Samsung’s New Quantum Dots Serve Up Some Tasty TV Colors

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
If you guys are like me, you've seen these new fancy looking Samsung QLED TV's start showing up at retailers, but didn't really know what this QLED thing was all about. Wired has an article up discussing Samsung's new Quantum Dot tech at a rather high level, and also includes a link to a much more thorough dive into the nitty gritty details.

Three things stand out to me about Samsung's new Quantum Dot TV technology. More accurate color reproduction at different brightness levels is probably going to be the big seller. A more stable longer life span compared to AMOLED is another. There is little detail here, but I'm guessing this means image retention is less of an issue. In addition, Quantum Dot tech used to require cadmium, but this new technology is cadmium free, which is a big deal from an environmental regulation perspective.

This new Quantum Dot tech hasn't made it in to current models yet, but when my main Panasonic Plasma finally gives out, I'm hoping these will be around at a more affordable price to make them a worthy upgrade.

"Wen says an OLED-like quantum-dot set is likely years down the line; it’s a concept purely in the research and development phase at the moment. For now, Samsung’s QLED TVs are simply LCD TVs with an additional layer of color-enhancing nanocrystals. And the boost in efficiency doesn’t just enhance these sets’ color capabilities. There’s a trickle-down effect with the improvements, which translates to better black levels and off-angle viewing, as well."

Actually Samsung's Q7 & Q8 series have launched. It's only the top-tier Q9 that is unknown at this time.

Actually Samsung's Q7 & Q8 series have launched. It's only the top-tier Q9 that is unknown at this time.

The article suggests that current QLED sets don't utilize this tech, but "are simply LCD TVs with an additional layer of color-enhancing nanocrystals".

While I love this technology, I just don't care. I don't watch enough movies or TV anymore to matter. I grab my iPad and just watch what I want.

The article suggests that current QLED sets don't utilize this tech, but "are simply LCD TVs with an additional layer of color-enhancing nanocrystals".

Quantum dots are nano-crystals. The new QLED sets represent Samsung's latest generation of QD TVs.

Just get a oled tv now you won't regret it. I came form a plasma and the oled looks so much better

I'm hoping my next TV will not have image retention issues. I'm getting so tired of harassing everyone in the house to not leave still images up, or not to use the mute fucntion on my Denon receiver as I'm concerned the mute symbol might burn into the screen.

OLED-Like Quantum Dot tech might have the potential to be OLED without the image retention!

I'm hoping my next TV will not have image retention issues. I'm getting so tired of harassing everyone in the house to not leave still images up, or not to use the mute fucntion on my Denon receiver as I'm concerned the mute symbol might burn into the screen.

OLED-Like Quantum Dot tech might have the potential to be OLED without the image retention!
Habe you uesed a oled? I ues it as my desktop and i yet to see ir that doesn't go away very fast and only if i look for it on a dark gey screen. Its 20x as good as my plasma in that regard

Why no open forum for the russians/ yahoo story? btw in the time frame laid out my yahoo was also hacked. We meaning yahoo tracked it to china. They even showed me the IP and location it was coming from. They managed to get my gold and gear off of my Wow account. but that was it. I locked it back down. They tried for a few more days to convience yahoo that they was the rightful owner of the account but i had installed all of the back up locks, phone number and a none yahoo account, and other info. but i guess russians could of sold the bulk info to china but i doubt that.

I really enjoy my Phillips quantum dot monitor. Colors are so much more vibrant and rich compared to previous screens I've had.

I'm still holding onto my Pioneer plasma. I'm hoping an affordable OLED with great video processing and input lag shows up soon.

i'm holding onto my Samsung plasma until OLED is affordable.

I will not go back to LCD/LED/Semi QLED etc.

Why don't you just use the power saving features.

My plasma will auto power off at 4 hours of idle use and the built in screen saver is active.

Its a 2012 model.

I really enjoy my Phillips quantum dot monitor. Colors are so much more vibrant and rich compared to previous screens I've had.

I'd probably hate it then. I find screens that others love because of their rich colors to be oversaturated and unrealistic looking. On my Android phones I usually have to go into developer options and enable sRGB mode in order to find the colors tolerable.

My cable/internet provider Hotwire has an old fashioned screensaver function built into the boxes. If the TV image is paused for about 10 minutes then it flips over to a moving corporate logo atop an undulating blue background. I thought pretty much every cable provider but Comcast had something similar.

As someone who will be in the market for a "nice" tv for my bedroom after I finish some renovations, I'll be interested to see what they have out late this year and any weird/cool cyber monday deals. I'm in no rush, and it probably won't get used a ton, but still would be nice to have an intel NUC connected to it and possibly do some steam gaming in the bedroom.

65" 4K is what I want, the quantum dot stuff looks looks pretty cool. Will let the prices come down for another 6 months and see what happens.

It's easy to make up all kinds of exceptional performance for Vaporware. If Samsung can't compete with LG on big screen OLED, there is little chance they will ever come to market with affordable emissive QD tech.

Right now, this is just LCD with an improved color filter sheet.

Sony has been selling these Quantum Dot LCD sets for years (since 2013). They are nothing special.

Samsung is just engaged misleading marketing, trying to pretend it is just like OLED, when it is really just an LCD retread.

Went from a plasma to a Sony X940C and am happy with the upgrade. LCD isn't dead yet, just take a look at the Z9D.

So, someone pointed out to me that Quantum Dot tech is NOT new and Samsung just bought a company that makes the coating. Yes, it's just a coating. Yes, Samsung is just using LED LCD panels with these nano crystals on them. I feel like the OP and several on this thread are misinformed and think this is a replacement to OLED or like OLED tech, but it's not. Hell, I feel like the article is totally misleading just like Samsung. You can't compare an LED to an OLED... completely different tech, so of course it's going to have a longer lifespan.

For me in the photography world, just think of it as throwing a filter on top of your lens to clear out haze or whatever else you want to clear out.... that's all QLED tech is.

I'm no pro on the subject, but crap, as I'm typing this, I noticed that Snowdog (the one who pointed this out to me) posted. He seems quite knowledgeable in the subject!

Back