Samsung....

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I was just sitting here when this popped into my head... did Samsung completely change the industry "standard" for what a smartphone really is/was with the Galaxy Note?? Not necessarily because of the stylus but because of the sheer size of the phone?

It may not have been such a "revolution" as the iPhone... but they (IMO anyhow) compeltely changed the industry and the direction it was headed with the Note Series of phones.

Anyone else with thoughts?

The Note just started the Phablet, but it didn't start large screen phones nor did it change the industry

However I believe the Galaxy S started the huge phone revolution. It was one of the first 4" phones

The Note just started the Phablet, but it didn't start large screen phones nor did it change the industry

However I believe the Galaxy S started the huge phone revolution. It was one of the first 4" phones

Maybe the Note didn't "Start" the large screen phone industry... BUT can you name me one other phone 5.3"+ that has sold even remotely close to the way the Note series has?

Maybe the Note didn't "Start" the large screen phone industry... BUT can you name me one other phone 5.3"+ that has sold even remotely close to the way the Note series has?

It sold that much because it was the only one available....

Comparing tiny screen consumption-only phones to the Galaxy Note series is like comparing netbooks to 12"+ ultrabooks. When you think about it it's amazing to pack the equivalent of a Surface Pro 3 that fits in your pocket back in 2012. With cross platform cloud synced apps like OneNote they make the perfect complementary devices.

Remember, the Note was a "niche" phone on its first iteration. It really didn't go overly mainstream until the Note 2. The first Galaxy phones, while interesting, were kinda shitty phones. That changed with the S2/Nexus.

Nah, I think that honor goes to the Droid X with its "massive" 4.3" screen that was the largest by far (commercially available on a US carrier at least) when it launched.

The Dell Streak was out way before the Note, I think. But no it didn't sell nearly as close because I don't think it was available on any carriers (subsidized at least).

Remember, the Note was a "niche" phone on its first iteration. It really didn't go overly mainstream until the Note 2. The first Galaxy phones, while interesting, were kinda shitty phones. That changed with the S2/Nexus.

I think what really made most "niche" phones go mainstream is the availability on all carriers, which I think is what allowed Samsung to have such market dominance; having the same flagship available on all carriers. Not the BS Moto, HTC, and LG were doing before with phones like the Droid line, One X, and Optimus G.

The Note line carved out the space for giant phones, for those people whose phone may be their only computer (or the only one they have access to for most of the day). It's a significant chunk, but I wouldn't say it completely redefined the mobile landscape -- it just added to it. Most phones sold today still have 5-inch or smaller screens, because that's all most people want or need.

As for the Dell Streak? It was 5 inches, and it flopped mostly because... well, it wasn't very good. It was overly large for the display, it had a low resolution and the custom Android software wasn't hot. Didn't help that this was during Dell's worst period, where it would tease a product several months in advance (killing all hype for it) and change virtually nothing about it even when advances in technology practically dictated an update. Same reason why the Adamo (aka Dell's attempt to "me too" the MacBook Air) fell flat.

The Note series created it's own segment which all the OEMs have tried to compete in and fail terribly. Samsung took a good gamble here and it paid off.

I can't tell if they are releasing half ass products just to have a presence or if they think releasing a half baked product versus the Note will sell well.

The Note series created it's own segment which all the OEMs have tried to compete in and fail terribly. Samsung took a good gamble here and it paid off.

I can't tell if they are releasing half ass products just to have a presence or if they think releasing a half baked product versus the Note will sell well.

It wasn't just gamble. The main success for it is because of advertising.

The first generation of Note is just horrible, and Samsung's phones were just terrible until S2, which is far better than before, but still shitty. It's the commercial and advertisement that push it through, not the hardware itself that truly attract people.

Note series took off on Note 2. The reason for it to success because the name of Samsung is out there with S2. They continue the success of advertisement and push it through, unlike other competitors with minimal efforts.

Back