Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

Man, I was super excited I ordered one of these today but the ghosting posts have me a little worried. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have a LG 29UM58-P (LG 29in ultrawide) for comparison? I feel like my LG is at the upper limits of acceptable motion blur.
My wife has that monitor and you will be fine.

Damn this thing is amazing. I can see the yellow trails slightly on that test video, but they aren't even half as bad (Gaming mode). I do have a 4:4:4 issue with my 390x :( looks like 1080ti will be my next graphics card.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just a heads up to people experiencing bad ghosting

I went through three KU6270 40" tv's, the first two were from costco and they were both good for ghosting, not much to be seen so I didn't know why people even complained about ghosting because from what I could see it was a barley an issue, I still returned it because I was not happy with the viewing angles which is by far the worst part about this tv

So anyways just yesterday I broke down and purchased the tv again from bestbuy since it was still on sale and im not happy that I did, this one has a disgusting amount of ghosting, so it looks like these panels have quality control issues, if you have one with bad ghosting I would say take the chance and exchange it for a new one if you still got the chance because it is a night and day difference between a good panel and a bad panel for ghosting

Just a heads up to people experiencing bad ghosting

I went through three KU6270 40" tv's, the first two were from costco and they were both good for ghosting, not much to be seen so I didn't know why people even complained about ghosting because from what I could see it was a barley an issue, I still returned it because I was not happy with the viewing angles which is by far the worst part about this tv

So anyways just yesterday I broke down and purchased the tv again from bestbuy since it was still on sale and im not happy that I did, this one has a disgusting amount of ghosting, so it looks like these panels have quality control issues, if you have one with bad ghosting I would say take the chance and exchange it for a new one if you still got the chance because it is a night and day difference between a good panel and a bad panel for ghosting
Be our guinea pig and exchange it again. What panel version is it and what firmware are you on?

So you are saying you had versions that didn't have that yellow ghosting?

I gave up on the idea of having CS change my panel since the only persons who posted the video,all had the same issue so not worth the hassle.

Be our guinea pig and exchange it again. What panel version is it and what firmware are you on?

So you are saying you had versions that didn't have that yellow ghosting?

I gave up on the idea of having CS change my panel since the only persons who posted the video,all had the same issue so not worth the hassle.
I have some yellow ghosting its just not as bad as the video. But this TV has a billion settings so it could just be a setting difference. I keep mine in Game console > Gaming mode > UHD Color Off.

P.S. I have a 6290. Not a 6300

Last edited:
I think people's eyes are made differently. I can't see the yellow ghosting on my TV *OR* even in the videos you all have posted supposedly proving the issue.

Maybe consider an RMA for your eye-balls, LOL...

I think people's eyes are made differently. I can't see the yellow ghosting on my TV *OR* even in the videos you all have posted supposedly proving the issue.

Maybe consider an RMA for your eye-balls, LOL...

I can see it very well in the original video especially on the doors . But you're probably right. Like when I use my projector and I move my eyes I see a RGB rainbow, but everyone I try to point it out to thinks I'm crazy lol

You can see it in this screen shot

Screenshot_2017_01_07_15_53_45.png

Anyways for anyone interested,there's a setting you can change to alleviate the yellow ghosting. You will "trade off" some color accuracy though. Setting the color temperatureto Cool,makes a lot of difference in the unfinished swan video. Unfortunately it's something you will really have to think about,i've been hammering the TV more than the usual thanks to Netflix,and i really can notice the yellow ghosting even on normal TV watch.

By the way,it's not like you lose a lot of accuracy. By eyeballing it,Cool color temperature in my TV is 7500K tops i'd say. Nothing like my Dell monitor on "cool",now that would be bad,makes whites blue.

MDalton Wait, I may have spoken too fast. In your recorded video, I can see the yellow trails when looking closely. However, playing the original video on my TV looks mostly fine.

I mean if I squint and look really close, I can kind of see some trails but it's nothing that would be noticeable without careful examination.

And I have played like a dozen games on this TV, watched movies, etc. and not had a problem. I know the ghosting is there, especially on black and white webpages it is bad. But I never notice in games/movies.

I color calibrated the TV for perfectly accurate colors, and I left the ICC profile available in this thread a few pages ago. Personally I'd rather have correct colors and some trailing on the worst possible case scenario. I will remind you that yes: black to white and vice versa on a 5000:1 contrast ration LCD is the absolute worst case scenario. Regular use of this TV when it doesn't involve these huge contrast changes is fine. I can see how this would be a problem for you if you play a lot of Unfinished Swan, but if you play regular games that don't rely on black/white... well the trailing isn't a problem. I was just playing Hue this past weekend, a game that renders basically pure black with strong yellow/green/purple/pink/red/light blue/dark blue/orange and the trails have never been a problem. Why, because it's not a worst case scenario, it's only black to another color, not pure white.

I can re-download the game and record a video of it if you want it for reference.

Anyways for anyone interested,there's a setting you can change to alleviate the yellow ghosting. You will "trade off" some color accuracy though. Setting the color temperatureto Cool,makes a lot of difference in the unfinished swan video. Unfortunately it's something you will really have to think about,i've been hammering the TV more than the usual thanks to Netflix,and i really can notice the yellow ghosting even on normal TV watch.

By the way,it's not like you lose a lot of accuracy. By eyeballing it,Cool color temperature in my TV is 7500K tops i'd say. Nothing like my Dell monitor on "cool",now that would be bad,makes whites blue.

Interesting, I use cool default on all my monitors. I know it's not color accurate but I feel like cool settings pop more allowing me to notice that 5 pixel high camper (I'm a gamer). I'll have to try warm tomorrow and see if I get the yellow trails as bad as your first video

I color calibrated the TV for perfectly accurate colors, and I left the ICC profile available in this thread a few pages ago.
We have got little data about this TV besides rtings,would you mind getting some with your display calibrator? Stuff like:

Max brightness in SDR and HDR mode
Color gamut coverage
Calibration for HDR mode if possible
Max brightness in PC mode vs others (EG CE dimming off vs on)
Contrast ratio in PC mode vs others
Color bit depth

It would be nice to have additional data.

Unfortunately I can't, sorry. I use a Spyder5Express, which only allows you to calibrate displays but gives you no analytical information on the ICC profile or how the screen behaves. The Express was already $130 and I didn't want to spend another $60 extra in the Pro version, since all I want is to calibrate displays, no need to get more details.

So why exactly do I need 4:4:4 Chroma mode? I set it up in PC mode first, then edited the name to Game Console so I could switch settings. I then put it on Gaming Mode and FPS feel so much better with the lower lag. Also, the text in the desktop looks fine to me after dropping to 0 sharpness (needs to be 50 in PC mode) and the colors look fine after adjusting the brightness. Not sure what color tone to use, might use Warm 1. In any case, if the text looks fine at 4:2:2 to me, is there any real benefit to 4:4:4 Chroma? I really enjoy the lower input lag with gaming mode.

So why exactly do I need 4:4:4 Chroma mode? I set it up in PC mode first, then edited the name to Game Console so I could switch settings. I then put it on Gaming Mode and FPS feel so much better with the lower lag. Also, the text in the desktop looks fine to me after dropping to 0 sharpness (needs to be 50 in PC mode) and the colors look fine after adjusting the brightness. Not sure what color tone to use, might use Warm 1. In any case, if the text looks fine at 4:2:2 to me, is there any real benefit to 4:4:4 Chroma? I really enjoy the lower input lag with gaming mode.

You will have benefits on certain text colors on different background colors. TBH I leave mine in Game Mode most of the time and it really doesn't bother me that much. If I am reading something where it does and I may be there a few minutes it is only a few button presses to get into 4:4:4 anyway.

Reactions: Savoy
like this

personal preference. lots of people (some in this thread) prefer game mode at all times. if you have no problem reading text or issue with colors in one mode vs the other, stay in game mode.

So why exactly do I need 4:4:4 Chroma mode?
Honestly, you don't (unless maybe you are a writer or someone staring at text all day). I use the TV for entertainment and 4:2:0 color with Game Mode looks better to me.

In any case, if you set Windows scaling to 150% it mostly mitigates the text issue (since it resamples at the higher resolution). The problem is mostly seen on thin pixel fonts, and even then only on certain color backgrounds.

It's nice to know the TV supports it, and it was a big feature for me when I was shopping around, but after trying both ways I think Game Mode is better (again, for me as I bought the TV for gaming).

Anyone else have an issue where if you turn off UMD HDMI Color eventually the video card will revert to 30hz? Its killing me UMD HDMI color has too much input lag for me, if I turn it off I can get a few games before the videocard bumps be down to 30hz and doesn't give me the option to go back to 60. If I turn UMD color back on and unplug then plug back in the display I can select 60hz again. This happens in all the modes, Gaming, PC ect

Anyone else have an issue where if you turn off UMD HDMI Color eventually the video card will revert to 30hz? Its killing me UMD HDMI color has too much input lag for me, if I turn it off I can get a few games before the videocard bumps be down to 30hz and doesn't give me the option to go back to 60. If I turn UMD color back on and unplug then plug back in the display I can select 60hz again. This happens in all the modes, Gaming, PC ect

this setting basically allows high speed bandwidth on the HDMI port (60hz). that is why you are throttling down when disabling it. the color settings should have nothing to do with turning this on or off. it is just a matter of what settings inside your GPU control panel and in the TV's menu are being used.

edit: sorry, misread input lag vs color accuracy for some reason. turn on UMD color and then edit the input from "PC" to "Game Console". this will put the TV in "game" mode and lower the input lag to ~20ms.

Are you sure you have a high bandwidth HDMI cable? You should buy one that mentions 4K60 or HDMI 2.0 compatible, and even then I'd recommend not going longer than 10 feet (3m).

This is the cable I am using, and has been working well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CRA11IU/

You can use a cable as long as 15 feet for 60 hz 4k if it is a true high speed HDMI 2.0a 18 Gbps cable, I think the max limit is ~16 ft. Anything longer than that could still possibly work but it would be very hit and miss, they make "active" cables for longer runs but even those can be problematic since there doesn't seem to be any real quality control when it comes to rating the reliability/speed of cables.

And as been stated, leave UMD HDMI color on and edit the PC input by going to the PC input and pressing up on the remote. Select some other name. You will need to adjust the settings again since it will be separate from "PC" - if you ever want to go back to PC and 4:4:4 chroma, you can do a quick switch by selecting PC again and it will remember the old settings you had for PC. Under the new settings, you can now turn on Game mode but the default is too gray so I adjusted the brightness down, made sure HDMI black level was low/auto, turned off Dynamic contrast, lowered Sharpness to 0 (on true PC mode you want 50 sharpness, while Gaming mode you want 0 sharpness), etc.

I've been happy with gaming mode, if I need to do more than just web browsing such as working on publishing a paper, I'll likely put it back to PC mode.

Last edited:
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 15 Feet (Latest Standard) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8T8FC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_lUIEybQZWBQJK

This is the one I ordered and have been using since I got this screen in November. Been working great no issues.

I typically run in game mode with sharpness set to 0 and the text looks great. I only keep out in PC mode 4.4.4 when I know I will be reading alot of sites in chrome and things like that. I typically keep it in game mode because I tend to jump in and out of games all the time. I may play a game then jump out and read some pages for a while then jump into another game etc.

All in all this TV has been great I've been very happy with it. The only issue I have is the VRAM on my 980's. As soon as Nvidia drops the 180ti's I'm in for 2 as long as they aren't totally obscene at 900 a card or some such retarded price.

I just got a UN40KU6290 (essentially the same as the UN40KU6300) at Costco and am using HDMI from my laptop with HD4000 integrated graphics. I made a custom resolution to get 4k at 24hz but I'm getting a ton of flickering on windows when moving things around. I tried a second laptop with HD4400 graphics and that one works fine at 4k @ 30hz. Any ideas?

I've been using the 40" for a while with my MacBook and love it, but occasionally the screen goes black for about one second, then comes back on. This will usually happen a few times in a minute or two interval, then it won't happen for 15-20 minutes. I'm using a pluggable mini DP to hdmi adaptor and a custom switchResX resolution. Anyone have any experience with this? I've already had pluggable send me a new adapter, so if it's the adapter, it's something wrong with the Pluggable brand in general for my setup.

I wasn't aware of a mini DP - HDMI dongle that will do 60hz at 4k. You might be pushing the bandwidth past it's comfortable spot. Do you get the black screens at 30hz?

And here it is: http://plugable.com/products/mdp-hdmi/

I'd still try a slower refresh rate, maybe 50hz and see if you still get the black outs. Is your HDMI cable rated for 18gbps?

I wasn't aware of a mini DP - HDMI dongle that will do 60hz at 4k. You might be pushing the bandwidth past it's comfortable spot. Do you get the black screens at 30hz?

And here it is: http://plugable.com/products/mdp-hdmi/

I'd still try a slower refresh rate, maybe 50hz and see if you still get the black outs. Is your HDMI cable rated for 18gbps?

I'll try lowering the refresh rate, thanks. I've tried several cables I had lying around so I'm going to buy a new cable too because the ones I had aren't labeled in any way.

I don't think that my cables are really labeled either. I have one that does 18gbps, and a bunch that don't.

I've been using the 40" for a while with my MacBook and love it, but occasionally the screen goes black for about one second, then comes back on. This will usually happen a few times in a minute or two interval, then it won't happen for 15-20 minutes. I'm using a pluggable mini DP to hdmi adaptor and a custom switchResX resolution. Anyone have any experience with this? I've already had pluggable send me a new adapter, so if it's the adapter, it's something wrong with the Pluggable brand in general for my setup.

This happens to me as well sometimes. It's dam annoying to be honest. It will happen out of the blue and then not happen at all for days. I thought it had to do with a firmware update but probably not.

the DP to HDMI "active" adapters are not all created the same. this is made obvious by their price range from $10 to $100+ USD. many people have had issues with various adapters in this thread. i think most people were having the best luck with the Club 3D version on Amazon ($30 USD). i can not confirm as i do not use an adapter.

The only time I had black out was with my BD-Player and I had the res/color settings too high (4K60 4:4:4) which was too much for my switch. Once I changed it to 4:2:2 color it was fine.

Thought y'all would like to know that firmware 1162 was just released. HDR seems to gaining more support: The Amazon app is updated and now correctly displays HDR video:

Menu - link
Notification - link
Play controls - link

I haven't seen much quality improvement, although color/light does seem more natural. I'll have to check more videos later.

The youtube app is the same from April, no update yet. Playing local files from USB also doesn't give the HDR notification.

just to confirm our previous speculation, i got the screen corruption while updating again. as previously stated, this only seems to happen when there is an update available and during the update process.

just to confirm our previous speculation, i got the screen corruption while updating again. as previously stated, this only seems to happen when there is an update available and during the update process.

Ya that's the only time it happens to me as well.

Yup, me too. In fact that's the ONLY reason why I knew it was updating.

Maybe instead of corruption it's a "background notification" :D

I haven't seen much quality improvement, although color/light does seem more natural. I'll have to check more videos later.

The youtube app is the same from April, no update yet. Playing local files from USB also doesn't give the HDR notification.

if you have Amazon Prime, checkout "GT". it looks fantastic! i went backed and watched ~15 minutes of an episode i watched last night and it looked noticeably better to me. could be placebo/expectation, but i thought it looked really good.

I have the 6290 verision, I will get the corruption on other screens as well but its very very very rare compared to the update screen, and it seems to be only with in the first couple min starting up.

So I've had this TV for my Gaming PC Monitor and so far it's been running flawlessly. I am on latest firmware as well.

Are there any tutorials to test HDR going (either via the built-in streaming apps) or running my games in HDR mode ?

Thanks.

p.s the corruption (blue patches on screen) only happen when the TV is doing updating it seems but goes away...

Hey guys, where can I get one of these for a low-ish price? I've seen people mention prices in the 300's several times throughout the thread, but they seem to be several hundred more pretty much everywhere at the moment.

I'd like to get my hand on a 40" KU6300 or KU6290 for under $399 max, or under $350 preferred. Is this possible anywhere?

Now is not a good time to buy a TV. Until march/april, prices will remain up. It's the same every year. There is a sales peak early in the year and another one around black friday, the rest of the year unless you find a good occasional sale, prices are inflated.

Last edited:
Back