Samsung’s Folding Galaxy Phone May Cost Nearly $2,000

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung is expected to be the first company to release a foldable smartphone, but the novelty won’t come cheap: according to brokerage firm Golden Bridge Investment, the radical handset will be released in the first half of next year for about 2 million won (US$1,850) without subsidies from carriers. Its 7.3-inch OLED screen will measure at around 4.5 inches when folded.

“This new device is an interesting thing as it will have two inside panels and one outside panel with the two inside panels forming the 7.3-inch screen when the phone is unfolded,” Park said. He added that Samsung Electronics planned to show the prototype to major US and European mobile carriers in separate private meetings during next year’s technology fair in Las Vegas.

For that much I can carry TWO phones, an iPhone and an Android. Best of both worlds!

Won't stop Apple from suing Samsung cause they "found" some napkin scribble and win the patent for it.
Apple isn’t in that market, I doubt they’d go after them.

Apple’s original complaint (other than Job’s vendetta against Android...) was their skin was a direct rip off of the iPhone. They went full out battle mode against a competitor known for ripping off other products in other areas.

Of course they will. Have you ever seen Star Trek and their communicator?

I'm still using a flip phone. Does that make me hip again?

I have finally gotten a smart phone (Honor 7x) but I just use it over wifi. That thing would get annihilated in my pocket on the day to day.

I think a folding smart phone would be a great idea IF it's designed well enough to survive impacts.

I have finally gotten a smart phone (Honor 7x) but I just use it over wifi. That thing would get annihilated in my pocket on the day to day.

You might be surprised. I didn't think either of my smartphones would survive a week, but I've treated them both badly and they've held up. Motorola Moto G went 5 years, and my Samsung Galaxy 7 has gone more than 2. I don't even bother trying to treat them nicely.

I've wanted a samsung flip phone for years but they are pricey. W2016-W2018 they are dual screen and very sexy, not much less than this.
Sounds like this is the model to get.

Back