Sandy Bridge 2600k - no VT-d?

FlangeMonkey

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at the Sandy Bridge i7-2600 and 2600K processors and have spotted that Intel has removed support for VT-d on the 2600K on there marketing material.

I've also read a lot on different forums and sites that state the 2600K doesn't support VT-d. I'm finding it hard to believe (to a degree) that Intel has removed this support on its "top of the line" desktop processor.

First question, can someone with a 2600K that has tested VT-d support, please confirm this for me?

Second question.... Why?

My denial is optimistic...

Thanks in advance,

Intel decided that having your cake and eating it too was too cliche'd, like putting lambo doors on everything (so much that Lamborghini stopped doing it).

They were fed up of all these companies trying to satisfy their customers and decided to take a stance and be different and stand out.

Non-K = VT-d, K = no VT-d

Extremely annoying,

I've in fact started to read about the release of the 2nd gen extreme line, enthusiasts line or whatever they decide the 'E' stands for this time around. I'll put my money on it that they are the true bells and whistles what include everything (stupid comment really, because we all know they will be). IMO I absolutely hate this stance from companies that perform these type of things. Its not a point of reducing cost, I'll bet you its there sat on the chip with a little tag that disables it. I can bitch all day about this... so I'll keep it at that.

Thanks for confirming its not working and not just a mistake on there marketing material that everyone is following.

I haven't done the research yet, but what are peoples thoughts on the AMD offering? More cores, better/worse? Would you still go for an i7-2600 (not K)?

Thanks,

depends. AMD is about to launch their Bulldozer arch and chips on June/July (I forget which month), with a hard launch date, so... I'd wait on picking up anything AMD unless if you need it, or have an extremely limited budget. It still have VT-x support, so... unless if you have a need for virtualized HW IO requests, it won't be bad :)

Yea, I'll be needing the HW IO pass though. I wouldn't normally be going down the overclocking route as "I've been there and done that" but from the reports I've read the percent of improvement is hard to give up.

I really want to fit it into this TAX year and get moving on my project, however it might be advisable to wait, but I should take my own advice and stop waiting sometimes. I know what it will be with me... 3 months, then another 3 months and then I'll never get anything.

Back