SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s SDSSDX-240G-G25 $180

I have two of the 120GB's. Great drives. Blazing fast :D

I will wait until I can get the 480GB for $300 though.

I was looking at this also, how do these compare to Intel, crucial, samsung, etc???

I cannot find a review on these drives. Any links? Will snag but I want better reliability then my Vertex3 at those r/w speeds. Was almost pulling a trigger on Samsungs 830s until I saw this.

NP. Really good deal.. I'd consider jumping on it if I was in the US right now.

Decent review but still worried about reliability..My vertexs hate RAID 0(could be the board) but just have had nothing but problems with my Vertexs.

It's seems like a different SSD tests the "$200 or lower" waters each day.

I have the 240gb as my boot drive. They are very impressive from personal experience, and also rates high from just about every review that I've seen for it.

I paid $280 a couple of months ago, AT discount; this price is robbery at this point.

The 480gb is so tempting for a steam-exclusive drive...

Last edited:
Wow.. Bought the 256G for $219 a few weeks back and I thought that was a good deal. Holy smokes.

Edit: Got Fry's to Price match. Saved another $40!

Last edited:
Decent review but still worried about reliability..My vertexs hate RAID 0(could be the board) but just have had nothing but problems with my Vertexs.

I used to own a P6X58D premium (before it died and got lost in Asus RMA hell). Your problem is due to the Marvell SATA III chip for the board. That chip was one of the first SATA III controllers and, by the specs, is not supposed to be able to RAID 0 at all. Even the slightly newer/better Marvell chip on the Rampage III Formula, which allows for RAID 0, does not do a good job and resulted in a speed slower than a single mechanical drive. You need to run RAID off the Intel SATA II ports, which with the faster vertexs is such a drop in speed as to make RAID not worthwhile.

The real question is whether the SanDisk uses synchronous or asynchronous memory. I would avoid async based SSDs.

Everyone worried about stability with these drives, DON'T. I have had two running in RAID0 for 3 months now. I have only restarted my computer once during that time. No issues whatsoever. These drives are rock solid stable and very, very fast :D

Also, these are toggle NAND. Yes, that is right they use the GOOD STUFF!

I used to own a P6X58D premium (before it died and got lost in Asus RMA hell). Your problem is due to the Marvell SATA III chip for the board. That chip was one of the first SATA III controllers and, by the specs, is not supposed to be able to RAID 0 at all. Even the slightly newer/better Marvell chip on the Rampage III Formula, which allows for RAID 0, does not do a good job and resulted in a speed slower than a single mechanical drive. You need to run RAID off the Intel SATA II ports, which with the faster vertexs is such a drop in speed as to make RAID not worthwhile.

The real question is whether the SanDisk uses synchronous or asynchronous memory. I would avoid async based SSDs.

Neither...it uses 24nm toggle NAND (which is faster than both). It's also their own memory and it comes with a 3yr warranty. In just about all of the reviews I've read, the Sandisk is one of the top performing drives.

Did anyone else hear that there was a problem with TRIM working on these drives correctly? Supposedly the newest firmware update fixes it....

Neither...it uses 24nm toggle NAND (which is faster than both). It's also their own memory and it comes with a 3yr warranty. In just about all of the reviews I've read, the Sandisk is one of the top performing drives.

That's what I get for not keeping up on SSD memory types. Some quick browsing shows that toggle seems comparable to sync.

It would still seem to be better to go with a 256 or 512GB drive over a 240/480 unless you were really concerned about wanting extra over-provisioning.

Stop spreading fud. The usable size of the 256 and 512 drives are the same once they are formatted. Do a little reading before spreading misinformation!!!!
You have no idea what your talking about. so ur saying formatting a 480 drive remains 480? Lamo. I have had both types of drives and u got ur info wrong there. do a little research urself.

You have no idea what your talking about. so ur saying formatting a 480 drive remains 480? Lamo. I have had both types of drives and u got ur info wrong there. do a little research urself.

No that is not what I am saying. Post the difference in size then if you have both types of drives!

No that is not what I am saying. Post the difference in size then if you have both types of drives!

256GB will format to 238GB

240GB will format to 223GB

512GB will format to 476GB

480GB will format to 446GB

/discussion

That's what I get for not keeping up on SSD memory types. Some quick browsing shows that toggle seems comparable to sync.

It would still seem to be better to go with a 256 or 512GB drive over a 240/480 unless you were really concerned about wanting extra over-provisioning.

I just upgraded to a SATA 3 (Intel 520) drive from the Intel G2 and spent some time figuring out the differences myself. From my understanding, the toggle NAND is the fastest (and most expensive). Also, the more actual dies on the SSD, the faster it is. ...which is why most higher capacity drivers perform faster.

The nice thing about the Sandisk is that their combination results in incredibly fast performance on the lower end. If you compare their 120gb to others, it's faster than a majority of other offerings. Their price is also very, very good.

Tempted to get the 120GB for my wife's laptop. It's a few years old, plenty fast for her needs (writing / research). Her HD is getting "iffy". I dropped an OCZ 120GB in my netbook... huge difference. $100 upgrade ... oh so tempting.

Hesitant on my main rig. It's stable as hell, and I like that. Heh.. using my wife and netbook as test subjects...

Tempted to get the 120GB for my wife's laptop. It's a few years old, plenty fast for her needs (writing / research). Her HD is getting "iffy". I dropped an OCZ 120GB in my netbook... huge difference. $100 upgrade ... oh so tempting.

Hesitant on my main rig. It's stable as hell, and I like that. Heh.. using my wife and netbook as test subjects...

You should have no worries, especially if you opt for a single larger drive over two smaller ones in RAID..I have the SanDisk Ultra 120 (which is a SATA ii drive based on the infamous Sandforce controller that had all the issues, ie OCZ Vertex 2 etc)...Well Sandisk decided to wait until all the issues were ironed out with the controller instead of shipping drives that were basically guaranteed to have issues..I bought mine in early Jan '12, and the drive wasn't even mad until the end of NOV '11!! i have had ZERO issues, and as others have mentioned about the newer Extreme we are talking about here, it is actually faster then several other brands offerings with the same specs..If I hadn't just upgraded to a 3770K and Z77 setup, the 480 would be on it's way to my door!!

Did anyone else hear that there was a problem with TRIM working on these drives correctly? Supposedly the newest firmware update fixes it....

http://.com/latest-buzz/new-sandisk-extreme-ssd-firmware-fixes-trim/

Improved the robustness of the recovery procedure during power cycles and secure erases

Fixed an issue that would block a TRIM command sent by an application while in IDE mode using Windows XP or Windows 7

Improved TRIM throughput, write performance, resume from slumber and checkpoints

You should have no worries, especially if you opt for a single larger drive over two smaller ones in RAID..I have the SanDisk Ultra 120 (which is a SATA ii drive based on the infamous Sandforce controller that had all the issues, ie OCZ Vertex 2 etc)...Well Sandisk decided to wait until all the issues were ironed out with the controller instead of shipping drives that were basically guaranteed to have issues..I bought mine in early Jan '12, and the drive wasn't even mad until the end of NOV '11!! i have had ZERO issues, and as others have mentioned about the newer Extreme we are talking about here, it is actually faster then several other brands offerings with the same specs..If I hadn't just upgraded to a 3770K and Z77 setup, the 480 would be on it's way to my door!!

I'm just picky about the stability of my main system. I will go SSD in in the near future. Need to get a new drive for the wifey first and SSD makes total sense there. It's been great in my netbook :) I upgraded the BIOS before I installed it and moved everything over. I use the netbook when I travel and for recording home jam / Filk sessions. Works pretty dang well. Going to give it a good run this weekend doing a lot of recording.

I bought a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB for $240 two months ago, and now this... my wallet is is hemorrhaging in a good way. I'd like to see a 1TB drive for $100 soon.

I was able to pricematch this deal for the 240GB at Frys with no problems. Popped it open, comes with a 1 page install guide/warranty info leaflet and a sticker. There is no 2.5 to 3.5 adapter included.

bit on one of these after UPS lost my freakin Plextor 240gb G3! By the time replacement comes to me after filing claim, the rebate expires (actually expired yesterday).

ADDENDUM: ordered this in the nick of time. Price now up to $233!!

Last edited:
Stop spreading fud. The usable size of the 256 and 512 drives are the same once they are formatted. Do a little reading before spreading misinformation!!!!
Unbelievable.

Please set your title back to Noobie. LOL!

Back