Samsung Turning off TVs in the UK

But it is now mine (actually mine is an lg...)
6seconds of them doing what they like to equipment I own in my hone in MY free time is 6seconds too much

A Samsung add broadcasted on ITV/Ch4 is something different as it is during an add break and would just be product advertisement BUT specific feature demo when they want Not against somewhere schedule is too far.

Time to blacklist Samsung like I have sony
Personally I look at it like Millenial Whining. 6 seconds is too long? Most likely we will all be out of our homes when it happens anyway. And even if it does happen at home, its 6 seconds...Grab a beer or something because you arent going to die.

If Samsung did this as a typical commercial, much like their current QLED commercials, there wouldn't be as much concern as actually remotely hijacking the device and slamming it into "demo mode". So much for Samsung getting past that whole "sorry for spying on you" issues, ex. (1)(2). In doing this, they simply prove that having a "smart TV" is really a stupid idea!

I too have a ambient mode where I leave my display turned on to waste energy.

I have a Samsung 55" Plasma smart TV for 5 years now. They have tried hard to make me regret purchases. For the first few months everything appeared ok. Then they started removing apps/services. These were apps/services that were irrelevant, never used them (Plex, Netflix, Amazon Video etc are way better than Samsung's silly stuff), so it was fine to stop supporting them. However, they would tell me about it, EVERY TIME I switched the TV on, sometimes for MONTHS at a time, as they were supposedly giving you a heads up quite early for the scheduled deactivation. So far it doesn't sound too bad, eh? Service I don't use, warning once every power on... But here is how they implemented it: The warning was not immediately when you switched on your TV, or at least when it connected to the network, but a few minutes later, after you were guaranteed to have had enough time to pick something from your favorite streaming service and start watching it, then it would popup a 50% transparent overlay which darkened your screen, just to show the warning on the very top that X service will be deactivated at X/Y/Z and you either had to wait for it to go away, or scramble to press OK with your remote. Who thought of that? Why are they not in some asylum? Questions, questions, questions...
Also Samsung seems to have one of the worst service departments if something goes wrong (long story), so that was one of my last Samsung purchases, when I was a mostly Samsung person...

If Samsung did this as a typical commercial, much like their current QLED commercials, there wouldn't be as much concern as actually remotely hijacking the device and slamming it into "demo mode". So much for Samsung getting past that whole "sorry for spying on you" issues, ex. (1)(2). In doing this, they simply prove that having a "smart TV" is really a stupid idea!

You don't understand.

Well, my tv been on allday and I specifically asked them to tell me if that shit happens.

Nothing happened.

So I can only assume that only 2018 tv’s were affected by that virus.

And this is why I won't buy a smart TV.

No need to go that far, just dont connect it to the internet, and dont plug an aerial into it.

However, I think whatever was meant to happen today, I think that will be signal induced, aka the signal coming from the tv transmitter, if so, use cable or satellite tv instead, that way your tv wont be picking up the signal because it will not be connected to an aerial, indoor or outdoor.

TL;DR

Get a smart tv but dont connect an aerial to it, use cable or sat tv boxes instead and dont let it access the net.

I have a Samsung 55" Plasma smart TV for 5 years now. They have tried hard to make me regret purchases. For the first few months everything appeared ok. Then they started removing apps/services. These were apps/services that were irrelevant, never used them (Plex, Netflix, Amazon Video etc are way better than Samsung's silly stuff), so it was fine to stop supporting them. However, they would tell me about it, EVERY TIME I switched the TV on, sometimes for MONTHS at a time, as they were supposedly giving you a heads up quite early for the scheduled deactivation. So far it doesn't sound too bad, eh? Service I don't use, warning once every power on... But here is how they implemented it: The warning was not immediately when you switched on your TV, or at least when it connected to the network, but a few minutes later, after you were guaranteed to have had enough time to pick something from your favorite streaming service and start watching it, then it would popup a 50% transparent overlay which darkened your screen, just to show the warning on the very top that X service will be deactivated at X/Y/Z and you either had to wait for it to go away, or scramble to press OK with your remote. Who thought of that? Why are they not in some asylum? Questions, questions, questions...
Also Samsung seems to have one of the worst service departments if something goes wrong (long story), so that was one of my last Samsung purchases, when I was a mostly Samsung person...

Turn off notifications in the menu ?

My 2016 4k beauty has notifications options and also my 2011 sammy led shit.

If you cant find notification options, use the engineers code to open up a new subset of menu options, that we as users are supposedly forbidden to use.

My tv, stock, it has no 3d or support for the sammy smart remote, googled for engineer code and my sammy model, found the code, opened enginners menu and it allows me to activate the smart remote I bought off of ebay and also enabled 3d, which my tv at stock does not have, although it does have the hardware.

The tv model one up from mine has those options, but cost £200 more.

What made me use the engineer code was, my wifi devices kept picking up my tv and calling it the model above my version, which the only differences was the remote and 3d, so I got curious and found out shit works.

And this is why I won't buy a smart TV.

Well, my tv been on allday and I specifically asked them to tell me if that shit happens.

Nothing happened.

So I can only assume that only 2018 tv’s were affected by that virus.

And still they keep coming. Jesus wept.

Serious question: have any of you people read the article? If so, how can you still fail to understand what's actually happening?

I've honestly had to re-read the article about six times, just to make sure it's not actually me who's fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

my toaster wants me to know eggo's are on sale at shop n save Saturday only

And still they keep coming. Jesus wept.

Serious question: have any of you people read the article? If so, how can you still fail to understand what's actually happening?

I've honestly had to re-read the article about six times, just to make sure it's not actually me who's fallen out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.
Or maybe you just over thought my comment. ;)

Back