Sandy Bridge adopters -- post your new build.

Athlon, how much voltage are you running through your 2600k at 4.4? What is preventing you from going higher? (Its an awesome build btw, please don't take that the wrong way!)

Great.... got this in an email from UPS. LOL...my 2600K

Weather conditions might delay delivery of this shipment. This is the most current information available. Please track again later for status updates.

Last Location:
Memphis, TN, United States, Tuesday, 01/11/2011

That's the EXACT same message I got. I am waiting on a Newegg package. I am in Fort Worth, Texas. The Dallas / Fort Worth area had some snow flurries on Sunday 01-09-2011. It did NOT stick and easily melted away by Sunday evening. It was sunny on Monday and today (Tuesday). Obviously, not a single drop of snow or freezing anything. UPS "claims" adverse weather conditions. My package has been sitting in the UPS warehouse about 50 miles away in Mesquite, Texas since Sunday evening. It was supposed to be delivered Monday. There is NO adverse weather here. Not even close! It doesn't even say when it will be delivered.

I can't finish my build until UPS gets off their butt to deliver my related P67 build parts. I hate them sometimes.. ugh!

Just ordered:
i7 2600K
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600

Reusing everything else in my rig. I still haven't decided on which motherboard but I think it's going to be the P8P67 Deluxe. Does anybody know what the stock voltage is for the NB and 2600K?

Great.... got this in an email from UPS. LOL...my 2600K

Interestingly enough, my 2-day air shipment to my location (where we are expecting 15 inches or more of snow tomorrow) does not have that message :confused: and still shows a scheduled delivery of tomorrow.

That's the EXACT same message I got. I am waiting on a Newegg package. I am in Fort Worth, Texas. The Dallas / Fort Worth area had some snow flurries on Sunday 01-09-2011. It did NOT stick and easily melted away by Sunday evening. It was sunny on Monday and today (Tuesday). Obviously, not a single drop of snow or freezing anything. UPS "claims" adverse weather conditions. My package has been sitting in the UPS warehouse about 50 miles away in Mesquite, Texas since Sunday evening. It was supposed to be delivered Monday. There is NO adverse weather here. Not even close! It doesn't even say when it will be delivered.

I can't finish my build until UPS gets off their butt to deliver my related P67 build parts. I hate them sometimes.. ugh!

I'm in frisco, we got 3" here and it still hasn't melted. However, roads were fine from Monday morning on.

I have noticed that people here are choosing the Asus P8P67 Pro over the P8P67. Aside from the fact that the later is not meant for multi GPU, what else makes the former (Pro Version) a better buy? I'm wondering because the P8P67 is cheaper than the Pro version.

I have noticed that people here are choosing the Asus P8P67 Pro over the P8P67. Aside from the fact that the later is not meant for multi GPU, what else makes the former (Pro Version) a better buy? I'm wondering because the P8P67 is cheaper than the Pro version.

Intel NIC for one...

Multi GPU support is the big one I think, most people upgrading at launch tend to be a bit [H]arder.

Running SLI surround for me.

I would say so! How the hell have you managed to not upgrade until now?!?!?!? :eek:

Well, let's see... I started dating the woman of my dreams four years ago which eventually led to us getting married. Needless to say my budget priorities were changed after that. The last couple years I've been a console gamer with some light PC gaming on my laptop, but that is about to change! Everything but my case should arrive today. It's gonna be nice to have a decent desktop PC again.

Athlon, how much voltage are you running through your 2600k at 4.4? What is preventing you from going higher? (Its an awesome build btw, please don't take that the wrong way!)

right now i am testing 4.5GHz with 1.265 volts, it vdrops to 1.248 when running prime. To be honest I know i could go higher but I just don't want to through much more volts in it.

2500K, Thermalright Ultra 120 (mounting brackets on the way)
Asus P8P67 Pro
GTX 570
4*(2*4) = 16gb OCZ Gold DDR3
OCZ Agility II
Caviar Green 2TB
Corsair TX 850 Watt PSU
Silverstone FT01 Black
Total Cost ~ $1,384

All new parts except for the ultra 120

the only difference between the pro and the non pro ASUS P8P67 is the intel nic

the only difference between the pro and the non pro ASUS P8P67 is the intel nic

No.

asus_p8p67_spec.jpg

The PRO has 1 more PCIe x16 slot, has 1 more eSata port and supports SLI.

Ok sa the Pro is good for Multi GPU and it has the intel NIC. I don't really plan on doing multi GPU again. Now for the intel NIC, why is it better than the Realtek one?

Wow, I'm amazed so many of you guys are going with 16gig of memory (I'm sure I will go with the same amount in the future). How are you getting on with over clocking as in the past having two dimms per channel has effected things?

where the hell did this stupid term "adopter" come from? Been hearing it left and right and it's spreading like the plague.

ASrock Extreme 4

4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600

2x XFX 6950s

Auzentech Forte Sound Card

Bigfoot Killer NIC

Intel G2 120GB SSD

Cooler Master HAF-X

Wow, I'm amazed so many of you guys are going with 16gig of memory (I'm sure I will go with the same amount in the future). How are you getting on with over clocking as in the past having two dimms per channel has effected things?

Having two dimms per channel impacted things in the past because you were overclocking the memory controller with the bus and it reached its limit at lower frequencies when fully burdened. Since we aren't overclocking the memory controller here, this should have no impact on processor overclocking. The only thing it could potentially impact is trying to scale the ram up to very high speeds like 2133.

No.

[*img]http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1500/asus_p8p67_spec.jpg[/img]

The PRO has 1 more PCIe x16 slot, has 1 more eSata port and supports SLI.

The PRO also has the second slot that won't drop to x1 when using the main x16 slot, just x8. The non-Pro cannot run SLI, and the CF mode it supports will severely constrict performance due to running at x1 or sub-x4 modes for the secondary slot the extra card would go into.

Check this...

Pro model page said:
2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)

Normal edition page said:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16) 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16* [Black] (max. at x4 mode) *The PCIEX16_2 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_1 slot, PCIEX1_2 slot and USB3_34 connector. The PCIEX16_2 runs at x1 mode by default for system resource optimization.

So, the Pro runs both slots at x8 if you populate them with cards or x16 if you only use the single slot... the normal version (non-Pro) runs its main slot at x16, and the second one at a MAX of x4, however if you use any USB 3 connections or anything in the PCI-E x1 slots it drops down to x1 (which it is set to by default). It also does not support SLI while the Pro *does*.

Just so the record's clear for all :).

so the non pro basically can;t run crossfire just single a card solution at 16x

i have 2 pcie 1x cards a sound card and intel nic

i hope i can run 1 video card at 16x at least?

here's my fairly low budget build:

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K ($225)
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 PRO ($169)
RAM - ADATA 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 ($49)
HSF - CM Hyper 212+ and fan for push/pull ($41)
GPU - MSI GTX 460 1GB Hawk ($160)
PSU - Corsair AX850 ($160)
HD - WD Caviar Black 1TB ($90)
Case - CM Storm Sniper BE ($140)
DVD - Sony Optiarc ($20)
Soundcard - X-fi Xtreme Gamer (reusing, considering just sticking with the on-board Realtek)
Keyboard - Razer Lycosa (reusing)
Mouse - Razer Deathadder (reusing)
Display - Dell S2409w 1920x1080 (reusing)

total price: $1054

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

and the best feature of this case...i can turn the bling off with the push of a button:
IMG_0113.jpg

i5-2500KCPU-Z.png

I'm resusing my Antec 900 case - everything else is new.

i7 2600k ($300 MC after taxes)
MSI P67-GD65 ($176 Superbiiz)
2x ASUS 768MB GTX 460's ($240 Newegg)
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 ($115 Newegg)
Corsair 850w TX PSU ($110 Newegg)
OCZ 60GB Agility 2 SSD ($100 Newegg)

Hopefully not too bad for just over $1000... I'm upgrading from my 4 year old rig - 2GB RAM, E6300 @ 2.8Ghz and an 8800 GTS.

I also purchased a Corsair H50 cooler and another 8GB of RAM, but I think I went a bit overboard with 16GB and I'll save some cash and go with the CM 212+ if the ram does not get in the way. So I'm planning on returning those 2 items.

It looks like a lot of other people went with 16GB tho - I'm curious as to how they plan to make use of it.. (any reason to keep mine? :) )

Porter.

Very nice. The only thing I'd change would be to lose about 250 watts from the PSU. You're probably pulling no more (and probably less) than 500 watts. Even if you added a second GTX460 down the line, you wouldn't be pulling more than 600.

Last edited:
i agree 100%. i was considering either the Seasonic X-750 and Corsair AX750 and even those PSU's are overkill for my setup. i'm preparing for the possibility of SLI/Crossfire in the future. when i purchased the AX850 it was only $10 more than either of the 750W psu's so i went with it.

Does the 212+ hang over the first ram slot? I can't really see in detail, but it looks like it does. If so I'd have to swap out the vengeance sticks in my order wishlist.

Does the 212+ hang over the first ram slot? I can't really see in detail, but it looks like it does. If so I'd have to swap out the vengeance sticks in my order wishlist.

it is literally flush with the outside of the DIMM socket. if i had to guess, i'd say it would fit but it would be close. i tried to snap a pic that gives an idea of the clearance.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

My sandy bridge build is as follows

core i7 2600
Asus P8P67
Corsair 8gb ram 4Gx2|CORSAIR CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 R
intel 80gb G2
G.skill 120gb sanforce
WD 640gb black
Corsair 850hx
coolermast CM590
Samsung CDRW
Auzentech Xfi forte
intel CT desktop PCIE

ASrock Extreme 4

4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600

2x XFX 6950s

Auzentech Forte Sound Card

Bigfoot Killer NIC

Intel G2 120GB SSD

Cooler Master HAF-X

Homer how are you liking the Asrock board? ANy issues? I'm looking at buying the Extreme6.

I ran the Antec power supply calculator for my setup, which is very similar to yours, but would probably draw a smidge more than yours (I have an SSD, a second optical, and a card reader, but will likely go with an ATI 6950 VC). It came to something like 490 watts. Even adding a second VC and a second HD, It went to less than 600 watts. I've top ended my PS spec at 650. I'll likely go with the XFX 650, which seems like a smoking deal ($99 - 30 MIR).

i agree 100%. i was considering either the Seasonic X-750 and Corsair AX750 and even those PSU's are overkill for my setup. i'm preparing for the possibility of SLI/Crossfire in the future. when i purchased the AX850 it was only $10 more than either of the 750W psu's so i went with it.

AMD 5000+ Black Edition Oc'ed to 3.1
Asus m2n-E
2x2gb Gskill 6400
8800gt
500gb HD

to

i5 2500k oc'ed at 4.2 currently
Asus p8p67
2x2gb OCZ Reaper 12800 (1.5v)
Microcenter 64gb SSD (aDATA S599)
WD Black 1tb
M-Audio 24/96 soundcard
LG 42" LD450

Next up will be another ssd drive for raid and a better vid card. Let me tell you, SSD IS A MUST!!! Honestly, that's probably the most noticable upgrade I've ever experienced in my life. (Except for the dude in this thread that upgraded from a barton to a 2600k, I'm sure his was more noticeable lol)

it is literally flush with the outside of the DIMM socket. if i had to guess, i'd say it would fit but it would be close. i tried to snap a pic that gives an idea of the clearance.

Thanks for the closer pics, that's really almost too close for comfort :eek:

Back