Samsung's Battery Blowup Makes Me More Likely to Buy the Next Note

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I hear what this guy is trying to say. The Note 7 battery fiasco cost Samsung so much money and grief that there is no way it could ever happen again—right? Actually, the devilish part of me is hoping it does happen again just to see that eight-point battery test turn into a sixteen-point one, and whether they will cook up another apology video that seems more like an advertisement for the company’s testing labs. For those of you who got burned (not literally, I hope) by the last Note: are you going to give the Note 8 a chance?

Samsung now has a head start on safety standards that might have prevented this sort of battery blowup before it even started. With the pressure on to cram ever-larger batteries into ever-smaller compartments and no satisfactory standard for safety, you could even argue that battery explosions were inevitable. But Samsung got there first. Samsung will be the first to successfully pick up the pieces. I know Samsung has no choice but to do it right away. It could be a classic case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger": Even though the company may lose $5 billion cleaning up the Note 7 mess, profits are actually up.

There's a point to be had here. Tragedy is always regrettable but we as a species always seem to learn our lessons best the hard way. The Great Chicago fire in 1871 was an abhorrent loss of life, but thanks to that one event the rest of us since that time have benefited from the resulting improvements that have made everyone safer.

If it has the Edge[tm] screen only, I won't buy one. I _hate_ the screen side edges on my S7 Edge. Edge[tm] has to the worst "feature" ever marketed for a cell phone.

Samsung and battery OEMs already know how to make batteries that don't explode. This situation is simple incompetence.

"The old $FOO was bad, which guarantees that the new $FOO will be good!"

Does not follow...

I have a Note 5 and had plans on getting a Note 7 but due to timing of previous LG phone failure I ended up with the 5. With that said, I'd happily jump to a Note 8.

All I can see is:

SUHLM2P.jpg

As long as the next Note has a micro sd slot I will most likely give it a go. I skipped the Note 5 and stuck with my Note 4 over that. I had both the original Note 7 and the after recal version. They were pretty awesome phones if you take away the catching fire issue. If it has both a removable battery and a micro SD slot I am definately in.

Still on a Note 4, and not likely to move unless it stops working- at which point I might consider a Note 8.

If I don't get one, it won't be due to the battery issue, though.

If it has the Edge[tm] screen only, I won't buy one. I _hate_ the screen side edges on my S7 Edge. Edge[tm] has to the worst "feature" ever marketed for a cell phone.

Not sure what that says about the buyer. :)

Anyhow, I would think that just like the dark but likely true idea of fly the carrier after the crash, going Samsung right now would be a fine move.

I'm still using my Note 4 for work and exchanged the Note 7 I bought for personal use for an LG V20 because it was the closest in screen size and was a brand new design at the time, but there are several things I don't like about it (no stylus, the keyboard layout is annoying, the top edge of the screen is slightly darker than the rest). Unless Samsung gets too stupid with the design, I'll most likely buy a Note 8.

I am still using a S5. As long as it keeps ticking along I have not plans of changing, but when I do I will still consider the Galaxy models. If my phone stopped working right now, I would probably lean more toward the Pixel.

I hear what this guy is trying to say. The Note 7 battery fiasco cost Samsung so much money and grief that there is no way it could ever happen again—right? Actually, the devilish part of me is hoping it does happen again just to see that eight-point battery test turn into a sixteen-point one, and whether they will cook up another apology video that seems more like an advertisement for the company’s testing labs. For those of you who got burned (not literally, I hope) by the last Note: are you going to give the Note 8 a chance?

Samsung now has a head start on safety standards that might have prevented this sort of battery blowup before it even started. With the pressure on to cram ever-larger batteries into ever-smaller compartments and no satisfactory standard for safety, you could even argue that battery explosions were inevitable. But Samsung got there first. Samsung will be the first to successfully pick up the pieces. I know Samsung has no choice but to do it right away. It could be a classic case of "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger": Even though the company may lose $5 billion cleaning up the Note 7 mess, profits are actually up.

Samsung is far from the first to have batteries blow up. Most all laptop manus had these same problems in the past. Many early iphones have their batteries bloat pop and some times burn (iphones up to 3 that used the battery with the gold trim and silver wrap). It is just a fact of the tech that there is always that risk. Samsung just made the news because it was one of their new phones. A guy crashed on a bike with a iphone 6 in his pocket and bent the phone nearly in half and the battery ignited. What actually happened with the samsung note 7 is the corners of the battery were rounded and put the layers of the battery close to each other. In some cases those layers made contact and caused a short. This caused the battery to heat up and catch fire. Now that samsung knows the why the chances of this same failure happening are zero. There were some recalled early models of the kindlefire where the battery broke loose inside do to a clip failure. I had one early on that i repaired and then sold. I seen to others that had the clip fail and one was after it was dropped and the thing burst in to flames. The customer brought it to me knowing id get a kick out of it.

Allot of those loose battery kindles were sold on ebay and i and a couple others began messaging the sellers warning them of this small chance of fire. Again it was just timing that made this all such a huge deal with samsung. Had these flaming phones started a couple years down the road it would never have been a thing.

Just remember right after you purchase one (or any Samsung phone) to make sure and Opt Out within the first 30 days or you will not be allowed to sue them if something goes wrong.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/exploding-phone-samsung-hidden-clause-that-could-prevent-lawsuits/

Ummm, why "could", why not "will", why not "hidden-clause-that-prevents-lawsuits"?

This article specifically references Michal Taylor, but Taylor was hurt when his phone caught fire after Samsung announced the recall, which was certainly after people had all become very aware that the phone's had safety problems and were a fire hazard. This guy went to sleep with the phone plugged in and the phone was laying in the bed with him.

Samsung had issued a recall earlier in September -- before the alleged fire -- but Michael says the phone should never have been sold to him in the first place.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/04/samsung-galaxy-note-7-phone-lawsuit-burn/

I guess what I am saying is that you shouldn't take this article's story at face value and you might want to look into that warranty and the wording on arbitration and see if it's as applicable as this author claims. The word, "could", might be exactly correct, in that given certain circumstances you might have to arbitrate a case, but given other circumstances, you might not.

This guy is more courageous than Apple.

Hopefully he waits to make sure they didn't do internal testing. They couldn't even figure it where the bad batteries were even coming from, surprise surprise, both factories.

Samsung could literally shit on the floor and some of you guys would thank them.

This guy is more courageous than Apple.

Hopefully he waits to make sure they didn't do internal testing. They couldn't even figure it where the bad batteries were even coming from, surprise surprise, both factories.

Samsung could literally shit on the floor and some of you guys would thank them.

But they make nice shit.

Ummm, why "could", why not "will", why not "hidden-clause-that-prevents-lawsuits"?

The point of posting the article wasn't about the guy and his case. It was to inform folks that there is such a clause with Samsung phones and if they desire to keep the right to sue then they have 30 days to opt-out or they have to deal through arbitration after that. Most people are not aware of it.

Back