Sandisk Extreme 120 $90, 240 $160

Are these good SSD's compared to the M4's and Samsungs?

I have four of the 120 GB drives (2 in laptops, 2 in a RAID 0 array in a workstation) and have nothing but praise for them. They are among the best performing SSDs from their generation and I haven't heard of any reliability problems. At this price you won't get a better drive.

Are these good SSD's compared to the M4's and Samsungs?

I have two 240s running in Raid 0 on my workstation since 8/12 with no issues.

I have one 240 running in a 2011 Macbook Pro since 8/12 with no issues.

I have a 240, +1 for excellent SSD drives that are for all practical purposes/uses on par with any other big name SSD drives.

Whats up with the links tho? One goes to newegg and one to ebay?

Id be all over this (or any other) SSD deal if I could find 64GB drives for the same price per GB mark.

Another vote for the Sandisk Extreme's.
120 here, on release it had the best controller on the market. you are confusing these with low end shit. these are not low end shit. these are high end spec SSD's. I would get these over an Intel or Crucial, anyday.

now, make sure it is the extreme line, or you may get some low spec shit.
SSD's are all about the controller and performance. with a little research you will find that many brands SSD's are exactly the same and you can save your money. Which is what makes the extremes sick. High end perf for cheap.

I bought 3 of them the other day for a customer, ended up keeping one since one machine was IDE only and I didn't want to mess with adding a controller.
I haven't benched them, but they run very very well.

The price of these drives leads some people to consider them generic low end drives but they are not. They are really top notch drives. I have a 120 that I picked up close to launch, and a 240 I grabbed about 9 months ago. I have had zero issues with them and they have been running strong since installation. I've been very pleased with them.

I'm very tempted to pick up that 480GB for $330, that's a pretty good price.

The 240 has been rock solid for me the past 8 months and still faaaasst.

I paid $160 at that time so Im glad I bought it when I did....seems like an eternity ago.

*EDIT* I actually paid $154.99 back in Aug 2012. :eek:

no shit?
how funny.... i never realized they were that cheap back then. thats when I got my 120.
but it was a gift. so i didnt pay for it... lol

that is the deal right there.
so tempting....

Uggg.. trying to decide on 2x240s (mirrored) or 1x480 to be used as a datastore for VMs. The problem is I need about 200GB to hold everything right now, which doesn't leave a lot of spare space on the drive if I go with the mirror route. On the other hand, even with nightly backups the idea of running my house on a single drive (virtual PVR, router, WHS, AD, SCCM, Usenet/Torrent box)... :eek:

Eventually I would double either option (4x240's in a striped-mirror or 2x480's in a mirror). I don't really need the performance of a striped-mirror.. just the space capacity. But that will probably won't happen until after the summer.

Choices, choices....

no shit?
how funny.... i never realized they were that cheap back then. thats when I got my 120.
but it was a gift. so i didnt pay for it... lol

I typed $160 and then thought it was $170 so I double checked my amazon account and couldnt believe it was $155. It came up several times before I bit on it.

Nearly a year later its the same price which is unbelievable.

Uggg.. trying to decide on 2x240s (mirrored) or 1x480 to be used as a datastore for VMs. The problem is I need about 200GB to hold everything right now, which doesn't leave a lot of spare space on the drive if I go with the mirror route. On the other hand, even with nightly backups the idea of running my house on a single drive (virtual PVR, router, WHS, AD, SCCM, Usenet/Torrent box)... :eek:

Eventually I would double either option (4x240's in a striped-mirror or 2x480's in a mirror). I don't really need the performance of a striped-mirror.. just the space capacity. But that will probably won't happen until after the summer.

Choices, choices....

Mirror. If for some reason you ever wanted to go full risk you could RAID0, but I've never heard anyone "regret" using a mirror.

160GB $150. It's Amazon so the deal will probably be dead in 5, 10 minutes.

Also Rakuten, use Paypal unless you want someone using your CC to buy goods and ship them to Columbia. Comes with 1500 Rakuten points, worth $15.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought this drive almost 1 year ago @ $180. It has 7167 hours powered on ( 298 days per SMART) and in a non [H] system, non overclocked system, posts the following stats per Crystal DiskMark:

cdzt8dSIYLRoUo7X8Vjy4LicRsiJsz4wBge0iRLRQw=w455-h207-p-no

It may not be the fastest benchmark drive, but at $150 shipped, it damn near hard to beat for RL performance ratios.

[quick edit] previous poster indicated the deal was 160GB for $150, this is a 240GB deal for $150 [/edit]

Last edited:
Went ahead and bit on two of them. I'll have to do some trimming and organization on my VMs, but looking forward to the speed boost when I replace the old datastore :)

$155 shipped for the 240. Great price. I have been wanting to upgrade from my Intel 80gb X-25M. Thanks!

Got my 240gb drive two days ago. Cloned my old drive in about 6 minutes. PS CS5 loads in about 1sec. Crazy!

Back