Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

add Horizon Zero Dawn to the list of games that really show what this screen can do. it has HDR and 4k(ish) resolution if you're on a Pro. i always prefer fps over resolution on the Pro. even with that setting, it still looks fantastic. easily the best looking console game i've seen.

if only it were coming to PC......

Any chance to have the tv turn on with signal resume?
If you use the tv for PC exclusively, the remote is only used for on/off tbh.

Resident Evil 7 on PC supports HDR (I was surprised it actually auto-detected and everything). I'm not sure if that's the first PC game with HDR support, but it's probably the best. You need a beast of a machine to run at 4K though.

add Horizon Zero Dawn to the list of games that really show what this screen can do. it has HDR and 4k(ish) resolution if you're on a Pro. i always prefer fps over resolution on the Pro. even with that setting, it still looks fantastic. easily the best looking console game i've seen.

if only it were coming to PC......

I'd say it's on the level with Rise of the Tomb Raider in terms of graphics, maybe better in places. Definitely makes the Pro work and has helped alleviate some of my buyer's remorse regarding the trade in I did a couple weeks ago. Obviously would prefer it were on PC as my desktop is vastly more powerful, but if this is what we can expect from future Pro titles, it's a good thing.

I'd say it's on the level with Rise of the Tomb Raider in terms of graphics, maybe better in places. Definitely makes the Pro work and has helped alleviate some of my buyer's remorse regarding the trade in I did a couple weeks ago. Obviously would prefer it were on PC as my desktop is vastly more powerful, but if this is what we can expect from future Pro titles, it's a good thing.

i wonder what the percent is of people that use "movie" or "resolution" mode over "performance". they seem so sluggish. i can't imagine playing an entire game for several hours that way. if anything it would finally put to rest that stupid claim fps over 24 doesn't matter to people. even in "performance" mode Horizon caps at 30. it just maintains it as the other mode drops into the 20's (a lot). even locked at 30, after playing PC games it still feels sluggish if you turn 180 or 360 quickly.

I am having issues on latest firmware (1165) with my PC (nvidia 1080gtx)

if I turn on the PC then the TV, I don't get any signal detected on the TV ever, forcing me to shutdown the PC and turn it back on.

so, I have to turn on the TV first, then the PC to get it working.

Though it could also be an Nvidia issue since the card gets 1-2 updates a month.

these are the settings i'm currently running, and i think they're final.

Game Console mode
Backlight: 10 (set to preference)
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 85
Color: 43 (important; helps tone down the over-saturation Game Console mode applies)
HDMI UHD Color: on
HDMI Black Level: normal (important in conjunction with 'output dynamic range full' in nvidia control panel. keeps blacks from crushing)
Dynamic Contrast: off
Color Tone: Standard (important on my unit to get whites to display correctly; see White Balance below in conduction with this setting)
White Balance 2 point: B-Gain -4 (my unit has a lot of blue tint. even so Standard color tone is necessary.)
Gamma: -1
Color Space: Native

nvidia control panel settings:
3840x2160 60 hz (duh)
desktop color: 32-bit
output color depth: 8 bit
output color format: RGB
output dynamic range: full

contrast and gamma were set using Lagom lcd test. everything else is based on my eyes, so take it for what it's worth. Color Tone: Standard was by far the setting that had the most impact for me. really made everything appear 'correct'. I was using Warm1 which seems to be the universal recommendation on the internet.

also i kept trying to force the Color setting up to get that 'VA vibrancy' but after some hours of use i realized i was over-saturating everything. hell i still may be.

I have the 6290.. anyone having issues when using it as a monitor where as you type black text on white background you get a ghost of a cursor a few strokes behind when you stop.. its not that bad and in gaming i'm not seeing an issue (i dont think).. but this has me considering the 43" sony x800D (has anyone had both and can comment on which is better as a "pc monitor")..

I noticed your settings above.. what made you opt for game console as the mode? ( l left mine on hdmi1/dvi, i also felt switching to "pc" didnt seem as good).. for some reason RGB looked better too:

I have an active DP to HDMI (club3d dp 1.2 to hdmi 2.0) cable going to HDMI 1 on the tv (the one that says DVI)..
I tweaked settings as best I could and at this point I have it at 4:4:4 in nvidia and 60hz.

I switched on game mode in the settings, left the input set to HDMI/DVI (switching to PC looked not so great, washed out)..

Picture Mode: Game
Backlight 20
Brightness 47
Contrast 91
Sharpness 0
Color 61 (maybe a tad high) (lowered to 54)
Tint G50
HDMI UHD Color set to On
Dynamic Contrast High
Color Tone Warm1
Gamma 0
Color space Native
All other fields are greyed out. I have the latest firmware.

I noticed your settings above.. what made you opt for game console as the mode? ( l left mine on hdmi1/dvi, i also felt switching to "pc" didnt seem as good).. for some reason RGB looked better too

based on the rtings review Game Mode reduces input lag. it seems to over saturate colors though, to my eyes anyway.

Backlight 20
Brightness 47
Contrast 91
Sharpness 0
Tint G50
HDMI UHD Color set to On
Dynamic Contrast High
Color Tone Warm1
Gamma 0
Color space Native

on my panel these settings would be eye-scorching bright and over saturated :D. to each their own though, might as well choose settings that look good to your eyes.

I am having issues on latest firmware (1165) with my PC (nvidia 1080gtx)

if I turn on the PC then the TV, I don't get any signal detected on the TV ever, forcing me to shutdown the PC and turn it back on.

so, I have to turn on the TV first, then the PC to get it working.

Though it could also be an Nvidia issue since the card gets 1-2 updates a month.

that sounds like an HDCP handshake issue and is probably due to your hdmi cable. try a different cable if you can. i've had the 6300 paired with a 980Ti (always with most recent drivers) and have never had that issue.

I have the 6290.. anyone having issues when using it as a monitor where as you type black text on white background you get a ghost of a cursor a few strokes behind when you stop.. its not that bad and in gaming i'm not seeing an issue (i dont think).. but this has me considering the 43" sony x800D (has anyone had both and can comment on which is better as a "pc monitor")..

I noticed your settings above.. what made you opt for game console as the mode? ( l left mine on hdmi1/dvi, i also felt switching to "pc" didnt seem as good).. for some reason RGB looked better too:

I have an active DP to HDMI (club3d dp 1.2 to hdmi 2.0) cable going to HDMI 1 on the tv (the one that says DVI)..
I tweaked settings as best I could and at this point I have it at 4:4:4 in nvidia and 60hz.

I switched on game mode in the settings, left the input set to HDMI/DVI (switching to PC looked not so great, washed out)..

Backlight 20
Brightness 47
Contrast 91
Sharpness 0
Tint G50
HDMI UHD Color set to On
Dynamic Contrast High
Color Tone Warm1
Gamma 0
Color space Native

make sure you have "full" color depth on in Nvidia control panel and "HDMI black level" to "normal" on the tv. and if you go back to PC mode make sure sharpness is at 50. that equals 0 in pc mode for some reason.

that sounds like an HDCP handshake issue and is probably due to your hdmi cable. try a different cable if you can. i've had the 6300 paired with a 980Ti (always with most recent drivers) and have never had that issue.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot, it had been working before that's why I wondered why this change suddenly. Do you recommend any special HDMI cable (brand?)

The way I look at it: This was an entry level TV that Samsung quickly discontinued and liquidated for 2017. Whatever profit they made from it is done (except for the ads you can't disable). There's not much incentive for them to spend additional resources on it.
Well, considering the TV is still for sale, and has not been replaced with a new model, I would like to think that they wouldn't abandon it just like that. I'd also like to think this TV is capable of 24p playback but was not enabled just to add a negative bullet point so that people will need to go up to the KS8000 to not have judder. Hopefully it will be fixed in a firmware update if its possible.

any idea what the new firmware update does? Samsung just has their generic message that they've used for every update...

any idea what the new firmware update does? Samsung just has their generic message that they've used for every update...

they're pretty good at keeping their updates shrouded in mystery... (I'm assuming you mean update 1167 which was just released from update 1165)

probably patched the backdoor the CIA was using to spy on on us.........

I'm a permanent resident but not a citizen yet. I've always assumed the government is spying on me. They must get really bored with my hobbies: food, computers, academic research and my dog...

How is the KU6300 if one were to use it in a work setting? No gaming on it. Is there motion blur when scrolling up/down in applications or mouse cursor movement ghosting? Or is it perfectly fine and no different than an everyday work monitor?

How is the KU6300 if one were to use it in a work setting? No gaming on it. Is there motion blur when scrolling up/down in applications or mouse cursor movement ghosting? Or is it perfectly fine and no different than an everyday work monitor?
No, the quality is not quite as good as a monitor. Especially in terms of the motion blur, you can see it on some websites or scrolling text documents. It's not a deal breaker for me, the TV is still alright, but I probably wouldn't use it for work.

I have seen some blur on websites like if there is red text on white background you will see slight trails.

No, the quality is not quite as good as a monitor. Especially in terms of the motion blur, you can see it on some websites or scrolling text documents. It's not a deal breaker for me, the TV is still alright, but I probably wouldn't use it for work.

Before mine broke it worked decently as a coding monitor. The biggest issue was probably that I felt kind of fatigued after several hours of use. I'm not sure if that was due to the raw size or PWM. The black smear and motion blur was definitely noticeable, but more as an annoyance than directly impacting my ability to work. Having said that I think a 32" 4k IPS screen without PWM and with a low-haze AG coating would be the ideal setup. Probably something like the upcoming LG 32UD99, but that's going to cost $900-1000.

The gamma shift on VA panels is also non-trivial. This website for example glows on both directions on the current AOC 32 VA 4K monitor I am testing, the 6290 was a tad bit better but not a whole lot.Nothing comes close to IPS for color consistency.

I use my KU6300 for mainly gaming but also for some video/movie watching and alot of reading of different sites. I find the text clear and precise enough. It's pretty close to "real" monitor precision if you will. I mean the 27" 1440p IPS screen I was using was probably a little cleaner if you will? But not a deal breaker at all. In fact I think websites like Hardocp and the forums look awesome. Albeit it would look a bit cleaner, text wise, if I didn't use 125% scaling. At 100% I can see text is a bit sharper but it's a bit of a strain at this res so I run 125 and honestly it's fine. This panel will hold me over nicely until I can get a nice 40" gaming monitor at 120hz/gync/hdr bleh bleh bleh at a decent price in the forseeable future.

I have one of these TV's waiting on me at BB. I bought it to use with my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. After reading many reviews and comments, however, I'm questioning if I should keep it. It's not a 10 bit panel and doesn't support 'true' HDR. Given that, would it still be an upgrade over my 1080p TV? My understanding is that good quality HDR makes more difference than screen resolution on these 4K sets. Thanks

I have one of these TV's waiting on me at BB. I bought it to use with my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. After reading many reviews and comments, however, I'm questioning if I should keep it. It's not a 10 bit panel and doesn't support 'true' HDR. Given that, would it still be an upgrade over my 1080p TV? My understanding is that good quality HDR makes more difference than screen resolution on these 4K sets. Thanks

Big improvement over 1080p. The next step up for "true" HDR would be a Samsung 8000 series and they run around $1000.

HDR is a mess right now honestly. Everyone and his dog wants to slap HDR on their TV and meanwhile they aren't even the true HDR standard. The only way to get true HDR right now is to spend money on the high end. At this price range if it has some form of it call it a bonus and move on. From 1080P to this screen is a huge upgrade. 4k content looks awesome on this screen.

i've had this TV (6300) since September. i have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and PC with a 980Ti. i previously had a 1440p 27" monitor. i was afraid that going from 1440p to 4k wouldn't be that "big" of a jump. i thought most of the people raving about it were very impressed as they were going from 1080p to 4k and got a much bigger upgrade. it exceeded all of my expectations. the size is perfect for 2' to 3' distance while gaming. the resolution was a significant upgrade over my 1440p IPS. HDR is very noticeable in games and movies that have it vs those that do not. while it is not "true" HDR with a 10-bit panel, the dithering used in this TV is among the best and rates higher than some actual 10-bit TV's. obviously a high end 10-bit panel with true HDR will look better. it will also cost 3 times more than this. that makes it an unfair comparison. i think you will be very impressed with the upgrade over 1080p.

spend 10 minutes playing Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 Pro and this set. you will instantly lose any buyer's remorse...

spend 10 minutes playing Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 Pro and this set. you will instantly lose any buyer's remorse...

This. After playing the game on this set, going over to my girlfriend's place and playing it on her significantly larger 1080P set (I think it's a 55") from the couch is a huge, huge step down from this from about 3 feet back with even "fake" HDR at 4K.

This. After playing the game on this set, going over to my girlfriend's place and playing it on her significantly larger 1080P set (I think it's a 55") from the couch is a huge, huge step down from this from about 3 feet back with even "fake" HDR at 4K.

i'm a PC guy first without question. that said, i'm blown away by what they were able to do with that game on limited console hardware. it looks as good as AAA PC titles cranked to the max.

I'd like to remind everybody that t he KU6300 does not have "fake HDR". That's not a thing that exists. You can a) display HDR signal, or b) display HDR signal with hardware capable to power all the brightness/color range it allows.

The K6300/6290 cannot display all the brighntess/color that HDR is capable of, but it can understand and display an HDR10 signal. There is nothing "fake" about that - it's a real HDR10 signal. HDR10 is way better a signal than the regular SDR you're used to, and it immediately looks better than SDR. Sure, the KU6300 cannot give you all the amazingness that full HDR capabilities at 1000nits and %90 DCI-P3 bring you, but there is a pronounced improvement in shadow/highlight quality when you display an HDR10 signal on this - quite bright for it's category - model.

I think the latest 1167 firmware update actually added HLG support. I have this video sample coded in HLG which I wasn't able to play via USB drive a few weeks ago, and today I tried just to see if it failed again, but it played perfectly.

Does anyone know how to see any release notes on Samsung firmware updates? UPDATE: going to the KU6 series support page gives some detail, though not all firmware editions have shown up there. Also, there's a new HDR sample in the website linked above, both in HDR10 and HLG formats. Downloading now to test them later...

Last edited:
How am I not subbed to this thread? I recently picked up the 40" KU6290 and (accidentally) the KU6300 as well.

Need to go back and read most of this thread. As I said in the Hot Deals thread for the 6290, I'm not sure that a better value in the 40" 4K segment exists right now.

the 6290, I'm not sure that a better value in the 40" 4K segment exists right now.

Agreed, exact reason why I got it. It should last for 2 years until HDR becomes more common, hopefully by 2019 HDR with 1000 nits and %90 DCI-P3 will be common in $500 TVs.

Here's my 40 inch ku6300 as pc monitor playing 47 ronin.
20170318_222427[1].jpg

Back