Samsung to Unveil Its Next Galaxy Note Smartphone on Aug. 9

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung will debut the Galaxy Note 9 at this year’s “Unpacked” event, which will take place in New York on Aug. 9. The new handset will reportedly look similar to last year’s model but include an upgraded processor from Qualcomm and improved camera system.

Samsung had 23 percent of the smartphone market in the first quarter versus 16 percent for Apple Inc., according to data from IDC. Earlier this year, Samsung released the Galaxy S9 phone with an upgraded camera, which has been well received by consumers.

If this time nothing is new or upgrade worthy on the Note 9 then I will just get a discounted Note 8 (hopefully should be discounted by then).

how are samsung phones purchased off carrier? Do they still come with massive bloatware or what? That's my biggest gripe with samsung phones, but I've only bought from the carriers.

Running a nexus 6 and thinking about upgrading towards the end of the year.

how are samsung phones purchased off carrier? Do they still come with massive bloatware or what? That's my biggest gripe with samsung phones, but I've only bought from the carriers.

Running a nexus 6 and thinking about upgrading towards the end of the year.

Yes, they come with the Samsung bloatware. Not any carrier software though.

We've reached peak smartphone already, that means these products are mature and will change very little year to year. No reason to upgrade unless your phone breaks, so they better design them to break quickly or see their sales plummet.

FFS, pass a law already that will limit producing landfill to once every 5 years. These incremental changes to products simply result in consumers ditching what are probably hundreds of thousands of perfectly usable phones just to get a better camera or faster app loading. Is it worth it really? We really have to get out of this mindset if we want a future.

FFS, pass a law already that will limit producing landfill to once every 5 years. These incremental changes to products simply result in consumers ditching what are probably hundreds of thousands of perfectly usable phones just to get a better camera or faster app loading. Is it worth it really? We really have to get out of this mindset if we want a future.
yeah I only buy a new phone if I crack the screen. Now I use a Galaxy J5 2016 with a ported Note 8 ROM and while nice, boy does it suck the battery dry fast if I don't use any power saving options. And about samsungs bloatware, easy to remove if you know how to root and install custom recovery etc but really it should be opt-in with that shit

Phones have been boring for the last several years. We are probably going to see incremental improvements to the hardware going forward. Cloud services will be the "growth area" - image recognition, speech, AI, etc. For cloud, you don't need a fast processor on the phone - just a good connection.
What I want to see (regardless of who makes the phone): better battery life and better reliability. I still have issues with sound quality when making voice calls. (Maybe that's my problem - who makes voice calls anymore)

Back