400). I was hoping that I'd be able to pick up a quad core Q9x50 once the prices dropped or a deal came along. It never did.

Hey, I am at MC all the time for work, always buying stuff. So if you will pay for shipping I will get CPUs and ship them to you. I wont charge for my time or gas since in am there anyway. Donations of a few bucks are fine though :). We will need to make sure the paypal fees are included so that i am not actually losing money. But like i said, pay for shipping, ill grab cpu's/mobo combos for whoever.
Shoot me a PM guys, I will work with you to make it happen. First come first serve, they might cut me off at some point...

Joe

Back