SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB $279

Happy00000

Limp Gawd
Amazon.com has the SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB SATA 6.0 Gbs 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive for $279 now.

Linky.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Too bad they don't have a 480 vs 480 review. Higher capacity tends to result in faster transfer rates.

Any word on what ram the Sandisk uses? I know there is a bit of controversy on the subject as far as what memory Sandisk uses and what they advertise as using.

Looks like MLC? If so a good comparison to the Samsung 840 Pro.. faster than the EVO? Might pick it up..

Last edited:
Too bad they don't have a 480 vs 480 review. Higher capacity tends to result in faster transfer rates.

Any word on what ram the Sandisk uses? I know there is a bit of controversy on the subject as far as what memory Sandisk uses and what they advertise as using.

Looks like MLC? If so a good comparison to the Samsung 840 Pro.. faster than the EVO? Might pick it up..

Anandtech has a review on it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7006/sandisk-extreme-ii-review-480gb

It's a good, SOLID performing drive. I used to have two 240gb's in raid and I had NO COMPLAINTS what so ever.

Fast, consistent and 5 year warranty.

The power draw is making me step back from considering it for my laptop :/

The Extreme II is an above average performer when it comes to power consumption. Samsung's SSD 840 Pro still holds the title as having the lowest HIPM+DIPM slumber power but the Extreme II isn't power hungry enough to be a problem for mobile users.

The raid I had was in my Asus G75, you have nothing to worry about.

They don't match prices per sey but currently B&H has it for the same price till tomorrow (note they close early on fridays).

There is something very odd with the writes speeds (I get 482/431 on my 960GB for example)...but yeah, these user submitted results are highly inconsistent haha. And rather odd that the AT results shows only 392 for incompressible (that's almost 100MB/s less than my result). Don't think it's related to MU03 fw either hmm.

If the EVO1TB was available for that price, I would have jumped on it, but apart from the one time it hit $514...it's been at $525 or higher. Currently $547 on Amazon...so yeah over $100 premium for that privilege haha.

$0.50-$0.60 a gig is when i buy ssd's
Yeah the 960GB @ $435 is 45cents per. Even now it's at $439 at NCIX haha - but dunno if that's FS or not (NCIX likes to play that game).

@you2 - yeah BHP has been surprisingly solid for deals now and then. Helps that they have an excellent Northeast location (NY), so quick shipping.

Weird....I picked up a 1TB Samsung EVO off of amazon for about $475 just a few weeks ago. Must have hit a sale. :)

Take this with a grain of salt but the 840 EVO 'cheats'. My understanding is that it has a small very fast buffer so dpeendent on the test it can have decent burst but then slows down. Also there was a test on longevity (can't find the link) that shows the evo has a few other issues (we know it will fail sooner than other drives but it also returned some bad data in certain cases). Having said this for the price it is a solid SSD and I would not hesitate to use one in a low end system family system (though in my recent build i went with the m500 because it was on sale at time of the build). However, it is simply no where close to the better SSD (sandisk extreme 2, pro 840, s3700 (this one really kicks ass) but those are more expensive. The S3700 is probably the current leader in reliability and performance but cost close to $2 per GB. My current preference in the sub $1 market is extreme 2, pro 840 for high end system (lots of disk i/o ) follow by M500 and as a last resort evo 840. However if I had a specific need I would certainly consider the S3700. At the high end the market looks even nicer next year :)

Back