Samsung Unveils a Folding Smartphone

Very impressive, looking forward to when these are available for cheaper and when Apple makes one.

It is probably just my sick mind, but i feel this new phone could take dick pics to a whole new level :)
Not least if you can get a screen background that look like a hotdog bun.

Very impressive, looking forward to when these are available for cheaper and when Apple invents one.

FTFY. Careful - you might piss off Apple's marketing team.

I'm all for the cutting edge-tech being offered for cutting-edge prices. Let those that can afford it help usher in the new tech. That notch is FUGLY though. And though I've been a loyal Samsung owner since the Note 2, touchwiz sucks. I only pick Samsung devices for the hardware, and I wish they would just focus on that.

I like it. Like the look. The perceived function ('perceived' because we really don't yet know how well it works). The style. Even the dumb notch doesn't actually bother me this time... probably because of the sheer amount of screen space.
Don't like the cost. Don't like the cost at all. If this is the way phones are going I too will be joining the 'keep my phone a lot longer' and the 'maybe buy a used phone' bandwagons...

This is the sort of thing that might get me to finally get off my lazy ass, and get out of the iOS ecosystem. I'm pissed at Apple for killing the SE/4" screen format (I want smaller in the pocket) and the XS is just stupid expensive. This kinda might be a decent compromise, you know, if it WASN'T $2,000!

I like that it's "smaller" as a phone, and thicker (both features I kinda like, makes it easier to hang on to while talking on the phone, not that I do that often.
And I like that it's larger as a tablet. The big-ole Phablet's have always annoyed me because I don't wear pants with that much pocket, or if I do, I don't want that much phone in them. And I want a larger tablet screen (not a lot larger, 7.5-8.5" is about perfect IMO).

But holy carp. $2,000 is insane. The price-race really has to stop already.

This is the sort of thing that might get me to finally get off my lazy ass, and get out of the iOS ecosystem. I'm pissed at Apple for killing the SE/4" screen format (I want smaller in the pocket) and the XS is just stupid expensive. This kinda might be a decent compromise, you know, if it WASN'T $2,000!

I like that it's "smaller" as a phone, and thicker (both features I kinda like, makes it easier to hang on to while talking on the phone, not that I do that often.
And I like that it's larger as a tablet. The big-ole Phablet's have always annoyed me because I don't wear pants with that much pocket, or if I do, I don't want that much phone in them. And I want a larger tablet screen (not a lot larger, 7.5-8.5" is about perfect IMO).

But holy carp. $2,000 is insane. The price-race really has to stop already.

Buying into it is more akin to buying into a prototype. The customers are paying for Samsung's R&D on this one, so I don't think it's right to chuck this one as "price war".

Calling any of these new smart devices "phones" is a stretch.

I would have preferred something like this where the screen rolls up into a compact device when not in use:
84FD92B7-93B0-4AD9-AF61-F2DCA16CADB3.png

The Samsung phone is too small and thick when folded and not large enough as a tablet when unfolded. The technology for rollable oled is here since LG has a TV that does it so Samsung missed the mark with this device.

Sorry but that artificial audio voice vibrato from the song makes me very angry. Die in a Fire Pro Tools Abusers.

I still have my G7 edge... love this phone.. but I'm on my 2nd battery case.. last (5000mAh) one took a shit, so my new case has a 8000mAh battery (can go the whole weekend easy)... so now my phone is about an inch thick and weighs about 1.5 pounds, and if fits great in my hand.. hate the curved edges, they dont do well with my shrek hands... That folding phone only has 4300+mAh..... no way to put a battery case on that sucker... would look like you're carrying around a car battery :) ...

I was hoping it would fold out to a qwerty keyboard in landscape orientation so i can type on it like a miniature laptop, fold it up and stick it in my pocket when im done. Why is this still not a thing?

I'll buy the "Pixel 5 Origami". This seems like a technology that the first generation looks cool, but you probably don't want to own it until 2nd or 3rd generation. Unless you are a rich tech junky that is, then have at it (someone needs to support it so we get gen 2, 3, etc.)

I was hoping it would fold out to a qwerty keyboard in landscape orientation so i can type on it like a miniature laptop, fold it up and stick it in my pocket when im done. Why is this still not a thing?

Probably because the failure rate of a keyboard like that would mean a very high percentage of devices would be sent back for RMA repair.

You can get foldable BT keyboards though. I used to have one for use with a pocket PC. Sold it to somebody who wanted it more than me.

This is not the phone for 99% of the mobile user base. Every person I talk to about their phone usage pretty much use it for the exact same things. It's always social media, shopping, email, texting, and some bejeweled clone type game.

I'm just waiting for the prices on the S9 line to drop like a rock once the S10 series are actually out.

Or maybe I will get something else.

That device is going to fail the bend test, when someone snaps the hinge by overflexing it.

Yeah I assume it will take exactly 12 seconds for a small child to snap that sucker in half. No more handing your phone to the kid to let them play games / shut them up in the car.

"The new material makes Galaxy Fold flexible and tough, built to last" If it bends its also going to scratch. Screens will be scratched or delaminating in months. Lets have a look at once of these used for real after 3 months. Any bets on how good the screen surface will be looking?

Does it have HDMI and/or Display Port?

It seems to be in the Light Laptop area.

"The new material makes Galaxy Fold flexible and tough, built to last" If it bends its also going to scratch. Screens will be scratched or delaminating in months. Lets have a look at once of these used for real after 3 months. Any bets on how good the screen surface will be looking?

Not very, but that's ok, because the guys paying $2000 are footing the bill as early testers.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It all fun and games, until you realize you can duct tape two S10 and get the same thing :cool:

I used to be excited about mobile phones back when they were newish, and a lot of really cool games were being made for mobile. Getting a newer faster phone with better graphics mattered to me. But then developers learned that they could spam out utter trash games like crazy and just include a million micro transactions and make money.

All good mobile games then dissappeared. Nobody even makes a mediocre mobile game anymore. Just complete trash that any phone can run but that has a billion micro transactions.

So now I see no reason to upgrade at all ever until I'm forced to. At which point I will buy a used cheap phone.

Make a phone twice as thick, that you have to unfold for a screen thats more useful as a tablet than a phone that costs $2k...

Me: Ok, how about adding just 1mm to thickness to give a much larger removable battery, SD slot, 3.5mm in a standard phone format?
MFGs: Fuck off, here is a USB-C dongle.

As time goes on I see less and less phones I would want to own.

They don't add these to make phones more disposable so people have to either pay even more for upgrade or replace more often. Thanks to Apple this bullshit really, even though Apple customers keep touting how great the phones are and yet they keep buying each iteration. People really need to vote with their wallets and then manufacturers will get the idea. For thin phones I really don't get who even cares anymore. Many recent phones got so think you cannot even hold them anymore and pretty much have to put a case on. Like you said, adding back that 1mm would help increase battery life and add other useful features but clearly this isn't good for their business or so the executives think. Kind like like the stupid notch, how that is supposed to look less ugly than a 3-4mm bezel I really don't know. Besides, Apple wasn't even first to come up with one but they get the credit due to sales volume.

With 36 month financing, some people are going to line up for this.

At some point in time after purchase, a phone is a phone. Nothing more.

nothing in samsung's current offerings makes me feel the need to upgrade from my S8.

These phones are bloated with features I'll disable and dont want. The lower tier phones use substandard components ... Pixel phones use last generation hardware all the time.

Why can't anyone make a minimalist phone that uses top tier parts for the parts it does include and can keep the damn software up to date at near release times (maybe even by just offloading the OS development to lineage)?

I must be in such a tiny minority to not want AI spy features, cloud easy-to-hack functionality, biometric easy-to-bypass security, and super huge bezel-less screens that have no hope of fitting in your pants pocket while sitting down.

And yes, the only bendy screen phone worth having is the rollup type that somehow extends into a rigid panel when unrolled. Bonus if it's transparent. I imagine by the time that comes out, you wont be allowed to buy your own computer hardware and you just rent it forever from the manufacturer, next to your tv that you also rent and aren't allowed to turn off or mute fully so you can't avoid the commercials.

How did you live with phones that didn't have edge to edge displays?
A screen should have square edges, I don't want the screen to fill the entire front of the device I hate those phones with "infinite" screens the same as the ones with the notch. It should have a bezel that goes all around the screen.

Last edited:
I still have my G7 edge... love this phone.. but I'm on my 2nd battery case.. last (5000mAh) one took a shit, so my new case has a 8000mAh battery (can go the whole weekend easy)... so now my phone is about an inch thick and weighs about 1.5 pounds, and if fits great in my hand.. hate the curved edges, they dont do well with my shrek hands... That folding phone only has 4300+mAh..... no way to put a battery case on that sucker... would look like you're carrying around a car battery :) ...

You reminded me of this commercial with a dude proud of his battery.

i know the "Don't buy the first generation of brand new technology" trope tends to be overused but I strongly think you should hold off on a folding phone until at least the 2nd generation. I will say, Samsung has great warranty service to ease the growing pains (which I'm sure there will be tons of them, good luck)

Make an s8 size phone...which is the s8 size when unfolded. I want a phone which can fit in my back pocket and not crack when I sit down.

A phone.

Not a camera.

Not a 6-lense media...thing.

Not an attempt at being a notebook that can make calls.

A phone.

Make an s8 size phone...which is the s8 size when unfolded. I want a phone which can fit in my back pocket and not crack when I sit down.

A phone.

Not a camera.

Not a 6-lense media...thing.

Not an attempt at being a notebook that can make calls.

A phone.
Sounds like you really want this: https://www.palm.com/

Reactions: c3k
like this
Yeah.... I'm not getting one of these for at least one or two generations.
This first one is going to be heavily plagued by *very* expensive failures. No thanks on a 1500$+ device.

meh, I'll stick with my many years old $150 J-series samsung... great battery life and works just fine for 99% of my tasks - can't play games or big videos but that's probably a good thing in my case ;)

compared it someone's newer iphone and was like "ffs I saved a ton of money not going for flagship/iphone stuff"

meh, I'll stick with my many years old $150 J-series samsung... great battery life and works just fine for 99% of my tasks - can't play games or big videos but that's probably a good thing in my case ;)

compared it someone's newer iphone and was like "ffs I saved a ton of money not going for flagship/iphone stuff"

Why can't you play games on your J-Series? That's what I've got and I play games on mine all the time.

Reactions: Youn
like this
I would have preferred something like this where the screen rolls up into a compact device when not in use:
View attachment 143468
The Samsung phone is too small and thick when folded and not large enough as a tablet when unfolded. The technology for rollable oled is here since LG has a TV that does it so Samsung missed the mark with this device.

Since we're dreaming, how about a hologram? Better in any way cause.. it's the future

Back