Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

I'm planning on setting this up as a PC display via HDMI from a GTX 1070. Has anyone attempted portrait orientation on this TV? What were your results?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It needs to be 3840x2160 (not sure if that was a typo euskalzabe ) AND 60Hz. I've had it set to 50Hz by accident and I'm not sure why.

I also had some issues setting it up initially, and I think it helped to switch between different color modes (such as 4:2:0 or 4:2:2) and then unplug the HDMI cable briefly. Not sure why that helped, but it did.

Also, feel free to do a factory reset of the settings if all else fails and start from the beginning. I think you can get it working. It look me a while, but everything is great now (except for one bug I'm dealing with, will post in a second).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It needs to be 3840x2160 (not sure if that was a typo euskalzabe )

Oooops, yeah, that was absolutely a typo, not sure how I even typed that. I meant 3840, yes.

Can someone take a picture of what a 'passing' result of this photo looks like on a proper 4:4:4 display?

http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png

No problem buddy! Here's 4:4:4 on my 1080p Samsung 40LNA550:

444_zpsslwxlncq.jpg

And here's what showed up when I switched to YCbCr 4:2:2:

422_zpsvlbmwrjn.jpg

Basically whichever color mode you're using is the number that'll pop out more, whether darker or lighter than the background - although the other number is always somewhat visible, just not as clear.

Personally I find this image easier to work with:

chroma-subsampling-test-4k-tv.png

If you're in 4:2:2, only the two last lines will be blurry while the rest is OK. Keep in mind you must display this at 1:1 (1 image pixel = 1 TV pixel), without scaling on Windows (AKA scaling at %100, no more) or anything, otherwise there may be artifacts and you'll never really know what color mode you're using. So, in a 4K screen, this image will look quite small.

Last edited:
So Streiw, did you ever figure out what was going on with your color mode on the RX 480? Did you manage to get 4:4:4 working?

Hi,

Been following this thread, waiting for black friday sale to purchase this tv

The only thing bugging me is nobody posted any close up pictures of text

Would somebody please be willing to take some close up pics of text @ 4:4:4 chroma with normall 100% DPI scaling, also would like to see the quick brown fox text close up

This would help a lot :)

Thanks in advance!

So Streiw, did you ever figure out what was going on with your color mode on the RX 480? Did you manage to get 4:4:4 working?

Nope. I'm beginning to think it's the RX 480, as a few Google queries have brought me to others' similar results.

Attachments

• bdhdhdh.jpg
    bdhdhdh.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 69
What kind of Juice are you guys running on this TV? 1080s?

Input Lag?

how far away do you sit, I think I am probably 3ft.

Anyone play high reaction games like League of Legends on this thing?

Also, can I game at 1080P and it look ok?

Last edited:
What kind of Juice are you guys running on this TV? 1080s?

Input Lag?

how far away do you sit, I think I am probably 3ft.

Anyone play high reaction games like League of Legends on this thing?

Also, can I game at 1080P and it look ok?

single 980Ti; most games a couple years old or older run 60fps max settings. newer "graphic hogs" i turn off AA and hit 50-60. really demanding titles (Witcher 3, GTA V, ect) i turn off AA and lower shadow settings and get 40-50. knock down another setting a notch and maintain 60.

i haven't played any multiplayer "twitch" shooters on this yet, but i used to play a lot of Black Ops 2 on a Korean 1440 IPS. this has lower input lag. if you use "game mode" it is around 19ms which is very good. i leave it in "PC mode" (34ms) even when gaming to keep the 4:4:4 UHD color and i haven't noticed lag.

i haven't touched 1080p, can't comment on how games look.

Ive been using this display for prob 2 months now and the ghosting is really starting to get to me. Black to white pixel response is extremely slow and I didnt notice it before but now its all I see. Scrolling this forum looks horrible. X34P is back on my mind now.

Would somebody please be willing to take some close up pics of text @ 4:4:4 chroma with normall 100% DPI scaling, also would like to see the quick brown fox text close up
I did do the brown fox test with 4:4:4 and can confirm that the last two lines and everything looked fine. You can only do that on HDMI 1, and I have my PC on HDMI 2 now and I don't feel up to redoing all my settings just to take a picture. But it works.

What kind of Juice are you guys running on this TV?
I'm using a Titan XP now, which most people think is overkill but is almost needed for certain games (like the new Deus Ex for example). Previously I was using a 970 and could actually get some older or lower-end games to run at 4K60. The new Battlefield is pretty well optimized and I'm getting around 90FPS at 4K Ultra settings. I bet a GTX 1080 would be able to max it at 4K.

Lag is not bad. Still more than a good monitor but acceptable. My other machine is running a 144Hz display, so going to a 60Hz panel was a bit of a jump but it's still playable. I tried some online shooters and it was not too bad lag-wise (though still obviously worse than a high-refresh TN).

I got the set mostly for single player games and movies, and for that it works well. Certainly more than enough for some console gaming and entertainment.

Running lower resolution is possible, I've tried 1440P and 1080P. As expected, the image becomes soft due to the scaling. The scaling is decent overall and playable, though obviously not the full 4K glory at native resolution.

You also have the option of running custom ultra-wide resolution, so you can have a virtual 21:9 screen for example. This reduces pixel count by a decent amount (so improved performance) and still looks great. I used this on Deus Ex to get better framerates.

Hi,

Been following this thread, waiting for black friday sale to purchase this tv

The only thing bugging me is nobody posted any close up pictures of text

This would help a lot :)

Thanks in advance!

Here you go, photo taken with iPhone 7, 0 scaling:
TQpu3uV.jpg

Thanks so much for that! looks really good, for the price I think ill take the chance and live with the ghosting problem i am hearing about when scrolling webpages

Thanks so much for that! looks really good, for the price I think ill take the chance and live with the ghosting problem i am hearing about when scrolling webpages

i'm using the setting recommended on page 1 or 2 of this thread along with the ICC profile and i don't notice any ghosting.

Only 3 days for the Samsung BF discounts to kick in... I'm trying some crazy things just for fun. If the 29" ultrawides get dirt cheap, I could reuse my old 22" 1080p monitor and do something like this:

22inchWidescreenAtLeft_AND_29inchUltraWidescreenAtRight.JPG

But the idea of just 4K still wins out for me. Then again, I could always pair the 40" with the 22", though that seems a bit crazy. Had to try it with my current 40" 1080p though:

BRFEiIr.jpg

:D THAT. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

Anyone have any ideas about the 4:4:4 chroma problem? I need that glory in my life. :oops:

Indeed. Go to Costco Black Friday deals page, click on "Starts November 18" and there is a Samsung 40” 4K TV a little bit down the page for $289.99. Model isn't listed but by the picture definitely seems to be KU6300 or KU6290.

I just picked up the 6290 from my local Costco for $290. Ad says that it is OOS but they had 8 or 9 when I grabbed mine.

I just picked up the 6290 from my local Costco for $290. Ad says that it is OOS but they had 8 or 9 when I grabbed mine.

Awesome! Could you comment on build quality and/or post a couple pictures of it functioning?

I have read a in a few places that the 6290 is a "cheaper made" version of the 6300 but I doubt this is how manufacturing works. Most likely, it's cheaper for Samsung to build them exactly the same (economy of scale!) and just remove the bluetooth and smart remote to justify the 6300 being more expensive. Wouldn't even surprise me if the BT chip is inside the 6290, if it's soldered on the motherboard of the TV, and simply disabled.

The 40KU6290 for $300 is more appealing than 40KU6300 for $350 when BF discounts kick in this Sunday.

6290 does come with the Smart Remote and the build quality is great. I can't get over how great this display is for the price.

Huh. Then there's 0 difference between 6290 and 6300, other than bluetooth. And economies of scale suggest the BT chip is soldered and still present but disabled on the 6290. It'd be awesome if somebody activated the engineering menu and changed the TV model to see what changes. 9 years ago when I bought my current 40A550, changing the model number would give you access to some features. Again, economy of scale: make X compatible with a whole lineup and disable as necessary. Kind of what GPU makers do with, say, GTX 1080s that "become" 1070s after disabling faulty areas :)

Binning FTW!

The Bluetooth is really great if you want to use wireless headphones and have multiple input sources.

For example, I have a PC, a PS4 Pro and an UHD BD player all connected to the TV and I can switch sources without taking off the headphones and everything works. Previously I had a wireless USB headset, that would work on both PC and PS4 though I'd have to switch the dongle any time I wanted to play. And the UHD player I got only does HDMI audio so there was no way to get sound out of it without plugging in a wired headset directly to the TV. I guess if you are only using one source you could do without the Bluetooth, but it's really convenient. And, of course, if you want to use smart tv features on the TV then you have the same issue. Unless you're OK with the TV speakers. They are honestly not that bad (for a TV) but I like to keep things low-key and not wake the neighbors every time I watch a movie.

6290 does come with the Smart Remote and the build quality is great. I can't get over how great this display is for the price.
Yep it's a great screen. Apparently it uses PWM dimming for backlight level below 12 so be aware of that if you are sensitive to the subtle flicker that will induce. I had to return mine because I was just sitting too damn close to that enormous screen (at 1m). Good for gaming, not so much for productivity.

One thing I love about this TV is that black screens (for example, if you set a blank screensaver) are actually black. No backlight bleed like you see on normal LCD monitors. It also does this in movies on black screens, pretty cool.

Tell me how to get into that menu and I will give it a shot.

I don't really know the code for this TV, but I'll hunt around online to see if I find it. Then again until I buy mine I won't be able to corroborate any codes. When I've done this in the past, I've had to try several codes until I've succeeded.

EDIT: you may want to give the codes in this page a try - http://factory-reset.com/wiki/Samsung_Service_Menu

Last edited:
You guys get all the insane offers in the USA :( Nothing in Europe remotely close to the sub-$300 you mention. Haven't seen a KU6300 equivalent (KU6000 in Europe) for sub-450€.

Yep it's a great screen. Apparently it uses PWM dimming for backlight level below 12 so be aware of that if you are sensitive to the subtle flicker that will induce. I had to return mine because I was just sitting too damn close to that enormous screen (at 1m). Good for gaming, not so much for productivity.
Is it 12 out of 100? How bright is the backlight lvl at around 12?

About 1080p upscaling:

How is 1080p gaming on KU6300/6290? I've read it softens the image, but how bad it is vs a similar sized TV with native 1080p resolution, sitting at close range (35" or so)? Currently i'm gaming on a 1080p 32" Sony TV at about 25 inch away from it and i'm fine with the image, though it could be a bit more sharper.

Also, does the 1080p->4k upscaling introduces any notable input lag on this model? I have a nvidia video card, should i let it do the upscaling, or the TV?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is it 12 out of 100? How bright is the backlight lvl at around 12?

About 1080p upscaling:

How is 1080p gaming on KU6300/6290? I've read it softens the image, but how bad it is vs a similar sized TV with native 1080p resolution, sitting at close range (35" or so)? Currently i'm gaming on a 1080p 32" Sony TV at about 25 inch away from it and i'm fine with the image, though it could be a bit more sharper.

Also, does the 1080p->4k upscaling introduces any notable input lag on this model? I have a nvidia video card, should i let it do the upscaling, or the TV?

Thanks!

Backlight on the 6290 goes to 20, anything higher than 14 for me is very bright. I am above the PWM threshold so that is good.

1080P still looks good on this set. Of course, it does look a bit softer but honestly it doesn't look bad.

Just played a level of DOOM at 1080P and it was more than playable and enjoyable.

I think I prefer the scaling on the TV than the GPU (Nvidia) but maybe there is not a huge difference.

Yes backlight setting is out of 20. I'm not sure where I got the PWM at < 12 info but it seemed right at the time. You can adjust brightness separately so setting backlight to say 13 then lowering brightness to desired level might be best approach. I don't have my screen anymore so can't verify.

Last edited:
Wanted to thank everyone for posting all this info. I purchased the KU6290 yesterday at Costco and so far so good. My rig is for desktop productivity: coding, spreadsheets, graphs, etc; not gaming. I followed quite a bit of the advice everyone posted here, and my only problem was getting 4:4:4 chroma. The issue was a refresh rate of 29Hz. When switched to 30Hz the screen magically transformed to a new level of beautiful with full 4:4:4 chroma, 3840x2160, at 30Hz.

I am using a Sapphire HD 7750 1 gig ddr5 card to drive it through a Rosewill Pro-10 hdmi cable, so 30Hz is max. I've had no issues with response time or ghosting. This card is also driving a 1920x1200 monitor through dvi at the same time with no problems.

Fwiw, this is how I got mine working properly; go to the Windows 10 display control panel's "advanced display settings" to set the resolution, and then to the "Display adapter properties" monitor tab to change the refresh rate. The chroma had to be set in the AMD Radeon settings app: preferences: radeon additional settings: pixel format.

On the monitor/tv I have it set to PC on hdmi 1 with UHD color enabled from the Expert Picture settings.

Actually the first thing I did was temporarily plug the tv into ethernet and update the firmware (not sure if anyone has discussed this so far).

On the monitor/tv I have it set to PC on hdmi 1 with UHD color enabled from the Expert Picture settings.

Quick question - since you're using the TV as a monitor, can you check if you can enable the HDR+ color mode? I'm just curious to see if it works when displaying the PC signal.

It should show up in the Picture menu under Special Viewing Mode:
Samsung_HDR_Update_2.jpg

Should offer you this mode:
topic_hdr_05_2.jpg

Then again, you might NOT be able to even check this since you have an older, non-HDMI2 GPU. I'm on the same boat with my GTX770, so I won't be able to check that (or use 4K at 60hz) until I buy a 1060 in a few months...

I tried the HDR+ mode before. I'm not sure what it was supposed to do, but it made everything look like it had that hipster Instagram filter on it.

Yes, I tested it with an UHD Blu-Ray player and UHD color enabled with The Revenant and Jupiter Ascending, both HDR discs.

I could see some people liking the effect, but I thought it made the colors too washed out and/or muted.

That makes sense. It switched to the wider colorspace that HDR wants to use, but since the KU6300 panel doesn't cover DCI P3, suddenly it looks muted. It probably looks a bit dimmer too, as it's sending a signal that expects to be displayed up to 1000nits, not up to the 460nits the KU6300 displays.

AKA - pseudo HDR :)

As long as it displays good SDR though, who cares! HDR is going to be a mess until we get panels that can switch each individual pixel off.

While we're talking about HDR specifics, I found this the other day after watching that Youtube HDR inauguration playlist:

http://www.mysterybox.us/blog/2016/10/18/hdr-video-part-1-what-is-hdr-video

Mystery box are the people who did "The world in HDR" video, 1st on that Youtube playlist, and it's quite cool. They explain a lot of the theory in a 5 post series. If you like technical details, it's quite the interesting read.

Last edited:
Back