Samsung UE40HU6900

Heard of Murphy's laws? I wouldn't be that optimistic about prompt HDMI 2.0 gpu release. And when they will be released, very possibly there will be better/cheaper UHD monitors/TVs around then this.

Heard of Murphy's laws? I wouldn't be that optimistic about prompt HDMI 2.0 gpu release. And when they will be released, very possibly there will be better/cheaper UHD monitors/TVs around then this.

I think I can live with 30 Hz for some time if there is no additional big input lag. :)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue55hu6900-201405233782.htm

55" model seems to have 30–40 ms in PC mode, that's not that bad.

60Hz via HDMI on current cards? Sounds wonderful, though no-SLI is a bit of a lemon, due 4K resolution needing lot of gpu power to run at good framerates.
I initially thought that this single tile 4K display support refered to nvidia 4K support specifics, where they added it in hackish way to enable 4K DP MST without enabling denied 2*n nv surround for gaming gpus, so this "support" was to fix bugs of that support for eg. samsung monitor with DP SST 60Hz, not HDMI 2.0. So i'll try first to google more on this for extra proof from other sources too .. spending 1.5+K basing on just one forum post seems a bit risky.

I was just thinking of the same TV as a monitor, but finally decided against it. Due to unconfirmed HDMI 2.0 and I couldn't find info on input lag.

I recently had experience with a low cost tv that had about 2 seconds input lag. So my confidence in the unknown is not so good.

With beta driver on nvidia kepler or newer cards. With worse picture of 4:2:0 chroma compr. to get under hdmi 1.4 bandwith constraints. Haven't yet heard that AMD cand do this too, or older nvidia cards.
Or when in future there will be next generation cards with native hdmi 2.0 support, then same 60Hz just without lossy compression as now.
So "any circumstances" is by far too widely said.

The panel manufacturer seems to be Samsung (service menu says 40A6AU7VH) and the panel technology is probably PSA (or some derivative).

ue40hu6900.jpg

e‐Manual says UHD 50p/60p RGB and YCbCr 4:4:4 are supported (when HDMI UHD Color menu option is turned on), but I have no way to confirm it.

And now the bad news… the background in the above image is supposed to be dark grey, but it looks like that the TV is doing some tricks (to avoid black crush?) and only half of the subpixels are lit (and they are appropriately brighter). I'm not sure if it's working correctly or how to disable it, but it seems to cause some artifacts (“vertical scanlines”), especially when there is some motion.

Have you tried running it in PC mode (rename the input you're using to PC). This usually disables all the extra features.

Have you tried running it in PC mode (rename the input you're using to PC). This usually disables all the extra features.

Yes, PC mode, picture mode Standard, backlight 20 (max.), contrast 100, brightness 45 (default), sharpness 0, gamma 0, colour tone Standard, HDMI black level Normal, HDMI UHD color on. Settings like dynamic contrast, black tone or motion lightning are greyed out and set to off in this mode.

Yes, PC mode, picture mode Standard, backlight 20 (max.), contrast 100, brightness 45 (default), sharpness 0, gamma 0, colour tone Standard, HDMI black level Normal, HDMI UHD color on. Settings like dynamic contrast, black tone or motion lightning are greyed out and set to off in this mode.
I think there is a power saving mode somewhere that is doing this. My UN40FH6030 does the same thing when dark or fading scenes are being displayed. I haven't really noticed it until recently, so I'm going to try to see if this is the case when I get home today.

I think there is a power saving mode somewhere that is doing this. My UN40FH6030 does the same thing when dark or fading scenes are being displayed. I haven't really noticed it until recently, so I'm going to try to see if this is the case when I get home today.

I've only found Energy Saving (off), Eco Sensor (off) and Motion Lighting (greyed out and off).

Maybe those “vertical scanlines” aren't caused by that dark color optimization… sometimes I see them in bright areas too (they are more visible in the dark ones, though).

BTW, the panel is probably Samsung LSF400FM01-G.

About Service Menu:

POWER > INFO > MENU > MUTE > POWER

I need change the Region : is not possible? SamyGO is not compatible with UH series?

I need change the region off tuner, not the region of Samsung Smart Hub

14699479278_731b25d7e9_n.jpg

My region is locked on Panaeuro... i need Euro :(

My config is a Apple MacBook Pro 2011 13"...i wating a hdmi cable 2.0 for the support of UltraHD resolution ( now is only 1080p)

Cable will NOT bring you HDMI 2.0 support (especially if HDMI 2.0 uses same high speed hdmi cables, as for HDMI 1.4). As of now there is no gpu with HDMI 2.0 support. Who knows if it will appear in next or one after next gen from amd/nvidia/intel. Right now - none. And certainly not in 2011' apple laptop.

I need change the region off tuner, not the region of Samsung Smart Hub

14699479278_731b25d7e9_n.jpg

My region is locked on Panaeuro... i need Euro :(

Changing the Local Set and Tuner settings is possible too, read the whole thread I linked. You just need a Samsung Android device with an IR blaster or a PC with a Samsung IR extender.

My Mac have a miniDP port ; at office, i have a Dell P2815Q ( 4K @30Hz) ad work without problem with miniDP-DP cable:

14700767279_b3b1128fe6_c.jpg

At home, i buy this adapter for the Samsung:

14866638535_4f6652c3fa_z.jpg

but i not yet received the hdmi 2.0 cable...

One can run UHD via hdmi 1.4, if it's refresh rate limited to 30Hz. And i repeat once again, there is no such thing as "hdmi 2.0 cable", and if seller asks extra price for such, it's scam. Same cables work with hdmi 1.4 & hdmi 2.0 .. if both sides support it.

Changing the Local Set and Tuner settings is possible too, read the whole thread I linked. You just need a Samsung Android device with an IR blaster or a PC with a Samsung IR extender.

I use a my Pc with Samsung IR extender : not work :(

I use this files: link

You may order whichever high speed hdmi cable you wish. They all will work same. Just don't expect for your videocard to magically start supporting standard it doesn't support.

Today i try a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 : 4K@30Hz works on HDMI port.

14964299745_03ffaec5b8_c.jpg

Hi,

i replace my old MBP 2011 with MBPr 15" 2013 : now, show me 8K Resolution

15028632611_83a1be9c22_c.jpg

:9

Today i try a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 : 4K@30Hz works on HDMI port.

14964299745_03ffaec5b8_c.jpg

since you have the tv, any chance to test the latency ? The way i do it is put the screens in mirror mode, run the simple javascript clock below, and take a snapshot with a phone of the two screens to see the difference between the two screens

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><script>
Object.prototype.d = function(l) {
return (this + Math.pow(10,l)).toString().substring(1, l+1) }
function g(x) { return document.getElementById(x); }
function clock() {
var t=new Date();
g('txt').innerHTML=t.getSeconds().d(2)+'.'+t.getMilliseconds().d(3);
setTimeout(clock,1);
}
</script></head>
<body onload="clock()">
Set PC to mirror screens, take a snapshot with a camera, compare times<br/>
<div id="txt" style="font-size: 120px;"></div>
</body></html>

I have tested a Hisense 42" tv at 170-200ms latency. I have a 39" seiki which exhibits 130-160ms in the best case, and have tried an LG 42" also around 200ms.
None of the above seems to have any "game" mode setting to minimize latency (apart from the obvious Sharpness, MEMC and overscan disabling).

[EDIT] thanks to a very kind salesperson at a local store, i could run the test myself. Connectiong the MBpro via HDMI (3840x2160@30Hz), the latency is in the 100-130ms range, no matter how I set the various controls (MEMC, filters etc). Interestingly, there is no way to enable "GAME" mode with the 4k input, the menu entry is greyed out.

Unfortunately, even this device has the same poor range as other TVs i tested. I have read one report of a lower latency for this specific model, but it was in 1080p mode (at 50 or 60 Hz).

Last edited:
Would you recommend this tv as a computer monitor ?
What about 4k / 60hz and chroma 4:4:4 ?
Thank you

Back