Samsung Will Not Revive OLED TVs

This has some great info on plant and panel numbers coming up.
http://www.oled-a.org/gen-105-fabs-...e-of-large-area-displays-october-17-2017.html

A lot of people waiting to see where the new LG/Sony 75" OLED will end up price wise with the new LG Display Gen 10.5 plant up and running. This plant can now make 75" OLED on a more efficient manner. Or larger is possible on Gen 10.5 equipment. 77" inch is on the older line. Suppose to be able to make a cost efficient 85" inch or more because of next Gen but no new news yet. Seems they are ramping up pretty quick as most of these plants were slated for 2019-2020. That's great news for consumers to finally get quality displays.

The only reason we got stuck with LCD in the first place because companies went the cheaper route instead of the better quality of the SED type of display and wouldn't help make it a standard. I have always hated lcd's and held onto my CRT monitor for as long as I could. Then PC gamed on the Mits. 73" DLP. That lead to 100" screen and pj. lol

So much miss information in this thread... OLED is king but it isn't without its own flaws. Image Retention (IR), and Burn In (BI) are still real issues for OLED. This along with motion issues, limited to 60hz, banding, half-life, dirty screen, screen uniformity, and not being able to achieve higher than 600 nits of brightness. Additionally, OLEDs can not keep a picture bright for more than a few seconds before the safeguards kick in and auto dim the screen to prevent IR/BI. All these reasons is why OLED isn't going to happen for PC monitors until they either figure out these issues and fix them or another tech like Micro-LED, or QD-OLED takes over. I personally know several people who went through six C7 OLEDs trying to get better screen uniformity and get rid of banding issues. Sony's A1E had lots of screen uniformity issues as well. Another issue is cost.. if you want anything larger that 65" you will have to spend $15,000+ for an OLED and then still worry about IR, and BI killing your overpriced tech toy. I am worried with the almost zero changes between C7 and C8 OLEDs that the tech isn't going to overcome these issues.

This along with motion issues, limited to 60hz,.

Now I admit I've never tested it, but the documentation on the C7 I just got can do 120Hz 1080 - so it's not an OLED refresh issue. The 2018 with it's beefier processor might be able to do 4K 120Hz. Maybe that's what you meant...

About not using OLED for monitors - you may be right there. There are a ton of anti-IR/BI features on the 2017. Most of them are pretty transparent and just work in the background. Plasma eventually got to where it wasn't a big issue on TVs, but it never came over to monitors either (I think that had more to do with LCD getting cheap at the right time than anything to do with IR/BI). I couldn't say if OLED is to the same point as Plasma was near the end of it's lifecycle. I haven't owned or experienced enough OLED sets.

I do agree, it's interesting (for lack of a better word) that there is very little differentiation between the 2016, 2017, and 2018 LG models. There could be a ton of things under the hood that have changed, but at least externally I'd be hard pressed to point any of them out.

Then again, on the flip side of that coin, I'd be pissed as hell if my TV was overhauled every year or two and I was in a continual upgrade loop. A TV (and monitor, fwiw) are something I usually only replace every 10+ years. Good news for those that jumped on it early that the tech is still strong enough today to be a good set.

I didn't know OLED were "dead" already. Never was really interested in them until they came WAY down in price. I never adopt first few generations of tech.

Now I admit I've never tested it, but the documentation on the C7 I just got can do 120Hz 1080 - so it's not an OLED refresh issue. The 2018 with it's beefier processor might be able to do 4K 120Hz. Maybe that's what you meant...

About not using OLED for monitors - you may be right there. There are a ton of anti-IR/BI features on the 2017. Most of them are pretty transparent and just work in the background. Plasma eventually got to where it wasn't a big issue on TVs, but it never came over to monitors either (I think that had more to do with LCD getting cheap at the right time than anything to do with IR/BI). I couldn't say if OLED is to the same point as Plasma was near the end of it's lifecycle. I haven't owned or experienced enough OLED sets.

I do agree, it's interesting (for lack of a better word) that there is very little differentiation between the 2016, 2017, and 2018 LG models. There could be a ton of things under the hood that have changed, but at least externally I'd be hard pressed to point any of them out.

Then again, on the flip side of that coin, I'd be pissed as hell if my TV was overhauled every year or two and I was in a continual upgrade loop. A TV (and monitor, fwiw) are something I usually only replace every 10+ years. Good news for those that jumped on it early that the tech is still strong enough today to be a good set.

"From LG, we received a contact where we can forward information to LG about improved motion blur reduction.

As we already know, NVIDIA and other gaming monitor vendors combines 120Hz and a strobe backlight, to achieve excellent motion clarity. LG also has strobe backlights in their gaming monitors as well, such as the LG 24GM79G-B.

Today, 120Hz OLEDs are a great improvement over 60Hz OLEDs, However, this is only a lowering of 16.7ms persistence (1/60sec MPRT) to 8.3ms persistence (1/120sec MPRT). This only halves the motion blur of 60Hz sample-and-hold. To achieve full plasma and CRT equivalence, will require 1ms to 2ms MPRT persistence.

A good primer of display motion blur can be found at Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays."

There are many limitations on why C7, C8 can not will not be able to do 120hz 4k, externally due to HDMI 2.1 not being a standard yet. Internally we have other limitations, it does look like they have some internal apps working on some newer test/lab OLEDs so maybe that is coming 2019/2020.

Back