Samsung TV settings?

Jynx

n00b
I'm still learning and configuring my Samsung UN40KU7000. Now I know that only HDMI 1 has UHD Color for accepting a 4K HDR signal. Now, one of the new features on this TV's is HDR+. A lot of sites state that HDR+ is an HDR "Upscaler", and that you shouldn't use it for native HDR content. So if I have a 4k Blu-ray player on HDMI 1 w/ UHD Color enabled then I should not enable HDR+.

However, on other websites, it states that "HDR+ will enhance existing HDR content". Then another site will again state its for SDR content.

Now when it comes to Netflix, Amazon Video and Youtube, those are apps on the TV. If your playing 4k content from them then it's native. Yet Endgadget states, and I quote "It significantly enhances HDR Content from providers like Netflix, Amazon and YouTube" What are your guys thoughts, who have experience with this?

Second question, for those of you who have a PS4, not the 'Pro'. With the PS4 being updated to display HDR content I would need to plug the PS4 into HDMI 1 and enabled UHD Color so that HDR content can be displayed (assuming its an updated HDR game). Yet Samsung, and other sites, state that the source device has to be a 4K device otherwise enabling UHD Color can degrade the video and sound.

So how are you supposed to use the HDR features on the non pro version if you can't use the HDMI port cable of displaying HDR content?

Basically don't touch HDR+, turn it off. It's just a bullshit marketing feature that will result in incorrect colors. Also don't worry about the resolution, HDR should work with both 1080p and 4K just fine.

So are you saying I still need to put the PS4 on HDMI 1 since it's the only port w/ 2.0a but just don't enable UHD Color and I'll still get HDR content?

So are you saying I still need to put the PS4 on HDMI 1 since it's the only port w/ 2.0a but just don't enable UHD Color and I'll still get HDR content?

He is saying use HDMI 1 and use UHD Color but leave HDR + off.

He is saying use HDMI 1 and use UHD Color but leave HDR + off.

Then you miss my question/concern. Your only supposed to enable UHD Color if the source is 4K. Otherwise you can degrade the picture and sound. The Samsung book states this, and their forum posts in other places where this has occurred. So my main issue was, if the PS4, non 4K version has HDR games, and your not to enabled UHD Color if the source is non 4k, then how do you utilize HDR from the PS4.

The way Kasakka worded it, leaving UHD Color off so that the TV still expects a 1080P source would still allow me to utilize HDR content. I'm not sure about that. But until he responds, it definitely doesn't sound like he was saying I need to turn it on w/ a classic PS4.

I have the 6290 4k and have had it in 1080P for gaming. It looks fine with UHD color on.

Then you miss my question/concern. Your only supposed to enable UHD Color if the source is 4K. Otherwise you can degrade the picture and sound. The Samsung book states this, and their forum posts in other places where this has occurred. So my main issue was, if the PS4, non 4K version has HDR games, and your not to enabled UHD Color if the source is non 4k, then how do you utilize HDR from the PS4.

The way Kasakka worded it, leaving UHD Color off so that the TV still expects a 1080P source would still allow me to utilize HDR content. I'm not sure about that. But until he responds, it definitely doesn't sound like he was saying I need to turn it on w/ a classic PS4.

You need UHD for both HDR and having 4:4:4 support for PC mode which is necessary to get the most accurate picture for it. It is not a special effect or anything, it just enables more options. There is no reason to not have it on really. What degradation people have reported? This is the first time I have heard about this.

Basically don't touch HDR+, turn it off. It's just a bullshit marketing feature that will result in incorrect colors. Also don't worry about the resolution, HDR should work with both 1080p and 4K just fine.

Its not so bad really. Its not just a saturation enhancer but it really is somewhat intelligent upscaler trying to make the picture more HDR like, higher contrast and richer colors without butchering skin tones and whatever. That said, its not something you want to have on for bluray movies or any high quality sources where you want as accurate colors as possible, but for lower quality movies or TV series it can have interesting results.

You need UHD for both HDR and having 4:4:4 support for PC mode which is necessary to get the most accurate picture for it. It is not a special effect or anything, it just enables more options. There is no reason to not have it on really. What degradation people have reported? This is the first time I have heard about this.

I'll find the link.

Yea I have the PC on HDMI 1 now w/ UHD Color. Works great. Just sucks that HDMI 1 is the only port. I was hoping I wouldn't have to swap HDMI cables back and forth w/ the PC/PS4 when I bought this (my old monitor only had 1 HDMI port) but If I want to use HDR I have too. Or use HDR+ for the PS4 on HDMI 2 I guess. But if I buy a PS4 Pro then I'll definitely have to keep swapping ports. But I couldn't pass it up for $477 otherwise I would have bought an SUHD, but I assume the darn kids want to have Christmas! Plus I didn't want a monitor larger than 40" and I don't think they have an SUHD that size.

Back