Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

This is great, thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts on the monitor for other computing e.g. productivity apps, coding?

The panel is VA technology, so you aren't going to be using it for color accuracy. Text is sharp as a tack, this TV is going to give you a raging hard on over the added real estate if you are a coder and likewise, if you do video or sound editing. This can be said for pretty much any 40" 4k 60hz TV though. This one is amazingly priced however , I am not sure there are any tvs out there that do 4:4:4 chroma 60hz 4k at this price level. Certainly not without something crippling them like input lag.

Last edited:
Unfortunately i have tried basically everything. There's 5 different threads on the Geforce forums about it so I'm not the only one... I usually hibernate my PC so I can use WOL so it only effects me like once a week when I actually reboot so it's not that big of a deal. It's just a minor annoyance.
Do you have another monitor hooked up? I have a dvi monitor connected as well.

Do you have another monitor hooked up? I have a dvi monitor connected as well.

I have a 27" hooked up by DP, that's how i know my windows has booted up fine but the 4k has not. Today everything worked fine from cold boot which is so weird. Very hit or miss.

This TV sounds very nice for the price. Hoping to use this with the PS4K and a Zen based mega-computer I plan to build in a few months.

Can anyone comment how good this looks for gaming? Right now I've been gaming at 144Hz G-Sync and I'm wondering if the 60Hz TV will look very blurry or choppy.

This TV sounds very nice for the price. Hoping to use this with the PS4K and a Zen based mega-computer I plan to build in a few months.

Can anyone comment how good this looks for gaming? Right now I've been gaming at 144Hz G-Sync and I'm wondering if the 60Hz TV will look very blurry or choppy.

Compared to the 144hz monitor it will be blurry, compared to a pva or ips 60hz display monitor it should be in the same ballpark. Especially in game mode. You will see some ghosting as is typical with pva displays, it is pretty minimal though.

I understand if you're new to gaming on a display that is sold as a TV / HDTV you're going to have some serious doubts and concerns.

A lot of people have come before you. So if you're comfortable with research along with a bit of trust. You're going to be ok.

I've personally seen this set in action. In fact, it's reason I bought my KS8000.

As rtings has reported on this model, it has excellent gaming latency, great blacks and contrast. The colors are vivid. Since it's a lower end model, it does has have an issue with some judder but this can reduced within the set itself in the options menu under "motion plus".

Games look and play fantastic. Web content, video, email, productivity etc all look fantastic.

This is a great display to game on.

So NO .... there is nothing blurry or choppy. Especially with your 1080's in SLI. At 4k you're going to see excellent frame rates with everything turned on.

I understand if you're new to gaming on a display that is sold as a TV / HDTV you're going to have some serious doubts and concerns.

A lot of people have come before you. So if you're comfortable with research along with a bit of trust. You're going to be ok.

I've personally seen this set in action. In fact, it's reason I bought my KS8000.

As rtings has reported on this model, it has excellent gaming latency, great blacks and contrast. The colors are vivid. Since it's a lower end model, it does has have an issue with some judder but this can reduced within the set itself in the options menu under "motion plus".

Games look and play fantastic. Web content, video, email, productivity etc all look fantastic.

This is a great display to game on.

So NO .... there is nothing blurry or choppy. Especially with your 1080's in SLI. At 4k you're going to see excellent frame rates with everything turned on.
I think he was talking more about motion blur compared to his gsync.

Well I understand it's not going to be as smooth as my current setup. I'm not expecting 144Hz response time or G-Sync.

Just wondering if anyone that had it was happy with the gaming performance. I have gamed on TVs before, but it was a long time ago.

Thanks.

Well I understand it's not going to be as smooth as my current setup. I'm not expecting 144Hz response time or G-Sync.

Just wondering if anyone that had it was happy with the gaming performance. I have gamed on TVs before, but it was a long time ago.

Thanks.

Absolutely you will be happy. The difference is amazing going from a regular monitor size.

I'm really close to picking up this set. The only thing that's bugging me is they say the HDR support is not great (while it accepts the signal, the panel can't really display it). Is that a good reason to not buy the TV?

Mostly, I want this for the PS4 Neo, and there are rumors it may support HDR. Should I wait a month or two to find out? I can't seem to find any good HDR sets in the 40" size (which is about the max this desk will support).

Mostly, I want this for the PS4 Neo, and there are rumors it may support HDR. Should I wait a month or two to find out? I can't seem to find any good HDR sets in the 40" size (which is about the max this desk will support).

Hey cybereality (not stalking you, I promise. I'm just following several HDR, 4K related threads :D )

If the primary use will be the PS4K, the KU6300 will display the HDR signal as something better than SDR but not real HDR. It doesn't get bright enough and doesn't support enough DCI-P3 colorspace to be considered wide color gamut. Considering XB1S supports HDR, I would count on the PS4K to do so too. You won't find good HDR sets at 40" size in 2016: manufacturers do this on purpose - if you want the best quality image, PAY MORE for the bigger size TV whether you want it or not. It's the novelty and they can hold you hostage to whatever model they want to make you pay extra for other things that you don't necessarily want, but since there's no alternative, they get away with it.

2017 is the year. These $800 49"+ models will trickle down to $500 40" models with 10 bit panels and 1000+ nits of proper HDR. If you don't need this now, wait until CES2017 in January. If you need it now, buy 49". If you don't like extortion by manufacturers, get the KU6300. Still a great TV despite lack of HDR, just less future proof.

I'm really close to picking up this set. The only thing that's bugging me is they say the HDR support is not great (while it accepts the signal, the panel can't really display it). Is that a good reason to not buy the TV?

Pretty sure even if the ps4 neo supported it the input lag monster would be an issue on sets that support it initially. You pretty much have to turn every picture enhancement feature off on nearly every set out there to get good response times. I think you need to come to terms that there will be compromises you will have to make, particularly with sets at this price point.

Thanks.

i returned my 40" KU6300 for a KS8000 and experienced less motion judder at 4k60P (driven by 2x 1080's)

Man, I love my KS8000. Make sure you use the settings over at rtings to calibrate your display. Turning sharpness down to zero plus all the other settings made the picture just explode.

I would put my KS8000 against any display out there. I've owned them all. This set is amazing.

Just a heads up, you will have the settings change on you from Console / Gaming back to PC automatically every once in awhile. It's a tad bit annoying and I will you could lock the setting so this never changed.

Man, I love my KS8000. Make sure you use the settings over at rtings to calibrate your display. Turning sharpness down to zero plus all the other settings made the picture just explode.

I would put my KS8000 against any display out there. I've owned them all. This set is amazing.

Just a heads up, you will have the settings change on you from Console / Gaming back to PC automatically every once in awhile. It's a tad bit annoying and I will you could lock the setting so this never changed.

I have last year's JU7100 at 40" and contemplating upgrading to KS8000, but the jump to 49" might be a bit much. Looks like it's almost 7" wider and almost 4" taller... I'll have to take a closer look at my space and will have to get rid of the second monitor i'm using in portrait. Too bad there isn't a 43" KS8000

So, I ended up getting the KU6300 today. Was planning on ordering on Amazon, but decided to stop at Best Buy on the way home from work. Glad I did.

OMG! This TV is amazing. The picture is sick. Can't believe I was second guessing this and really crazy what $500 buys you these days.

KU6300UHD.jpg

KU6300UHD2.jpg

Now, I did check out some other TVs in the store. The LG OLED sets were, by far, the best and the color quality was insane. But they were too big for what I needed and much more than $500 anyhow.

However, somehow in my excitement I forgot to buy a new HDMI cable. The cable I have is old, so I think it's limiting me for 30p. When I tried 60Hz the image got purple and cut in half, I assume an HDMI 2.0 cable will solve this.

Did try some games, and they looked nice but not nearly as good as the 4K YouTube videos. It was also running at 30Hz and without tweaking the settings, so maybe that was it. Will do some more gaming tests once I get 60Hz working.

Lastly, I did not have any issues with blurriness, everything looked nice and sharp and clear. Motion on video was good, but gaming left something to be desired. I'm sure it will look smoother with 60Hz mode (obviously 30Hz is not great coming from a 144Hz monitor).

Overall, though, I am very happy with the purchase. I really can't believe how good 4K looks. Been on 1440p for a while, so I assumed it would just look slightly better, but it's a big difference. Thanks for all the advice, I'm very glad I got this.

Last edited:
If people here on HardOCP knew how amazing the KU6300 was for $500 this whole forum would arrupt. It's pretty incredible picture wise, 4:4:4 and super low latency.

The KS8000 is even better.

So, I ended up getting the KU6300 today.

Yay, congrats! I hope you enjoy it. Now I'm jealous :)

The LG OLED sets were, by far, the best and the color quality was insane. But they were too big for what I needed and much more than $500 anyhow.

Yeah, we all want OLED, it's the perfect picture, but it's craaaaaazy expensive for now and the next few years still.

However, somehow in my excitement I forgot to buy a new HDMI cable. The cable I have is old, so I think it's limiting me for 30p. When I tried 60Hz the image got purple and cut in half, I assume an HDMI 2.0 cable will solve this.

Most certainly it's the cable. Note that only 1 of the ports on the KU6300 (I think it's HDMI 1) is 2.0 compatible. Just get any cheap high speed HDMI cable - the AmazonBasics one works perfectly, I have several. That'll get you 4K60 no problem. You probably have to set the channel you're on by renaming it to PC and I think then you can also enable UHD color. Let us know how your experience goes!

Would you mind posting some high res pictures of the screen? The desert image looks astoundingly good in your previous images. If you could post a word document with a bunch of text at a regular size - like, 12pt - I would so appreciate it. I have an idea of how it would look like from using Nvidia's DSR on my 1080p screen to get a feel of what 4K at 150% scaling would look like but if you can post an image then I can see the real deal. Gotta say I'm tempted more and more as the price is stupid low... but I want HDR too... argh... :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have last year's JU7100 at 40" and contemplating upgrading to KS8000, but the jump to 49" might be a bit much. Looks like it's almost 7" wider and almost 4" taller... I'll have to take a closer look at my space and will have to get rid of the second monitor i'm using in portrait. Too bad there isn't a 43" KS8000

I decided to take a look at the KS8000 in store and Best Buy had the 49" model on display. I convinced myself that it didn't look that much bigger than my 40" JU7100 (2015) and now one is sitting on my desk. The JU7100 is an great TV/monitor, but this KS8000 noticeably better in color and PQ in my eyes. I still need to calibrate the color a bit, but out of the box its still pretty nice.

Still getting used to the size... The KS8000 is much thinner and allows me to sit the screen an inch or so back from where my 40" was sitting which has helped a bit.

Played around with the set more tonight. Somehow I got 4K@60Hz and GameMode working, and I think at 4:4:4 (at least I set it to Ultra HD Color, I believe that's the setting). Not sure why it was tweaking out yesterday. Will still swap to a new cable tomorrow, but I'm not sure it can get much better.

It really looks so good. Played some games too, obviously much better at 60Hz and felt acceptably smooth. Mostly older games (Left4Dead and Ridge Racer Unbounded) since I only have a GTX 970 in that machine, but I'm downloading Crysis 3 now to try to push it.

I did take some better photos, but (of course) they don't do it justice. The detail is great, colors really pop, and everything looks great. Only drawback I found so far is in GameMode there seems to be some element of ghosting / black smear. Not really noticeable in game or video content, but with desktop text you can see the feint trails when scrolling the page, etc. Not a huge deal.

KU6300UHD3.jpg

http://cybereality.com/images/KU6300UHD3.jpg

KU6300UHD4.jpg

http://cybereality.com/images/KU6300UHD4.jpg

KU6300UHD5.jpg

http://cybereality.com/images/KU6300UHD5.jpg

KU6300UHD6.jpg

http://cybereality.com/images/KU6300UHD6.jpg

KU6300UHD7.jpg

http://cybereality.com/images/KU6300UHD7.jpg

KU6300UHD8.jpg

http://cybereality.com/images/KU6300UHD8.jpg

This may be the best $500 I've ever spent. For gaming, it even gives my triple Asus ROG Swift setup a run for it's money (and I can tell you each one of those monitors cost me a LOT more than $500). Of course, the Samsung doesn't have G-Sync or 3D, but for 2D gaming the 4K TV seems like a comfortable choice.

Still want to test the HDMI 2.0 cable (though I can't imagine the picture could look much better) and get some quality time in a game outside of the quick tests I've been doing. Overall, though, I'm not sure there is much better than this, in the size or price range. Not by a long shot.

If you could post a word document with a bunch of text at a regular size - like, 12pt - I would so appreciate it.
I don't have Word, but I downloaded OpenOffice. Sadly the text editor itself didn't scale properly for 4K (it looked like a standard def resolution scaled up due to Windows scaling) so it looked really pixelated and bad. I did save to a PDF and opened the PDF in Edge so you could see the full quality. Web browser text does look correct, as does text in Windows, so it may be an OpenOffice bug.

I have an idea of how it would look like from using Nvidia's DSR on my 1080p screen to get a feel of what 4K at 150% scaling would look like but if you can post an image then I can see the real deal.
I did try DSR at 2.0 before on my 23" 1080P monitor I replaced. It gave me an idea of the performance of games, but not the picture quality. DSR looks better, sure, but you can't fake detail that's not there.

Gotta say I'm tempted more and more as the price is stupid low... but I want HDR too... argh... :D
Honestly, the image on this set practically looks like HDR. I mean, not quite, but certainly more than acceptable. And I think someone mentioned in another thread, GameMode would probably disable HDR for better latency and barely any games (if any at all) support HDR. So it's not a huge loss.

Got Crysis 3 installed. This is a much better test for the 4K display. It looks absolutely phenomenal.

KU6300UHD9.jpg

KU6300UHD10.jpg

KU6300UHD11.jpg

KU6300UHD12.jpg

However, the GTX 970 was having a hard time keeping up. On Very High settings I was getting around 15 FPS. Took it down to Medium, and was getting a playable 30 - 40 FPS. Not perfect, but enough to at least test the tv with a modern game. Looks great.

Darn, that looks absolutely spectacular. You're tempting me to get one! I would at least wait until Black Friday... but wow. The colors that your pictures show are very satisfying, despite the lack of DCI-P3 wide gamut color. Thanks for the pictures with text and for going through the trouble of downloading open office, the PDF really looks smooth (as it does when I use DSR to try on my 1080p screen, but there it also gets blurry as there's not enough real pixels to see the full detail). I keep reading that with scaling it's very much hit or miss, specially for the menus. I guess as long as text is correctly rendered, we can ignore menus - but then again I get MS Office through work which has better scaling support than OO.

It looks like either you set it up at 200% scaling or Windows 10 did automatically for you (as I hear it has a tendency to jump to 200%). Have you tried scaling down a bit? I find that 150% is perfect for me: enough detail, things don't get too small and you gain a vast amount of desktop space. 200% is too much for me, my max would be 175% and 150% is perfect, but of course this is personal taste.

I usually like to test my screens with this image so you can check all the smooth color gradation in your SRGB coverage. I would guess the KU6300 would display this wonderfully.

Keep enjoying the TV!

Darn, that looks absolutely spectacular. You're tempting me to get one! I would at least wait until Black Friday... but wow. The colors that your pictures show are very satisfying, despite the lack of DCI-P3 wide gamut color. Thanks for the pictures with text and for going through the trouble of downloading open office, the PDF really looks smooth (as it does when I use DSR to try on my 1080p screen, but there it also gets blurry as there's not enough real pixels to see the full detail). I keep reading that with scaling it's very much hit or miss, specially for the menus. I guess as long as text is correctly rendered, we can ignore menus - but then again I get MS Office through work which has better scaling support than OO.

It looks like either you set it up at 200% scaling or Windows 10 did automatically for you (as I hear it has a tendency to jump to 200%). Have you tried scaling down a bit? I find that 150% is perfect for me: enough detail, things don't get too small and you gain a vast amount of desktop space. 200% is too much for me, my max would be 175% and 150% is perfect, but of course this is personal taste.

I usually like to test my screens with this image so you can check all the smooth color gradation in your SRGB coverage. I would guess the KU6300 would display this wonderfully.

Keep enjoying the TV!

Scaling works nicely in Win 10 with 4K screens. A couple of games/apps I used to scale up to 4k using DSR on a 1080p had blurry text before, but naturally once I got a 4K screen (I own the Samsung KS8500 at 55"), the once small and blurry text just turned into small (relative to the image), but very clear text.

You end up getting a ton of extra desktop real estate.

If you game casually and enjoy having nice image quality on a big screen definitely get one of these 4K TVs. (just check rtings.com for a review and look for ones with low input lag if you do game.) They don't have all the bells and whistles like 144Hz or G-Sync, but if you've got enough GPU horsepower you'll still get very nice and smooth gaming.

Got Crysis 3 installed. This is a much better test for the 4K display. It looks absolutely phenomenal.

However, the GTX 970 was having a hard time keeping up. On Very High settings I was getting around 15 FPS. Took it down to Medium, and was getting a playable 30 - 40 FPS. Not perfect, but enough to at least test the tv with a modern game. Looks great.

The other thing you can try is paying the extra $3/mo and watching some netflix 4k. I started watching Narcos in 4k on my set and it's ridiculous. Marco Polo has 4k HDR (even though our panel is 8-bit and does HDR through dithering) and it was pretty cool but I couldn't get over the shaky cam bullshit.

The other thing you can try is paying the extra $3/mo and watching some netflix 4k.

My concern about that is connection speed. I'm on 20mbps and even then 1080p video sometimes keeps going down in quality, surely because ATT throttles because of "too much traffic"... So I'd be wary of paying for 4K if the connection is not going to be fast enough to stream it: not because you're not paying for the connection speed but because the providers suck endlessly. Of course this will be fixed by the time HEVC/h265 is commonplace and a regular 4K stream weighs no more than a good 1080p one... but that's not the general situation yet (sadly).

I just purchased this 40 inch KU6300 as well as a 43 inch X800D with intentions of keeping 1.

I really don't understand the hype for the Samsung, it has horrendous GtG transitions. I'm talking like early LCD type black trails following text/numbers on white backgrounds. It also has some noticeable inverse ghosting. The real deal breaker though is that it's a blurry mess in games compared to the Sony.

In my opinion the Sony handles motion way better (like night and day difference), has noticeably better colors and feels a bit better input lag wise. I like Samsungs UI/Menu as well as how quickly it powers up but in literally every other way the Sony is superior.

Now the question is if the $250 delta between them is justified for the above benefits + 2.5 inches. I guess for $475 the Samsung is a great deal for those who can look past it's glaring faults but I have to do some further testing to see if I can get use to the blur and obvious ghosting when surfing the web to keep it.

I think the hype is that it's way cheaper and still pretty good. Out of curiosity, can the sony do custom resolutions? Sometimes on my Samsung I will play an ultrawidescreen resolution because it cuts down on the pixes it has to process so I can still have a pretty big screen but also higher graphics settings.

I dunno about pretty good. For those who have no experience with larger displays as computer monitors, it's borderline acceptable. I read that setting the back light at 10 or above eliminates the PWM flicker so there's that. I've had basically every Korean 40+ inch monitor so I've seen it all. This is my first foray in actual TV's.

As for the Sony yes, I just tried 3440x1440 via custom resolution through Nvidia control panel and it works fine although it looks like total ass.

One thing I noticed about my KS8000 is that you do not have access to Game Mode unless you change the Source type. If you have not done this (along with some other settings) it might explain the experience you are having with the KU6300. If you have made the necessary changes, then I don't know what to say because that is much different than what rtings has been reporting along with several users. My KS8000 performs splendidly in games with none of the issues you mention, but it's also twice the price (and larger).

My KS8000 performs splendidly in games with none of the issues you mention, but it's also twice the price (and larger).

I also found the KS8000 to handle motion distinctly better than the KU6300. In the end I returned both because 49" was too big for my face. lol

Geez, seriously? You guys are comparing the KU6300 to the X800D which is at least $250 more or the KS8000 which is more than twice the price. Of course the KU6300 is worse than those two models as they're in different categories. That doesn't change that what you get for the KU6300 is quite good for the price. My 1080p 7 year old 40" Samsung cost me nearly $900 back then. Let's adjust expectations, shall we? It's great value at $450-500. If you jump up in quality range, you'll get much better, no need to be a genius to understand that. I myself would rather have a KS8000 like TV but it's not manufactured at 40", which is why the only solution is waiting until 2017 where the ~$800 range quality/features will come down to the $500 range while the former will probably, finally get HDMI 2.1 with dynamic metadata HDR and more than 1000+ (hopefully 1500 or 2000) nits for excellent and not just good enough HDR.

People are looking at large monitors all wrong. Most of you would have 2 or 4 monitors on you desk if you had the resources and the vertical stacking room. Not all, but most.

A 49" display, a 32", a 43", etc etc @ 4K is exactly ... EXACTLY this. There is one difference I guess, there are no bezels.

For me it's a mental issue the owner has with a large display. After all the display sits the same distance as a smaller display would in most cases.

I love the immersion factor a large display affords one during game play.

For the money and performance, the KU6300 is amazing. G2G is a marketing tool to sell you on a product. Has zero to do with latency.

If you're a big boy with bigger pockets then get the KS8000. But as I've stated many times, I've seen the KU6300 and it's pretty damn amazing. It has all the right numbers you want.

19.8ms latency .... 4:4:4 ... vibrant colors, deep blacks, great contrast. The build quality is the best there is period. Better than Sony. The display is incredibly slim with an amazingly tiny tiny bezel.

The people that complain about this display have absolutely no history with large displays, gaming, this display in particular or have for whatever reasons to focus on the few cons this display has which I assure you are almost zero.

The whole G2G / Judder debate is silly and it's nothing more than nitpicking.

If you are worried about your TV that much then ffs buy you a TV based on whatever they are pipping through at your local Bestbuy, if it's good then buy it and take the set home and watch nothing but TV on it. End of discussion. It's that black and white to me.

If you are buying this set for desktop use / gaming / 4k / etc then judder and all that other crap people trying to a point of should be secondary.

Learn to manage your expectations.

So, I've seen the trails you're talking about. However, they are only really noticeable with black text on a white background (admittedly common if you browse the web). In gaming or video applications I could not see this effect at all.

Aside from that, everything looks really good. Last time I gamed on an HDTV was probably 10 years ago on an early Samsung 720P set. Since then I've mostly been on high refresh TN panels and a DLP projector I use sometimes.

The KU6300, for sure, looks better than what I've tried before in terms of the overall look of the picture (detail, color, etc.). I didn't notice much lag either, it felt really responsive in Game Mode.

That said, I did check out a number of other TVs in the store, and most of them did look better. Especially the LG OLED sets, which blew this away. But they also blew away the price as well, costing several thousand dollars.

Maybe you have excessive expectations. This is a $500 TV, and if you compare it to other options (either TVs or monitors) in this size and price, it's a huge win.

Last edited:
If you jump up in quality range, you'll get much better, no need to be a genius to understand that.

Thats not at all a certainty. Often you can jump up in price and all you get are tons of TV features, apps, smart-functions etc that you have absolutely no use for when using it as a PC monitor. You could get the exact same experience from a 500$ TV than you would from a 1000$ TV. That is why we need to discuss them here in a forum on how they perform as a PC monitor. What they sell in the shops are TV's but we intend to use them very differently.

I really appreciate the inputs on these sets and I keep wondering if I AT ALL will notice a difference going from KU to KS because HDR is only a feature for TV app streaming and has no effect on PC usage - or? That is a big question...

The ghost trailing of text sounds really worrying to me and is a very valuable input.

If you have an HH Gregg around you can get this TV for around ~$400.00 with promo code LABORDAY. Don't forget to add your taxes but for me it is only $32 so cheaper than Amazon and I can pickup 2 miles away.

I really appreciate the inputs on these sets and I keep wondering if I AT ALL will notice a difference going from KU to KS because HDR is only a feature for TV app streaming and has no effect on PC usage - or? That is a big question...

yes, the KS is much better at handling motion than the KU. For me, the KU would be fine for productivity and media, with some light gaming. source: I had both. The KS can do it all. Too bad they don't have a 40" model of the KS.

yes, the KS is much better at handling motion than the KU. For me, the KU would be fine for productivity and media, with some light gaming. source: I had both. The KS can do it all. Too bad they don't have a 40" model of the KS.

I went from a 40" JU7100 to a 49" KS8000 and my first reservation was the size difference. I've been using the KS for about two days now and am really liking it. I don't even feel like I had to get used to the size difference, it just worked for me. I haven't made my final decision on it, but so far its looking like a keeper.

I went from a 40" JU7100 to a 49" KS8000 and my first reservation was the size difference. I've been using the KS for about two days now and am really liking it. I don't even feel like I had to get used to the size difference, it just worked for me. I haven't made my final decision on it, but so far its looking like a keeper.

I'm glad it's worked out for you. The 49" KS8000 really is a gorgeous set that I can honestly say I WANTED to keep. Unfortunately my office space is too small so it really is a tanning bed in my face. Personally, the gaming experience was less immersive for me as objects are just magnified and not adjusted for your FOV. Movies and everything else though, wow.

Thats not at all a certainty. Often you can jump up in price and all you get are tons of TV features, apps, smart-functions etc that you have absolutely no use for when using it as a PC monitor...

Touché, you're absolutely correct on that one. Paying more or going up in the model range does not at all necessarily imply better IQ. In fact, Rtings actively recommends the 6300 rather than the 7000, and if you want to go up in IQ they send you directly to the 8000.

For me, the KU would be fine for productivity and media, with some light gaming.

If I may, I'd mention that we don't all game equally. If you're playing twitch-reflex games like FPS and MOBAs, then sure, you'd be affected by the slower response. If you're playing Witcher, TR, Mirror's Edge, Shadow of Mordor, things like that... adventure games in general, you absolutely do not need super fast response and won't really notice much difference nor will it impact your gaming experience, at all. I get quite tired of people (I don't mean necessarily you, just in general) always recommending 144hz displays and amazing GTG models... if a consumer is just going to play slow-paced games like adventures. I've used 144hz displays and 60hz ones, and while I see a difference, I couldn't care less about 144hz as I'm playing Mass Effect, TR, Hitman, Assassin's Creed and the like. 60fps is plenty for those games, there's no disadvantage for me. Whenever I fire up the new Unreal Tournament though... well, there's a clear reason why I suck when playing online and I keep getting killed before I even notice there's someone there.

I don't know, I think the KU is fine for gaming. And I usually play on a 144Hz 1ms response time TN panel. Granted, for competitive online FPS, I'll probably still play on my high refresh monitor, since it's an advantage. But for most regular single-player titles, I think this Samsung is good enough.

I'm really finding it hard to see any trails or blurring while playing games (and I looked). Even on the desktop, the trailing is not super apparent in most cases. The times you can see it is when you're scrolling black text against a white background, but even then it's not a deal breaker. Just a little annoying.

The 40" is perfect for what I wanted, and for the size and space I could give it. When sitting at a comfortable distance, the image still looks huge and covers pretty much all of the front of my vision.

I do like Nvidia Surround, but when you take into account the bezels, and that you can't really see the edge of the outer monitors totally, I think a single larger screen might be more practical. Plus, 4K is widely supported in games whereas Surround can require mods/hacks and cause strange UI issues, etc.

So, yeah, overall I doubt I could be more happy with the purchase. Now, the only thing: the GTX 970 was seriously struggling, Like 15FPS is Crysis 3 performance. Not great. So I ordered a Titan X. Should be enough. Can't wait to try some recent games in 4K.

Looks like we are lucky in Europe, because we have a 43" KS7500, and according to this overview (Samsung's 2016 TV line-up - full overview - FlatpanelsHD) the only difference is twin-tuner (non-issue) and speakers (also non-issue if you use headset). I hope the difference really is only that compared to the KS8000, because I hate to be forced into only 49" if I want a KS model. 43" is much more my prefference.

It IS about 50% more expensive than the 43" KU model, but it sounds from people like it is money well spend.

Back