Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

Not sure what you mean by ISF. If you just want a color profile, I posted one for my KU6290 a few pages back (should also work for the KU6300 as they're essentially the same panel). Keep in mind, no TV panel is exactly the same so using the same ICC profile doesn't give exact results between TVs, but they should be pretty close (and certainly miles better than what comes out of the factory).
What are the TV settings with your custom profile?

My KU6290 just got updated to firmware 1155.0, after a bunch more artifacting on my screen while it was probably updating in the background. I haven't seen anything posted about this update yet, has anyone noticed changes?

Anyone that has the 6300 or 6290 have used a 4k monitor other than that ?

My situation is this , I've got two BenQ3201's and have been happy with them over a year now , (each hooked to separate computers). Build quality great , no dead pixels at all etc. One's purely for PC gaming , other I use for work (multiple open RDP sessions etc).

I originally wanted one of the the early 40" 4k models at the time in early 2015 but saw very mixed results when people did get the Phillips one etc.

Anyway considering trying this model out , as 40" is as big as I want to go. I'm not a professional FPS player or anything , but wondered if the latency difference at 4:4:4 seems noticeable to any of you ? Especially if you've gone from an actual 4k PC monitor to this instead.

Lastly is the coating more gloss/semi gloss ? I actually prefer glossy for the better looking colors and that would be a selling point for me.

My KU6290 just got updated to firmware 1155.0, after a bunch more artifacting on my screen while it was probably updating in the background. I haven't seen anything posted about this update yet, has anyone noticed changes?

My TV is updating now, artifacts info like crazy while it does it :p

Last edited:
I'm not a professional FPS player or anything , but wondered if the latency difference at 4:4:4 seems noticeable to any of you ? Especially if you've gone from an actual 4k PC monitor to this instead.

I haven't got 4:4:4 working with my PC, but the colors and latency are perfectly acceptable at 4:2:2 for me with game mode turned on. The pixel response time on this is a bit slow, which makes trailing especially noticeable when smooth scrolling is enabled on browsers/apps, but that's probably to be expected with most low to mid-end TVs like this one. If you want guaranteed low latency and faster pixel response time, I'd stick with an actual monitor.

Lastly is the coating more gloss/semi gloss ? I actually prefer glossy for the better looking colors and that would be a selling point for me.

I would say the coating on this display is more semi-glossy than it is matte, but the matte coating is definitely noticeable when looking at bright colors on the screen from off angles.

I haven't got 4:4:4 working with my PC, but the colors and latency are perfectly acceptable at 4:2:2 for me with game mode turned on. The pixel response time on this is a bit slow, which makes trailing especially noticeable when smooth scrolling is enabled on browsers/apps, but that's probably to be expected with most low to mid-end TVs like this one. If you want guaranteed low latency and faster pixel response time, I'd stick with an actual monitor.

I would say the coating on this display is more semi-glossy than it is matte, but the matte coating is definitely noticeable when looking at bright colors on the screen from off angles.

Thanks , I worded that wrong as even semi-gloss would be more "glossy" to me than my current , as it's 100% matte. Trade-offs all around it seems between both.

You say you haven't gotten 4:4:4 with yours ? So it's not 100% on these models ?

The blue matrix lines have returned. Still on 1150 firmware, will see if an update helps.

Yup, me too. Blue explosion for a few minutes, went out for a beer, came back and TV told me it was on 1155. Tried YouTube/Amazon and there's still no popup of HDR video playing. No idea what this fixed.

I would recommend going into a store like Best Buy and checking out the AR coating especially on mostly white screens to see if you're not bothered by it. It's a lot more aggressive than I thought and leaves a kind of dirty screen effect at certain angles. I'm still kinda getting used to it. It's certainly got a nice glossy look to it, but if you look closely, you will see the coating.

Yup, me too. Blue explosion for a few minutes, went out for a beer, came back and TV told me it was on 1155. Tried YouTube/Amazon and there's still no popup of HDR video playing. No idea what this fixed.

Maybe it fixed the blue and red artifacts! At least now I am not worried about the artifacts coming from the HDMI cable, the TV is definitely getting those on its own :eek:

the semi gloss coat as others have noted is very noticeable on a solid white image at an off angle. once you get your chair fixed so that you are looking center screen it is not an issue.

the "matrix" blue lines only seem to appear when the TV is downloading update data. i have now noticed them each time the firmware has been updating or had an update available (4 times since i've owned). the lines appear when powering on the TV if an update is available even before running the update. they go away as soon as it is done.

Thanks , I worded that wrong as even semi-gloss would be more "glossy" to me than my current , as it's 100% matte. Trade-offs all around it seems between both.

You say you haven't gotten 4:4:4 with yours ? So it's not 100% on these models ?

yes, they are 100% 4:4:4 in PC mode only. some people have issues with their video cards compatibility and with bad or not 2.0 compliant HDMI cables.

the semi gloss coat as others have noted is very noticeable on a solid white image at an off angle. once you get your chair fixed so that you are looking center screen it is not an issue.

the "matrix" blue lines only seem to appear when the TV is downloading update data. i have now noticed them each time the firmware has been updating or had an update available (4 times since i've owned). the lines appear when powering on the TV if an update is available even before running the update. they go away as soon as it is done.

This makes sense. The last time I got the blue lines a firmware update was available and I was trying to play Doom. The screen was tossing blue lines everywhere then I turned it off and back on and it was fine. TV may have been doing a background download. However after power cycling I couldn't download the update so maybe it screwed up when I turned it off.

Been fine again since this new 1155 update is installed. I might just turn off WiFi if the lines come back, then it won't be trying to do background downloads.

andy4theherd I think you are on to something. The last 2 times I saw the blue lines were shortly prior to a firmware update. What a strange bug, but if that is the case, it's not too bad.

Anyone have an issue with pop up windows or right clicking in chrome, or the task icon bar in the task bar just shows up blank? As in a white box or just transparent box with an outline. I have some pop up windows that just show as a transparent box. I used diff 2.0 cables etc and I have 2 of these. Same issue on both.

Seems windows boxes give me this too. Or take awhile to load before stop being transparent.

I dont have this issue when I hook up my monitors though. Very strange

If i hook up an extended monitor display, all the problems go away. Wtf?!!

Last edited:
any one know how to turn off the dimming off the screen on the menu, it gets so dark i cant see anything, i have the ECO stuff turned off by the way.

any one know how to turn off the dimming off the screen on the menu, it gets so dark i cant see anything, i have the ECO stuff turned off by the way.

Try raising the brightness by 5. There is a certain point where it stops the built in dimming.

Reimaged same issue on a fresh image. Tried my second PC no probs. GOod luck 980ti users.

Seems to go away if I reconnect the tv but comes back eventually. Tried another port on the other 980ti same issue.

Last edited:
Reimaged same issue on a fresh image. Tried my second PC no probs. GOod luck 980ti users.

Seems to go away if I reconnect the tv but comes back eventually. Tried another port on the other 980ti same issue.

i have a 980Ti and haven't had any issues.

not sure if this is the same thing you are talking about, but if you have HDMI Black Level set to Low or Auto you lose some colors in Chrome. for example, in a Chrome spreadsheet when i drag downwards to select data in column the highlighted selection is a very light blue. if i turn HDMI Black Level to Low or Auto the blue highlight does not show up.

980Ti here as well and I have no issues like you describe. Weird.

I noticed it goes away and if I reconnect the tv. Weird thing is I have two of these. My other pc has a tx-p and I got 0 issues.

Still struggling to get this thing to run 4k at 60 Hz on my GTX 960M because I don't have a dedicated picture setting in my NVIDIA control panel
OadyV

Anyone have a work around to make this work?

Still struggling to get this thing to run 4k at 60 Hz on my GTX 960M because I don't have a dedicated picture setting in my NVIDIA control panel
OadyV

Anyone have a work around to make this work?

the 960M is not an HDMI 2.0 card. to get 4k@60hz you need HDMI 2.0 because of the high bandwidth.

edit:

it is possible to get 4k/60hz from Display port 1.2 (which the 960m has). you need an active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter. like this one https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displ...ie=UTF8&qid=1482072782&sr=8-2&keywords=club3d

these adapters are hit or miss for some people

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been fiddling with it some more and this is just beyond weird. When I first boot up I have no issues but it comes shortly after with the disappearing boxes but if I unplug and replug it everything is okay. Maybe it's the set. I will try to replicate it with the other screen today.

Was able to replicate it with the other one I have. Issue isn't present at boot but comes shortly after. Re seating the connection fixes the transparent boxes. However, I only have this issue with the 980ti out of the 4 different gpus I have on hand atm. Both of the 980tis are reference design.

Last edited:
Been fiddling with it some more and this is just beyond weird. When I first boot up I have no issues but it comes shortly after with the disappearing boxes but if I unplug and replug it everything is okay. Maybe it's the set. I will try to replicate it with the other screen today.

Take a screenshot when the issue occurs. If the issue is in the screenshot, it's the GPU or software causing the issue. If the screenshot looks fine while the TV looks bad, it could be the TV.

Take a screenshot when the issue occurs. If the issue is in the screenshot, it's the GPU or software causing the issue. If the screenshot looks fine while the TV looks bad, it could be the TV.
Thats a good point. The fact I have it on both tvs makes me feel its not the TV.

I can't believe it lol. You guys are gonna think I am crazy. When I hit print screen, the issue goes away temporarily then comes back right after. All the screen shots look fine.

the 960M is not an HDMI 2.0 card. to get 4k@60hz you need HDMI 2.0 because of the high bandwidth.

edit:

it is possible to get 4k/60hz from Display port 1.2 (which the 960m has). you need an active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter. like this one https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displ...ie=UTF8&qid=1482072782&sr=8-2&keywords=club3d

This one : https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-...qid=1482095199&sr=8-2&keywords=DP+to+HDMI+2.0

I just got it and it works 100 percent with my KS8000. I've got it running at 4096x2160 60p with 4:4:4 Chroma no issues to speak of. I'm sure if it works with the KS8000 it'll work fine with the KS6300. I bought a regular Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0a cable as well fyi.

I'm running it through a 390x as well. Seriously the most beautiful PC monitor setup I've ever had.

edit:

This one : https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-...qid=1482095199&sr=8-2&keywords=DP+to+HDMI+2.0

I just got it and it works 100 percent with my KS8000. I've got it running at 4096x2160 60p with 4:4:4 Chroma no issues to speak of. I'm sure if it works with the KS8000 it'll work fine with the KS6300. I bought a regular Amazon Basics HDMI 2.0a cable as well fyi.

I'm running it through a 390x as well. Seriously the most beautiful PC monitor setup I've ever had.
Thank you guys! Will try and post an update.

So, I picked up this TV last week, and all-in-all I really like it. The black levels are great and the input lag isn't bad at all. I do see some ghosting, especially with dark images on a light background but I usually have to be actively looking for that.

I do have one issue though, in PC 4:4:4 mode, I can change my resolution to 2560x1440 in games and still run at 60Hz. However, if I want to run in Game Mode and change the input to Game Console input, it will only give me the option to run 2560x1440 at 30Hz.

I am only running on GTX1080 at the moment, so full 4K gaming is still a bit out of my reach for newer games so I choose to run them at 2560x1440 instead, which still looks good on the TV. Not being able to run that resolution at 60Hz in Game Mode is a disappointment though.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else tried this?

So, I picked up this TV last week, and all-in-all I really like it. The black levels are great and the input lag isn't bad at all. I do see some ghosting, especially with dark images on a light background but I usually have to be actively looking for that.

I do have one issue though, in PC 4:4:4 mode, I can change my resolution to 2560x1440 in games and still run at 60Hz. However, if I want to run in Game Mode and change the input to Game Console input, it will only give me the option to run 2560x1440 at 30Hz.

I am only running on GTX1080 at the moment, so full 4K gaming is still a bit out of my reach for newer games so I choose to run them at 2560x1440 instead, which still looks good on the TV. Not being able to run that resolution at 60Hz in Game Mode is a disappointment though.

I would try running at 1080P. When I tried 2560x1440 for games the screen does not look good at all.

I would try running at 1080P. When I tried 2560x1440 for games the screen does not look good at all.

I think 2560x1440 looks fine and like I said, it works at 60Hz while in PC or HDMI1 mode in Input 1. However, as soon as I change the Input to Game Console it reduces the refresh to 30Hz in that resolution. Is that a limitation of the input or am I missing something?

first, what in the heck are you playing that you can't get acceptable fps from a 1080?

from someone that has been gaming non-stop on this screen and a single OC'd 980Ti... turn AA off...... that will give you 10-15 fps in just about every game. the pixel density on a 4k 40" screen is so much that AA isn't even needed in most games. next step if that doesn't net you the avg fps you want, turn shadows down a notch. that is the next big fps killer in most modern games.

turning a couple settings down and maintaining 4k resolution will still look 100x better than keeping those settings maxed and playing at 1080p...

Back