Samsung Unveils Bixby, Its Siri Competitor

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung has officially announced Bixby, its new AI assistant for mobile and IoT. It will be joining the likes of Alexa, Cortana, Siri, and other voice-powered assistants already out on the market but is unique in that it will let users control almost anything in an app and let them jump between voice and touch commands. Bixby is expected to go into everything from phones and TVs to fridges and air conditioners.

Bixby seems different on a conceptual level: It's meant to serve as a new voice-based interface for controlling your apps, rather than just something that you can ask a few questions. "Instead of humans learning how the machine interacts with the world (a reflection of the abilities of designers), it is the machine that needs to learn and adapt to us," Samsung senior vice president InJong Rhee wrote in a blog post. Yes, that all reads a bit like a buzzword salad, but there's definitely a need for a different sort of virtual assistant. Siri has mostly been a disappointment, and Google Assistant is still getting off the ground.

If they ever bring it to the S7 I'll gladly try it. I have a hard time believing that it puts Google to shame, as much as I hate the "OK Google" prompt, the assistant is pretty damn good.

Why do companies always have to make their own propitrty version of something that's already out their. I really wish companies would start putting customer first again instead of chasing after every dollar possible. I am never buying a phone that doesn't have stock Android on it again.

A new way to calculate your every move and store this behavioral pattern in your own special folder that will follow you throughout life. Bixby your life time friend.

I love Samsung hardware... I frackin' hate Samsung software. The frustrating part about this, Verizon will likely skin their own version of Bixby and shove it down our throats.

I love Samsung hardware... I frackin' hate Samsung software. The frustrating part about this, Verizon will likely skin their own version of Bixby and shove it down our throats.

And ATT will take so long to release the update, people will forget it was even there.

i wonder how well app control works, because that's something i find really usefull.
and it's probably going to be 8series exclusive, i just bought a 7 edge couple months back, dont feel like picking up an S8 so soon.

The name is tacky and doesn't flow

True. These companies are trying to be quirky and fun and a name like Bixby denotes a kind of british butler vibe that will be there to help you. If they called it Jeff or Frank, i'd be more inclined to use it, but I'm not going to keep saying, 'Hey Bixby..." all the fucking time.

Hey Bixby, why do I have to wait 6-12 months for updates?

True. These companies are trying to be quirky and fun and a name like Bixby denotes a kind of british butler vibe that will be there to help you. If they called it Jeff or Frank, i'd be more inclined to use it, but I'm not going to keep saying, 'Hey Bixby..." all the fucking time.

Right. Let's face it, we're a lazy species, we're not going to bother using excessive lip movement when it isn't necessary. (y)

Back