SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 120GB Extreme $80 shipped tigerdirect

I bought one of these last time around. I wouldn't buy another one until they issue a new firmware update. Garbage collection and TRIM do not work correctly. This is due to bugs inn the Sandforce 5.0.1 firmware used by the drive.

Really? The reviews I looked over show it to be one of the fastest drives out. Faster than the cm4 and the samsung 830 in most cases...

I bought one of these last time around. I wouldn't buy another one until they issue a new firmware update. Garbage collection and TRIM do not work correctly. This is due to bugs inn the Sandforce 5.0.1 firmware used by the drive.

Link to proof please, otherwise you are just a troll. Thanks in advance.

Check the reviews and the sandisk forums. Trim is not up to snuff on these drives, but hopefully the new firmware will be out soon.

Are you serious dude?

I was sporting one of these for 2-3 years on my old G51 laptop and never had an issue with it.

$79 is a damn good price and performs awesome.

Are you serious dude?

I was sporting one of these for 2-3 years on my old G51 laptop and never had an issue with it.

$79 is a damn good price and performs awesome.

These are newer sandisk drives that have only been out a few months....

Seems he's right btw. The have a couple threads about it on the sandisk forum. Apparently it's a bug in the sandforce firmware. Apparently there's been an updated firmware for the controller, but sandisk hasn't released their custom firmware with the fix yet.

These are newer sandisk drives that have only been out a few months....

I exaggerated a bit, but I had it at least for a year.

Few months? I disagree on that.

EDIT

The prices are also the same on buy.com and amazon if anyone doesn't want to buy from tigerdirect for some reason.

Here you go, you can find more articles and feedback if you look:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/48...ixed_trim_solid_state_drive_review/index.html

These drive ship with Sandforce 5.0.1 which as you can see is way down in some of those benchmarks after the drive gets used. Sandisk provided a beta of 5.0.3 firmware to TweakTown which verified that is helps a lot. Only problem is user's can't access 5.0.3, and Sandisk has not officially committed to releasing 5.0.4 to the public.

Really? The reviews I looked over show it to be one of the fastest drives out. Faster than the cm4 and the samsung 830 in most cases...

I certainly bought one because it was the fastest and affordable. I am not trying to thread crap, however I would have purchased a different drive if I knew TRIM/garbage collection didn't work on these drives.

Last edited:
Here you go, you can find more articles and feedback if you look:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/48...ixed_trim_solid_state_drive_review/index.html

These drive ship with Sandforce 5.0.1 which as you can see is way down in some of those benchmarks after the drive gets used. Sandisk provided a beta of 5.0.3 firmware to TweakTown which verified that is helps a lot. Only problem is user's can't access 5.0.3, and Sandisk has not officially committed to releasing 5.0.4 to the public.

Fair enough. That is good information. I have two of the 120gb drives and they have been working well for me for months now.

Seems I might hold off on getting anymore Sandisk drives and go with Samsung if I absolutely want to upgrade.

So I was going to just start my computer from scratch with this drive... should I hold off for the firmware update before starting? Or will it matter if I go ahead and build up the OS and software this weekend and then update the firmware when it is released? This is my first foray into the world of SSDs, so I just wanna be sure...

So I was going to just start my computer from scratch with this drive... should I hold off for the firmware update before starting? Or will it matter if I go ahead and build up the OS and software this weekend and then update the firmware when it is released? This is my first foray into the world of SSDs, so I just wanna be sure...

Just use the drive. When the fw comes out, you can backup the drive, update the firmware, then copy the image back onto the drive.

Just use the drive. When the fw comes out, you can backup the drive, update the firmware, then copy the image back onto the drive.

Most firmware updates nowadays are none destructive, meaning no data loss.

Most firmware updates nowadays are none destructive, meaning no data loss.

right on. i always have an image, but i installed the last sandisk firmware with no issues. its a fast friekin drive people, and it is not a matter of if they will release the firmware, just when. run it now, update later, you shouldnt see any slow downs before the update is released. it still does suck, but these are just my thoughts.

Back