Samsung UD590 now on Newegg - $869

I want one of these, but now that I have some experience with HiDPI with Windows, I'm hesitant. Got a 15.6" 3K screen laptop from work and oh boy, HiDPI support just ain't there app-wise. Be ready for a barrage of "such-and-such app is BLURRY!!!!" complaints.

Yeah, that'll be the one bad thing about the monitor. I hope they just copy Apple with how they support hi-dpi displays. On OS X, you can make a 4k display look exactly like a 1080P display, just with the increased clarity. My 2880x1800 Macbook looks like a 1440x900 Macbook (I can make it look like a 1080P screen too if I want), but it looks infinitely clearer.

Looking at the power adapter in this newegg photo it looks like the power pack cable is a two prong, so unless you have a two prong to standard av cable lying around your gonna need the adapter :(

I noticed that. Damn. So what kind of adapter will I need exactly to plug this thing into a wall socket? I don't even think places like Best Buy have it the adapter in stock by me. This is the only one I could find and they won't have it for 3-5 day. Found it @ RadioShack. There's goes the cost difference.:(

Last edited:
I was debating whether or not to pre-order one of these or order a MakerGear M2...then I read up on the Samsung UD970 so I think I'll get the M2 now and wait for the UD970 to be announced later this year

I was debating whether or not to pre-order one of these or order a MakerGear M2...then I read up on the Samsung UD970 so I think I'll get the M2 now and wait for the UD970 to be announced later this year

UD970 looks like another display using same Sharp IGZO trash panel for 3 grands.

NEMA-1-15-to-C7-polarized-power-cord-2.jpg

I just dug up one of these I had lying around, so I should be all set. Hopefully they'll ship soon.

UD970 looks like another display using same Sharp IGZO trash panel for 3 grands.

If that turns out to be the case, I can always keep my 39" Seiki and 50" Seiki until I see something 4K @60Hz in the 32"-ish range at a good price

I don't game as heavily as I used to and the Seikis are fine for my needs once they were properly calibrated.

NEMA-1-15-to-C7-polarized-power-cord-2.jpg

I just dug up one of these I had lying around, so I should be all set. Hopefully they'll ship soon.

I found one of those too! It pays to have a closet full of boxes containing endless spaghetti cables!

If that turns out to be the case, I can always keep my 39" Seiki and 50" Seiki until I see something 4K @60Hz in the 32"-ish range at a good price

I don't game as heavily as I used to and the Seikis are fine for my needs once they were properly calibrated.

While I enjoy the Seiki's VA colors & 120hz 1080p mode I do not see myself ever using it again after I get the U28D590 & Asus Rog Swift so I have gotten rid of my Seiki. The fact that one dude is not planning on making a custom 4k 60hz Tcon for the Seiki 39" didn't help its case either.

Has your monitor been shipped yet Wag? Apparently mine hasn't (or maybe they just didn't tick shipped?). Aus Post says it should only take 3 days when shipped from Australia>Korea, so I should get it quickly once shipped thankfully.

Has your monitor been shipped yet Wag? Apparently mine hasn't (or maybe they just didn't tick shipped?). Aus Post says it should only take 3 days when shipped from Australia>Korea, so I should get it quickly once shipped thankfully.

According to ebay mine has not shipped yet. I sent a status message to the seller top_trading this morning but have not heard back yet, but they are 13 hours ahead of me time wise so they would have received my question at 10pm their time. I am hoping for a shipping status update tomorrow.

Another user on another forum received their u28d590 from top_trading yesterday and this is what he has to say about the display (however, I need to call into question his remarks about the input lag, this display has 1ms and should not have more lag than his IPS so he is doing something wrong.....also he mentions noticeable jaggies, which should not be apparently visible @4k on a 28" screen so I think hes "doing it wrong":

I don't know where my good camera is so I can't take a decent picture of it, but here is the screen:

please ignore the little red square that I accidentally added

To my untrained but not-at-all colorblind eyes, color is very good. Side by side with an ASUS VG248QE (TN built for gaming) and an HP ZR2740w (IPS not so much built for gaming), it clearly beats the Asus and matches the HP for color. I can't tell the difference anyway. This samsung monitor is a semi-glossy screen so white appears a little cleaner than both my other screens which are not glossy.

Definitely a TN panel, as you can see rather dramatically exaggerated in the photo, where the flat overclock.net background looks more like a gradient.

Input lag feels a little higher than the HP, which in turn feels a little higher than the Asus. But that said I'm not sure you'd notice it if it was your only monitor.

I'm feeding this with a GTX 680 factory overclocked slightly, and so far the only game I've tried is Natural Selection 2 which runs absolutely horribly at native resolution. 30 FPS in the refinery ready-room with AA OFF where I'm used to seeing over 100 FPS at 1920x1080 with AA ON smile.gif

Jaggies are most definitely noticable with AA off. So you'll want it on, but you probably wont get to have it on. And other settings will probably have to go down too.

Also, based on some purely subjective tests with the blurbusters UFO test, motion blur is very nice on this monitor. I can't tell the difference between the blur on my ASUS VG248QE and this one. I probably could tell if I could find my good camera, but just eyeballing it, these monitors both are considerably better than my HP / IPS panel.

There are 3 Response Time options in the OSD. Standard, Faster, and Fastest. Faster is the default and looks the best. Standard introduces terrible motion blur, and Fastest introduces horrible negative-color ghosting. Basically I see no reason to use any setting besides the default, "Faster".

Yes, it does 60hz via displayport beautifully. I have now tried the display with dual HDMI inputs. You can choose from any of the 3 inputs for each half of the screen in picture-by-picture mode. So you can in fact feed it two HDMI cables from one PC and get the full native resolution at 60hz. But as far as Windows is concerned, you have attached two monitors that both run 1920x2160 at 60hz via HDMI. So you have to extend the desktop and make sure the two displays are configured side by side, and then your taskbar only extends halfway.

So for windowed-mode games and web surfing this is fine, but for "fullscreen" games you'll need to set up something like eyefinity or nvidia surround or some 3rd party solution. I couldn't make nvidia surround work, but maybe that is just me being a noob.

Lastly, since my GTX 680 doesn't have 2 HDMIs, I used a DVI-to-HDMI adapter for the second output. That worked just fine.

No, mine hasn't shipped yet either. I hope this guy isn't full of sh*t and actually has the item in stock. He has our money now so we're SOL. Either way it looks like we're getting it next week at the earliest. So much for fast shipping.:mad:

I had a similar situation when I ordered a Catleap. I ordered it on Sunday, asked for a status update on Tuesday....didn't hear anything from the seller....but the display showed up on my doorstep on Wednesday! I'm hoping lightning strikes twice :)

It would be nice to get a Fedex tracking # so I know when it's coming.

Well the seller has been good about responding to my questions about the multi-plug situation, so lets see what he says about the shipping situation. He responded to my prior inquiries after 10pm EST, so hopefully we should hear something soon!

Yeah, I also just asked him if mine shipped so let's see what's up.

Pretty cheap of him for not including a multi-plug though, a lot of the other sellers do- I only hope that electrical cable we have is the right one, I don't want to be running around trying to find a multi-plug when the monitor comes.

Yea but the multi-plug those Koreans give out as a "free gift" are cheap chinese 2 cent pieces of firehazard junk. I am so stoked that I found a proper A/C cable, but my bases are double covered in the event of catastrophe lol

Some cheap generic chinese piece of junk that I got as a free gift with a catleap purchase two years ago

Some highlight quotes from that Korean review....lmao some things get lost in translation :p

It's like see the lagoon.

I wipe finger marks to take pictures just like you are in a hurry she is now.

27 inches is enough to be seen as a moment mean squid

You know I can not recognize. Do not look out of water.

Low angle view of this monitor really could happen When asked to hit any nonoe horse.

If you see yourself sitting in front of the monitor viewing angle and color inversion, that radiation would not be a problem at all

UGGGGG.....just heard back from my ebay seller :(
The product is shipped Friday.
(Handling Time: 5 business day)
Please wait a bit.

Kind regards,

Am I going to be able to change the OSD to English?

God I hope so lol

Some highlight quotes from that Korean review....lmao some things get lost in translation :p

It's like see the lagoon.

I wipe finger marks to take pictures just like you are in a hurry she is now.

27 inches is enough to be seen as a moment mean squid

You know I can not recognize. Do not look out of water.

Low angle view of this monitor really could happen When asked to hit any nonoe horse.

If you see yourself sitting in front of the monitor viewing angle and color inversion, that radiation would not be a problem at all

ha ha ha!
yeah i tried google translate initially and it wasn't very good, bing translate was a bit better.

I wonder if the other sellers would've shipped sooner... cheaper and potentially earlier. Sigh.

Yea, Ive been reading through some of the other listings now and most have changed their delivery dates between March 18th - 30th.

This seller is really pushing for negative feedback from me. I let most things slide, but I do not believe sellers should EVER advertise products that they do not have in inventory. This fuckhead has wasted our time, time that could have been spent with another seller who does have the product on hand. Also, when I ordered it said handling time of 2 business days not 5. I think its really shitty that he is trying to slide FIVE days up our asses. Yes I am pissed, I sold my main display to make room for this thing and now have to use a piece of shit 8 year old HDTV as my primary display until moses parts the sea for this asshole.

Well if everyone delayed their delivery dates, maybe there were unexpected delays?

Not all of the sellers delayed their deliver dates, but whos to know if they are not lying about them like my seller did. Bottom line is sellers should never advertise a product unless they have it on hand sitting in inventory, otherwise it wastes buyers time and pulls money out of legitimate sellers pockets who do have the product on hand and ready to ship. The practice is dishonestly greedy and deserves a neg.

Other people have received this monitor from that seller though, so I feel like it could be a supplier issue.

Other people have received this monitor from that seller though, so I feel like it could be a supplier issue.

I am not saying that we will not get our monitors, I am quite sure we will. What I am saying is he should never have advertised them unless he had them sitting on his living room floor in stock ready to ship.

He probably didn't have them available. That's what I figured.:mad:

ff473db80cf4b9f89000a03e8e108a9a.JPG

Looking at the pictures on the power block does it look like the hardwired end is toward the monitor or toward the outlet?

Yeah, it would suck if we couldn't change the OSD language. I never even thought of that.

Last edited:
I just bought a grounded multi-plug on eBay for $5. I figure it's always good to have one around anyways. Ironically I should have it before the monitor arrives.

I couldn't figure this monitor out at first. I was like WOW, 4k? $699? Impossible.

Oh wait, it's TN. That explains it.

I couldn't figure this monitor out at first. I was like WOW, 4k? $699? Impossible.

Oh wait, it's TN. That explains it.

Thats a small sacrifice for what is included here. The first decent 4k 60hz monitor, and amazon has it pegged for significantly less than 1k.

That's good news for EVERYONE. Major competition.

Man, this is very tempting. I was going to hold out for the Lenovo, but this is very good value for money it seems.

Thing is, if I get one of these, I would probably have to get rid of the Dell 3011 (dont have the room), and I'm not sure if that's a good move

Thats a small sacrifice for what is included here. The first decent 4k 60hz monitor, and amazon has it pegged for significantly less than 1k.

That's good news for EVERYONE. Major competition.

Yeah I'm definitely going to need to see it in person next to an IPS to gauage how "good" of a TN monitor it is. I do like Samsung, not going to lie.

That being said, I think my first choice for an up and comer is going to be the Dell U3415W Cinema-wide.

I am getting confused about Samsung's choice of where to put their ports and the lack of VESA mounts. I generally like their products, heck I have 3 of their monitors with no VESA mounts, but still makes me scratch my head. Especially since the stand on this one is really lacking in features. Seems like a big miss to me personally.

I want mine already. I'm tired of waiting.:(

This feels like the an eternal waiting room for expectant fathers lol. I wanted mine when I ordered on Sunday and immediately kicked myself in the ass when I realized that they had been listed on ebay for over a week! I don't even know what to call my emotion now as it flops from bouts of anxiety to rage, then uncontrollable laughter followed by vapid sobing....I have been dreaming forever about a 27"-34" solo high resolution display for stock trading, excel, and real estate work productivity. My Seiki 4k is adequate but the buggy 30hz gets on the nerves during a high stress day :mad:

I just have this nagging feeling that Samsung is going to screw us and pull all supply because Amazon & other retailers my be whinning about the loss of potential sales due to the Koreans jumping the gun. This is exactly what happened to me during GTA Vs release, there was a mom and pop game store in Miami that advertised the game early on craigslist, so I went down there and waited in line about 4 hours, with 50 other people, only to be told that Take2 had the shipper hold everything at the dock because a gamestop regional manager tipped them off about the cragslist ad....ugggh as if I needed any other reasons to hate gamestop :mad:

Last edited:
Back