Samsung will announce its smartphone with curved display next week

"The phone is speculated to be a variant of the Galaxy Note 3 will see limited production run because of the “low production yields” of the curved display panel."

Oh wow... it's going to be really expensive.

Color me interested. Having a hard time finding any other information about this.

hm googled curved phone for samsung and some of articles mention
*Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Active*
i am suddenly very interested

lg-z-concept-1.jpg

LG Z1 concept photo

I have zero interest in the phone unless its flexible or the screen wraps around. , but im fine with it being sold just to increase the demand for larger oled tech and evolution.

I have zero interest in the phone unless its flexible or the screen wraps around. , but im fine with it being sold just to increase the demand for larger oled tech and evolution.

Pretty much same here. Other than it being more durable and shock resistive, I don't see much benefit to having it in a phone. I could see it being very useful in a lot of other applications/devices though.

Pretty much same here. Other than it being more durable and shock resistive, I don't see much benefit to having it in a phone. I could see it being very useful in a lot of other applications/devices though.

like smart watches!

I think this stuff is cool as hell, wouldn't buy it, at least for now but I'm pumped to see it.

You guys don't seem to think outside the box very much. Any of you remember the Kyocera Echo? Well, imagine a phone the size of a Galaxy S4 which you can open like a book and then it becomes a tablet. Or, a tablet where the screen can actually roll out of the chassis and become a full laptop with keyboard. The possibilities are endless.

image19.png

rolltop-foldable-notebook-concept-31-300x266.jpg

Nokia_E10_concept_1.jpg

You guys don't seem to think outside the box very much. Any of you remember the Kyocera Echo? Well, imagine a phone the size of a Galaxy S4 which you can open like a book and then it becomes a tablet. Or, a tablet where the screen can actually roll out of the chassis and become a full laptop with keyboard. The possibilities are endless.

snip

thanks for the pics. never thought of it this way!

No, I remembered all of that stuff when Samsung released those vids a year or two ago. It sounds cool at first, but really, those concept devices wouldn't work near as well as they demonstrate there, in real life. At least with other current tech limitations we have, such as batteries, circuit miniaturization, flexible bezels to run along the sides of the display, etc. Then there's the actual practice of having a fold out phone for tab use. Do you think it would be comfortable to hold or use something like that, esp. if it didn't have the rigidity to hold position no matter how you hold it, like when you go to take a picture, use it in a car (with bumps and vibrations), or walking with it outright. Then there's the question of storing it in your pocket, bag, or whatever else. I can imagine a phone with a foldable display constantly bowing out, opening up, getting hung on stuff, and collecting lint and anything else in my pocket as my wallet does now. I just assume have a normal "slate" type phone with a nice hard surface to interface with so there's no flex or give when I press on it and it would probably be much easier to use with one hand too because of this.

Tabs, laptops, and watches are another story though.

Back