Samsung Unveils New Cinema Theater Screen with Support for HDR and 4K

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I applaud Samsung for its attempt to modernize the cinema experience, but I just do not see many theaters upgrading to this tech. Cinemas have stuck with projection and fabric screens because that is the only practical solution; ordering traditional displays and the massive sheets of glass they require would be both a technical and financial challenge. While Samsung has managed to get a 34-foot screen into manufacturing, I am still afraid to see the cost. This would make for an insane monitor, though—I wonder if it has any of your typical input options.

Specifically designed for the modern blockbuster experience, the new display tech easily accommodates modern theater dimensions, delivering magnificent picture quality at 4K resolution (4,096 x 2,160 pixels). In addition to this, the screen also exceeds the highly-esteemed DCI standards for reliability, technical performance and quality in digital cinema. Thanks to the direct-lit LED tech powering the display, Cinema Screen has the capacity to offer peak brightness levels nearly 10 times higher than standard cinema projectors.

It depends on cost. You have to factor the cost of the 4k projection system and the screen that the theater is currently using as this would replace both.

Separating projection technology from display technology is still likely cheaper and allows for a less expensive upgrade path as its more incremental.

As the popularity of advanced at-home entertainment systems and streaming platforms increases, theaters must reposition themselves as a destination for an incomparable viewing experience that consumers simply cannot encounter anywhere else,”

Will they succeed ?

As the popularity of advanced at-home entertainment systems and streaming platforms increases, theaters must reposition themselves as a destination for an incomparable viewing experience that consumers simply cannot encounter anywhere else,”

Will they succeed ?
They could but the question is would they spend the money? If the picture clarity was top notch, 4k, HDR, high foot lambert with impeccable sound quality (dolby Atmos in a highly calibrated and acoustically prepared space) then yes that would draw me to a theater. In addition to the recliners they have now for comfortable seating with transducers and an Alamo Draft House no talking policy.

For me though they would need to keep on improving as eventually I'll make the jump from 1080p to at least faux-4k with 2-4 Atmos overheads and will be back at home.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
This is the type of tech you would have to see first hand to form the bets opinion on. Brightness is always an important experience factor as you can tell when the local cinema's bulbs are wearing out and you lose the vibrance, pop, and crisp colors that other local, less funded theaters have. Not sure how 3d would factor in with this but it is worth bringing up as traditional cinemas don't deliver enough brightness to capture the same looking image with glasses on.

Those nice digital projectors are super expensive, ones that support 4k even more so. The upkeep on them is no joke either, add to that the cost of bulb replacement and a 34 foot 4k "tv" may start to look quite enticing to theater owners, especially if the purchase cost is cheaper than the initial cost of the projector combined with the yearly cost of running and maintaining them.

Now to convince Samsung they need to do a test run of one of these displays in my living room.

Projector brightness for the top end won't be a huge issue in the future as the light source will be LED. It take some major light cannons to project onto huge screens some theaters have and double it if it's 3D.

I'm sure the quality is very good as with anything it comes down to cost over time and ROI.

As a guy who spent a decade installing and servicing pro AV, I severely doubt anything will ever replace the projectors and screen for large venues. Especially now that laser light engines are now durable and affordable. Screens can now have low gain for incredible contrast and still have excellent brightness. Also, as far as installation goes, a projector and screen can be installed by two guys in a couple days. Aligning and calibrating a multi-segment video wall, especially one the size of a movie theater would be insanely expensive. Also, no matter how perfect that the system is, you will still see a tiny seam between panels. The only way to get around that is to use one rear-project screen with multiple short-throw rear projectors. And with the aging of the individual light engines, there's a color shift so it needs to be calibrated regularly. I don't see any theater doing that.

And making one 34' glass screen?!? LOL! No WAY!!! How are you going to transport it? By choppa? Build the theater around it?!?

The only movie screen size display that I see happening would be something like a high-res video wall that they use at concerts. Where the LEDs are woven in to the fabric. Something that could survive having soda and other garbage thrown at it.

A 3840x2160 screen that has a 34' diagonal is 10.8 pixels per inch. That's doable with individual LEDs.

BUT, when there's an upgrade to 8k, 16k, etc...One guy can replace a projector in an afternoon. Replace and entire display wall? Knock down the theater and start over.

BP

Projector brightness for the top end won't be a huge issue in the future as the light source will be LED. It take some major light cannons to project onto huge screens some theaters have and double it if it's 3D.

I'm sure the quality is very good as with anything it comes down to cost over time and ROI.

Laser may leapfrog past LED actually. Not sure if it can beat a device like this though with the ability to light individual pixels tho.

You would also have to consider that replacing a projector is easier as tech advances and the screen is able to stay the same than if some numnuts throws something at the 34 foot glass screen and breaking it.

You would also have to consider that replacing a projector is easier as tech advances and the screen is able to stay the same than if some numnuts throws something at the 34 foot glass screen and breaking it.
I'm sure they would make it durable enough that said numb nuts could toss something substantial enough to damage it. But like said in a earlier post how would you fix it if it did break. I'm sure it would be installed in pieces but he'll that would be costly.

A shipping container's inside dimensions are 39ft 4ins long, 7ft 7ins wide and 7ft 9ins high.

Can't be arsed to do the math but would one fit in a shipping container taking into account those dimensions and a 21:9 screen?

If not this just ain't gonna happen.

OLED or get the f out.

A shipping container's inside dimensions are 39ft 4ins long, 7ft 7ins wide and 7ft 9ins high.

Can't be arsed to do the math but would one fit in a shipping container taking into account those dimensions and a 21:9 screen?

Pretty sure it assembles with interconnecting panels. That's the standard for large format screens.

Seams in the glass to be assembled on site at the theater or the whole glass is gonna be shipped in a special padded FedEx envelope.

True I had forgotten laser, 4k laser projectors are out now $500k for the very discerning HT enthusiasts. :)

Do most mainstream theaters use acoustically transparent screens? I know that is common in HT installations, I would have gone that route if I had a long enough room to accommodate it. A massive expanse of reflective glass may cause issues but then I haven't' been impressed with the quality of the average cinema.

Back