Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

You mean with 2x1080 you can't get decent frames? OMG.... :-S

The new Deus Ex is a very very poorly optimized PC port so its not surprising. People with a single 1080 @1080p were only getting like 60fps with max settings and it fluctuated a lot. The game looks good, but not that good, and @ 1080p a 1080 should crush it and get high fps on a high end rig.

You mean with 2x1080 you can't get decent frames? OMG.... :-S
Well, on my main rig (in sig) I have 2 GTX 1080's and I *can* get decent frame-rates at 1440P. However, Surround is a no-go, so single screen only.

On my other machine (the one I'm using in this thread) I have a Titan XP, and even that is not enough to run Deus Ex at 4K resolution (even on min settings). But, with this custom resolution, I can run the game on High settings and get around 60 - 70 FPS, which is what I need.

Like Malinkadink said, the game is not optimized well. I mean, it does look good but I've seen other good looking games that can run decent on high-end hardware. Maybe the Dx12 patch will help, let's hope at least.

For $379 you have to be smoking something not to buy it.

that ebay deal lead me to this thread. after reading 4 pages with mostly very positive comments when this thing was going for $427 to $500 i was sold by page 4 at $379.

thanks for all the info!

now i'm worried my single 980Ti is going to get murdered...

Awesome! I think you'll be really happy at that price.

I was playing a number of games at 4K on a GTX 970, so it's possible. Some older games you can probably max out still with a 980 Ti, but newer games you'll likely have to turn down settings.

You can also try the custom resolution trick that euskalzabe found. I'm actually digging that mode, and it performs much better in intensive games and still looks good.

I found that eBay deal for 380 shipped with tax and jumped on it. Coming from 2 27" 1080 displays and pumped to jump to 4k.

I will be using this for 1 laptop at 4k(work). The other will be 1080 for a desktop PC. I don't really need 4k on my desktop as all I do is game and plan on gaming at 1080 anyways. Can I set HDMI 1 to pc and HDMI 2 to game mode for lower latency?

Also I lol when I see us discussing "cheap" large displays and people go all "yeah just get a Titan XP"....that is $1200.

I just tried it and I was able to get Game Mode on HDMI 2. However, I'm having weird issues with Game Mode turning itself off (after switching display settings, resolution, etc.). Since this morning, I was only able to get Game Mode to enable reliably at 50Hz refresh, I don't know why. Then, after testing HDMI 2 and moving the cable back to HDMI 1, I'm able to get Game Mode and 60Hz working, even with UHD Color mode. In Windows I have color set to YCbCr422 (previously only 420 was an option). I'll still have to mess with it more to understand what is causing the Game Mode to disable. But you can get it working if you tweak the settings enough.

Hmm.. not sure what I did, but now I was able to create my custom resolution (3840x1640) at 60Hz, which wasn't working before.

I think I finally have things about as good as they can get. Custom resolution, 60Hz, Game Mode, and UHD Color are all enabled and working. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Hmm.. not sure what I did, but now I was able to create my custom resolution (3840x1640) at 60Hz, which wasn't working before.

I think I finally have things about as good as they can get. Custom resolution, 60Hz, Game Mode, and UHD Color are all enabled and working. Hopefully it will stay like that.

Which input type are you using?

are you guys using a calibrated ICC profile or did you adjust the TV settings using those suggested on the rtings review?

Pretty sure HDMI 1 is the only HDMI 2.0 port the other two are HDMI 1.4, so you'll only get 60hz 4k on the first HDMI input. So you're saying you got UHD Color, Game Mode, and 60hz working @ 4k with a custom resolution in NVCP? Or did you also need to swap the cable at some point to get it to stick? I'm still on the fence about picking this up, but for $380 and 60hz 4:4:4 and Game mode to minimize latency sounds good to me.

Yes, it's been on HDMI 1 the whole time. I only tried the second port as a quick test for the other poster.

I think I noticed what changed. Before the Input was named "PC" and that was when I was having problems. Now it's called "DVI" and seems to be working as I want.

What I don't understand, is what I did that made the TV detect the input as DVI versus PC. I know you can edit the name, but I haven't done that. See below, fully working.

KU6300_DVI.jpg

Yes. So in 4:4:4 mode, that image looks correct. Which I was able to do in 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

However, I think I figured out what was confusing me. It appears that 4:4:4 only works on PC input, but Game Mode does not (it becomes grayed out).

These posts in this other thread seem to suggest that my assumption is correct in that Game Mode is not available at 4:4:4.

@Fry's B&M - Samsung 4k 43" UN43KU6300 - $497 no tax!

That said, even in 4:2:2 mode, most text in Windows or web browsing looks fine (at least w/ 200% scaling in Windows).

I haven't really had a problem except in some very select cases where thin pixel fonts are being used (like in the EVGA Precision hardware monitor, as an example).

Not sure how important that is to you. For me, I got this for entertainment, so I'll leave Game Mode on and forego 4:4:4. Not a huge deal for me.

How bad is the input lag out of Game mode? Im interested in this display but dont want to switch the input name everytime I want to game. I do a lot of coding and reading text so I would keep it in 4:4:4 all the time.

I just tried a few games without Game Mode. It's definitely playable, but there is subtle amount of lag.

Someone here on the forum mentioned that it was 36ms outside game mode. Rtings has it around 122ms. Not sure which is correct, and these things are hard to spot by eye.

I was going to share that link to the sale on eBay as I really appreciated the discussion here. Thanks everyone. I just bought this on eBay for $379.99 as mentioned. I've been looking at this for months now and was waiting for the right price. So that's it. :) It was more like $500 a couple of months ago and is $429.99 everywhere else.

One thing I'm wondering about though is if I can use this with wireless headphones and have the sound out of the speakers cancelled as I need to have it be quiet while I'm listening. I see it has bluetooth but didn't know if this would cut the speaker sound. Attached is an image of the side inputs.

ku6300-inputs-side-large.jpg

Thanks for any input on this. Once I get it and use it I'll provide my own feedback.

Thanks again to all of you. :)

Last edited:
from what i've read HDR color mode is not available in game mode either. so you lose HDR and 4:4:4.

my ebay order already has shipping info (FedEx) so it should be here by the middle of next week. i'm replacing a 27" Shimian 2560x1440 IPS. i'm worried about the lose in color accuracy/detail but excited for the size and 4k. i'm gonna swap the screens out and see how long it takes my wife to notice. hopefully i will have developed a good story as to why i had to buy this by then.......

I was going to share that link to the sale on eBay as I really appreciated the discussion here. Thanks everyone. I just bought this on eBay for $379.99 as mentioned. I've been looking at this for months now and was waiting for the right price. So that's it. :) It was more like $500 a couple of months ago and is $429.99 everywhere else.

One thing I'm wondering about though is if I can use this with wireless headphones and have the sound out of the speakers cancelled as I need to have it be quiet while I'm listening. I see it has bluetooth but didn't know if this would cut the speaker sound. Attached is an image of the side inputs.

View attachment 7504
Thanks for any input on this. Once I get it and use it I'll provide my own feedback.

Thanks again to all of you. :)

found this on the rtings.com review. i would assume after changing the speaker output to bluetooth the main speakers would be muted.

"Do you know if the model UN60KU6300 will be capable of syncing a bluetooth headset? I've looked for the specs and can see that it has bluetooth but nothing specifies if its BT HID!

Yes it is possible. Under 'Settings'->'Sound'->'Sound Output' select 'Bluetooth Speaker' and pair with your headset."

I just tried a few games without Game Mode. It's definitely playable, but there is subtle amount of lag.

Someone here on the forum mentioned that it was 36ms outside game mode. Rtings has it around 122ms. Not sure which is correct, and these things are hard to spot by eye.

that Rtings 122ms number is from the other non "PC" modes. in the Q&A section of the review they confirm that PC mode is 36ms.

"Greetings, I'm curious as to the input lag on this display when set to PC mode instead of Game mode as I'd plan to use this for both general PC usage and PC gaming.

When set to PC mode, the input lag is 36.7ms. This should not be an issue for most people but serious gamers should change the input to 'Game Console', even when playing PC games. The advantage of PC mode is the chroma 4:4:4 support, so if this is not necessary for you then you can use 'Game Console' all the time."

Quick question - why so much interest in enabling game mode? As far as I've read, this TV only does 4:4:4 if 1) connected to HDMI 1 (the only 2.0 port), 2) renamed the channel to PC and 3) enabling UHD color. Game mode is never advertised as 4:4:4 so why the interest? Just for the lower input lag? (which is a perfectly valid reason, just curious).

Also, the KU6300 is going for $427 today sold by Amazon. Clearly they can sell this cheap, which is probably cos Vizio is cleaning house with their dirt cheap D40U (which doesn't do 4:4:4 so it's no good as monitor, but it'll help drive prices down for the rest of us :) )

Best Buy also has this on sale (and will PM Amazon if you want the extra two bucks). If you live in a state where Amazon collects tax, then it would be better/quicker just to get it from BB.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks andy4theherd for sharing that. Seems like that would work. And now I saw somewhere else where the guy said it does work, but he had to be really close to the set to get reception when he was viewing apps like Netflix.

I just ordered this a few hours ago at 4AM on eBay and they sent me an email with a tracking number stating it's already been shipped. But it probably hasn't actually been shipped but maybe will on Tuesday I'm guessing. I used to be a PowerSeller on eBay, and PayPal won't pay the seller until the item has shipped. BTW I did have to pay the sales tax, $30.32, as I live about 100 miles from the seller in CA. But I would have had to pay it anyway as Amazon charges tax to CA residents and BestBuy obviously charges tax.

I added a SquareTrade 3 year extended warranty today for $38.99, just to be sure I'm covered.

Last edited:
euskalzabe To be honest, I never even knew what 4:4:4 was before I started looking at buying this TV. Been using computer monitors mostly for years, so it was never an issue. But it seemed like something people really wanted, so it became a feature I wanted too. After getting the TV and messing with the settings, I can definitely see what 4:4:4 brings, and if I was using this as my primary computer to do work and what not, I might want 4:4:4 enabled. Though, even on 4:2:2, text and everything still looks great (with Windows scaling at 200%).

In my case, I got this just for entertainment, especially for gaming, and I'd like as low input lag as possible. So Game Mode is pretty important for that. Other people may want this as their primary display. In which cases switching between 4:4:4 and Game Mode every time they want to play a game could be bothersome (though honestly, it doesn't take that long if you do the Game Console trick).

Just looked again at that eBay listing and now it's up to $417.90, $38 more. I knew that wouldn't last long. Classic case of snooze you lose. :) If I see it listed anywhere else for a cheap price I'll let you know. BTW the way I found that eBay listing was from an ad on Google from PriceDroppp.com which seems like a really great site.

Just looked again at that eBay listing and now it's up to $417.90, $38 more. I knew that wouldn't last long. Classic case of snooze you lose. :) If I see it listed anywhere else for a cheap price I'll let you know. BTW the way I found that eBay listing was from an ad on Google from PriceDroppp.com which seems like a really great site.
BTW someone else on eBay is supposedly selling this for $32. I reported them.

Got the 40" on a 2015 rMBP (w/ ATI graphics) using miniDP to HDMI2.0 adapter with 4:4:4 and its very nice. It's still about 430 at best buy and fry's; I'm not sure what other 4k monitors your getting in this price range that are going to compete with this?

#1 complaint with this TV is the fact that it does not save PC mode input setting when you unplug/replug the input. Every time I reconnect laptop I have to go into the input settings and set it back to "PC" to get 4:4:4. I hope they release a FW update to fix this.

It seems like on "PC" mode, you want sharpness to be at 50, but on the regular mode you want sharpness to be at 0.

Got the 40" on a 2015 rMBP (w/ ATI graphics) using miniDP to HDMI2.0 adapter with 4:4:4 and its very nice. It's still about 430 at best buy and fry's; I'm not sure what other 4k monitors your getting in this price range that are going to compete with this?

#1 complaint with this TV is the fact that it does not save PC mode input setting when you unplug/replug the input. Every time I reconnect laptop I have to go into the input settings and set it back to "PC" to get 4:4:4. I hope they release a FW update to fix this.

It seems like on "PC" mode, you want sharpness to be at 50, but on the regular mode you want sharpness to be at 0.

it's by design so i doubt there will be a FW update. the TV "thinks" you are using a new device each time you plug/unplug so it defaults the settings for compatibility reasons. if you have an HDMI switch laying around try it. doubt it would work but worth a shot.

I mentioned the other day that the Video and Audio Center that some of us bought this from on eBay was a large well known electronics retailer in Los Angeles, and therefore thought there wouldn't be any issues. And they have a 100% positive rating on eBay for the last year. But I was doing some more research this morning and it turns out they have a really horrible rating with many scathing comments on Yelp. So I can't back out of my purchase, and it was inexpensive, and hopefully will be okay. But I did purchase a 3 year extended service warranty from SquareTrade today. So hopefully that will cover things just in case there are any issues. And I would recommend this to any of you who made this purchase on eBay. It's cheaper there, $38.99. 3-Year SquareTrade Warranty (TV $350-400). Given the reviews I wouldn't buy from these guys again. But I think they'll be okay dealing with eBay customers as any negative feedback is easily visible unlike Yelp reviews. But many reviews on Yelp said their customer service was horrible. Just a heads up. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I pulled the trigger on the $380 Ebay deal. Really happy with the quality of this display.

I'm using it as a monitor with my MacBook Pro Retina. Replacing a 27" Asus 1080p display.

I'm having a hard time dealing with the lag? response time? ... Basically when I move my mouse, it takes "some time" for the cursor to move. Nothing drastic, but not an issue I noticed when using my Asus. I've played around with the settings a bunch - Game Mode, Sharpness etc - But I'm still struggling to get this to the point where this isn't a noticeable issue so I can get on with my work and gaming.

I'm using an Amazon Basics HDMI Cable that says "High Speed With Ethernet".

I do Web Design, Video Editing and play Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard's MOBA). At it's current configuration, it's basically unplayable because of the delay.

Would love any insight from you fine folks!

So I pulled the trigger on the $380 Ebay deal. Really happy with the quality of this display.

I'm using it as a monitor with my MacBook Pro Retina. Replacing a 27" Asus 1080p display.

I'm having a hard time dealing with the lag? response time? ... Basically when I move my mouse, it takes "some time" for the cursor to move. Nothing drastic, but not an issue I noticed when using my Asus. I've played around with the settings a bunch - Game Mode, Sharpness etc - But I'm still struggling to get this to the point where this isn't a noticeable issue so I can get on with my work and gaming.

I'm using an Amazon Basics HDMI Cable that says "High Speed With Ethernet".

I do Web Design, Video Editing and play Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard's MOBA). At it's current configuration, it's basically unplayable because of the delay.

Would love any insight from you fine folks!
Can you post what input you are using and what resolution also? Input lag on HDMI 1 @1080 was 18ms. That's pretty more or less like a standard monitor. Mine gets here on Friday but I plan on testing the gaming and input lag first.

Also do you notice ghosting when moving boxes around or watching video?

Strange. On my desktop there isn't much lag. More than a good monitor, sure, but still nothing that is distracting or troublesome.

One thing I can think of, I don't think the MBP supports HDMI 2.0. Meaning you may be running at a lower refresh rate like 30Hz. That could be the issue.

Strange. On my desktop there isn't much lag. More than a good monitor, sure, but still nothing that is distracting or troublesome.

One thing I can think of, I don't think the MBP supports HDMI 2.0. Meaning you may be running at a lower refresh rate like 30Hz. That could be the issue.

looks like you are correct about the 30Hz.

-Mac computers released after Mid 2010 are designed to work with HDMI devices complying with versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, 1.3, 1.3a, and 1.4 of the HDMI specification.
-The HDMI port supports up to 1080p on HDMI connections. With the HDMI to DVI adapter, the HDMI port will work with resolutions up to 1920 x 1200. Mac Pro (Late 2013), MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later), iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later), and Mac mini (Late 2014) also support 4k Displays.
-You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs at the following resolutions and refresh rates via the built-in HDMI port.
  • 3840x2160 at 30 Hz refresh rate
  • 4096x2160 at 24 Hz refresh rate (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

Mac computers: Frequently asked questions about using HDMI - Apple Support

I'm looking at that now and it certainly seems like I'm only able to use this at 30Hz. Would that be causing the "lag" that I'm experiencing? I was SO hoping that MacBook Pro's would be announced yesterday as I would be fine with upgrading from my 2013 MBP.

Can you post what input you are using and what resolution also? Input lag on HDMI 1 @1080 was 18ms. That's pretty more or less like a standard monitor. Mine gets here on Friday but I plan on testing the gaming and input lag first.

Also do you notice ghosting when moving boxes around or watching video?

The "lag" I'm talking about doesn't seem as bad when I run it at 1080i - but that kind of defeats the purpose. My old Asus 27" was 1080p. The idea was to have a bigger screen with more screen real estate at a higher resolution.

1080i with a 40" screen right in front of you is overwhelmingly "big".

So I made some progress!

Instead of using the HDMI Port, I'm using the Thunderbolt Port and the refresh rate is perfect. :)

My challenge now is that I'm not able to pull a resolution higher than 1080p without some awful pixelation on the screen.

Using SwitchResX, I'm able to force a resolution of 2560x1440 but the pixelation is too strenuous on my eyes.

Anyone else running a High Resolution and not feeling like they need glasses?

I've already listed this thing back on Craigslist as it's been such a nightmare to even get to this point.

Which displayport to hdmi adapter are you using? The Belkin in my work bag is only rated for 1080p.

Don't blame the TV, blame the MacBook's connectivity. (I say that with two on my desk)

Back