Sandy Bridge Core i7 or Xeon E3-1240

If you don't care about overclocking, get Xeon E3-1230. It's even cheaper.

Afaict the xeons aren't overclockable. So you are giving up overclockability and a small ammount of stock clockspeed in exchange for a lower pricetag and some server orientated features (which you would probablly need a server board to exploit).

Graphics, Video and Audio Encoding/Recording
Get the Xeon
If you don't care about overclocking, get Xeon E3-1230. It's even cheaper.
The 1230 does not have Hyperthreading.
Afaict the xeons aren't overclockable. So you are giving up overclockability and a small ammount of stock clockspeed in exchange for a lower pricetag and some server orientated features (which you would probablly need a server board to exploit).

Xeons are not overclockable at all. You will get the server features on any board.

iconiK is correct, the 1230 does have HT:
http://ark.intel.com/products/52271

While it's true you don't get ECC unless you have both a server board and processor, if you're talking about AMT alone you can get that with workstation motherboards. Intel's Q67 motherboards have AMT and don't require a Xeon chip.

I'm inclined to recommend one of the lower priced i7's, and put it in a modest mobo.

I'm inclined to recommend one of the lower priced i7's, and put it in a modest mobo.

There is no i7 cheaper than Xeon E3-1230 (or E3-1235 if you want the IGP & Quick Sync). And it doesn't cost much more than an i5 either.

Back