San Francisco to Future Tech Workers: Your Days of Free Lunch May Be Numbered

SO take away free food companies afford their employee's that work for them in the hopes they will go to local places to eat. I guess they didn't realize how many those people WHILE BRING THEIR OWN LUNCH FROM HOME!

Can you give an example of bay area talent ? I'm honestly curious. Talent as in any manufacturing or actually making real things.

Check out the largest companies in the S&P500 right now. “Making things” that make money is now apps, etc. There are a lot of people in the Bay Area that know how to do that.

This is a stupid idea by restaurant owners and the dumb city leaders. It's better the tech companies feed their own. I already have to wait 20-30 min in line at lunchtime in the surrounding walkable area for the few that choose to go out. Imagine if they all had to go out. Want to go further than walkable area? Good luck getting thru traffic and anywhere and back on time. Oh and your company doesn't have a parking structure? Good luck parking again.

And anyway, the easiest loophole is just that uber eats/doordash/etc are going to get SLAMMED resulting in more traffic, more accidents, and eventually delivery services going out of business.

In fact, while I'm ranting, I'd love for these tech companies to offer on-campus housing. Then those overpaid software folks won't be buying up all the property and driving up all the costs.

When did mental illness become a talent?

Anyway, if they served decent food then people would go there for lunch and put up with stepping through the human shit mines, piles of needles and zombie junkies. Yea, outside the U.S. it's got the reputation for being worse than an open sewer in India.

Low income people are moving away from California, but guess what? High income people are coming in. There is a strong correlation between high wage earners and 'talent'.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...s-moderation-behind-but-not-dianne-feinstein/

You know they hire people from all over the country/world? You people from tech colleges like MIT that are on the east coast.

When did I say that the only talent was in the Bay Area? I merely said a large concentration of talent is in the Bay Area. The number of combined employees of tech companies in the Bay Area exceeds the number of employees at other sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley#Economy

As of 2012, Silicon Valley receives almost *half* of all US venture capital. So yes, looking at where investment money is going, Bay Area has an undeniable concentration of talent per area.

Edit: I don't even live in Bay Area. IMO, the primary thing they fvcked up on is housing. But that's not totally the municipality's fault. Bay Area has the highest concentration of NIMBY's I've ever seen.

The really stupid part about this is that cities don't make their main income from sales tax on lunch, they make it on property taxes. If Google et al were to give the Bay area the finger and move to Nevada, SF would look like NYC in the 70's within a year. It's already on the way with all of the aforementioned junkies, homeless, and immigrants from a particular country who think it's normal to throw your garbage on the ground or out your car window. At least property values would tank (eventually).

For the record, I've lived there, I know what it's like from first hand experience. On top of all the other problems, the drivers absolutely suck. Picture a freeway with bumper to bumper Prius driving millennials and 70 year olds in Teslas...

I’d love to visit the Cliff House, or Scomas and Alliottos on the Wharf again someday but way too many bums are allowed to panhandle there and they’re aggressive like the loser in the Micheal Douglass movie “Fallen.”

No sweat, Point Reyes and Nicks Cove a Seafood Restarunt with a Pier smack in the middle of the Oyster Beds will do.
When I really want to avoid Liberalism on steroids I can drop 4-500 at Spinakers in Sausalito.

What fucking ignorant lawmaker thought this would work out? Like seriously. Not their fucking business if companies choose to feed their own employees. It's hard enough to convince companies to do that, now they want to make it illegal for the stupidest reasons ever.

Low income people are moving away from California, but guess what? High income people are coming in. There is a strong correlation between high wage earners and 'talent'.

Actually it's not the poor people, it's the middle & lower middle class that's moving out of California.
Poor are staying because of the good weather and generous welfare benefits.

This is further proven by the fact that California has the largest wage gap in the country (difference between the rich and the poor).

My office has people who make good money, but have chosen to live inland, with a long commute because that's the only way they could afford a house with a yard.
Luckily we have a good work from home program, so they only come into the office 1 or 2 days a week.

I'm lucky since I bought my home over 20 years ago when home where less than 1/3 of what they are now. There's no way I could afford to buy something now, even with 40% down.

What fucking ignorant lawmaker thought this would work out? Like seriously. Not their fucking business if companies choose to feed their own employees. It's hard enough to convince companies to do that, now they want to make it illegal for the stupidest reasons ever.

This is San Francisco, the nanny state center of the left here in California.
They always know what's best for you, because you are too stupid to understand the great work they are doing.

Here's a thought - don't open a fucking restaurant near offices where employees get free food.

It is more of an instance of tech companies moving to SF and opening close to these restaurants I believe. That being said, if said jobs were not there said tech employees might not be either so it isn't much of a loss in either case. A lot of it has to do with animosity towards the tech workers who drove up housing prices & prices in general. A lot of the traditional SF residents don't get along with the new demographic. I believe some feel it hurts the far left demographic which tends to be poor and uses class warfare as a way to push politics forward. Hard to have that when the poor are pushed out of the city due to rising costs (even if they vote for it themselves).

Some solutions:

1) Close your restaurant and open inside of an office building.

2) Food prices are very high in SF due to local taxes. Perhaps rally or vote against the people in office - not going to happen though.

Here's a thought - don't open a fucking restaurant near offices where employees get free food.
Yeah except these "tech offices" make up a really small percentage of the total people traffic in and around these areas. That Uber sys admin who's getting a free panini isn't what's causing these places to restaurants from doing poorly..

Edit: I don't even live in Bay Area. IMO, the primary thing they fvcked up on is housing. But that's not totally the municipality's fault. Bay Area has the highest concentration of NIMBY's I've ever seen.

As someone who is developing a new 10+ unit project in San Francisco, I cannot agree more. It’s a cycle of NIMBY’s who elect city officials who then under pressure from their voters to do something about it.

It’s sad, if the process goes from 4-5 years for a project like mine to 1-2 years then there would be a whole lot more housing.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
I used to work at a company that had a 'free' canteen. Hardly any of us used it. In fact the only ones that would were some of the more 'socially uncomfortable' IT guys. We all went out to get lunch or brought our own. They got rid of it in the end. No big deal.

Soon, San Fran will be the biggest toilet in America...maybe world? One day people will comprehend the ass hats THEY place in power for what they really do.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
As someone who is developing a new 10+ unit project in San Francisco, I cannot agree more. It’s a cycle of NIMBY’s who elect city officials who then under pressure from their voters to do something about it.

It’s sad, if the process goes from 4-5 years for a project like mine to 1-2 years then there would be a whole lot more housing.

Just read a few articles on this and it is quite amazing. I can see the problem from both angles...but there is a reason why greed is one of the seven deadly sins.

Meanwhile in the real world in San Francisco we had two shootings (one person died) on our roving gun battle freeways.

Two people I know of were slashed with blades on our public transportation system. One of them in the face.

Yet here we are worried about bag lunches. Priorities people.

Hi All

Depending what part of California you live they have Great weather. I'll grant you it's expensive & all, but if you have the money, it can be very nice. My Brother has been trying to convince me to come to San Diego for a while now. Have to say I'm really getting tired of these NY Winters, so you never know

I would stay in NY, if you move to CA chances are very high you will leave (due to things like the OP) and end up in the PNW, and we’re already full up!

I always said California is a dream world, where its a great place to visit but i would never want to actually live there.....These types of laws that are proposed are the exact reason I would never take my family there to live.
I mean come one banning a private company's right to provide food ( ON THEIR OWN DIME ), and forcing the employees to buy from local restaurants is just plain ignorant. At least I could somewhat understand if they made the company put a restaurant on campus with a choice to pay for the food......you know good ol' fashioned competition.....if the food is good enough people will pay once and a while instead of getting "ok" free food. Just My opinion.

Never mind that the ills of a specific city's brain-dead monoculture could be reflected statewide...

Nope! NEVER HAPPEN!

I'm sure the folks in the free state of Jefferson would love your assertion.

I'm sure the folks in the free state of Jefferson would love your assertion.

No free state for you, the Dem's will never let it happen.

Just like the proposition to split the state in 3. Even it had passed, it would have been killed by the courts or the legislature.
However, they found a judge to kill it before it ever made it to the ballot.
Guess they figured it would help bring out the Republican voters, and they didn't want to take the heat killing it after it passed.
Much easier to have a single judge take the heat.

No free state for you, the Dem's will never let it happen.

Just like the proposition to split the state in 3. Even it had passed, it would have been killed by the courts or the legislature.
However, they found a judge to kill it before it ever made it to the ballot.
Guess they figured it would help bring out the Republican voters, and they didn't want to take the heat killing it after it passed.
Much easier to have a single judge take the heat.

I'm all for splitting larger states (like California/Texas) into multiple states with roughly equal population, because it makes the electoral college more fair (but then again, why the US doesn't have a popular vote is dumb). It's true that the people in Jefferson are consistently not represented by larger California politics. But then, on the converse side, I think we need to lump a lot of the small states together because they have a disproportionate amount of voting power relative to population.

Also, there is no way that the split would've passed a popular vote; it was literally polling 3:1 against.

I'm all for splitting larger states (like California/Texas) into multiple states with roughly equal population, because it makes the electoral college more fair (but then again, why the US doesn't have a popular vote is dumb).

The reason our founders created a republic and not a democracy is because a pure democracy with a popular vote is nothing more than mob rule.
It's 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

I would stay in NY, if you move to CA chances are very high you will leave (due to things like the OP) and end up in the PNW, and we’re already full up!

Hi All

I'm staying in NY. Was just talking is all. Too much invested here to move now

I'm all for splitting larger states (like California/Texas) into multiple states with roughly equal population, because it makes the electoral college more fair (but then again, why the US doesn't have a popular vote is dumb). It's true that the people in Jefferson are consistently not represented by larger California politics. But then, on the converse side, I think we need to lump a lot of the small states together because they have a disproportionate amount of voting power relative to population.

Also, there is no way that the split would've passed a popular vote; it was literally polling 3:1 against.
The forefathers were smart about the electoral college because California has the highest population in the country which means California would control the laws and government trajectory over say South Dakota. The people are very different and live very different lives. I just think to myself I'm glad we don't have popular vote. I find the larger populated area's the less socially intelligent people.

Seriously? someone wakes up in the morning and thinks "hell yeah, this is my jam! I'm going to get rid of those fortune 500 lunch programs so I can prop up a hypothetical hole in the wall restaurant and get 6001 virtue signalling points"

The forefathers were smart about the electoral college because California has the highest population in the country which means California would control the laws and government trajectory over say South Dakota. The people are very different and live very different lives. I just think to myself I'm glad we don't have popular vote. I find the larger populated area's the less socially intelligent people.
This. You be surprised how much the left would of praised the EC if the 16 election results were reversed.

how dare businesses provide restrooms as a perk.

one place i worked.. we "joked" how we were waiting for the owner to put coin machines on the stalls.. forcing people to pay to use the toilet.

he was a cheap bastard

LOL

Where are the liberals tell us how only democrats are experts and introduce legislation that works. Only the crazy republicans ignore maths and the science when introducing legislation.

The reason our founders created a republic and not a democracy is because a pure democracy with a popular vote is nothing more than mob rule.
It's 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

First past the post democracy was an essential argument against unfair taxation from the British Parliament, because arguing against first past the post would basically be nullifying the whole reason to rebel in the first place. Implementation of it gave out-sized power (in the form of the Senate) to the smaller states due to the trajectory the Revolutionary War was headed. For the larger states, a loss in the war would hurt considerably more than 'power-sharing' with the smaller states at the time.

So basically you're saying that the votes of the few (not to pick on South Dakota, but hey), matter more than the votes of the many?

Furthermore, on that note, what about the urban areas in South Dakota, which are consistently under-represented (similar to Jefferson in California)? And your argument makes little sense in terms of the Federal government trajectories (with its various sub-committees). A senator from South Dakota may very well exert and control government trajectories in other states. For instance, Tennessee senator Marsha Blackburn, the champion of anti-net-neutrality, certainly exerts an out-sized influence on Internet policy that affects ALL 50 states.

The biggest problem with first past the post type systems (like in the US), is how the posts are defined. Your argument about South Dakota/California is certainly true, but it gets a little grey when we're comparing South/North Dakota. I mean, the whole point of splitting California into 3 was that there are regions in California that weren't sufficiently being represented (Jefferson) at the state level. So I'm merely speculating the inverse could be true as well, where multiple states are actually similar enough that they could in theory be one state. Of course no one in those states will want to give up their voting power.

Last edited:
Furthermore, on that note, what about the urban areas in South Dakota, which are consistently under-represented (similar to Jefferson in California)? And your argument makes little sense in terms of the Federal government trajectories (with its various sub-committees). A senator from South Dakota may very well exert and control government trajectories in other states. For instance, Tennessee senator Marsha Blackburn, the champion of anti-net-neutrality, certainly exerts an out-sized influence on Internet policy that affects ALL 50 states.

And if the federal government was still as small and limited as the founders had envisioned, we wouldn't be having this argument.

And if the federal government was still as small and limited as the founders had envisioned, we wouldn't be having this argument.

And one would argue if the Federal government was not expanded in the early 1900s, the United States would be nowhere near as modern or the current powerhouse it is today.

This is evidenced by the growing pains of India, where each of the states is extremely autonomous. Where companies (even domestically) in India have difficulty doing business across state lines because each state has vastly different regulation, requirements, and laws.

This sort of bullshit isn't just limited to San Francisco. Seattle is close on their tail with the amount of absolutely asinine bullshit legislation. I was born here. Grew up in and around Seattle, and have loved this place my entire life until just recently.

They're attempting to turn it into some kind of sci-fi utopia, but going about it in the most misguided ways imaginable. They hate corporations and wealthy people, but they also hate poor people at the same time. So, exactly who is supposed to live in this city. As someone that's (I would guess) considered middle to upper middle class, I am so glad I live outside the city limits now.

My wife and I have been talking about just moving altogether for a while now. She's from Hawaii, and has family there. My company has a subsidiary there. While it's expensive to live there, things seem a bit more laid back, so that might be more my speed these days. :D

The way SF and Sea are going, we're going to see some shoddily built utopia cities, which are going to quickly become the cyberpunk dystopias we tend to like as the settings for stories, movies, and games I think. They keep building taller buildings, pushing out the working class, expanding homelessness (and not just your typical transients, but formerly working-class, somewhat intelligent, and organized people who are now fine with crime) banning things, taking away parking, taxing sugar, and pushing the wrong types of environmental regulations. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of disaster now.

Seeing stories like this just make me think this all the more. Seattle is like Mini-San Francisco these days, so I can pretty much plot the future based on what happens down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back