Sandy Bridge CPU's not available from e-tailers

Merc

Limp Gawd
Hoping to get a deal on the suddenly dead in the water Sandy Bridge CPU's, I went to Newegg to see if the prices have started to drop and found that all SB CPUs have been deactivated. Why would they do this? I'd gladly but one at discount as the supply gets bloated and wait for the new boards to arrive in a couple of months.

If they sell the CPU with no motherboards available, they'll get returns from people too impatient to wait for the new boards.

If they hoard them, they can charge a premium for them once the fixed motherboards begin shipping again.

Hoping to get a deal on the suddenly dead in the water Sandy Bridge CPU's, I went to Newegg to see if the prices have started to drop and found that all SB CPUs have been deactivated. Why would they do this? I'd gladly but one at discount as the supply gets bloated and wait for the new boards to arrive in a couple of months.

Wait, you mean vendors have temporarily stopped selling Sandy Bridge hardware? This is entirely new information!

nooooo.jpg

glad I ordered mine all at once last week, despite the chipset issue (which doesn't affect me). This motha's a BEAST! What a blunder though. $1B OOPs

In the business I'm in you don't even get to manufacture parts until you have proven through extensive testing and sampling exactly how far out of spec things can be when they break....not do they break under typical use......but then again they weren't running these chips through people's bodies either.....so I guess its somewhat perceivable.

What I don't get though is if you aren't racing against a drop dead milestone date for release, why would you not do simulated aging tests on a product so costly to manufacture?

In the business I'm in you don't even get to manufacture parts until you have proven through extensive testing and sampling exactly how far out of spec things can be when they break....not do they break under typical use......but then again they weren't running these chips through people's bodies either.....so I guess its somewhat perceivable.

What I don't get though is if you aren't racing against a drop dead milestone date for release, why would you not do simulated aging tests on a product so costly to manufacture?

Cause its long term effects. Did you think they were going to take years to specifically test the SATA ports of a chipset to test for degradation?

ITS THE CHIPSET. THE CHIP ON THE MOTHERBOARD. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO SELL THE CPU WITH NO BOARDS AVAILABLE. The cpus are fine.

Cause its long term effects. Did you think they were going to take years to specifically test the SATA ports of a chipset to test for degradation?

No silly.....we don't test for years either....Well we do but product gets shipped once simulated aging is satisfactory. Did you think Microsoft spent years testing Windows Phone 7 before shipping product? Heck no, but they did run simulated testing.....Intel should know better!

Last edited:

It's not a problem that's going to be found through normal simulation type testing. Also, I'm sure Intel did a lot of testing with high temperature and high voltage to try to induce failures and find possible weak points. The fact that Intel didn't find a problem during that testing is an indication that it's not going to be extremely common. Once they realized there was indeed a problem, they probably pushed the voltage and temperature even further to try to accelerate failures.

Last edited:
No silly.....we don't test for years either....Well we do but product gets shipped once simulated aging is satisfactory. Did you think Microsoft spent years testing Windows Phone 7 before shipping product? Heck no, butthey did run simulated testing.....Intel should know better!

Im just utterly shocked that Intel hadnt thought of this before you mentioned it.

Prices drop according to a fixed schedule that Intel dictates -- or unless AMD were to come out with something that forces them to lower prices unexpectedly. I doubt supply "will get bloated" since all they have to do is stop making them for a bit.

Im just utterly shocked that Intel hadnt thought of this before you mentioned it.

Your post drips of sarcasm.

If Intel can identify, diagnose, validate a fix, and issue a total recall for all the boards in such short order there's two things I take away from that, actually three, for one they didn't just realize it was there......but I wont go there as the tinfoil hats would have to come out.

1. They did not test thoroughally enough. Something that can go from unknown to fixed that fast was something that could have been identified through proper test methods.

It's not a problem that's going to be found through normal simulation type testing. Also, I'm sure Intel did a lot of testing with high temperature and high voltage to try to induce failures and find possible weak points. The fact that Intel didn't find a problem during that testing is an indication that it's not going to be extremely common. Once they realized there was indeed a problem, they probably pushed the voltage and temperature even further to try to accelerate failures.

2. This is not a small enough issue that it slipped through testing. They issued a complete recall. That means they did the statistical analysis and found the likelihood of finding a defect in more parts than less is profound enough to spend a billion bucks and lose face. They don't do things like this lightly. Imagine a room full of engineers who basically just had to publically admit to their comletitiors and public alike that they can't let ANY of the product they made enter use. Sure some parts would have been OK, sure they went beyond what was absolutely necessary, that's positive. But let there be no mistake, this was no small issue that was easily missed. They don't admit failure to the world for something that is "extremely uncommon". Normal RMA/warranty costs allow for a certain "extremely uncommon" amount of parts to come back bad. This is not the case.

Last edited:
Your post drips of sarcasm.

Really?

If Intel can identify, diagnose, validate a fix, and issue a total recall for all the boards in such short order there's two things I take away from that, actually three, for one they didn't just realize it was there......but I wont go there as the tinfoil hats would have to come out.

1. They did not test thoroughally enough. Something that can go from unknown to fixed that fast was something that could have been identified through proper test methods.

2. This is not a small enough issue that it slipped through testing. They issued a complete recall. That means they did the statistical analysis and found the likelihood of finding a defect in more parts than less is profound enough to spend a billion bucks and lose face. They don't do things like this lightly. Imagine a room full of engineers who basically just had to publically admit to their comletitiors and public alike that they can't let ANY of the product they made enter use. Sure some parts would have been OK, sure they went beyond what was absolutely necessary, that's positive. But let there be no mistake, this was no small issue that was easily missed. They don't admit failure to the world for something that is "extremely uncommon". Normal RMA/warranty costs allow for a certain "extremely uncommon" amount of parts to come back bad. This is not the case.

Looks like your tinfoil hat is already on. This is a small issue, and was easily missed. This issue has not happened on a consumer level. This was discovered by Intel engineers, and they decided it was better to recall. Sorry, but Intel knows better than you.

Last edited:
There's no way Intel knew about this before release and ignored it hoping it wouldn't amount to anything. Also, I don't want to be offensive, but to imply that Intel doesn't do world class pre-release testing is just crazy. Let's get real, Intel's pre-release testing is second to none, they can't afford to have it any other way.

I'd sure hate to be the chip designer who screwed this up, probably one of the top level guys or gals who manually tied off a no longer used gate, and connected it to a voltage like 3.3v instead of 1.05v (I don't know the real voltages..those are just speculative guesses). He's got to feel like hell. When a logic design goes to place and route, most of it is automated, but there's still things that are manual too..or there were a few years back when I was doing chip design. I know when I was doing this sort of thing I'd pass off a design (largely the output from logic synthesis from verilog, vhdl years earlier) along with notes with critical information for the folks who actually put the pieces of the chip together (things like max allowable skews, etc). Parts of the process are still manual, and human's make mistakes. I'd be very surprised if someone isn't already creating a design checking tool to verify that everything in a new chip is connected to voltages that are within their spec....

Last edited:
I went to Newegg to see if the prices have started to drop

Uh...so you think intel is magically going to drop prices like this is a piece of shit hardware? Get real. I'm using mine right now and it's perfectly fine. It's the hottest shit out there. You think it suddenly became less than it was now?

Uh...so you think intel is magically going to drop prices like this is a piece of shit hardware? Get real. I'm using mine right now and it's perfectly fine. It's the hottest shit out there. You think it suddenly became less than it was now?
Yes, it is shit for many. I went through 6, yes 6!, motherboards(Asus, Gigabyte and MSI), 3 sets of RAM and 2 2500K's(one died in a day) in 5 days trying to get a stable system that could complete a full OS install. I knew everyone's name working returns at Microcenter by the end of that fiasco, sadly. After talking with the manager about all the problems I had and documented online, I exchanged to an i7 950/X58 setup that booted right up and was running within 3 hours.Truely an epic tale in PC building I hope to never experience again.

^ user error, one in a million bro. I and many others have had no problems. A bad board here or there, but cpu? Thats rare as HELL. And sounds like you had much more problems than one board or something. You need to re check your computer skilz.

why is it there seems to be so many memory issues with Sandy Bridge......i keep seeing people with issues, a lot more than other product launches

Wait, you mean vendors have temporarily stopped selling Sandy Bridge hardware? This is entirely new information!

nooooo.jpg

Yikes! How stupid are you buddy. The chipset is the problem, not the CPU so get a clue B4 displaying your stupidity.

No memory errors here. Carried over DDR3 from previous Q6600 build perfectly fine and stable.

Study economics dope. Intel will continue producing chips but no one will buy them so prices should decrease, you moron.

Maybe you didn't learn this in your economics class but a damaged reputation alone can have a larger economic impact than temporarily halting sales.

Study economics dope. Intel will continue producing chips but no one will buy them so prices should decrease, you moron.

Yea, you're right. Let's all go study some Econ 101 and teach Intel a thing or two about business!

Or, you know, we could probably not be dense and realize that econ 101 rarely gives an accurate picture of what goes on in real life.

Yea, you're right. Let's all go study some Econ 101 and teach Intel a thing or two about business!

Or, you know, we could probably not be dense and realize that econ 101 rarely gives an accurate picture of what goes on in real life.

there are always 2 sides to the coin

Before the recall, SB chips were in high demand and low supply(since they were popular), prices were high(or did not fall)

After the recall
1) PRICES are high. the lack of SB chips/mobo right now will increase demand, until things get back to normal march/april. Because of the shortage period, a lot of people(or people who would have bought SB NOW will wait and) will buy SB chips/mobo in march/april when things are fixed, leading to the similar situation before the recall where prices remain high. manufacturers may be more wary about problems, and have a higher QC(or lower production lines to check for problems), leading to the high prices

2) PRICES fall the chip recall allowed Intel/mobo manufacturers to gain more traction on product output and supply SKUs(like more mATX p67, or the Z68 board). More supply than demand, prices fall

now whatever you want to believe would boil down to how much research you do, and how you convince yourself one way or the other

Last edited:
^ user error, one in a million bro. I and many others have had no problems. A bad board here or there, but cpu? Thats rare as HELL. And sounds like you had much more problems than one board or something. You need to re check your computer skilz.
Funny how my "skilz" gots betters wit my new mobo and proc. :rolleyes: Do you really think Micro Center would tolerate someone doing that many exchanges without legitimately proving fault? Please don't answer, that's retorical.

there are always 2 sides to the coin

Before the recall, SB chips were in high demand and low supply(since they were popular), prices were high(or did not fall)

After the recall
1) PRICES are high. the lack of SB chips/mobo right now will increase demand, until things get back to normal march/april. Because of the shortage period, a lot of people(or people who would have bought SB NOW will wait and) will buy SB chips/mobo in march/april when things are fixed, leading to the similar situation before the recall where prices remain high. manufacturers may be more wary about problems, and have a higher QC(or lower production lines to check for problems), leading to the high prices

2) PRICES fall the chip recall allowed Intel/mobo manufacturers to gain more traction on product output and supply SKUs(like more mATX p67, or the Z68 board). More supply than demand, prices fall

now whatever you want to believe would boil down to how much research you do, and how you convince yourself one way or the other

If anything the price of SB motherboards will increase from this, not the processors. I'll grant you there are a few outliers right now because the major etailers aren't selling the chips at the moment so the ones who are selling them are definitely gouging, but the demand for these chips is actually quite low right now. The motherboards, on the other hand, are basically impossible to find reasonably.

EDIT: I would also like to say that SB procs were not really in low supply before either. There was, for the most part, plenty to go around and prices were never really high on them. Intel, on their own site, claims a price of $216 for the i5 2500k, and they stayed damn close to that before.

Yes, it is shit for many. I went through 6, yes 6!, motherboards(Asus, Gigabyte and MSI), 3 sets of RAM and 2 2500K's(one died in a day) in 5 days trying to get a stable system that could complete a full OS install. I knew everyone's name working returns at Microcenter by the end of that fiasco, sadly. After talking with the manager about all the problems I had and documented online, I exchanged to an i7 950/X58 setup that booted right up and was running within 3 hours.Truely an epic tale in PC building I hope to never experience again.

Im sorry but if it to you systemm 3 hours to be up and running there something seriously wrong i have a core 2 quad 40gb ssd 8 gigs of ram 4870x2 and i can go from powere on to windows installed and updated in under 45min

Unless they stop producing them temporarily. Nothing says Intel has to keep making CPUs that no one can/will buy.

So when will the new sandy bridge boards to be released???

At least March, possibly April until you can find one.

Im sorry but if it to you systemm 3 hours to be up and running there something seriously wrong i have a core 2 quad 40gb ssd 8 gigs of ram 4870x2 and i can go from powere on to windows installed and updated in under 45min

Don't worry, the whole story screams bullshit.

You study economics. Producing != Selling. CPUs are no longer being sold. I have a spare 2500k and its value just went up a bit.

Wow. I stated "I exchanged to an i7 950/X58 setup that booted right up and was running within 3 hours". That sentence includes from the exchange, travel time home, unpacking everything and all the little interuprtions in between. It also doesn't imply it took 2h59m59s. I shouldn't expect great reading comprehension on this internet forum and it was my mistake to make a post venting just a little to be judged by people who have no value to me.
Don't worry, the whole story screams bullshit.
Believe it or not, there are some people who don't have to lie or exaggerate on the internet. I shared, you don't believe, carry on.

Last edited:

Obviously you know more than ASUS, you should write them a letter. :rolleyes:

Yikes! How stupid are you buddy. The chipset is the problem, not the CPU so get a clue B4 displaying your stupidity.

Where did I say it was a problem with the CPU? Where did I even mention anything about processors? Sandy Bridge hardware = motherboards and processors.

If all motherboards are being pulled from shelves there isn't much point in selling the processors is there?

My response to you was based on you creating a new thread about something that was already being covered in 20 other threads. IE the sarcasm about the halt in sales as being "new information".

Last edited:
If anything the price of SB motherboards will increase from this, not the processors. I'll grant you there are a few outliers right now because the major etailers aren't selling the chips at the moment so the ones who are selling them are definitely gouging, but the demand for these chips is actually quite low right now. The motherboards, on the other hand, are basically impossible to find reasonably.

EDIT: I would also like to say that SB procs were not really in low supply before either. There was, for the most part, plenty to go around and prices were never really high on them. Intel, on their own site, claims a price of $216 for the i5 2500k, and they stayed damn close to that before.

well, im pointing more towards the period when fixed mobos reappear on the market, of a mobo+cpu total cost, since these are new products;dont think anyone would be parting their cpu+mobo combos anytime soon for sale

but yeah... Intel's site claims $216 for i5 2500k from manufacturer to retailers buying 1000 (or more) of the product. Newegg/TD/online retailers were selling at 225(10 profit?), while Microcenter wanted a loss leader i guess, at 180

Back