Samsung UN40KU6300 40-Inch 4K

first, what in the heck are you playing that you can't get acceptable fps from a 1080?

from someone that has been gaming non-stop on this screen and a single OC'd 980Ti... turn AA off...... that will give you 10-15 fps in just about every game. the pixel density on a 4k 40" screen is so much that AA isn't even needed in most games. next step if that doesn't net you the avg fps you want, turn shadows down a notch. that is the next big fps killer in most modern games.

turning a couple settings down and maintaining 4k resolution will still look 100x better than keeping those settings maxed and playing at 1080p...

Playing WatchDogs 2 or BF1 gives me noticeably lower frame rates at 4K resolution. Sure, I could turn down the settings and maybe make a game playable but why not keep all of the settings turned on and just lower the resolution a notch? I find that 2560x1440 looks quite good. Like I said, the TV will do 60Hz at 2560x1440 while in PC or HDMI1 mode but when I switch to Game Console mode, it automatically drops the refresh to 30Hz.

Is there another way to enable Game Mode than switching the input to Game Console?

It's likely the additional interpolation or upconverting required to go from 2560x1440 to display on 4K. Higher lag too likely. 1080P to 4K is fine as it's just quadrupling the pixels which can do 60Hz.
Time to overclock your GTX1080 a bit perhaps. I'm running an OC'ed GTX1080 and BF1 is gorgeous at 4K at High mode keeping it consistently higher than 60FPS. It's fine even at Ultra but it would occasionally drop below 60FPS depending on map. I personally don't really notice too much of a picture quality difference going to Ultra mode really, especially at 4K.

Playing WatchDogs 2 or BF1 gives me noticeably lower frame rates at 4K resolution. Sure, I could turn down the settings and maybe make a game playable but why not keep all of the settings turned on and just lower the resolution a notch? I find that 2560x1440 looks quite good. Like I said, the TV will do 60Hz at 2560x1440 while in PC or HDMI1 mode but when I switch to Game Console mode, it automatically drops the refresh to 30Hz.

Is there another way to enable Game Mode than switching the input to Game Console?

the 960M is not an HDMI 2.0 card. to get 4k@60hz you need HDMI 2.0 because of the high bandwidth.

edit:

it is possible to get 4k/60hz from Display port 1.2 (which the 960m has). you need an active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter. like this one https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displ...ie=UTF8&qid=1482072782&sr=8-2&keywords=club3d

these adapters are hit or miss for some people

i'm running mine at 4k 60hz on HD 7770 4:4:4 with this adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0BWR2K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
kraken0698 You can definitely run any resolution you want to up to 2160P60. However, I had some initial problems getting lower resolutions to work. For some reason lower res was running at 50Hz or not working at all.

I did eventually get it working, though I'm not 100% sure what I changed. My settings now in Nvidia are with 32-bit color depth, 8 bpc, YCbCr420, and dynamic range Limited (it's grayed out though).

I think those are the correct settings for PC Game Mode. Now I have done 1080P60, 1440P60, as well as custom resolutions with no problem.

Ok, after hammering out the PC vs Game Console sharpness issue what are the thoughts on HDMI black level and Output dynamic range (Nvidia)?

i originally had dynamic range at "full" and the TV HDMI black level on "low" or "auto". i discovered that this had adverse effects; in a Google spreadsheet with these settings when dragging the mouse and selecting data in a column the selected date was not highlighted in the normal light blue box. with the TV on "normal" the highlighted text looked as it should, but the screen looks like it has a slight grey filter covering it.

i've spent the last 30 minutes reading about Samsung TV's and the HDMI black level setting. it seems the "normal" setting is for 0-255 (which would be "full" dynamic range on PC). the "low" setting is for 16-235.

when using "full" dynamic range (0-255) on PC and "low" on the TV there is no separation in this image with 3 shades of black http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/67732
in this test using the same settings there is no difference in the first 11 shades of black http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

when using "full" and "normal" the image show's the shades of black correctly, but the "grey" looking filter washes out images.

if i change dynamic range on the PC to "limited" (16-235) and set the TV HDMI black level to "low" the image test appear correctly and the "grey" filter is gone, but the blacks aren't as deep as the previous settings.

i understand that most content (including games) is recorded using monitors calibrated for 16-235 range. what do you guys think about this? what are the pros/cons of using "limited" over "full"?

TIA

Ok, after hammering out the PC vs Game Console sharpness issue what are the thoughts on HDMI black level and Output dynamic range (Nvidia)?

i originally had dynamic range at "full" and the TV HDMI black level on "low" or "auto". i discovered that this had adverse effects; in a Google spreadsheet with these settings when dragging the mouse and selecting data in a column the selected date was not highlighted in the normal light blue box. with the TV on "normal" the highlighted text looked as it should, but the screen looks like it has a slight grey filter covering it.

i've spent the last 30 minutes reading about Samsung TV's and the HDMI black level setting. it seems the "normal" setting is for 0-255 (which would be "full" dynamic range on PC). the "low" setting is for 16-235.

when using "full" dynamic range (0-255) on PC and "low" on the TV there is no separation in this image with 3 shades of black http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/67732
in this test using the same settings there is no difference in the first 11 shades of black http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

when using "full" and "normal" the image show's the shades of black correctly, but the "grey" looking filter washes out images.

if i change dynamic range on the PC to "limited" (16-235) and set the TV HDMI black level to "low" the image test appear correctly and the "grey" filter is gone, but the blacks aren't as deep as the previous settings.

i understand that most content (including games) is recorded using monitors calibrated for 16-235 range. what do you guys think about this? what are the pros/cons of using "limited" over "full"?

TIA

I just set mine to YCrBr and don't worry about it. This disables some setting on the TV and Nvidia panel and always has the right colors. The TV passes all of the white and black color tests perfectly. Video content shows black blacks and games are fine.

My RX 460 doesn't even let me change my color mode to YCbCr at all, it just keeps reverting back to RGB 4:4:4 full (which is actually 4:2:2) when I change it. None of the pixel format/color settings seem to make a difference.

kraken0698 You can definitely run any resolution you want to up to 2160P60. However, I had some initial problems getting lower resolutions to work. For some reason lower res was running at 50Hz or not working at all.

I did eventually get it working, though I'm not 100% sure what I changed. My settings now in Nvidia are with 32-bit color depth, 8 bpc, YCbCr420, and dynamic range Limited (it's grayed out though).

I think those are the correct settings for PC Game Mode. Now I have done 1080P60, 1440P60, as well as custom resolutions with no problem.

Ok, thanks for the info. I will mess around with my nvidia settings to see if I can get it to work.

I really like this screen. However, I am getting the retarded invisible system boxes or right click in chrome shortly after booting into windows on a 1080 as well. It doesn't happen right away but shortly after windows fully loads. Coming from a pretty much clean base image of win 10. I really don't understand the issue. It goes away if the display signal is interupted and comes back, such as reseating the connection or adjusting display setup in nv control panel. Anyone have an idea? I can replicate this now with 3 of these screens. It cant be a good thing to disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable everytime I turn the pc on.

There is zero trailing. The guy doesn't have his tv setup correctly.

This TV has ... excellent latency and an incredible PQ.

My friends PS4 Pro on this set looks absolutely amazing with zero issues.

My friends PS4 Pro on this set looks absolutely amazing with zero issues.

Now I'd like to know why HDMI 2 GPUs don't already output HDR image on Windows 10. It seems like the creator's update in March will turn this on, so there won't be much to wait. I hope everything's rendered in HDR10 signal then, though most likely it'll only be games and videos that accept the signal, while the desktop will remain tied to sRGB, stupidly...

Hi everyone,

I do not understand if you are in 4: 4: 4 or not. (UHD Color activate)

Changing sharpness, change the result

Sharpness 50 = 4:4:4 is visible

50 sharp.jpg

Sharpness 0 = 4:2:2 is visible

0 sharp.jpg

Hi everyone,

View attachment 13361

View attachment 13362

there is a bug in the PC settings where settings Sharpness to 50 is actually 0. so yes, for 4:4:4 you want Sharpness at 50 in PC mode. makes sure it is set to 0 for Game mode.

Has anyone else noticed this on a PS4 Pro?

When i try a HDR game like FF XV,the colors on my theme completely change. For example my red Resident Evil VII theme changes to kinda brown. That's not ok. I know that additionaly to luminance clipping,the TV should also somehow clip the extra colors since it does not support a wide color gamut. Point being that it should somehow keep the color fidelty of SDR if it can't display a WCG not change them.

Someone with a KS8000 should also test this so we can know wether HDR is more bad than good on this TV.

Whew what a thread.. Took me all day to read through it all. Fortunately not a busy day at work :)

I've got the UN40KU6290 with nVidia 1070.

I'm curious about the judder issue while watching movies. I'm running PC mode 4:4:4 @ 60Hz. It was mentioned in this thread that Auto Motion Plus with a custom setting of 3 or 4 solves this, but that it doesn't apply / work @ 60hz only @ 30hz. What do you guys do to resolve the judder issue while running 4k Youtube or whatever? Switch to a different display setting?

I haven't noticed any problems with PS4 Pro and themes with HDR games.
Would you please double check? It's blatantly obvious.

EDIT: Just to show that im not crazy,here are some pics. And yeah,it's that bad with red.

You can try for yourself,just select the PS4 "Flow" theme that has various colors.

First one is SDR,second one is HDR.

QCsczZh.jpg

XmZAQay.jpg

Hv387Nx.jpg

IckMLSv.jpg

Another thing i noticed is that in SDR mode,when using native color space,colors like red are unnaturaly saturated. When using HDR,there's barely any difference between custom and native.

I think this TV is suffering too much the lack of WCG. I hope someone with a KS can check if it's a bug of the PS4 menú when in HDR otherwise this TV's HDR function is useless if it wrecks color fidelty like this.

Last edited:
Do you have HDR+ enabled on the TV? You should have that turned Off (it's kind of just a bogus filter).

No. Have you tried to do the same on your TV? What's your result?
I'm sorry. You are correct. The colors in HDR mode are different for the PS4 interface.

I didn't notice before because my theme was a sort of grayish blue, so the difference wasn't apparent. But with the red flow theme, it's really obvious. Also, game icons and other GUI in the main PS4 bar are a little washed out after playing an HDR game.

Honestly not the end of the world for me, considering I hadn't even noticed this for weeks. But I can see how it would be annoying.

Hi everyone,

View attachment 13361

View attachment 13362

I checked your sharpness test and had the same result as you. 4:4:4 does stay quite visible though at both 0 and 100 in PC mode (with 50 as the default). If I switch nVidia control panel to 4:2:2 the "4:4:4" in ChromaRes image mostly disappears. I have found this test image MUST be scaled at 100% to give accurate feedback.

I run my text in Windows 10 at 100% scaling on this monitor, and the difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 is massive for desktop productivity type work. I find bumping up the font size within programs or zooming within programs typically gives a superior result if I need to enlarge something. I would return this monitor if only 4:2:2 was available. 60Hz versus 30Hz makes a much smaller difference to me. The difference there is quite noticeable mostly when scrolling or moving windows around the screen.

Fwiw, I don't notice any input lag; but my Fragathons are limited to minesweeper and tetravex on this monitor.

Would you please double check? It's blatantly obvious.

EDIT: Just to show that im not crazy,here are some pics. And yeah,it's that bad with red.

You can try for yourself,just select the PS4 "Flow" theme that has various colors.

First one is SDR,second one is HDR.

QCsczZh.jpg

XmZAQay.jpg

Hv387Nx.jpg

IckMLSv.jpg

Another thing i noticed is that in SDR mode,when using native color space,colors like red are unnaturaly saturated. When using HDR,there's barely any difference between custom and native.

I think this TV is suffering too much the lack of WCG. I hope someone with a KS can check if it's a bug of the PS4 menú when in HDR otherwise this TV's HDR function is useless if it wrecks color fidelty like this.

i imagine the issue here is that you are putting the TV in "HDR" mode playing the HDR game. when you hit the PS button to bring the menu up you are now introducing something that does not have HDR into the
"HDR" TV mode. to test and see if you are having this problem in the game, find an area/item/ect with what should be the same or similar color as the menu. screenshot it with HDR on and then do it again with HDR off. my bet is you will not have any color accuracy issues. it is just a matter of the TV processing an HDR signal for the game and then a non HDR item (the PS menu) is being introduced. this TV received very good reviews from Rtings after going through numerous tests for HDR, gradient handling, and color accuracy.

i will test my non Pro PS4 with FF15 as well.

So to follow up. I found the cause. It's the AI suite overlay that was causing all my issues. Guess I will resort to speed fan. Some reason my other system doesn't have this issue. Seems for z171 they posted the newer ai suite but not for x99.

Man, I was super excited I ordered one of these today but the ghosting posts have me a little worried. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have a LG 29UM58-P (LG 29in ultrawide) for comparison? I feel like my LG is at the upper limits of acceptable motion blur.

I've been getting this since Samsung changed my inputs board and power supply.

It's really weird,looks like some overdrive artifact,no idea if it was there before the CS intervent. It's very annoying with games in dark scenes,or just in general. It's even worse in person.

The video i used if anyone wants to try:

I'm assuming you're talking about the yellow trails. I'll check it out when I get home, but those trails from high contrast movement is where you are going to notice the worst effects of VA's slow pixels. I know on mine I get some trailing scrolling through black text. On content that isn't so stark it is far less noticeable.

I'm still waiting for that LCD that gives me VA contrast, with IPS colors and TN speed... Or for an option to disable ABL on OLEDs when in use as a PC monitor.

Those yellow trails are normal on this TV. I have them too on my 6290. You don't always notice them, but they're glaringly obvious when the image is black and white, as that's the biggest possible contrast change for these VA panels, thus showing the pixel slowness. Most likely you won't notice it that much out of B/W images. Unfinished Swan is pretty much a worse case scenario for VA panels.

Those yellow trails are normal on this TV. I have them too on my 6290. You don't always notice them, but they're glaringly obvious when the image is black and white, as that's the biggest possible contrast change for these VA panels, thus showing the pixel slowness. Most likely you won't notice it that much out of B/W images. Unfinished Swan is pretty much a worse case scenario for VA panels.
Ayy. Can anyone comment on those? I can't live with that. I actually used The Unfinished Swan gameplay because it's the easiest way to show the problem. I notice them on pretty much everything that has fast camera pan or movement. Most of time,yeah i don't notice it,but it's there. And that's not ok honestly.

You should not be ok with that. One thing are slow transitions,that translate into slow response time. You should only see trailing,not that disgusting yellow trailing. My panel is a Samsung one,it looks like Samsung's VA panels are crap.

That's actually pretty sad,Samsung is about the only Brand who makes their own panels. This thing it's literally the same as the problem with their new 144 Hz VA monitor,but with a different color. They get purple/blue ghosting and mine is yellow.

Anyhow i have already called Samsung support today,i will have a tech come see it and change the panel probably. Well'see how it goes,and you and anyone who has the same problem should do the same. I genuinely don't remember seeing any of this back when i first got it and it had a power issue,they fixed it in about November,i've noticed it since i started using it more for games with a PS4 Pro.

The Last Of Us,noticed it. Final Fantasy XV,noticed it especially because all of them have black clothes. Playing TW3 on PC,Geralt boots leave a yellow tone. So yeah,not exactly something i am willing to live with.

I actually used The Unfinished Swan gameplay because it's the easiest way to show the problem. I notice them on pretty much everything that has fast camera pan or movement. Most of time,yeah i don't notice it,but it's there. And that's not ok honestly.

That's not the easiest way to show the problem. That's the worst case scenario. Don't call that the regular performance of this TV. Most of the time it's effect is minimal, only with high contrast it's clearly noticeable (like, scrolling right here on Hardforum).

You should not be ok with that. One thing are slow transitions,that translate into slow response time. You should only see trailing,not that disgusting yellow trailing. My panel is a Samsung one,it looks like Samsung's VA panels are crap.

No, they are not crap. Welcome to VA panels. This is what they are, in varying degrees. It's not a question of being OK or not, that's how they behave, and they have other benefits VS other panels (for example, 5 times better contrast). If you can't live with trails, buy an IPS panel or a high-refresh one. I would also add that you won't find a 4K panel with 5000:1 contrast ratio for $300 anywhere else. If you want better VA panels, spend double the money. It's that easy. You can't buy budget and then complain that it doesn't perform like a $1K panel.

Anyhow i have already called Samsung support today,i will have a tech come see it and change the panel probably.

That tech will probably do nothing other than tell you your TV is functioning perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with it from what I've seen in the video, and neither TN/VA/IPS are bad: they just have different strong and weak points, so you have to buy knowing what you want and what bothers you. Don't blame the TV for making an incorrect purchase decision for your use and preferences. If you had checked online and done your research well, like, say, reading this whole thread, you would've known long ago that those trails are normal for these cheap 4K panels from Samsung. If that's a deal breaker, buy something else. That doesn't make the panel crap. Plenty people love it. I myself don't notice the trails %95 of the time and even when I do, I simply don't care.

OK, I've tested. Just eyeballing it, your trails might be a bit longer than mine... marginally, You might need to do some tuning to brightness/contrast to find the best balance for speed. I'm using settings from earlier in this thread that seem to be working out as far as color, contrast and speed goes.

And yeah, to echo euskalzabe, 5000:1 contrast ratio = slower gray to gray. Physics is a bitch, and the trailing has been thoroughly discussed in this thread. I bought this as a pure entertainment screen, black on white is very rare in my use case.

The state of technology is that you are not going to find a large format, high contrast, high speed screen for close to this price. Best bet, buy a LG OLED for 10x the price, and also have to deal with ABL.

That's not the easiest way to show the problem. That's the worst case scenario. Don't call that the regular performance of this TV. Most of the time it's effect is minimal, only with high contrast it's clearly noticeable (like, scrolling right here on Hardforum).

That tech will probably do nothing other than tell you your TV is functioning perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with it from what I've seen in the video, and neither TN/VA/IPS are bad: they just have different strong and weak points, so you have to buy knowing what you want and what bothers you. Don't blame the TV for making an incorrect purchase decision for your use and preferences. If you had checked online and done your research well, like, say, reading this whole thread, you would've known long ago that those trails are normal for these cheap 4K panels from Samsung. If that's a deal breaker, buy something else. That doesn't make the panel crap. Plenty people love it. I myself don't notice the trails %95 of the time and even when I do, I simply don't care.

It's not about the worst case scenario. It's about the TV malfuctioning. That VA panels have slow transitions,it's one thing. And that's not even always true since last year JS models had 10-15 MS latency tops and their transitions where better than the 2016 panels.

And yes,it is about Samsung making crappy panels. Their new 144 Hz VA monitor has exactly the same issue,just with another color.

I was expecting this tops,and this is exactly what it should have been,not that it's a good thing anyways:

Not the TV leaving colored trails. If you don't see anything wrong then happy you,i sure as hell won't accept this. And cut the misinformed crap since i don't recall Reading anywhere that VA panels have colored motion blur. It's clearly an issue.

Software,most likely overdrive one. I have noticed that the cooler the color temperature the better it gets.

Plus you may have paid 300 bucks wherever you live,i paid 470 euros where i live so it's not pocket change.

Last edited:
It's not about the worst case scenario. It's about the TV malfuctioning.

Your TV is not malfunctioning. Your TV works fine. If you don't like it, and it bothers you that Samsung produces these products for so cheap, there's one easy solution: DON'T BUY SAMSUNG. Problem solved.

Many of us are happy that such a cheap panel exists, with its problems. If the specific problems, like trailing, don't bother the user, that's a very well spent $300. I paid $300 in the US on Black Friday. Pricing in Europe is always more expensive. That is here nor there though: you should have researched before buying the TV, and if you already knew that you didn't like Samsung panels that trail, buy from other manufacturers that you prefer. You have nobody else to blame but yourself, frankly. Nobody forced you to buy this specific TV. If you're bothered that it's not what you expected, you didn't do enough research. It frankly irks me when people buy without paying attention and then get annoyed when it doesn't fulfill their unrealistic expectations.

These are not hard to fix problems. You don't like it, the solution is easy: return it, buy something else. For what you seem to want though, I'd suggest spending between 750-1000 euros. That, or wait 6 months to see how the 2017 4K TVs have improved.

Last edited:
Your TV is not malfunctioning. Your TV works fine. If you don't like it, and it bothers you that Samsung produces these products for so cheap, there's one easy solution: DON'T BUY SAMSUNG. Problem solved.

Many of us are happy that such a cheap panel exists, with its problems. If the specific problems, like trailing, don't bother the user, that's a very well spent $300. I paid $300 in the US on Black Friday. Pricing in Europe is always more expensive. That is here nor there though: you should have researched before buying the TV, and if you already knew that you didn't like Samsung panels that trail, buy from other manufacturers that you prefer. You have nobody else to blame but yourself, frankly. Nobody forced you to buy this specific TV. If you're bothered that it's not what you expected, you didn't do enough research. It frankly irks me when people buy without paying attention and then get annoyed when it doesn't fulfill their unrealistic expectations.

These are not hard to fix problems. You don't like it, the solution is easy: return it, buy something else. For what you seem to want though, I'd suggest spending between 750-1000 euros. That, or wait 6 months to see how the 2017 4K TVs have improved.
I posted above what trailing means. The motion issues that this TV has are far more advanced than simple VA trailing. Your whole paragraph basically amounts to "lol it's all your fault",when in reality,if i knew it had those motion issues,i would have not bought it. LOL at unrealistic expectations,expecting the TV to not smear the picture with yellow trails.

This isn't latency. Input lag is another problem entirely.

I'm uploading a couple of videos so you can compare and contrast with my perfectly functioning TV. Though they were recorded with my phone, so don't expect the greatest quality.

My TV looks way better than that 940D.

EDIT: Unfinished Swan vid - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86245261/20170103_191703.mp4

EDIT 2: Moving Text - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86245261/20170103_191940.mp4

Thank you for actually being helpful,yeah i guess it is a defect of those specific panels,mine looks worse in real life,but using a cooler color temperature like Warm1 makes it somewhat less worse.

Anyways i noticed here some folks have gadgets like a Colormunki or X-Rite i1. When i engage in HDR mode,the reds kinda lose saturation,was wondering if anyone else of those people have noticed it and may be able to fix it calibrating the HDR separate settings.

my TV looks nothing like yours with the yellow in the video. what brightness/contrast settings are you using and what are your PC GPU settings?

mine
backlight 20
brightness 42
contrast 100
Warm1

Nvidia CP
YCbCr444

Your whole paragraph basically amounts to "lol it's all your fault",when in reality,if i knew it had those motion issues,i would have not bought it.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound disrespectful, but this has been commented before in this thread so it's quite easy to find why it's happening and to know that it's quite normal on these panels.

I still think this is either being widely exaggerated or maybe I'm just zero sensitive to this. Here's a comparison with 2 videos from my own TV:

1) The same Unfinished Swan video which yes, looks bad, because black/white changes are the worst case scenario for this trailing (also check, as has been mentioned in this thread about a million times, the Rtings review where this TVs motion handling is famously bad, so again, seems like you did not do your research prior to buying) - https://goo.gl/photos/x77VSkkcLGRtVkW76
2) Trine 3 gameplay from Youtube, I chose this sequence as there's lots of dark/light contrast, with no heavy trails, because despite the contrast it's not the worst case scenario of full white to full black transition - https://goo.gl/photos/ddr3gbUNaLDLz5QR7

Last edited:
OK, I've tested. Just eyeballing it, your trails might be a bit longer than mine... marginally, You might need to do some tuning to brightness/contrast to find the best balance for speed. I'm using settings from earlier in this thread that seem to be working out as far as color, contrast and speed goes.

And yeah, to echo euskalzabe, 5000:1 contrast ratio = slower gray to gray. Physics is a bitch, and the trailing has been thoroughly discussed in this thread. I bought this as a pure entertainment screen, black on white is very rare in my use case.

The state of technology is that you are not going to find a large format, high contrast, high speed screen for close to this price. Best bet, buy a LG OLED for 10x the price, and also have to deal with ABL.

I'm a noob, whats ABL? And does this TV come with an HDMI cable? (Mine should be here tomorrow :D)

I'm a noob, whats ABL? And does this TV come with an HDMI cable? (Mine should be here tomorrow :D)

Automatic Brightness Limiter - it's been around since plasmas and now, also OLEDs. Essentially, as more of the screen is lit, the brightness of the lit section is reduced. Some people don't notice it much, I notice it a lot. I find it a deal breaker for a PC screen.

It does not impact LCDs like we're talking about here.

And no, no HDMI cable that I recall - make sure you by one that is rated for 18gbps. I went through a few "high speed" cables that wouldn't get me 4k@60hz with 4:4:4. People have had good luck with Amazon Basics for cheap. I found a Vizio branded cable locally that works. It has to say 18gbps on the package.

Back