Samsung Z Fold 4

///AMG

2[H]4U
Just put in my pre-order. Found myself carrying a second phone and a second tablet with me all the time so I figured I can down size a bit and combine them. Tried out the Z fold 3 for a while and it was good except the screen was a bit too easy to dent. Anyone else getting the Z fold 4?

To expensive for me, but I think the form factor is interesting. And I hear that the Fold 4 is going to be cheap(er) to repair the main screen, which is nice. Let us know what you think when you get it!

Preordered, should be in my hands 08/23. Got the 512GB Phantom Black, stand up case with s-pen, buds 2 pro, both were included in promo. Sold my Fold 3 due to lack of e-sim and a month later it was enabled in firmware! Missed it dearly so Fold 4 it is.

I'd be all over it if I could figure out how to deal with a situation I had.

S22 Ultra currently, got on AT&T trade in deal $1000 when I got it. Have $900~ left to pay for it through their monthly installments. But we are moving this week to a new city with bad coverage with ATT at the new house. I may have to switch to Tmobile or Verizon and would need to do their deal for moving over or trading it in. They said the S22 I have will not work on their network. But the 3 other phones (iPhones) will. I didn't want to buy the Fold 4 now and get stuck in a situation switching that might hurt me. I'd have to pay the discounted price of around $800-900 for it with trade in, and pay off the $900 with ATT.....just didn't make financial sense.

Yes that is a bummer when you have to switch carriers! As soon as a number is ported over the EIP balance is added to the final bill.
The ATT version should work on TMO but the gotcha is ATT sim locks their devices on EIP.

Got an hour ago. So far its a big improvement software wise over the fold 3. I had a lot of issues with the fold 3 software wise with the way I wanted to use it. 3 app windowed mode works excellently, navigation around with the bottom bar is much better. Haven't tested battery life but so far reports seem to say 20%+ better SOT which is a huge for me.

IMG_6365.jpg

Wow, lucky to get them early!
I have a Fedex tracking number with delivery estimate of Tuesday the 23rd but not sure this will hold as it still shows label created and FedEx not in possession at this time.
Oh well, Samsung shows the 26th.

Wow, lucky to get them early!
I have a Fedex tracking number with delivery estimate of Tuesday the 23rd but not sure this will hold as it still shows label created and FedEx not in possession at this time.
Oh well, Samsung shows the 26th.
Quite a few people seem to have gotten theirs from T-mobile early, a lot of posts saying today as well. Quite a few are in Texas as well it seems.

Just got a notice from FedEx, it was picked up. Delivery 08/23.
It almost seems like they are getting these out earlier on purpose.
Perhaps so the return window closes before Apple makes their iPhone 14 announcement.
IMHO, that is irrelevant as it's a different market.
Can't wait for it!

Just got a notice from FedEx, it was picked up. Delivery 08/23.
It almost seems like they are getting these out earlier on purpose.
Perhaps so the return window closes before Apple makes their iPhone 14 announcement.
IMHO, that is irrelevant as it's a different market.
Can't wait for it!
I think some of the overseas markets ignored the launch date so Samsung okayed the early launch for everyone. Some people got theirs a few days ago where today was the early launch for t-mobile it seems.

The official Samsung case with s pen is a bit slippery to me. The kick stand works well but I think I am going to go with another case with a kick stand.

The underscreen camera hole has been improved enough so that it doesn't bother me anymore. On the fold 3 it really bothered me. It wasn't even a circle and the pixel density was so bad along with the size. Not a big deal anymore.

Got a note 9 512

Trading in for z 4 fold 512 black

800 off price of z4 vzw promo

Too good to pass up

Got my tracking no from vzw today
Im a heavy YT consumer so I figured it'd be enjoyable on that big ass screen. Other than that phone is a toy. For work ill use my 6800h 3070ti lappytop

? Recommend a case please?

Got a note 9 512

Too good to pass up

Im a heavy YT consumer so I figured it'd be enjoyable on that big ass screen. Other than that phone is a toy. For work ill use my 6800h 3070ti lappytop

I did it through Samsung, and got the free case with S pen. Does VZ not have that promotion?

I did it through Samsung, and got the free case with S pen. Does VZ not have that promotion?
T-mobile had the free case promotion so I'm guessing vzw should have had something. I ordered another case that should get here today will let you guys know how it is.

Got a note 9 512

Too good to pass up

I just ordered this case via Amazon for $40. I like the idea of having a place to store the S pen (I like it at the hinge more than at the back). Then again, the case company name is Caka (lmao who came up with tthat?), so hopefully it does NOT live up to its name.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finally got the dual launchers down for the fold 4 with Bixby routines. Using MS Launcher for the front, and One UI for the main screen. I'm stoked. Perfect combo so far for me.

I've been using my Zfold 4 since last Friday.

So far I am quite happy with it. The front cover screen is actually much more usable than I expected. Being narrower than the large screen phones I'm used to using (Samsung Note Series, Pixel XL, iphone 13 Pro Max etc.), it feels more comfortable and secure in my hand. This makes it a bit nicer for taking photos/videos or phone calls.

The inside screen is as expected... a small tablet. I like it and find it makes reading things much easier for me. The software features are actually pretty darn well thought out and I haven't really had any standout issues so far. Everything just kind of works so far for me.

So far I don't have any significant concers about battery life, but as expected, I would say it doesn't really compare to the iPhone 13 Pro Max or the S21 Ultra I had before.

I've been using my Zfold 4 since last Friday.

So far I am quite happy with it. The front cover screen is actually much more usable than I expected. Being narrower than the large screen phones I'm used to using (Samsung Note Series, Pixel XL, iphone 13 Pro Max etc.), it feels more comfortable and secure in my hand. This makes it a bit nicer for taking photos/videos or phone calls.

The inside screen is as expected... a small tablet. I like it and find it makes reading things much easier for me. The software features are actually pretty darn well thought out and I haven't really had any standout issues so far. Everything just kind of works so far for me.

So far I don't have any significant concers about battery life, but as expected, I would say it doesn't really compare to the iPhone 13 Pro Max or the S21 Ultra I had before.
Does your z4 get really hot? Just unboxing and setup made my z super warm. Almost uncomfortable to hold. Hoping a case will help cool the experience. Just got mine in from vzw last night. Going to vzw retail store today to buy a case and s pen and Samsung buds 2 pro etc...

Also the fold open tablet screen if im right has a permanent screen protector on it right?

So went to VZW today. Got two sets of Samsung Buds 2 Pro for 50% each / Cases with S pen for 50% each / Zagg Screen Protectors with lifetime warranty for $37 each So not bad really consider full retail price would have been extremely expensive but Samsung's deals were very good!

I have not noticed any abnormal heat when my Zfold 4. I have had phones that run way hotter than this. I havne't bothered to try any games or anything though. Just basic setup tasks etc. camera, seems normal to me.

As for screen protectors. There is one pre-applied to the internal screen. If you got a screen protector for the inside screen as well as the front from "Zagg" and put it on top... I persaonlly wouldn't mess with screen protectors on the inside screen considering Samsung warrants and will replace the internal screen protector anyhow... Putting something on top could cause issues with folding over and over, plus I'm not sure why you would put a screen protector on top of a screen protector...

Anhow, enjoy your phone. Yes it was expensive, but enjoy it and don't constantly worry about destroying it . Everyone seems to be super concerned about the durability etc. of this phone, but save for some folks who have had some dfects, it seems to be quite durable overall. Plus if you pre-ordered you got a free year of extra coverage / insurance anyhow.

Personally, I am using my phone as it came out of the box. No extra screen protectors, no cases etc. So far so good. :)

Mine stays cool, probably the coolest phone I've owned.
The only time there is warmth is using Android Auto where the battery is charging and the phone is playing youtube music and routing maps through the head unit.
Haven't played any real games (not a gamer) except Galaxy Bowling HD but I don't think that stresses things much, like playing Solitaire on my Threadripper! 🙃

Received my Fold4 from the Google Fi deal posted here https://slickdeals.net/f/16076047-samsung-fold-4-799-at-google-fi-799?page=51#commentsBox which made the phone $800 with a port-in number which is easily done via Google Voice plus a reasonable trade-in made the phone less than $300 out of pocket.

It's an interesting formfactor and the unfolded screen size is amazing compared to traditional phones. The downside is that it's also quite bulky, especially with a case (using the official Samsung kickstand case).

Anyone rocking this naked? I'm tempted to.

Now that you guys have had these for a while, what are your thoughts?

Some specific questions:
  • Do you use a case, and if so - how bulky is the phone? (Male user, pocket portability?)
  • Do you have a case you like / don't recommend?
  • What's the biggest annoyance?
  • If you have a stylus - do you actually use it that much? What applications?
  • Do you feel like it was worth the cost? (i.e. any regrets?)
  • Has it actually taken over your tablet / non-phone device usage? (i.e. is it really useful as a tablet, or just a cooler thing to have for travel / work than lugging around a full sized tablet?)
  • Catchall: what advice would you give someone contemplating getting the Fold 4? What do we need to know before making a decision?

Now that you guys have had these for a while, what are your thoughts?

Some specific questions:
  • Do you use a case, and if so - how bulky is the phone? (Male user, pocket portability?)
  • Do you have a case you like / don't recommend?
  • What's the biggest annoyance?
  • If you have a stylus - do you actually use it that much? What applications?
  • Do you feel like it was worth the cost? (i.e. any regrets?)
  • Has it actually taken over your tablet / non-phone device usage? (i.e. is it really useful as a tablet, or just a cooler thing to have for travel / work than lugging around a full sized tablet?)
  • Catchall: what advice would you give someone contemplating getting the Fold 4? What do we need to know before making a decision?

1. Yes I'm using the Samsung official kickstand case. It's quite bulky but usable, even with slim-style pants.
  2. I've only used the official case which seems to offer adequate protection and the built-in kickstand makes it a fantastic travel device.
  3. I have a few
    1. The inner screen gets dust and fingerprints which normally your pocket 'cleans' but that doesn't happen when its folded.
    2. App scaling varies with some apps only showing in the center (Amazon Shopping, Instagram) which defeats the purpose of the large screen.
    3. Not all apps transition between folded and the outer screen, requiring an app restart. Though this is automatic, it doesn't always transition nicely.
  4. No stylus.
  5. Yes, especially at the $800 pricepoint. Not at the original MSRP.
  6. I took this with me to LA and left my tablets at home. It performed extremely well as my phone, tablet, and portable gaming system with little drawback. Especially with the built-in kickstand. From a work perspective, the split screen support for a lot of work apps (like Teams and Outlook) really helped with productivity. Very impressive.
  7. It uses the same camera system as the S22+ which is good but not as good as the S22 Ultra though interestingly it does not suffer the shutter lag that the S22+ and Ultra does. The photos are fine but I still think the Pixel 7 Pro, iPhone 14, and S22 Ultra edges out here so if photos are a priority for you, it won't be as good as the traditional flagships.

If mobile gaming is something you want, this thing is unbeatable. Works really well with Steam Streaming as well as android native games.

1668285670445.png

I took this with me to LA and left my tablets at home. It performed extremely well as my phone, tablet, and portable gaming system with little drawback. Especially with the built-in kickstand. From a work perspective, the split screen support for a lot of work apps (like Teams and Outlook) really helped with productivity. Very impressive.
How about when you are home? Do you find yourself defaulting to this as your tablet because you're already carrying it - or do you end up hunting for the last place you set the tablet down b/c it's just better (for whatever use in that moment)?

(And thanks for the very fast and thorough answer!)

How about when you are home? Do you find yourself defaulting to this as your tablet because you're already carrying it - or do you end up hunting for the last place you set the tablet down b/c it's just better (for whatever use in that moment)?

(And thanks for the very fast and thorough answer!)

At home I find myself using the outer screen more often than not with tablet mode usually for bed time. I never used a tablet much while at home though my only tablets are a couple of Surface devices so not really comparable.

Big question about fold 4 is does it hold up long term? I hear its only rated for certain number of folds? Also Fold doesn't have internal storage for s pen which doesn't work on the cover screen. No SD card is also :(.

Still using a Note 8 which held up really well for 5 years baring battery is getting a little weak. Had a Note 3 before that which I upgraded to the Note 8 cause I ran out of storage space and used it as a spare phone for pokemon go and second line for a total of 8 years on that phone till AT+T turned off 3g. Do folds last that long? If I paying top dollar expect a device that will last me awhile.

Big question about fold 4 is does it hold up long term? I hear its only rated for certain number of folds? Also Fold doesn't have internal storage for s pen which doesn't work on the cover screen. No SD card is also :(.

Still using a Note 8 which held up really well for 5 years baring battery is getting a little weak. Had a Note 3 before that which I upgraded to the Note 8 cause I ran out of storage space and used it as a spare phone for pokemon go and second line for a total of 8 years on that phone till AT+T turned off 3g. Do folds last that long? If I paying top dollar expect a device that will last me awhile.
The Z Fold 3 apparently held up well so long as you took reasonably good care of it, and I'd expect the 4 to be a bit better. With that said, this is still young technology that's more fragile than conventional phones.

If you have to ask, you're probably better off getting an S22 Ultra (or waiting for the S23 Ultra likely coming in February). You don't want to spend your days worrying that something might go wrong, even if it's unlikely to happen. That and you'd get an included S Pen with a built-in storage slot, which sounds like it'd be a nice plus for you.

Fold 4 going strong here. Like my Fold 3, it does have a bit of crunching noise when unfolded, but the displays are perfect. Not worried about it getting trashed in the least.

Aurelius
Thank you. Dual or tri screen phones interested me cause the lg thin q dual screen microsoft surface duo and xiaomi triscreen are fairly popular with the pokemon go crowd to run two accounts on one screen and you can be on discord and have app open so was interested in possibly zfold but was worried about the durability. May look at the S23 ultra and Sony Xperia I V. Doesn't look like there will be a new lg thin q or Microsoft Surface duo any time soon and XIaomi triscreen is China only. Not in a big rush to get a phone.

Back