Samsung's take on 28" 4K - U28D590D

General Lee

Limp Gawd
So it looks like Samsung is bringing their version of the 28" 4K monitor.

Samsung_UD590_3.jpg

http://i.hardware.fi/storage/pictures/1024/Samsung_UD590_4.jpg

The press release was light on details, but it's no doubt the same 1 ms 10-bit TN panel as the rest of them. No mention of refresh rates using 4K. RRP is 599€ so I wouldn't be surprised if it was 30 Hz @4K like the Dell. They do claim however that there is an optimized game mode.

optimized game mode.

1080p@60hz?

I still think these monitors sold based on a buzz word(4K) will soon be phased out for more affordable proper 4K monitors.
Unless you are a spread sheet junkie there are too many compromises.

It probably uses a 160-180hz LED PWM Dimming frequency like most of their newer monitors, including the 1000$ S27B971D reviewed by Svete Hardware & S27B970D reviewed by PRAD.

I'm buying the first 4k 60Hz 1ms display that comes out that hits <$800. Hopefully they'll release this one in the US soon.

I'm buying the first 4k 60Hz 1ms display that comes out that hits <$800. Hopefully they'll release this one in the US soon.

I have a feeling we are going to have to go through quite a few 30Hz models before we get to 60hz. Hopefully I'm wrong. :(

You'd think with the collective *groan* from the tech community over the previously announced ones that anyone planning a 30hz 4K monitor would step back and re-think it but "heck let's just throw this stuff at the hapless users they ain't even gonna notice! FULL ULTRA HD++!!(*)"

You'd think with the collective *groan* from the tech community over the previously announced ones that anyone planning a 30hz 4K monitor would step back and re-think it but "heck let's just throw this stuff at the hapless users they ain't even gonna notice! FULL ULTRA HD++!!(*)"

Sadly, they are looking to fleece Your Average Joe/Juliet purchaser with the magic buzz words of 4K and Ultra HD. And, if they market it right, they will succeed, despite websites/forums like this one ;) IMO since 3D cost many players a ton of cash (television stations, tv/monitor manufacturers, etc), they have to find some way to make good on something to keep their stockholders happy -- and they've bet on 4K as the magic ticket.

"The screen can apparently support 3840 x 2160 res at 60Hz over DisplayPort
according to the press release which is good news. The press release also talks
about the screen being able to support 1 billion colours, which seems odd given
the use of a TN Film panel. Perhaps there is 10-bit processing but it would seem
odd to have a 10-bit (or 8-bit+FRC) TN Film panel available."
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/30.htm#samsung_ud590

I quite like the design. It seems like it would fit more in an office than a game room though. Matte kind of ruins it for me though. I love me some glossy

and why are they using a 10 bit panel for this TN crap? what difference does it make, the gamma shift will still be horrible on such a big screen.

No vesa mount and no decent stand, what the hell?

Agreed - this is retarded. :( Every single instruction on ergonomics mentions the top of the display should be at eye level. I'd have to sit on a bar stool for that to happen with this turd.

Samsung kept me from buying the MD230 surround setup because it had no vertical adjustment and it looks like they lost me on this one as well.

VESA IS A UNIVERSAL STANDARD. PLEASE ADHERE TO IT.

Agreed - this is retarded. :( Every single instruction on ergonomics mentions the top of the display should be at eye level. I'd have to sit on a bar stool for that to happen with this turd.

By my rough calculations I think I could just barely fit a 38" 16x9 monitor on my desk and still have the top edge be at eye level.

Honestly though, once you get into big displays I think it wouldn't be the end of the world if we went slightly above eye level. Just don't maximize your windows vertically...

Personally I think I'd like a 42" 4K display. That'd be big enough that you wouldn't really have to worry about desktop scaling, it'd just have a whole lot of space for displaying information...

Yall are some whiners. Damn. Let the technology mature a bit. Or go buy the 39" Seiki. It's $400 for cryin out loud.

Lol I think that is the worst placement of HDMI & DVI jacks that I have ever seen on a monitor...WTF!

Anyway it looks like Vegas Matte removal business is going to be booming in 2014!

Back