Sandy Bridge, is it true that Asus boards genereally require more voltage?

More voltage on what? Ram, processors or something else. From my experience, no the Asus boards that support the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor are not requiring more voltage then non-Asus boards using the same chipsets. I havent heard of any issues like this.

More voltage on what? Ram, processors or something else. From my experience, no the Asus boards that support the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor are not requiring more voltage then non-Asus boards using the same chipsets. I havent heard of any issues like this.

sorry if I was a little vague, I meant vcore

No. Some boards require more or less VCORE than others. Sometimes the boards requiring less VCORE are manufactured by ASUS, sometimes not. It's the combination of motherboard and CPU that decides this. It is not an "ASUS" thing.

That being said there is a certain amount of predictability with ASUS boards. Typically you are good to 4.2GHz - 4.4GHz with stock or near voltages. You need to move up to 1.4v if you want to hit up to 4.8GHz or around there or even 1.425 in some rare cases. To break 5.0GHz, you typically need to reach 1.475 - 1.510v and use CPU PLL over voltage. If I set the CPU PLL Voltage override to 1.95v I can get most ASUS boards using our test CPUs to 4.9GHz or better almost every time. With MSI and Gigabyte boards, it takes me a bit longer to dial things in. Sometimes I can get away with less voltage than I can on an ASUS board, but in many cases I've needed more voltage than the ASUS to do the same job, and really, my best overclocking results usually come from ASUS LGA1155 boards. In fact the best overclock I've ever had on any LGA1155 board was achieved on an ASUS board.

Back