Samsung Unveils MicroLED Displays

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As we've noted before, MicroLED displays represent a massive technological leap over LCDs, and displays with the tech are closer to commercialization than ever. Sony first showed off a 1080p "Crystal LED" prototype in 2012, and several other prototypes have come out since then. Now, following claims that Samsung is ready to mass produce MicroLED displays late last year, the Korean tech giant showed off one such display at CES 2019. Samsung made an oversized microLED "Wall," just like they did at CES 2018, but they also have a more practical 75" 4K screen on display. Samsung also notes that MicroLED is bezel free, which allows users to tile displays any way they see fit.

Featuring self-emissive technology and modular capabilities, Samsung’s Micro LED displays deliver unparalleled picture quality, versatility and design. These transformative TV displays are made up of individual modules of self-emissive Micro LEDs, featuring millions of inorganic red, green and blue microscopic LED chips that emit their own light to produce brilliant colors on screen.

Bezel free tiling sounds fantastic for Nvidia surround or eyefinity. Now we'll have our displays read to do 3x4k when the video cards launch in 2030.

Last edited:
I wonder how long we have to wait until it comes in 49-55" sizes.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
I might be interested in buying a 65" version depending how they turn out and price. I expect these to be stupid expensive for a few years tho.

I wonder how long we have to wait until it comes in 49-55" sizes.

Gonna be awhile. The biggest problem they are having is the "micro" part: getting the LED size down so they can make small pixels. The 75" display is much smaller than anything they've announced before so they are making progress, but still a good ways to go. Size and cost are the issues that the tech has doing forward, it already works great (LED walls are how basically all jumbotrons are done these days). It is likely they'll solve it, but still probably a good ways off before we see smaller sizes.

What we may see, and indeed already are kinda seeing in their high end Q9F series, is a micro LED backlight array behind an LCD. That way they don't have to be as small, but can give some really excellent local dimming.

I wonder how this tech compares to OLED.

OLED has blue pixel life expectancy issues, which can cause burn in (or whatever they're calling it). As long as the screen is large enough to hold all of the LEDs then this is typically considered superior. It might have higher power consumption.

I wonder how this tech compares to OLED.

LED without the organics :) LEDs that use more traditional phosphors instead of the the emissive electroluminescent layer in OLEDs. Should still be able to crush the blacks (since like with OLED, if a MicroLED pixel is off, it really is off) but not have the burn in issues with OLED (which, frankly, are dramatically overblown for most people).

If they can get the price down this could indeed be the worthy successor to OLED and plasma. My Toshiba plasma is still fine, but it (like any display) does have a finite lifespan. I'd love to be able to replace it with a 75" or 85" MicroLED.

Bring it!

Also beats OLED in terms of losing brightness over time, which OLED, like Plasma, suffers from, and is the bigger concern of the two issues is suffers from (image retention and LOL, loss of light)

And max brightness+colour volume for HDR will far exceed the ability of OLED.
OLED have to cheat to produce HDR by using an extra white OLED which reduces its colour volume and max output still has to be limited.

By the time I replace my C8, this should be available at a reasonable price. I assume it'll be 25k or more, but how much more, I have no clue.

I am looking forward to computer display in the next couple of years when I am due for my next display upgrade.

Can't wait, not really a fan of OLED.

Why? Because its better? :ROFLMAO:

Also beats OLED in terms of losing brightness over time, which OLED, like Plasma, suffers from, and is the bigger concern of the two issues is suffers from (image retention and LOL, loss of light)

And you believe it because someone said it? I have tested the light output on both my OLEDs and neither have lost any output capability.

I liie the look of this

"Hmmm my 75" is too small, buys extra panel from samsung, now I have an 85"

"Kids throws something and busts part of the screen, replace that part of the screen"

This can only be good I think

Back