Sandisk: Next SSDs Will Have HDD-Like Pricing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sandisk is looking to be the company that bridges the gap in pricing between the SSD and the HDD. The company has announced that its next SSD release pricing will be on a par with that of the pricing of a similar sized HDD.

The Z400s series will offer many of the advantages you’ve come to expect out of other SSDs, though the company says the cost will be just about on par with what you’d spend on a traditional hard disk.

Z400 maxes out at 256GB.

does anyone still sell/make 256GB HDDs?

Z400 maxes out at 256GB.

does anyone still sell/make 256GB HDDs?

yeah i saw that.

i would love a 1tb ssd for $60-$100. even if it is "slower" than a high end ssd, it would be great for games.

OK, so a 1TB WD Black sells for $75. That means that the new Z400 256GB will sell for about $19. Somehow I really, really doubt it.

What that article suggests about pricing isn't supported by the actual press release: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...r-mobile-computing-and-embedded-applications/

press release said:
An Economic Way for OEMs to Add Value and Competitive Advantage

With a variety of form factors and capacities, lightweight design and cost-effective architecture, PC OEMs can incorporate the new SanDisk Z400s into sleeker, mobile laptop designs without breaking bill of materials (BOM) costs. Additionally, because SSDs have no moving parts, they are much less prone to failure, which increases device uptime. According to published data, HDDs are three times more likely to fail than SSDs.3 By designing systems with the new SanDisk Z400s SSD, PC OEMs can deliver products that are 5x more reliable and 20x faster than traditional hard drives, translating into fewer returns, lower total cost of ownership and increased overall customer satisfaction.

Pricing on 32GB-256GB capacity SSDs have fallen quite low in the past year or so, and that marketingspeak doesn't suggest anything spectacular about the pricing on new drives. What it does suggest is that there may be reliability and TCO benefits by going with an SSD, but not that price per GB is at parity vs rotational drives. A high performance 256GB SSD is still seen as a premium over a slow 5400RPM 1TB 2.5" SATA drive and if pricing between those two are similar, it's a win for most consumers.

I will take 16 500gb SSD at current pricing, provided they have SSD performance :)

What that article suggests about pricing isn't supported by the actual press release: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandis...r-mobile-computing-and-embedded-applications/

Pricing on 32GB-256GB capacity SSDs have fallen quite low in the past year or so, and that marketingspeak doesn't suggest anything spectacular about the pricing on new drives. What it does suggest is that there may be reliability and TCO benefits by going with an SSD, but not that price per GB is at parity vs rotational drives. A high performance 256GB SSD is still seen as a premium over a slow 5400RPM 1TB 2.5" SATA drive and if pricing between those two are similar, it's a win for most consumers.

Judging from what you posted, they're talking about overall BOM cost comparisons for device manufacturers. Hence the 256gb max size. So I agree, the article and the PR don't exactly jive.

A cheap gaming drive in the 512GB-1TB range would sell very well if they could do it for under 100 USD

They're talking about embedded systems like POS terminals or ATMs, not personal computers.

Title of the press release: SanDisk Introduces New SSD Optimized for Mobile Computing and Embedded Applications

:p

Awesome, about time. Im already using my old HDD's as coasters,which by the way work very good and gets alot attention by guests.

OK, so a 1TB WD Black sells for $75. That means that the new Z400 256GB will sell for about $19. Somehow I really, really doubt it.

Hell, I'd gladly take a 256GB flash drive for $25. So that makes their statement that much more confusing.

Wouldn't it be great if headlines didn't just get regurgitated 1 on 1? Hah, dreaming again...

Only if the reliability is there. I already have seen too much with SSD drives to put up with any that don't have power loss protection, redundant protection, superb wear leveling and a type of flash known for longevity (MLC for now).

The article is full of it. And those SSD sizes are too small to be considered a competitor or replacement for a traditional hard drive. They could sell them for a buck fifty and I still wouldn't get one because anything under 500GB is a waste of a drive bay. I have 4 SSDs, 2 1TB, 1 750GB, and a 480GB I got for a crazy low price because of an error in an advertised sale listing that the retailer made good on when I asked them about it. I bought a small SSD for my laptop once, and it was nothing but trouble shuffling files around trying to not run out of room on my boot drive (80GB msata). Never again.

I like my 250GB EVO 850 boot drive just fine, but I certainly do think about the fact that for the same money I could have had 2 TB's of RAID 0, 7200-rpm goodness. It's a sobering thought. Still, I'm already spoiled by my 8-second Win10x64 boot times...!

The article is full of it. And those SSD sizes are too small to be considered a competitor or replacement for a traditional hard drive. They could sell them for a buck fifty and I still wouldn't get one because anything under 500GB is a waste of a drive bay. I have 4 SSDs, 2 1TB, 1 750GB, and a 480GB I got for a crazy low price because of an error in an advertised sale listing that the retailer made good on when I asked them about it. I bought a small SSD for my laptop once, and it was nothing but trouble shuffling files around trying to not run out of room on my boot drive (80GB msata). Never again.

That's why people run HDDs alongside them; Stop being such a sensationalist. There's no way in hell you're filling up 3 TB of SSD space with relevant shit.

That's why people run HDDs alongside them; Stop being such a sensationalist. There's no way in hell you're filling up 3 TB of SSD space with relevant shit.

Its 4 separate computers nitwit. Maybe you like constantly fiddling with your computer but most people don't. People who want a separate boot SSD and data HDD are a vanishingly small but vocal minority among people who buy and actually use computers for something other than games and benchmarking so they can compare their internet schwang size to other benchmark enthusiasts.

I've tried that, and it was an interesting learning experience, but sorting through stuff to keep on the SSD and what to put on the trad HDD was far too time consuming to be anything like a permanent solution. And *most* (ie. 95%+) of the people who buy computers to use instead of as a hobby to fiddle with the computer itself aren't going to want to spend that kind of time on such a mundane sysadmin task either. Until the OS itself is smart enough to balance storage between SSD and HDD and actually get it right, smallish boot SSDs will be mostly an enthusiast and gamer configuration.

And on topic (instead of attacking other forum users), this article completely misses the point of those drives. Even if the article actually correctly interpreted the press release, the pricing and usage assumption is ridiculous.

Lolwat

This. I have a file server to store files. No way I could fit that on ssd.

No kidding? Who is keeping 20 TB of movies and music on a laptop SSD?

Would symbolic links count? :D

I would gladly take a cheap SSD that maxes out at even 150MB/s if the random 4K was still in the 10-30MB/s. That's more important for me.

Its 4 separate computers nitwit. Maybe you like constantly fiddling with your computer but most people don't. People who want a separate boot SSD and data HDD are a vanishingly small but vocal minority among people who buy and actually use computers for something other than games and benchmarking so they can compare their internet schwang size to other benchmark enthusiasts.

I've tried that, and it was an interesting learning experience, but sorting through stuff to keep on the SSD and what to put on the trad HDD was far too time consuming to be anything like a permanent solution. And *most* (ie. 95%+) of the people who buy computers to use instead of as a hobby to fiddle with the computer itself aren't going to want to spend that kind of time on such a mundane sysadmin task either. Until the OS itself is smart enough to balance storage between SSD and HDD and actually get it right, smallish boot SSDs will be mostly an enthusiast and gamer configuration.

And on topic (instead of attacking other forum users), this article completely misses the point of those drives. Even if the article actually correctly interpreted the press release, the pricing and usage assumption is ridiculous.

I'm just saying that you're on an enthusiast website and you're complaining about SSD advancements. Judging by your sig, you're pretty adverse to upgrades.

No need to 'sort through stuff' to run a SSD/HDD at the same time. Make torrents and browser downloads hit the HDD, run the OS and games/important apps on the SSD -- It's not rocket science.

If I could do it with a 64GB SSD years ago, you can most definitely do it with the sub $200 500GB SSDs today. :rolleyes:

Uh huh. Cool story bro. You put a 80gb drive in a system that was being used enough that it needed more space. Thats on you for misjudging your requirements. It happens, big whoop. I have had a 500gb spinner in a laptop for four years that has never had more than 120gb of space used.

The people who you say won't want to mess with that sysadmin task probably won't be needing that much space. If they're lazy, thats on them. I tell people these days its far easier to add a second hdd than to reinstall everything on a new ssd down the road. Certainly for the non tech savvy people anyway.

Back