Samsung Unveils New Branded SSD Powered by 3D V-NAND

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today launched the 850 PRO, a new solid state drive (SSD) line-up featuring Samsung’s cutting-edge three-dimensional (3D) vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash memory technology. The new Samsung 850 PRO, unveiled at the 2014 Samsung SSD Global Summit in Seoul, offers a new breed of performance for solid state drives and will be available globally across 53 markets from this month.

Based on Samsung’s proprietary V-NAND technology, the new 850 PRO is ideal for use in high-end PCs and workstations. Samsung’s V-NAND features a proprietary vertical cell structure and represents a breakthrough in overcoming the density limit currently facing planar NAND architecture used in conventional flash memory, yielding significant speed, endurance and energy efficiency improvements.

Interesting how quickly SSD is advancing, it took what 30 years for HDD's to get perpendicular recording which is kind of like 3D NAND?

Very exciting, but personally I'm more than ready to move to PCI-E SSD storage. Enough of this old school SATA, I say. Enough! :p

Its off topic but someone at the benchmark site linked on slashdot mentioned 3d cpu design and got in a side conversation about heat dissipation. I'm kinda wondering whats preventing intel or amd from filling heat spreaders with non conductive liquid underneath giving you full contact from the die to the spreader for better heat dissipation

NewEgg has them available for pre-order with a release date of 7/21. Looks like they're around the same price as the 840 PRO. They went black and red, so lame. What was wrong with the gunmetal and orange?

Anyway, glad I held off on getting a SSD. Would love to have PCI-E, but would need a cable riser so the drive wouldn't cook while sandwiched between my video cards ;).

So basically dont buy any SSD's until these hit market?

The newegg pricing/capacities seem to be holderovers. The release has different sizes.

Edit.

This is confusing me.

The Samsung release list difference specs. Anandtech has a review up that list different specs.

From the press photos
Random Read 750k IOps
Random Write 115k IOps

From Anandtech
Random Read 100K IOPS
Random Write 90K IOPS

Are they not listing 4k Writes in the press photo's?
The press photos also list 400/800/1600 for drive size. Anandtech and newegg have the typical affair 128-1TB

In any case the M2 drive looks niiiice.

Last edited:
waiting for sataE MB's and ssd's.

till then my intel 520 SSD build can wait

As someone who just installed an 840 pro a little over a week ago, this is a little disheartening. Would it be worth it to return the 840 and get the 850? I see the bench mark differences but do these translate to performance benefits in real world applications?

Its off topic but someone at the benchmark site linked on slashdot mentioned 3d cpu design and got in a side conversation about heat dissipation. I'm kinda wondering whats preventing intel or amd from filling heat spreaders with non conductive liquid underneath giving you full contact from the die to the spreader for better heat dissipation

I tried this very idea once back in the K6-2 days. It didn't really help temps that much and the coolant eventually ate away at the silicone that I used to seal the capacitors that were around the die and corroded/shorted it out.

Another thing that actually helped back int he day was to point a fan at the back of the motherboard where the CPU was.

As someone who just installed an 840 pro a little over a week ago, this is a little disheartening. Would it be worth it to return the 840 and get the 850? I see the bench mark differences but do these translate to performance benefits in real world applications?

Not particularly. Depends on what you do actually. But for general usage, no, this would do absolutely nothing for you over the 840 pro. Heck, it wouldn't do anything over the 840 evo, as there is a limit to what humans can keep up with.

If you're constantly swapping from RAM with large projects like AutoCAD, then yes, this might help you. But if you're in that situation, more RAM would help you a lot more than the 850 over the 840.

So basically dont buy any SSD's until these hit market?

The newegg pricing/capacities seem to be holderovers. The release has different sizes.

Edit.

This is confusing me.

The Samsung release list difference specs. Anandtech has a review up that list different specs.

From the press photos
Random Read 750k IOps
Random Write 115k IOps

From Anandtech
Random Read 100K IOPS
Random Write 90K IOPS

Are they not listing 4k Writes in the press photo's?
The press photos also list 400/800/1600 for drive size. Anandtech and newegg have the typical affair 128-1TB

In any case the M2 drive looks niiiice.

My guess is that the press specs are with RAPID enabled

If you can return it for free, do it. Otherwise sit tight and wait for the 860 Pro ;)

Well, things have certainly changed since I installed my M4. Those were the go to drives "back in the day." I think most any ssd's will be an upgrade these days. I might have to pick one of these up.

NE is charging $30 over MSRP for the 1TB model, not that it matters, as $700 is too much anyways for my casual usage. I'd rather have M550 or EVO for less than $500.

Back