Sandboxie Now Free

I used to use it. Haven't touched it in a few years. It worked as advertised.

Thanks for sharing.

Used to use SandBoxie years ago and it was great but I dropped it to cut down costs. Since it is now free I'll be using it again.

I have never used it but the Microsoft sandbox works pretty well if you need to run an unknown program. It does not allow you to save states so you need to start over everytime you restart.

I have never used it but the Microsoft sandbox works pretty well if you need to run an unknown program. It does not allow you to save states so you need to start over everytime you restart.

The caveat being you have to enable the Insider Preview version of Windows. I did this to specifically enable this feature and regret turning on Insider Preview. This was on a system I have set exactly to how I wanted it, and Insider Preview caused some havoc with VNC, rebooting, etc.
(This was about 3 weeks ago....is version 1903 now readily available?)

Didn't Microsoft announce the release their own sandbox recently?
Yes, but it is an entire operating system that boots up, not just 1 program in isolation. And you lose everything when you close the sandbox. So that would be something to take into consideration for how you plan on using the sandbox. I ended up using it to test a file sharing program I didn't trust, and I'm glad I did as the program that actually ran was something totally different.

The caveat being you have to enable the Insider Preview version of Windows. I did this to specifically enable this feature and regret turning on Insider Preview. This was on a system I have set exactly to how I wanted it, and Insider Preview caused some havoc with VNC, rebooting, etc.
(This was about 3 weeks ago....is version 1903 now readily available?)
I have two computers and one never seemed to update to 1903 by itself so I downloaded the update from their website. Perhaps you are in the same camp and need to manually install it. The update 1903 has been available for several months.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am too old to deal with reinstalling windows several times a year so I am pretty conservative and hold off on updates till I know they are known to be stable. 1903 has been great for the months I've used it. Windows 10 gave me problems for the first ~2 years but now has finally worked out the bugs.

I have two computers and one never seemed to update to 1903 by itself so I downloaded the update from their website. Perhaps you are in the same camp and need to manually install it. The update 1903 has been available for several months.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am too old to deal with reinstalling windows several times a year so I am pretty conservative and hold off on updates till I know they are known to be stable. 1903 has been great for the months I've used it. Windows 10 gave me problems for the first ~2 years but now has finally worked out the bugs.

That is weird, thanks for bringing that up. I even went in to that computer and did a Update check before I enabled Insider Preview. It stayed on 1805 or whatever was before.

Installed it last night, but didn't have much time to put the program through its paces. Looks like it may have a pretty small default file size - I tried downloading a ~100MB program and got an error about the file being too large to store in the sandbox. Otherwise, it seems to work fine, and be very simple to setup and use. That is important, as I would like to recommend the product to others without having to hands-on install and support each time!

Yea that's an easy fix, there's a setting for the largest file size it will allow etc.

Back