Samsung XP941 m.2 (X2) Vs. Samsung 850 Pro?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Finishing up my upgrade.. last thing on the list is either keep the Samsung 850 Pro 256 or get the Samsung Xp941 but it will only be ran on x2 lanes limiting it to 10gb/s. I have a buyer for my SSD already if needed so I won't lose any $ on it. The Plextor M6e is also another option. Thx for any feedback! I haven't been able to see any reviews comparing the 850 Pro to the Xp941 when only 2 lanes are used.

Finishing up my upgrade.. last thing on the list is either keep the Samsung 850 Pro 256 or get the Samsung Xp941 but it will only be ran on x2 lanes limiting it to 10gb/s. I have a buyer for my SSD already if needed so I won't lose any $ on it. The Plextor M6e is also another option. Thx for any feedback! I haven't been able to see any reviews comparing the 850 Pro to the Xp941 when only 2 lanes are used.

The 850 Pro is no slouch. What sort of workloads and use cases are you hoping to improve with the upgrade?

If you're just doing typical desktop activities such as occasionally moving files around and gaming, then you won't see any tangible benefit to upgrading from the 850 Pro.

Unless you're doing something that you know is bottlenecked on I/O, I'd save your money and stick with the 850 Pro. It's a very solid drive, and those dollars you save would be better used for a larger drive in a year or two when prices come down even more.

The 850 Pro is no slouch. What sort of workloads and use cases are you hoping to improve with the upgrade?

If you're just doing typical desktop activities such as occasionally moving files around and gaming, then you won't see any tangible benefit to upgrading from the 850 Pro.

Unless you're doing something that you know is bottlenecked on I/O, I'd save your money and stick with the 850 Pro. It's a very solid drive, and those dollars you save would be better used for a larger drive in a year or two when prices come down even more.

Well I have a laptop I can slip the 850 Pro into and I had kinda planned to do that. I do have an older SSD I can put in the laptop as the original plan. I will probably just hang on to the 950 maybe wait on Sata Express drives and see how they fair in the future?

Intel is releasing a new PCI based SSD you should look at

I've got two of the 850 Pros in RAID 0, and would recommend the SM951 NVMe edition. It's the successor to the XP941 (which I also own), and faster than the Intel 750 in most benches.

This version should be available within the same timeframe as the 750.

I've got two of the 850 Pros in RAID 0, and would recommend the SM951 NVMe edition. It's the successor to the XP941 (which I also own), and faster than the Intel 750 in most benches.

I think ill go ahead and load it up like it is and wait for what is coming. I can easily reload when i see the m.2 and Sata Express drives.

Wish I could find some reviews of it in x2 mode and not just x4... Most of us on Z97 boards will not have x4 support besides a very few z97 taht have x4. I read that 850 Pro's in Raid 0 offered no real benefits.. how do you like it?

Wish I could find some reviews of it in x2 mode and not just x4... Most of us on Z97 boards will not have x4 support besides a very few z97 taht have x4. I read that 850 Pro's in Raid 0 offered no real benefits.. how do you like it?

Well you also have the option of using a PCI-E x4 adapter to tide you over, that should give you near-4x M.2 slot performance.

The 850s in RAID give nearly as many benefits as these M.2 cards do, they aren't far off my XP941 in sequential benches.
4kQD32 and 4k64Thrd also get a nice bump, but standard 4k read is barely affected.

Here's a bench I took when I first got them:

Kc0Wyok.png

I ran raid intel 80gb when they first came out and loved it. Is Trim supported in RAID yet?

Back