Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

anyone have a suggestion for a stand replacement? Something like a swivel arm? Amazon Basics has one that supports up to 25lbs...

I use 3 of these... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HE1IVNA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're cheap, sturdy, and allow for portrait orientation as well. The downside is no tilt, and the feet stick out a bit.

Don't know that I would trust an arm to support one of these. It's not just about weight, it's also about weight distribution. That's why there's usually a screen size rating along with the weight. Unless someone knows of an arm rated for a 40" monitor...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
are you sure your MacBook supports 4k@60? there was at least one other guy earlier in this thread that spent some time (and several adapters) trying to get 60hz before realizing it was not supported at all by his MacBook.

Well many people on here are much more technical than I am, but I've had two other computer monitors run 4K at 60 Hz out my displayport, so I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I got the Plugable brand active adapter and they're going to send me a new one, I saw another brand on Amazon where the guy has my exact laptop and got it working... he actually posted his settings using SwitchResX (took him 3 hrs of messing with custom resolutions), so I'm going to try that tonight. What I don't understand is why it takes futzing around with SwitchResX when other 4K computer monitors are working fine with my display port? Is there something different about using this Samsung TV from my DisplayPort's perspective?

That is not the one that I had found and it is much better. I may end op giving that a shot if it will clear the height needed. I need something since the factory stand has such a large footprint.

You'll need a large plate adapter. That arm is rated for 100x100. This tv is 400x400.

And the arm isn't rated above 33". I think you'll find it very wobbly and unsteady with a 40" panel on it.

You'll need a large plate adapter. That arm is rated for 100x100. This tv is 400x400.

And the arm isn't rated above 33". I think you'll find it very wobbly and unsteady with a 40" panel on it.

do you know of anything similar out there? my amazon searches arent coming up with anything

do you know of anything similar out there? my amazon searches arent coming up with anything

With a 40" panel you're moving into the industrial realm of products, where pricing is higher because of the specialization and engineering requirements. Don't be surprised if the arm costs as much as the TV...

Here's an example: http://www.ergodirect.com/17796-ergotron-45-360-026-lx-sit-stand-desk-mount-monitor-arm.html

You would need to add a plate adapter to go to 400x400, part 97-759 for $40.

This is just an example. You surely will be able to find something cheaper, but to a point you will get what you pay for.

That's why I just decided I could deal with feet and bought those $25 legs instead. :p

Last edited:
are you sure your MacBook supports 4k@60? there was at least one other guy earlier in this thread that spent some time (and several adapters) trying to get 60hz before realizing it was not supported at all by his MacBook.
I have an update on my situation - using the settings someone else posted on the Club3d DP->HDMI2 adapter reviews on Amazon, I was able to get my late 2013 Macbook pro to run 3840x2160 at 60Hz! I can't believe how difficult it was to achieve, but thank god someone else posted their settings using SwitchResX or I would have been taking this bad boy back. So I can confirm this TV works for those with my setup, and probably anyone with a GeForce 750 series card.

The VESA pattern on the back of my UN40KU6300 is 200x200, not 400x400. I've seen it listed incorrectly so I thought I'd chime in.

I'm using an old Monoprice desk mount that I was using before with my Dell 3008WFP. It's good for up to 30 lbs so it's plenty for this panel. Had to buy some cheap VESA adapters since my mount is 100x100 but it works just fine with adapters.

Also note - apparently the VESA standard only covers the distances between mounting holes. There doesn't appear to be a standard for the fastener thread size...I think the panel takes M8 size. I had some extra bolts lying around...they were too long so I 3D printed some knobs to act as spacers. All in the name of saving a few bucks and not having to buy a new mount.

The VESA pattern on the back of my UN40KU6300 is 200x200, not 400x400. I've seen it listed incorrectly so I thought I'd chime in.

I took the time to measure my UN40KU6290, and it is indeed 200x200. Thanks for bringing this up.

When watching UHD or 1080P blu rays, does this TV have an issue with judder for 24p playback?

The rtings review I linked above has all this info. Looks like there is some judder on 24p content.

ok thanks. I am deciding is it worth swapping this monitor with my current Philips BDM4065UC 40"? I want to use it for PC, PC gaming, movies, console gaming. I normally play CS:GO on the PC and LoL

ok thanks. I am deciding is it worth swapping this monitor with my current Philips BDM4065UC 40"? I want to use it for PC, PC gaming, movies, console gaming. I normally play CS:GO on the PC and LoL

Pretty sure you'll be trading better panel quality (color, uniformity, contrast, etc) for higher latency.

You mean the Samsung will have more input lag than the Philips?

How is the samsung for PC use?

ok will do. I'm thinking to getting it due to HDR gaming and netflix 4k HDR which I can't with the Philips due to HDMI1.4 limitation

The HDR on this TV isn't amazing. It does support it, and does look a little better but I wouldn't buy the TV just for that (especially if you already have a 40" 4K TV).

When watching UHD or 1080P blu rays, does this TV have an issue with judder for 24p playback?

under expert settings go to auto motion plus. set it to a custom value. the default auto value gives a soap opera effect. rtings recommends 3 or 4 to smooth out
Yeah, there is some judder for 24p but you can enable smooth motion and it will get rid of the judder (but add the soap opera effect, which I like but I know some people don't).

Also, the 6290 is $299 at Best Buy.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...ltra-hd-tv-dark-titan/5622308.p?skuId=5622308

if you turn Auto Motion Plus "on" it defaults to auto and has an obvious Soap Opera effect. if you select "custom" you can manually enter a number from 1 to 10. the Rtings review recommends 3 or 4. i have mine set to 3 and it works great. no Soap effect and no noticeable judder.

Ah, I see. I had motion plus on Auto and that gave me the look I wanted so I didn't tweak it further. Good to know there are options.

Thanks guys. I don't have a 4K HDR TV. Only a 4k Philips monitor. Want to play xbox one S and ps4 pro, my philips only has HDMI 1.4a so not 4k@60Hz. Unless the philips does a great job with 1080P ?

Some quick takes on a few posts I've seen (was at work all day, just came back online):

Also, the 6290 is $299 at Best Buy.

Careful. BB Has it for $299 but will charge a bunch on tax. They would have charged me $25 to ship to Alabama. At that point you pay $325, may as well buy the 6300 from Amazon for the tiny difference.
Samsung charged me 299 from their website, and only $12 on tax. Ended up paying a grand total of $311.99, it's already shipped and on its way to me.
Amazon still doesn't have stock on the 40KU6290. Clearly they're trying to push the 6300.

Bottom line - if you want the 6290, buy directly from Samsung. They shipped within 1 business day as promised, it's already on its way. I'm happy with how they've handled it so far and it's been the cheapest price of all the available options.

ok will do. I'm thinking to getting it due to HDR gaming and netflix 4k HDR which I can't with the Philips due to HDMI1.4 limitation

DON'T. The 6290, 6300, or 7500, none of them are HDR TVs. They understand HDR signal, they can't display it. If your real interest is HDR, all these TVs are a waste of money. You need KS8000 or higher, in any OEM, you need a $1K equivalent. Nothing else cheaper will give you HDR. Specifically, if you're considering an HDR TV for gaming, there are other problems involved, such as insane input lag in ALL the HDR TVs right now. Polygon just came out with an excellent post today about How not to get screwed by Black Friday 4K TV deals. %100 worth your time.

If HDR is your main goal, wait until 2017, at least.

Last edited:
ok thanks. Is the KS8000 anygood in terms of input lag with HDR?

Buddy, I linked the article for a reason. I can't do your reading for ya :)

The article states, literally, "KS8000 supports 4K and HDR with game mode enabled, with a display latency of 21.1 ms". There's your answer.

lol thanks :) Isn't 55" too big as a PC display haha
I have a 40" now and think its massive.

Well you only asked about HDR displays, you didn't mention a limit on size, so my response was limited to technology/capabilities.

I would say 55 is too big, yes. That's why I just got the 40" 6290. I'm on a 1080p 40" and it works well, but I want more desktop space/definition. So, 4K at 40" is a perfect balance at about 100dpi(+).

I also wanted a good HDR display at 40", but the market is simply not there. Good HDR/4K combos are reserved to 49" minimum. Even then, they have too much lag or HDR isn't available in all modes. If what you want is good HDR always, wait at least until 2017 TVs. Preferably, wait until 2018/9 and then buy an OLED or QLED TV. That's my plan, and why I spent a "low" $300 on the 6290 instead of going more expensive on a TV that will be outdated soon.

Last edited:
Buddy, I linked the article for a reason. I can't do your reading for ya :)

The article states, literally, "KS8000 supports 4K and HDR with game mode enabled, with a display latency of 21.1 ms". There's your answer.

But how is the input lag?!?

Need your guys opinions here. I just bought the 43" version UN43KU6300 of the TV for 324.99 with Samsung Employee Pricing. I read through this entire thread and am thrilled to upgrade my 24" 1080p IPS display. I was originally planning on buying the 40", but the price seemed to good to pass up on the 43" 6300 version. My viewing distance is around 4' so I should be good right? I just don't want it to be too big to where I'm uncomfortable viewing and multitasking on it.

Also, I probably need to upgrade but I'd like to try to make my AMD 7970 play nice. I'm guessing I'll have to use some sort of display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter to do this. Anyone have any experience with this. Until I find a solution, if I use HDMI, I'll still be able to get 4k60, but only at 4:2:2 right?

BTW, the 40KU6290 is only 254.99 (Before Tax / Tax in 20 States) right now from HHGregg after code BlackFriday. So it came down to 43" 6300 (340ish after tax) vs 40" 6290 (270ish after tax). What would you guys pick if you were me.

Last edited:
Need your guys opinions here. I just bought the 43" version UN43KU6300 of the TV for 324.99 with Samsung Employee Pricing. I read through this entire thread and am thrilled to upgrade my 24" 1080p IPS display. I was originally planning on buying the 40", but the price seemed to good to pass up on the 43" 6300 version. My viewing distance is around 4' so I should be good right? I just don't want it to be too big to where I'm uncomfortable viewing and multitasking on it.

Also, I probably need to upgrade but I'd like to try to make my AMD 7970 play nice. I'm guessing I'll have to use some sort of display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter to do this. Anyone have any experience with this. Until I find a solution, if I use HDMI, I'll still be able to get 4k60, but only at 4:2:2 right?

BTW, the 40KU6290 is only 254.99 (Before Tax / Tax in 20 States) right now from HHGregg after code BlackFriday. So it came down to 43" 6300 (340ish after tax) vs 40" 6290 (270ish after tax). What would you guys pick if you were me.

The 43" by far, if you don't have to worry about the stand's physical footprint.

You can always downsize if you feel that way after testing for a week or two. But you'll always wonder how the bigger model would've been if you settle for less.

What would you guys pick if you were me.

At the price you mentioned, the 43 is the better deal. Then again you have that special pricing that most of us don't have access to, so for most regular people the 40" is the better option.

Check the specs of your GPU for max resolution. I have no experience with DisplayPort > HDMI2 adapters, but I'd sooner recommend you get a RX 470 / 480 or GTX 1050 / 1060 instead of messing with adapters, since you only mentioned multitasking and doesn't seem you would heavily game on this system. A regular adapter would cost you $30, when for just $99 you could get a cheap 1050 that would give you HDMI2 for 4K60 while using much less electricity. I did not check performance numbers though, just make sure you're not losing graphics power (or just get a 1060 and you'll be fine).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
under expert settings go to auto motion plus. set it to a custom value. the default auto value gives a soap opera effect. rtings recommends 3 or 4 to smooth out

if you turn Auto Motion Plus "on" it defaults to auto and has an obvious Soap Opera effect. if you select "custom" you can manually enter a number from 1 to 10. the Rtings review recommends 3 or 4. i have mine set to 3 and it works great. no Soap effect and no noticeable judder.

Does turning on auto motion plus have any effect on input lag? I have it off since I figured any additional processing could potentially increase input lag.

Back