Samsung to stop (monitor) LCD production - Focuses on quantum dot OLEDs

People should understand, the way quantum dots are used today in LCDs is not the same. Current Samsung QLEDs use a blue inorganic LED backlight with random red and green QDs of a certain density. Together they all form white and pass through the normal LCD color filters....The advantage is the RGB colors are tightly focused, and creating a purer white this way is a lot brighter and efficient over white LED backlight. But the use of the LCD panel would defeat the purpose if QDs were made subpixel color filters.

QD-OLED does just that though, the QD layer is used to color specific RG subpixels, with blue passing through. But using all-blue OLED for the panel, it will be like LG OLEDs with all the advantages. But I think it's better.

For one, LG TVs use blue and yellow OLED emitters to create white, add the RGB color filters, and keep an unfiltered white as the 4th subpixel for brightness. For the same reasons a LCD QLED TV looks brighter and more saturated than a white "LED TV", it should be the case here. The white OLEDs are "dirtier" in terms of color spectrum which reduces RGB saturation, and the traditional color filters further absorb much of the light. QDs are almost entirely efficient though, and the colors are focused and pure. These will be brighter and image quality should be better with just RGB subpixels, and the added complexity of driving 4 subpixels instead of 3 means the Samsung panel should also have better processing and performance. And it's true that blue OLEDs have caused the most trouble with efficiency and lifetime, but advances have mitigated this. Using all-blue should mean more uniform aging and reduced burn-in.

I have a LG B9 and love it though, and LG should be thanked for sticking with OLED and giving us another option after SED was abandoned and plasmas were discontinued, but there's always better and it's good to have some competition. OLED still looks incredible and there's no going back for me.

MicroLED seems to be the holy grail of the future, but electroluminescent quantum dots are also being worked on, which means the QDs themselves would be the emitters and there'd be no need for the OLEDs. Panel lifetimes could possibly approach 1,000,000 hours.

Even if the panel is good for 125 years of continuous use, overall display lifetime will probably remain gated to the 5-20 year range depending on the quality of the rest of the components.

OLED response times are basically instantaneous, microseconds. Even that fastest LCD doesn't come close. LG's marketing is clueless and says stuff like 1ms response time or "> 2ms response time" on their website lol.

Yes the oled panel is quite instantaneous but, the digital controller adds to that. OR all consoles and PCs take 10-ism MS to render.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tvs-for-gaming-in-2020-low-input-lag-high-picture-quality/

that instantaneous response hurts 24p / 30fps films depending on a persons vision too. only because LCDs use a trick/hack, playing their lag time to an advantage between frames with 24p/30fps since it takes time for the crystals re align for each pixel refresh

Even if the panel is good for 125 years of continuous use, overall display lifetime will probably remain gated to the 5-20 year range depending on the quality of the rest of the components.

Man CRTs have that down pat, i've seen stuff even from 50s come back to life with fresh capacitors and resistors, even some units far older on display in museums or youtube from time to time.

MicroLED seems to be the holy grail of the future, but electroluminescent quantum dots are also being worked on, which means the QDs themselves would be the emitters and there'd be no need for the OLEDs. Panel lifetimes could possibly approach 1,000,000 hours.

Huge grains of salt on that one. They might have seen some effect in the lab. To get it actually producing bright enough light in the long term is another thing entirely, as is fabricating them on scale. This is pie in the sky stuff.

You would be very lucky to see any TV last to 10yrs these days. Basically no one makes them in Japan anymore and capacitors are chinesium. I have repaired LG TVs that have had caps fail in just 12 month due to garbage quality and poor PSU thermal layouts (eg. Placing all coupling capacitors next to heatsinks).

You would be very lucky to see any TV last to 10yrs these days. Basically no one makes them in Japan anymore and capacitors are chinesium. I have repaired LG TVs that have had caps fail in just 12 month due to garbage quality and poor PSU thermal layouts (eg. Placing all coupling capacitors next to heatsinks).

yeah, they want you to get new ones every year. my samsung tvs last around 5-6 years, current one already has one pink/purple strip.

I wasn't really thinking of consumer grade hardware for the upper end of the range. I've got 2 NEC 2090 monitors that are pushing 15 years old (not sure if there's a way to get the manufacturing date from the on screen display but I bought them used around IIRC '08); both were priced well above mass market 1600x1200 monitors when new though.

my dad's 2006/2007 bravia (720p) one of the early gen HD TVs or at least when the big HD switch happened. That's how old it is. it's in the garage now but, it's still kicking.

I wasn't really thinking of consumer grade hardware for the upper end of the range. I've got 2 NEC 2090 monitors that are pushing 15 years old (not sure if there's a way to get the manufacturing date from the on screen display but I bought them used around IIRC '08); both were priced well above mass market 1600x1200 monitors when new though.

Anything in the last 5yrs is likely not to be made in Japan anymore, manufacturing has slowly been offloaded to China etc. I have an old Sony KDL series from 2008 - built like a brick, all Japanese components, still runs lovely. I have lost count of how many recent build LG and Samsung units I have repaired though.

Anecdotes about individual component survival means little. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't . Unless you see an actual statistical analysis of a large batch, you know nothing.

My PSU, LCD Monitor, Motherboard, GPU are all 12+ years old with 50000+ hours run time on them. That does't mean these typically all last 12+ years, 50000+ hours. It just means I got lucky. Generally nobody expects to be using any of these that long anyway.

Unless there is an actual third party testing, or scientific paper detailing exactly the state of things. Any Samsung claims of million hour display lifetimes are total bullshit. Extrapolating early lab results to large scale production is fundamentally flawed.

From the looks of things, Samsung will continue to push LCD (Called QLED) for many more years.

They might start phasing in QD-OLED next year, but expect them to claim some marketing advantages over LG WOLED, to justify extra premium pricing, over LG WOLEDs, and over their own LCD premium offerings.

Samsung will then want to milk QD-OLED for at least a decade. After which the might start phasing in some high end micro-LED, which the will want to milk for at least a decade. Maybe in the 2040's we can see if the self emissive QDs are doing anything at all yet.

Last edited:
I have an LG, but they are (as weird as it sounds), on the edge... they need to very careful they don't become, "LG, oh yeah, I remember them." Personally, I do appreciate their IPS leanings, especially when they have dominated OLED (so far). There are many use cases where you need ultra-bright wide angle viewing panels. We'll have to see what happens. China definitely the disruptor, but of course, mainly because of cost.

I think Samsung is wise in letting China (gov't subsidized business) have the LCD panel market. But like LG, but less so, they too need to really be careful. It's tough when you're competing with the deep pockets of a country. Both Samsung and LG are diversified. Maybe that's enough to keep them from fading away. Wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years even, we're preferring TVs from brands we've never heard of today (remember TCL, HiSense, etc.?)

I have an LG, but they are (as weird as it sounds), on the edge... they need to very careful they don't become, "LG, oh yeah, I remember them." Personally, I do appreciate their IPS leanings
Should note that 'IPS' is really an LG thing, and they still do it best. For what LGs IPS panels excel at, Samsung has no alternative technology.
Wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years even, we're preferring TVs from brands we've never heard of today (remember TCL, HiSense, etc.?)
Huawei is up there; they make some really nice stuff.

And in the US, where consumers and businesses can afford to be a bit more choosy (as opposed to much of Europe), Huawei is almost non-existent.

The big names are likely to keep competition tight by producing lower-spec'd, vendor specific models. This already happens quite a bit with the Best Buys and Wal-Marts and Costcos.

Back