Samsung XP941 still the current go to M.2 SSD?

FRZ

2[H]4U
Going to replace my boot drive and wanted to go M.2 format since I am on the X99 platform. Seems like the xp941 is the most consistently recommended of these types of drives. Would that be my best bet? Any other brands to consider?

I am running an X99 Classified btw.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the sm951 anywhere. Guess I'll wait, no use buying dated tech

wait for the sm951! I have the xp941 256, they have some reviews on the sm. I would wait.

oh. the xp941 is the best there is now. but the sm is going to be better.

I read that my board only supports pci express 2.0 4x, and the sm951 is a higher standard. Would it still be faster?

Speed in what? If all you are doing is booting then you won't see a difference in any drive.

Yeah that's the funny thing about SSDs, there is a huge jump from a HDD to an SSD but its only small increments in performance from SSD to SSD ( real world not benchmarks)

It might take 1 minute to boot fro a HDD and say 10 seconds with an SSD, getting a better SSD drops it to 9 seconds , big woop. Sure its 10% better but would you never notice.

Yeah that's the funny thing about SSDs, there is a huge jump from a HDD to an SSD but its only small increments in performance from SSD to SSD ( real world not benchmarks)

It might take 1 minute to boot fro a HDD and say 10 seconds with an SSD, getting a better SSD drops it to 9 seconds , big woop. Sure its 10% better but would you never notice.

Right, unless you are working with large files that save often, other wise you are spending big bucks for marginal increases.

Well my backup drive is giving out so I was looking to move my 840 pro as storage and grab a new drive for OS, games, etc. Being that prices are not far off, I thought I might as well jump to an M.2 drive

Big jump in the new Intel 750 NVMe SSDs

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1857626

How much faster will Apps/OS boot vs a average SSD now?

In the few real world benchmarks I have seen not faster at all. Although I would like to see a more thorough review.

Last edited:
Back