Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

In another thread someone was complaining about the ghosting/smearing/trailing/etc. I have noted this before, and even made a video. However, I'm looking now, even on the same content that was problematic before, and the ghosting is nearly gone.

The only thing I can think is the firmware update I did a few days ago. Is it possible Samsung patched the ghosting away? I don't think it's placebo, it definitely looks better. Can someone else try and see if this is real?

With hdmi 1 in PC mode, the menu states HDR+ is not an available option... at least with my setup.

I'm on version 1150. I should mention, I have switched ports around and adjusted settings recently as well, so maybe that has to do with it. Originally the computer was on HDMI 1. Now it's on HDMI 2.

HDR+ is not available in PC Mode. it is a processing technique designed to add an HDR effect to non HDR content. it adds a ton of input lag. if you just want HDR without the additional processing you just need to make sure you have UHD Color on for HDMI 1.

"One of the biggest benefits of HDR+ is its ability to upgrade Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) content to HDR-like picture quality, allowing viewers to enjoy all of their favorite content in the highest picture quality possible."

"With HDR native contents, HDR+ also uncovers previously hidden images from darker content scenes, supplementing the level of brightness to express objects hidden in darker shadows. For brighter content scenes, HDR+ increases the level of contrast ratio to differentiate objects from the background, while still depicting more image details on the screen for an overall better picture."

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-announces-hdr-update.html

In another thread someone was complaining about the ghosting/smearing/trailing/etc. I have noted this before, and even made a video. However, I'm looking now, even on the same content that was problematic before, and the ghosting is nearly gone.

The only thing I can think is the firmware update I did a few days ago. Is it possible Samsung patched the ghosting away? I don't think it's placebo, it definitely looks better. Can someone else try and see if this is real?

Every non-TN/144Hz panel I've seen has had some level of ghosting if I went looking for it. I would put this one low enough on the scale that I don't notice it during normal gameplay so it doesn't bother me at all.

You can do 4K60 on any port but only HDMI 1 supports 4:4:4 at that res. I'm using my PC on HDMI 2 and PS4 Pro on HDMI 3 and everything is fine (though at 4:2:0 color)

HDR+ is not available in PC Mode. it is a processing technique designed to add an HDR effect to non HDR content. it adds a ton of input lag. if you just want HDR without the additional processing you just need to make sure you have UHD Color on for HDMI 1.

Ah, this, I did not know. Very good information. Thank you, kind sir! I thought HDR+ would have to be enabled to "kick in" whatever HDR processing this TV does. Seems like that's not the case. As long as the HDR10 processing kicks in when I play an HDR file, I'm all good, despite this TV's incapacity to play HDR in its full glory. I've been downloading 4K and HDR videos from here for a while now! Looking forward to try them. If HDR doesn't kick in on PC mode for some reason, it'll be as easy as putting the files on a USB stick and using the TV's player.

just picked up the 6290 for 318 out the door at Best Buy today. After fiddling with the settings and using a decent HDMI cable I got HDR 60Hz working. Smaller text is MUCH clearer now. Its not as smooth as my Qnix 2710 @90Hz but theres soooo much more space available...I only wanted to check them out but my wife actually convinced me to try it. Guess she was tired of my 3 monitor setup lol

Just got this tv and I've spent days trying to get it to run UHD @ 60hz off my late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro - out Minidisplay port into Plugable brand MiniDp to HDMI 2 adaptor with a new "high speed" hdmi cable. I've got all TV settings right - into hdmi 1, pc mode, UHD color on. I can get 3840x2160 only thanks to SwitchResX, but no 60 hz. Does anyone have any ideas - I've got the GeForce 750M. Thanks so much.

I just bought the 6290 model from the local BestBuy (~$325 out the door in CA). I was also puzzled how to enable 4:4:4 color @ 60Hz at first, but finally found the right setting in the TV's settings: Settings->Picture->Expert->HDMI UHD Color->HDMI1->Yes. Once you do that, the NVIDIA control panel lets you select 4k + RGB8 color (or YCrCb 4:4:4).

In general, the monitor comes with meh picture settings, but after calibrating it, the colors are accurate. To do this:

1. Enable "Full" HDMI range from the NVIDIA color options.
2. Form the TV, set the brightness to exactly 61 and the contrast to 82. Any other values would clamp to black or over-saturate the image.
3. Turn down the image sharpness to 35. Smaller values make the text blurry, higher values have temporal instability.
4. Gamma can be left at 0 or set to -1. The proper 2.2 gamma is right in the middle of the two settings.

The main issue with this monitor is input lag - once you enable 4:4:4 color, the game mode option is disabled and some lag is added. To combat it, make sure to set the prerendered frames to 1 in the NVIDIA control panel.

Overall I am very satisfied (even excluding the good price). I can fit 3 windows of the code I am writing at once on the screen. Did a quick test in Quake 3, with 1 prerendered frame the lag is acceptable in my opinion, but obviously not for competitive play. Not sure if AMD allows decreasing the default driver latency, and so YMMV if you are on the red team.

Discounts kicked in already. The 6300 is already at $347, but Amazon still doesn't have 6290 in stock, so I gotta wait. The discounts run for the whole week anyway.

Would anybody purchase directly from Samsung? I don't trust them with my card info, Amazon has much better sales reputation. Also I got $80 in gift card money I'd like to use for this. Guess I'll keep my wishlist on autorefresh until I see Amazon stock for the 6290, and if all else fails, get the 6300 - with the gift card money, I'd still be spending less than bought from Samsung directly anyway.

Last edited:
Discounts kicked in already. The 6300 is already at $347, but Amazon still doesn't have 6290 in stock, so I gotta wait. The discounts run for the whole week anyway.

Would anybody purchase directly from Samsung? I don't trust them with my card info, Amazon has much better sales reputation. Also I got $80 in gift card money I'd like to use for this. Guess I'll keep my wishlist on autorefresh until I see Amazon stock for the 6290, and if all else fails, get the 6300 - with the gift card money, I'd still be spending less than bought from Samsung directly anyway.

I heard Amazon is not an authorized dealer for Samsung and I read some people are complaining in the reviews that they are not getting the warranty with the TV when purchasing through Amazon, im not 100% sure if this is true or not but the place I just purchased my ku6290 from (not Amazon) says Authorized Samsung Dealer on the product page

I live in Canada and I actually do not get the manufacturers warranty because it is valid in the US only, so if I had a problem with the tv I would have to drive down to get it fixed which is a big hassle, so I actually got the 2 year square trade warranty for $26.99 which seems good, it is an international warranty so I will be covered

Also the site I purchased from has Free Shipping to Canada and allows for pre-paid customs and duties so I don't got to pay anything when it arrives to me, I got all this for $367 US ($500CAD) which is a great deal, this tv cost $799 CAD at the local Bestbuyand after tax and eco fee's it would cost $930 CAD lol

EDIT: I spoke too soon, i seen the black friday specials at bestbuy here in Canada and the 40" KU6270 is going on sale for $499, so ill still be saving around $100, also im not quite sure what the difference between the 6290 and 6270 are... probably a very small difference

Last edited:
I oredered this TV thanks to this thread here from Amazon and should have it wednesday. We'll see how it goes. I hope the input lag doesn't piss me off.

I oredered this TV thanks to this thread here from Amazon and should have it wednesday. We'll see how it goes. I hope the input lag doesn't piss me off.
once you get the settings figured out the input lag shoudlnt really be noticeable

Amazon still has no stock on 6290. I can order from Samsung paying via Paypal, which removes my main concern about Samsung handling my bank data.

Would you guys just buy directly from Samsung? Free standard shipping, I could have the TV by Thursday... If anything's wrong with the delivery, I know Amazon will have my back, but I have no idea how Samsung would react...

Amazon still has no stock on 6290. I can order from Samsung paying via Paypal, which removes my main concern about Samsung handling my bank data.

Would you guys just buy directly from Samsung? Free standard shipping, I could have the TV by Thursday... If anything's wrong with the delivery, I know Amazon will have my back, but I have no idea how Samsung would react...

If you can use PayPal what can you lose? They protect the buyer more than the seller all day. TV/Monitor is great, so cheap at this price.

I could use my $80 on gift card balance when purchasing through Amazon. I'll give it a couple days, if they don't get stock before Samsung's offer expires, I'll just buy it from them directly.

just got the tv setup.

What is the aboslute best setup for gaming /reduced lag?
also, i notice the picture starts to dim , what feature disables that?

just got the tv setup.

What is the aboslute best setup for gaming /reduced lag?
also, i notice the picture starts to dim , what feature disables that?

The Eco features in the System setup control dimming. In really dark scenes, the TV will still dim a little unless you crank the backlight up a bit (and then lower color calibrations to compensate for the raised backlight).

thank you very much.

TV looks great. Now one more question, has anyone made any custom resolutions/ refresh rates? 1080p at 120hz? My old 39 inch seiki that was what i generally ran with and it was decent on gaming. I tried making a custom profile and that didnt work.

thank you very much.

TV looks great. Now one more question, has anyone made any custom resolutions/ refresh rates? 1080p at 120hz? My old 39 inch seiki that was what i generally ran with and it was decent on gaming. I tried making a custom profile and that didnt work.

a couple guys on here have had good success with ultra wide (21:9) custom settings. i haven't tried anything other than the glorious 3840x2160 yet.

I'm planning on setting this up as a PC display via HDMI from a GTX 1070. Has anyone attempted portrait orientation on this TV? What were your results?

Just a follow up. I purchased 3 of these from Costco @ $289 each. I'm planning to put 2 in Portrait mode on either side of the primary landscape panel in the center. I'm waiting on some DP 1.2 -> HDMI 2.0 adapters for my 2 GTX 670 4GB cards, but the GTX 1070 I installed was enough to test portrait mode for these panels. And portrait mode works fine.

Current interim setup is 27" Portrait 1440p (Korean) - 40" Landscape 2160p (Samsung KU6290) - 27" Portrait 1440p (Korean), which is also a VERY slick setup.

Thanks to the many resources on here I was able to get things configured quickly. Except it keeps dropping out of Dynamic Picture Mode when the signal drops (computer power save, reboot, etc). Anyone else dealt with this problem yet?

Just a follow up. I purchased 3 of these from Costco @ $289 each. I'm planning to put 2 in Portrait mode on either side of the primary landscape panel in the center. I'm waiting on some DP 1.2 -> HDMI 2.0 adapters for my 2 GTX 670 4GB cards, but the GTX 1070 I installed was enough to test portrait mode for these panels. And portrait mode works fine.

Current interim setup is 27" Portrait 1440p (Korean) - 40" Landscape 2160p (Samsung KU6290) - 27" Portrait 1440p (Korean), which is also a VERY slick setup.

Thanks to the many resources on here I was able to get things configured quickly. Except it keeps dropping out of Dynamic Picture Mode when the signal drops (computer power save, reboot, etc). Anyone else dealt with this problem yet?

what do you use your setup for? Twitch streaming?

what do you use your setup for? Twitch streaming?

I'm a software developer / DBA. So I have a lot of coding and query windows open simultaneously. I prefer portrait mode for code and browser windows. I also play flight and space combat sims, like X-Plane and Star Citizen.

I'm going to see if I can get by with my 2 GTX 670s and the single GTX 1070 for the center monitor for now. nVidia Volta will be where we really start to see gaming come into its own in 4k, and I'll really be able to push the envelope with the sims at that point. The KU6300/KU6290 price / performance ratio is too incredible to ignore, so I jumped the shark a bit in anticipation of Volta next year. I won't replace these screens until OLED finishes maturing and begins to exhibit the better price-points from mass production.

a couple guys on here have had good success with ultra wide (21:9) custom settings. i haven't tried anything other than the glorious 3840x2160 yet.

Try 3840x1620 if you want to keep your native 1:1 pixel size, or 1920x810 if you want to ease up on the GPU a bit. Just set it up in the Nvidia or AMD control panel, at 60hz, it's easy to do but only works well when the game supports 21:9 aspect ratio.

How far back are all of you sitting from the screen? And are you using scaling?

150 or 200% scaling in Windows, sitting back about 3 feet (sitting at a nornal desk with the TV mounted on the wall in front of me). I adjust the browser scaling fairly often.

Has anyone had success getting 60hz coming from a DisplayPort going through an active adapter into the HDMI 1 input (using a MacBook Pro or GeForce 750)? I'm still not getting it to work with my late 2013 MacBook Pro and I was pretty sure through DisplayPort 1.2 this should work? Thanks...

That's too far to get the full
Has anyone had success getting 60hz coming from a DisplayPort going through an active adapter into the HDMI 1 input (using a MacBook Pro or GeForce 750)? I'm still not getting it to work with my late 2013 MacBook Pro and I was pretty sure through DisplayPort 1.2 this should work? Thanks...

Depends largely on the adapter, not so much the display, since so many support 4K@60Hz via HDMI 2.0 now. What adapter are you using? Club3D? Something else?

are you sure your MacBook supports 4k@60? there was at least one other guy earlier in this thread that spent some time (and several adapters) trying to get 60hz before realizing it was not supported at all by his MacBook.

That's exactly what I'd do. Equivalent to 1440p on 40". It's the sweet spot for me, anything smaller I cannot read comfortably.

I've been using it at 100% scaling from about 2-3 feet away. It feels ok, and I dont feel like I'm straining to read text. Is this something that might cause problems down the road with eye strain from continued use?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Probably depends on your age, but when I was in my early 20s, I could read tiny text and all was great. Now in my 30s if I do that for a while, I get a headache. Thus why I use 40" monitors with lots of space to fill whenever I want bigger text.

In other news, bought the 6290! I was tired of Amazon not figuring out their stock for 2 days, so I just went ahead and bought directly from Samsung. We'll see how they perform. I wanted to use the $80 gift card balance I have, but I'm still going to use it on my next GPU purchase, so who cares.

anyone have a suggestion for a stand replacement? Something like a swivel arm? Amazon Basics has one that supports up to 25lbs...

Back