Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

djfunz

Limp Gawd
Wondering what everyone thinks of using the UN40KU6300 as a monitor. I'm going to be upgrading to the GTX 1080 and wanted to pair a 4k monitor that's at least 32". Unfortunately, I'm not seeing reviews for this television used as a monitor for gaming.

Do you think input lag would be an issue?

Will the refresh rate or the lack of G-Sync be an issue?

Last edited:
Sounds as though you might be in a similar situation as myself. I am going to be moving to a GTX 1080 and am wanting a 4k display to go with it. I've been wondering about a 4k tv as a display but have some of the concerns you mentioned.

I have a friend which has the Acer Predator XB321HK and I must admit that it looks fantastic. It's just really expensive though, however I do notice a HUGE difference with G-SYNC enabled on it. It's only a 60hz refresh but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like a 120hz+ when enabled. My wife is giving me the green light on it if I want but am not sure. I've also been wondering about the 34" Ultra Widescreen from Asus that recently released. I'm just not sure if 21:9 is worth it.

I mean I know a lot more games support it but I don't know if I personally like it. In answering one of your questions, yes, I believe that no G-Sync is an issue if you don't have a display capable of a higher refresh rate.

Here is some great info....

"Almost all the resolutions that we have tested are supported on this TV, the only exception was 1080p@120Hz, but that was to be expected for a Samsung TV. For sharper text 4:4:4 you must set the input type to 'PC'. For 4K@60Hz@4:4:4 you must enable UHD mode."

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: Yes
1080p @ 120Hz: No
4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4: Yes
4k @ 60Hz: Yes
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: Yes

Thanks jmilcher, I came across that page and wasn't too impressed with the other aspects of the television to be honest. The judder seems to be an issue when viewing movies. Also, according to the article, I inferred that G-SYNC and 120Hz aren't really needed to have a nice gaming experience. So, I'm wondering what all the fuss about it is for then?

Thanks jmilcher, I came across that page and wasn't too impressed with the other aspects of the television to be honest. The judder seems to be an issue when viewing movies. Also, according to the article, I inferred that G-SYNC and 120Hz aren't really needed to have a nice gaming experience. So, I'm wondering what all the fuss about it is for then?
Judder is the result of most Blu-ray movies running at 24 Hz. A lot of televisions just a couple of years ago actually supported 24 Hz for movie viewing, particularly in 3D televisions, but I've been noticing it less and less these days. 60 Hz isn't an even multiple of 24 so they try to compromise by using what is called 3:2 pulldown in 60 Hz to smooth out the image. They say it isn't noticeable, but you're eyes and brain are processing images much faster than the TV can display them and you will notice it as judder at some point.
Three-two pull down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

G-Sync and 120 Hz are definitely not needed to have a good experience, but they certainly enhance it. G-Sync and other variable refresh rate technologies take control of the display's scalar so that images are only displayed when they are ready. In simple terms the refresh rate changes based on the framerate of the game being played within certain limits. By doing so image tear and judder is reduced to nearly non-existent with minimal impact on input lag. A static 120 Hz refresh rate just enables the display to present images faster, and doing so improves perceived motion and input lag.

They're horrifically blurry. I had one for a few days and returned it because I'd get really bad headaches after using it for more than 15, 20 minutes at a time.

Do not get it. It's completely worthless as a monitor. It's unfortunate, because the price was right, the size and contrast / color quality was good, and the input lag was fairly low (for a 4K TV). The blur was a total deal-breaker, though.

Supposedly the 6700 has better response time (I think Kyle uses one of them? Someone on [H] staff) but I didn't get a chance to try it.

EDIT: I think I had a JU6300, not KU. Not sure of the model difference. That said I certainly wouldn't get any TV with intent to use it as a monitor unless you can return it easily, locally. In other words -- Best Buy, HH Gregg and the like.

Last edited:
They're horrifically blurry. I had one for a few days and returned it because I'd get really bad headaches after using it for more than 15, 20 minutes at a time.

Do not get it. It's completely worthless as a monitor. It's unfortunate, because the price was right, the size and contrast / color quality was good, and the input lag was fairly low (for a 4K TV). The blur was a total deal-breaker, though.

Supposedly the 6700 has better response time (I think Kyle uses one of them? Someone on [H] staff) but I didn't get a chance to try it.

EDIT: I think I had a JU6300, not KU. Not sure of the model difference. That said I certainly wouldn't get any TV with intent to use it as a monitor unless you can return it easily, locally. In other words -- Best Buy, HH Gregg and the like.

The KU6300 just came out and the JU6300 is a Chinese model. Possibly you tried the JU6400, which was the cheapest 2015 model and the only one not to support PCs, which you would have known before buying if you had checked rtings.com.

The KU6300 just came out and the JU6300 is a Chinese model. Possibly you tried the JU6400, which was the cheapest 2015 model and the only one not to support PCs, which you would have known before buying if you had checked rtings.com.

It supported them fine, whatever I had. Full 4:4:4 chroma at 60Hz no issues apart from the blur.

Thanks for assuming I have no idea what I'm talking about because I can't remember the model number of a TV I had for 2 or 3 days 8 months ago.

My advice stands -- don't buy any TV for PC use unless you can return it easily, locally, at no cost to you. Period.

Thanks for the heads up silent-circuit. Obviously I'm skeptical that a great 40" 4k display could be had for around $500. It's looking like what I'm looking for is realistically going to set me back about $1000. The Samsung JU7500 television is tempting based on the ratings, but again, over $1000. The BenQ BL3201PH is also very attractive, but also around $1000. Whether it's a monitor or a television that will occupy my desk remains to be seen, but I don't have my 1080 yet, so there's still some time.

JU6400 2015 does not support 4K 4:4:4@60hz. I did have the 2015 JU6700 which does support 4K 4:4:4 @60Hz but it does have a bit of motion blur. it also depends on how sensitive you are to PWM. I exchange it for a JU7500 (higher panel refresh but still only 4K@60hz) and I'm really happy with it. Spend a bit more for for a KU7000 and you should be happy.

Last edited:
Using this right now and TBH the input lag is atrocious. Im going to have to return it because I just cannot play games like league on it.

Have you tried switching to the PC input or Game Mode?

I have the input from my PC in PC mode. Game Mode I tried with my Xbox One and PS4 and it feels really weird. But I did figure out why text felt so blurry. Windows scaled everything up automatically, gave me a huge headache. Scaled it down and it looks fine now. Still cant manage to play games like League on it though.

My friend actually has this same display and it's pretty amazing. Very very low input lag. 18ms? Display is beautiful for desktop / games and content creation.

I am very seriously looking at the 49" Samsung KS8000, Found it for $1,149 tax free / free shipping.

My friend actually has this same display and it's pretty amazing. Very very low input lag. 18ms? Display is beautiful for desktop / games and content creation.

I am very seriously looking at the 49" Samsung KS8000, Found it for $1,149 tax free / free shipping.

I am trying to find the JU7500 from last year. The KS8000 looks great just not looking for anything bigger than 43".

I am trying to find the JU7500 from last year. The KS8000 looks great just not looking for anything bigger than 43".

I think the difference between the 43" and the 49" is literally 5+ inches but it could be your breaking point.

I think the difference between the 43" and the 49" is literally 5+ inches but it could be your breaking point.

It would be, 40" is really really stretching it for me. I sit about 4' away so 40" is really really stretching it.

I have the UN43KU6300 and I love it. Very low blur, fair response time of 38ms if I recall correctly. Playing some games gets some bad clipping if vsync is off but it's nothing I can't forgive. Also very little calibration needed though if you buy one, just PM me and I'll send you a link to the ICC profile and the monitor settings you'd need.

I have the UN43KU6300 and I love it. Very low blur, fair response time of 38ms if I recall correctly. Playing some games gets some bad clipping if vsync is off but it's nothing I can't forgive. Also very little calibration needed though if you buy one, just PM me and I'll send you a link to the ICC profile and the monitor settings you'd need.

I have a crossover 404k I use as a monitor right now, I saw this TV for sale at frys for 497$ with no sales tax. I was wondering if it would be an upgrade. I believe the input lag is much better than mine but the response time might not be.

Also to the guy who said using a TV for a pc monitor is bad isn't doing it right. A 40" 4k has nearly the same ppi as a 27" 1440p display. The extra real estate is way more immersive imo. You just have to do a lot of research to get a TV with low input lag, response time, and 4:4:4 chroma.

I have a crossover 404k I use as a monitor right now, I saw this TV for sale at frys for 497$ with no sales tax. I was wondering if it would be an upgrade. I believe the input lag is much better than mine but the response time might not be.

Also to the guy who said using a TV for a pc monitor is bad isn't doing it right. A 40" 4k has nearly the same ppi as a 27" 1440p display. The extra real estate is way more immersive imo. You just have to do a lot of research to get a TV with low input lag, response time, and 4:4:4 chroma.

Versus a 404k it probably would not be an upgrade unless the pixel density bothers you. One issue I have which seems to be only related to Nvidia cards is that sometimes when I turn on my computer the tv won't find the signal and I have to either unplug it and replug it or change the TV out of 4:4:4 chroma mode, then the computer will recognize the monitor, then I can turn 4:4:4 mode back on. Kind of annoying but it's only when my computer wakes up from being completely off versus coming out of hibernate or standby.

According to rtings, response time is 18.7ms and input lag is 36.9ms in PC mode.

The pixel densities are identical. I was more thinking about input lag and response time. I believe the 6300 has way better input lag. Not sure on response time tho.

My advice stands -- don't buy any TV for PC use unless you can return it easily, locally, at no cost to you. Period.

I second this advice. Especially if its something that costs close to over over $1000. Just too much of a loss to take if you get a bad display for PC use.

I'm running a KS8500 (which is the curved version of the KS8000) and it's really good. I'm not going to lie and say that it's the best thing out there, but its pretty damn good. For PC gaming the input lag is very good and I don't feel any different playing games on it vs. a normal PC monitor. (can't really say for gaming monitors as I haven't owned one with 120Hz or G-Sync.)

If you're going to be using it as multi purpose for streaming TV through the usual sources (Netflix, Amazon, etc.), console gaming and PC gaming then I think this TV does all that quite nicely. I had tried out a Sony X850D before I got this one. Stay away from that. While "greyish blacks" may be ok for IPS screens at 27" or so, it looks horrible on 55" (that's the size I got), the Samsung KS8000/KS8500 doesn't display perfect black like OLEDs, but still very good.

The pixel densities are identical. I was more thinking about input lag and response time. I believe the 6300 has way better input lag. Not sure on response time tho.

Sorry, i thought you were referencing mine. I have the 43" which is going to be slightly lower pixel density vs your 40". I already have to scale some stuff up at 43" but at the same time, any bigger and i'd be turning my head left and right to see everything which some people might not mind but it isn't my particular cup of tea. In a perfect world I'd have gotten a curved 43" but I only paid $550 for my TV so I really can't complain.

Sorry, i thought you were referencing mine. I have the 43" which is going to be slightly lower pixel density vs your 40". I already have to scale some stuff up at 43" but at the same time, any bigger and i'd be turning my head left and right to see everything which some people might not mind but it isn't my particular cup of tea. In a perfect world I'd have gotten a curved 43" but I only paid $550 for my TV so I really can't complain.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the ku6300, was $447 on Amazon and input lag is reported around 16-19ms which is acceptable. I will probably start a thread about my impressions.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the ku6300, was $447 on Amazon and input lag is reported around 16-19ms which is acceptable. I will probably start a thread about my impressions.

I did a custom calibration using my Colormunki Display. If you want to try it, here's the settings:

To get balanced whitepoint:

Backlight - 20
Brightness - 44
Contrast - 100
ColorTone - Warm2
Gamma - 0

ICC profile:
ICC Profile Samsung - SAMSUNG

I'm trying to decide between the 43" version of this or the 49" Microboard I was talking about in another thread here. Tough decision.... I like that this Samsung has extremely low pixel response time (so blur and smearing should be minimal) and also extremely low input lag.

Thanks I'll give it a whirl, any other tips like initial setup on the TV? What port to use etc...

Not really. You can't do game mode and UHD color at the same time though that only changes the input latency by about 10ms IIRC. Also if you turn on the computer and tv but you get no signal, go into the tv settings and turn off UHD color and then turn it back on. That's what fixes it for me. They just came out with another firmware update this morning though I didn't have time to test whether it fixes the issue yet. For some reason, on my computer, coming out of standby or hibernate I don't have the no signal problem. If your current monitor is plugged in via displayport you'll obviously need an 18gbps HDMI cable. I'm still kicking around the idea of trying a "certified" hdmi cable vs the amazon basics 18gbps cable to see if it fixes the no signal issue but I'm really pretty sure it's an nvidia problem given what i'm reading on the geforce forums.

Not sure if you have another 4k tv in the house but you have to try out some 4k netflix using the built in TV app. Watched Narcos in 4k and it was fucking awesome. Tried to watch Marco Polo because it has HDR but I couldn't deal with the shaky cam.

Not really. You can't do game mode and UHD color at the same time though that only changes the input latency by about 10ms IIRC. Also if you turn on the computer and tv but you get no signal, go into the tv settings and turn off UHD color and then turn it back on. That's what fixes it for me. They just came out with another firmware update this morning though I didn't have time to test whether it fixes the issue yet. For some reason, on my computer, coming out of standby or hibernate I don't have the no signal problem. If your current monitor is plugged in via displayport you'll obviously need an 18gbps HDMI cable. I'm still kicking around the idea of trying a "certified" hdmi cable vs the amazon basics 18gbps cable to see if it fixes the no signal issue but I'm really pretty sure it's an nvidia problem given what i'm reading on the geforce forums.

Not sure if you have another 4k tv in the house but you have to try out some 4k netflix using the built in TV app. Watched Narcos in 4k and it was fucking awesome. Tried to watch Marco Polo because it has HDR but I couldn't deal with the shaky cam.
What is the uhd color mode? HDR?

Looking forward to hearing what your experience is like. I've been eyeing this TV for PC and gaming for a while now.

Looking forward to hearing what your experience is like. I've been eyeing this TV for PC and gaming for a while now.

Short review so far, it's slightly better than the crossover 404k. In game mode the input lag is incredibly fast for something this big. It is only slightly slower than a TN panel I have right next to it. However, game mode bumps the panel down to 4:2:2 chroma. With some fiddling with the picture settings I can make this mode indistinguishable from 4:4:4 chroma except for test pages, at least when gaming. In 4:4:4 chroma input lag is similar to the 404k, I cannot tell which is faster side by side. It's is perfectly playable but I probably am going to bump it into game mode when playing shooters. One important thing for me that really sets this apart from the crossover is that it lacks the wierd interlacing phenomenon with motion on the screen. For some reason on the crossover you can faintly see black scan lines on the periphery of your vision with lots of motion on the screen. The Samsung doesn't have this issue. Color wise they are very similar with similar viewing angles. The Samsung edges the crossover 44k out slightly for me with more consistent back light levels and gray level uniformity, particularly toward the edges of the screen. The Samsung does not have a displayport so I had to use hdmi 2.0. From an aesthetic perspective the crossover comes out on top with much smaller bezels and no logos on the front. Glare is very similar between these two models.

Final Conclusions:

I think it is a great option if you are looking for an entry level 40" 4k monitor for Gaming. Input lag is good enough for all but the most hardcore competitive fps/twitch gaming. At $447 shipped on the zon at the time I purchased it's great on the wallet too.

Last edited:
Short review so far, it's slightly better than the crossover 404k. In game mode the input lag is incredibly fast for something this big. It is only slightly slower than a TN panel I have right next to it. However, game mode bumps the panel down to 4:2:2 chroma. With some fiddling with the picture settings I can make this mode indistinguishable from 4:4:4 chroma except for test pages, at least when gaming. In 4:4:4 chroma input lag is similar to the 404k, I cannot tell which is faster side by side. It's is perfectly playable but I probably am going to bump it into game mode when playing shooters. One important thing for me that really sets this apart from the crossover is that it lacks the wierd interlacing phenomenon with motion on the screen. For some reason on the crossover you can faintly see black scan lines on the periphery of your vision with lots of motion on the screen. The Samsung doesn't have this issue. Color wise they are very similar with similar viewing angles. The Samsung edges the crossover 44k out slightly for me with more consistent back light levels and gray level uniformity, particularly toward the edges of the screen. The Samsung does not have a displayport so I had to use hdmi 2.0. From an aesthetic perspective the crossover comes out on top with much smaller bezels and no logos on the front. Glare is very similar between these two models.

Final Conclusions:

I think it is a great option if you are looking for an entry level 40" 4k monitor for Gaming. Input lag is good enough for all but the most hardcore competitive fps/twitch gaming. At $447 shipped on the zon at the time I purchased it's great on the wallet too.

Great review. What kind of vidcard do you have? Do you have any issues with your computer not finding the monitor when you start from a cold boot?

Great review. What kind of vidcard do you have? Do you have any issues with your computer not finding the monitor when you start from a cold boot?

I'm rocking a core [email protected], x2 gigabyte oc 980ti's in sli, 32gb of ddr3 2400.

From a cold boot or sleep mode the TV will not automatically power up, I need to turn it on manually. The crossover 44k behaves as normal. I moved the crossover over to my wife's rig. I'll post pics of both of our setups when I get the Samsung mounted on the wall. Oh, speaking of mounts, both have really crappy stands, I rank the crossovers higher just cause it has a smaller footprint and is made of metal. Both tvs will wobble on their stands.

I'm rocking a core [email protected], x2 gigabyte oc 980ti's in sli, 32gb of ddr3 2400.

From a cold boot or sleep mode the TV will not automatically power up, I need to turn it on manually. The crossover 44k behaves as normal. I moved the crossover over to my wife's rig. I'll post pics of both of our setups when I get the Samsung mounted on the wall. Oh, speaking of mounts, both have really crappy stands, I rank the crossovers higher just cause it has a smaller footprint and is made of metal. Both tvs will wobble on their stands.

But if you turn on the TV, then turn on the computer, everything goes as normal? I have the same tv and i get signal up until I login. Then instead of showing the desktop it goes black and says "no signal". I have to turn of the UHD color mode on the monitor then turn it back on and I'll get signal. Either that or unplug and replug :( I also am running a 980Ti. Maybe it's my cable... what kind of HDMI cable are you using?

But if you turn on the TV, then turn on the computer, everything goes as normal? I have the same tv and i get signal up until I login. Then instead of showing the desktop it goes black and says "no signal". I have to turn of the UHD color mode on the monitor then turn it back on and I'll get signal. Either that or unplug and replug :( I also am running a 980Ti. Maybe it's my cable... what kind of HDMI cable are you using?
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 15 Feet (Latest Standard) Amazon.com: AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 15 Feet (Latest Standard): Home Audio & Theater

Yeah as soon as it gets a signal it shows up, maybe it has something to do with your pc switching resolutions from the bios screen. Dunno.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you tried just waiting till the pc gets to the login screen before turning on the TV?

Unfortunately i have tried basically everything. There's 5 different threads on the Geforce forums about it so I'm not the only one... I usually hibernate my PC so I can use WOL so it only effects me like once a week when I actually reboot so it's not that big of a deal. It's just a minor annoyance.

This is great, thanks for sharing. What are your thoughts on the monitor for other computing e.g. productivity apps, coding?

Back