Sandy bridge 2500k system enough for my 1080ti?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
i recently got a 1080ti and was wondering if i can get more out of its potential with an upgrade of my system and if its worth it. my system is in sig. ive been complimenting on upgrading but i use my pc strictly for gaming and regular computer use. i dont do any photo or video or picture editing or rendering or anything extreme besides gaming.

What are you actually asking? If you should upgrade the cpu and other parts? If so then YES as it would be foolish to have an expensive 1080 ti in a system with an old i5 and 8gb of system ram.

I would go with an 8700k and 16gb of 3600 mhz ram. Many will tell you to go Ryzen 2700x which is a good option but there seems to be the occasional game that has issues with Ryzen and Nvidia gpus.

Last edited:
Are the minimum fps in the games you play too low for you? If not, use what you have. Otherwise upgrading the CPU will bring those numbers up unless you're playing at 4K resolution. (Even then it depends on the game too)

Are the minimum fps in the games you play too low for you? If not, use what you have. Otherwise upgrading the CPU will bring those numbers up unless you're playing at 4K resolution. (Even then it depends on the game too)
He has a 1440p 144 hz screen so if he does not upgrade his cpu then he might as well have bought a 1080 or even a 1070 for many games as his cpu will certainly be the limitation for "minimum fps". Even my oced 4770k cant maintain 60 fps in some newer games never mind a high refresh rate. He is literately losing 35-40% or more of potential performance in many games compared to having an 8700k and 16gb of fast ram.

Last edited:

i really wouldn't know because i don't have anything to compare it to but by the sounds of the reply i am really missing a lot from my 1080ti with my current system. I am now planning to upgrade. what would you all recommend as far as motherboard goes if my budget was lets say 250 for that. also 8700k or 9700k? ram?

i really wouldn't know because i don't have anything to compare it to but by the sounds of the reply i am really missing a lot from my 1080ti with my current system. I am now planning to upgrade. what would you all recommend as far as motherboard goes if my budget was lets say 250 for that. also 8700k or 9700k? ram?
8700k and 9700k are going to be practically identical for gaming so I would just get whichever one you can get the cheapest and the 8700k seems to be quite a bit cheaper and in stock. In fact yesterday it was actually quite a bit cheaper but it went back up in price on NewEgg. And I would go with 3600 MHz 16-gig kit preferably Gskill. And you might as well just get a z390 board IMO and there are a few good options. To me they Gigabyte z390 Aorus master is great but that is about 30 bucks more than the 250 you mentioned but would be really good if you upgrade to the 9900k down the road.

Last edited:
You should watch this first:

Use slickdeals.net to price your upgrades.

Sounds like budget and performance are both important - thus I’d recommend a Ryzen 1700x for $150, an AM4 b350 motherboard for $55, and 16GB of DDR4-3000 ram for $100.

All prices available on slickdeals.net

That’s everything you need at $305 which is less than half the price of the Intel system quotes above. The performance difference at 3440x1440 will be less than 5-10% since that resolution is nearly all GPU bottleneck.

CPU - https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=Ryzen+1700x

AM4 motherboards - https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.ph...earcharea=deals&searchin=first&sort=relevance

RAM - https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.ph...earcharea=deals&searchin=first&sort=relevance

Last edited:
You should watch this first:

Use slickdeals.net to price your upgrades.

Sounds like budget and performance are both important - thus I’d recommend a Ryzen 1700x for $150, an AM4 b350 motherboard for $55, and 16GB of DDR4-3000 ram for $100.

All prices available on slickdeals.net

That’s everything you need at $305 which is less than half the price of the Intel system quotes above. The performance difference at 3440x1440 will be less than 5-10% since that resolution is nearly all GPU bottleneck.

CPU - https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=Ryzen+1700x

AM4 motherboards - https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.ph...earcharea=deals&searchin=first&sort=relevance

RAM - https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.ph...earcharea=deals&searchin=first&sort=relevance

mircocenter has the 1700x on sale for $140 thinking of going that way since its a lot cheaper than going intel right now. would i have any problems since i am still on windows 7? also what motherboard would you recommend?

mircocenter has the 1700x on sale for $140 thinking of going that way since its a lot cheaper than going intel right now. would i have any problems since i am still on windows 7? also what motherboard would you recommend?
The 1700x would be good. You should really just upgrade to 10. You can do it for free still I think. No reason to be on 7 in 2018.

what do you all think of going for an 8600k vs 8700k strictly for gaming any much difference for a $110 more?

what do you all think of going for an 8600k vs 8700k strictly for gaming any much difference for a $110 more?

After the announcement that the PS5 is gonna be 8 cores, I'd personally try my best go with an 8 core / 16 thread cpu.

(if you want it to last)

Honestly, given this latest news, if you can't afford the 9900K (like me): go with the 2700X.

(or just wait for Zen2, like me)

I think the 1700x is a fantastic CPU.

Do it.

As to the motherboard...

Motherboards don’t matter that much frankly.
Over the years I can’t even count the times I’ve read benchmarks where the difference between the $400 motherboard with all the bells and whistles and the budget $70 motherboard was like 2FPS or less in games. Overclocking MIGHT possibly be a bit better on a pricey board, but even that doesn’t always ring true. Any of the major brands will likely be fine. (Asus, MSI, ASRock, Gigabyte, Biostar, etc) If you plan to sli or crossfire you’ll want to spend more to get the extra PCI-E lanes. If you just want to play games on a single GPU just get a cheap board you like with the cosmetics you favor. Don’t lose sleep over the choice. If you are going to microcenter and get a knowledgeable sales rep, just ask him what AM4 motherboard he has fewest returns on and recommends for a budget oriented 1700x build. You’ll be pleased as peach with a Ryzen 1700x. They are a great CPU, and at $140 with an additional $30 off when you buy a motherboard it’s an absolute no brainer! Seriously, it’s a great time to build a 8 core/16 thread system with that setup!

I decided to hold out on upgrading my 2700k at 4.5 until the Ryzen 3000 series is out. My 1080ti will just be slightly bottlenecked until then.:D

If u game at 4k don't bother upgrading your cpu. If u want lower res higher refresh rate a new cup would be ideal. This is really the answer in its least complicated form.

I game at 1440p, so I'll be CPU limited in some games, but not others.

i am running 2k i upgraded to 8700k. games run way better as far as more steady and higher minimum frames. with my 2500k my fps would be bouncing all over the place now its a lot more steady

When I got my 2080ti, I gave the wife my 1080ti. She currently has an i5 6500 and the world is still spinning.

Attachments

• 48F74471-DC89-4C0B-8E83-BB2EF40808E8.jpeg
    48F74471-DC89-4C0B-8E83-BB2EF40808E8.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 0
It's fine if you're playing old games, but most 2016+ major games requires newer cpu instructions to work well, old quads aren't going to cut it even if you OC it

Back