Samsung U28D590 UHD Review

There is also another reason for it, I believe that you can not have another monitor when MST mode is used, something interesting to be verified.

The Samsung is supposed to operate in SST mode, not MST. Anyway the bandwidth limitation should only apply to the DP port and not to the other ports.

The Samsung is supposed to operate in SST mode, not MST. Anyway the bandwidth limitation should only apply to the DP port and not to the other ports.

yes, "supposed to", but to this day nobody was able to conclusively confirm that it is SST. But, the favor I'm asking, I believe if one monitor is in MST mode, you can not make the graphic card work one monitor in MST and the second in SST, I'd like to verify it practically and not in theory. TIA

yes, "supposed to", but to this day nobody was able to conclusively confirm that it is SST. But, the favor I'm asking, I believe if one monitor is in MST mode, you can not make the graphic card work one monitor in MST and the second in SST, I'd like to verify it practically and not in theory. TIA

There is no setting to 'disable' MST mode, and as much as I have tried I am unable to 'break' the MST mode if this monitor has one, the bios displays as it would on any monitor in full screen as does lower resolutions. Both Windows and all the places in the NVidia control panel see this as 1 monitor and not 2. I am running a GTX 780 GPU and I've tried both older and newer drivers with no issues. Ubuntu is the same, it sees just one monitor and runs at 4k@60hz

Chaoss, if you have another monitor with HDMI or DVI, can you connect it at the same time with your UD590 ? I know it's not gaming because it would be too much for your GTX card, but it's a relevant test if a graphic card can output in extended mode to 2 monitors one being possibly MST (if it works it would rather confirm U590 is SST)

Chaoss, if you have another monitor with HDMI or DVI, can you connect it at the same time with your UD590 ? I know it's not gaming because it would be too much for your GTX card, but it's a relevant test if a graphic card can output in extended mode to 2 monitors one being possibly MST (if it works it would rather confirm U590 is SST)

I don't have another monitor... but I DO have an Oculus Rift (which Windows sees as a secondary monitor) and it hasn't caused any problems, it acts just the way it did on my old 30" monitor, I'd recommend using the HDMI port for a secondary display though because using the DVI port means the bios and stuff show up on the other monitor (in my case the Oculus Rift)

Thank you Chaoss. It makes me think if connecting 2 monitors is a reliable method to detect an auto-MST mode on one of them ?

MST has always worked fine with multiple monitors. I've used a U2412M with my 32" Asus MST monitor since the day I got it 8 months ago. (Win7 + Nvidia card)

Thank you Sancus, so I guess we still can't confirm conclusively if UD590 is MST or SST. I guess we'll have the same question for the coming Lenovo PRO2840m.

I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me if the U28D590D has better image/colour quality than the Samsung S27B970D.

I currently own the S27B970D althought it is a 1440p monitor it is a super PLS monitor and has incredible colour and brightness.

But looking at the specs, it is a 8 bit panel with 16.7 million colours where as the U28D590D claims to be 10bit with 1.07 billion colours.

So is anyone able to elaborate on which of these 2 monitors would have better colour/image quality besides the fact that the U28D590D has 4k res. ?

So, the stand...I am surprised noone has mentioned it by now. How bad is it? Is there any adjustment option at all? Some sites say 15degree tilt but I cant find anyone to confirm this. There is no vesa mount option ether? I think for a tn panel you should be able to adjust your monitor to the angle that is right for you, that is why I am thinking of maybe waiting for Asus PB287Q which has a nice stand and a usb hub probably with this same panel.

I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me if the U28D590D has better image/colour quality than the Samsung S27B970D.

I currently own the S27B970D althought it is a 1440p monitor it is a super PLS monitor and has incredible colour and brightness.

But looking at the specs, it is a 8 bit panel with 16.7 million colours where as the U28D590D claims to be 10bit with 1.07 billion colours.

So is anyone able to elaborate on which of these 2 monitors would have better colour/image quality besides the fact that the U28D590D has 4k res. ?

I've actually been looking into this a bit. What I've been able to find is that these newer 4K TN panels are LIKELY 8-bit + FRC panels. Nobody has been able to confirm this, however. The Dell 28-inch 4K also lists 1.07 billion colors, meaning it is also LIKELY (again, no confirmation) an 8-bit + FRC panel. Perhaps the Dell and Samsung are even using the same panel. In addition I've heard the new gaming Asus 1440p TN panel is going to be 8-bit, so that will be another TN panel that is 8-bit.

How do these compare to PLS/IPS panels? Unfortunately I have not seen any of these new TN panels. Knowing that the panel is 8-bit alone doesn't give us a clear idea of the panel's image quality. I'd be interested to hear if these panels start to approach IPS image quality.

That being said, many smaller IPS/PLS panels on the market right now are 6-bit + FRC, similar to TN panels. Many reviewers still notice a big image quality jump even though the panels are both native 6-bit. Other reviewers don't find that big of a difference. So it really can vary.

Not sure if u have read this but at least it hasnt been posted here yet so

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5269/samsung-lu28d590d-review-4k-becomes-affordable

Based on that review it would seem the image quality is very good. Besides off angle viewing, which continues to be a struggle for TN panels, it seems like it is much better than the TN panels I'm used to.

That being said, I have some high quality TN panels at work from Dell's older professional line. If I hadn't looked them up, I could have sworn they were cheap IPS panels. I'm sure they are not as good, but it does seem if a company works hard TN panels can be decent for image quality.

Based on that review it would seem the image quality is very good. Besides off angle viewing, which continues to be a struggle for TN panels, it seems like it is much better than the TN panels I'm used to.

That being said, I have some high quality TN panels at work from Dell's older professional line. If I hadn't looked them up, I could have sworn they were cheap IPS panels. I'm sure they are not as good, but it does seem if a company works hard TN panels can be decent for image quality.

Two reviews that I have read both said the tn panel in this monitor is by far the best tn panel they had ever tested. So I am very excited and I think the tn panel isnt that scary to me anymore, but the stand used in this monitor is now the only turn off for me...so I think I will be waiting for the Asus PB287Q.

Hey thanks for that review link exactly what I was looking for. Althought it is not bad, I don't think ill get this samsung ud590 and sacrifice ot for the real estate of my s27b970d.

Ill wait for some IPS/PLS 4K monitors.

Just a heads up, right now SLI isn't working properly with this monitor at least from what I've seen. My monitor will default to 2560x1440 when SLI is enabled with no way to set it higher. I've seen someone else with the same problem on Toms Hardware forums.

People on OCUK don't seem to be having that problem. Which GPUs and which drivers are you using?

I'm thinking of getting this monitor. I haven't bought a new monitor in years so I was waiting for the perfect time to jump on a 4k monitor.

I am also considering getting this one, or any 4k monitor at that. But this one definitely has my main interest.

I just hope my 7970HD is enough to run things. Probably not.

Hopefully it becomes available in Europe soon.

Managed to get ncixus to give me the new price they have. $524 for a 4k monitor isn't bad. Too bad I have no idea when they will fill their back orders.

I'm considering this display instead of the ROG Swift, since gaming at 1080p should theoretically be a very good experience even without Gsync due to higher framerate.

Can anyone who owns this monitor tell me how it looks at 2560x1440? That's the highest my 2012 Macbook Pro Retinal will drive from the Thunderbolt port, but if it looks bad then I should probably pass.

I'm considering this display instead of the ROG Swift, since gaming at 1080p should theoretically be a very good experience even without Gsync due to higher framerate.

Can anyone who owns this monitor tell me how it looks at 2560x1440? That's the highest my 2012 Macbook Pro Retinal will drive from the Thunderbolt port, but if it looks bad then I should probably pass.

Why would you get this instead of a native 1440, if you want to use it at 1440?

The only way a LCD would look good at a non-native resolution was if it was a resolution that could be pixel doubled, and the built-in scaler did proper pixel doubling. 2560x1440 does not divide evenly into 3840x2160, and even if it did, there are no known 4k monitors that do pixel doubling with their built-in scalers anyway.

So no, it doesn't look good at 2560x1440.

The only way a LCD would look good at a non-native resolution was if it was a resolution that could be pixel doubled, and the built-in scaler did proper pixel doubling. 2560x1440 does not divide evenly into 3840x2160, and even if it did, there are no known 4k monitors that do pixel doubling with their built-in scalers anyway.

So no, it doesn't look good at 2560x1440.

I asked for somebody who's got the monitor to try it and tell me how it looks. I didn't ask for you to attempt to explain the basics of LCD scaling to me. I've seen high DPI displays show non-divisible lower resolutions pretty well. So I guess thanks for nothing.

I asked for somebody who's got the monitor to try it and tell me how it looks. I didn't ask for you to attempt to explain the basics of LCD scaling to me. I've seen high DPI displays show non-divisible lower resolutions pretty well. So I guess thanks for nothing.

Can't the macbook retinas run 4k just at 30hz over hdmi?

Ouch, with that attitude you might not get a reply from the person you want, either.

Had my monitor for about 4 hours now and while I was very disappointed with the colors when I got it out of the box - I got a chance to tweak the settings a bit to get it acceptable. It's definitely one of the best TN monitors I've tried, but don't get your hopes up it's still not as good as some of the worse IPS, but close (with it's contrast being the worse aspect). I'm still on Windows 7 so support is practically zero for this kind of resolution, but it's still usable. Blacklight bleed isn't a problem at all and I don't notice any dead or stuck pixels, but I don't really hunt for them.

With that out of the way the resolution is why we are here and it's absolutely incredible. Text looks amazing even at a 150%. Games are freaking awesome and I appreciate that TN panel when I whip quickly around in game with minimal motion blur in-comparison to my IPS. Obviously support in most games isn't going to be great on the UI side, but I really like minimal huds so I actually like super small GUIs, haha. If you guys have any question feel free to ask!

Had my monitor for about 4 hours now and while I was very disappointed with the colors when I got it out of the box - I got a chance to tweak the settings a bit to get it acceptable. It's definitely one of the best TN monitors I've tried, but don't get your hopes up it's still not as good as some of the worse IPS, but close (with it's contrast being the worse aspect). I'm still on Windows 7 so support is practically zero for this kind of resolution, but it's still usable. Blacklight bleed isn't a problem at all and I don't notice any dead or stuck pixels, but I don't really hunt for them.

With that out of the way the resolution is why we are here and it's absolutely incredible. Text looks amazing even at a 150%. Games are freaking awesome and I appreciate that TN panel when I whip quickly around in game with minimal motion blur in-comparison to my IPS. Obviously support in most games isn't going to be great on the UI side, but I really like minimal huds so I actually like super small GUIs, haha. If you guys have any question feel free to ask!

Hey, nice message and congratz on the monitor. Could you answer this also? Posted last week, but noone answered :(

So, the stand...I am surprised noone has mentioned it by now. How bad is it? Is there any adjustment option at all? Some sites say 15degree tilt but I cant find anyone to confirm this. There is no vesa mount option ether? I think for a tn panel you should be able to adjust your monitor to the angle that is right for you, that is why I am thinking of maybe waiting for Asus PB287Q which has a nice stand and a usb hub probably with this same panel.

How is the black crush on the samsung?

Also, I often use my Q270 at MINIMUM brightness. Is the samsung much brighter than this, at its minimum?

Hey, nice message and congratz on the monitor. Could you answer this also? Posted last week, but noone answered :(

The stand as far as I can tell has zero adjustment and it's pretty wobbly. Overall not very impressive, but it at least looks good, haha.

@Icor1031

At minimum brightness I just tested it out and you are definitely going to be having some black crush. I run mine at around 40% and as I said above the contrast ratio is definitely the weakest link of this monitor.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

The 1 and 2 are pretty much the same, unless I crank up the brightness.

Yes, I'd say it's the only 4K 60Hz monitor worth buying due to that reason. I had a bad experience with MST-related issues on the Dell 32". Would pick one of these up but I need IPS for color work. At least there's a good chance now the upcoming high end offerings from LG/Samsung/Eizo will not be using MST.

Thanks Knil, that's what I thought but I wanted confirmation. I remember reading a Dell 4K monitor review of the 24" and the reviewer talked about the many problems that the desktop displayed where one side of the monitor would work and the other side wouldn't with the desktop thinking it's two monitor as one 4K monitor.

He ended with the comment that 2015 would fix this problem so I really wasn't looking to upgrade to a 4K in 2014, but looks with the next Nvidia driver update, the Samsung might be a purchase for this year.

Back