Samsung to stop (monitor) LCD production - Focuses on quantum dot OLEDs

zehoo

Limp Gawd
Something doesn't makes sense , haven't read the article , but irc its either QLED or OLED - no familiar with QOLED

Something doesn't makes sense , haven't read the article , but irc its either QLED or OLED - no familiar with QOLED
The Samsung QD-OLED uses blue organic emitters to produce light and a QDCC to convert the light to RGB. It's similar to what LG does, but Samsung is putting their own spin on it so as to not step on LG's toes.

1585681860137.png

1585681903725.png

Having another competitor in the OLED market should help bring prices down even further.

Their approach seems to side step LG’s patents.

I’d be curious to see how much or little burn in this new approach has seeing as they’ve chosen to use it to replace their entire monitor panel lineup. Perhaps they have a big contract from Apple and by 2022 the entire mac and ipad lineup will be replaced with Samsung OLED panels.

Last edited:
Their approach seems to side step LG’s patents.

I’d be curious to see how much or little burn in this new approach has seeing as they’ve chosen to use it to replace their entire monitor panel lineup. Perhaps they have a big contract from Apple.
My reading of it seems like this type of OLED would be less prone to burn-in. I would think Samsung could use that to their advantage to provide higher peak brightness and/or less aggressive ABL compared to LG.

Last edited:
Isn't Blue the weak point regarding OLED? I haven't been keeping up but I remember Blue was the one that tended to lose brightness/lifespan sooner than Red and Green.

Have they fixed this?

Isn't Blue the weak point regarding OLED? I haven't been keeping up but I remember Blue was the one that tended to lose brightness/lifespan sooner than Red and Green.

Have they fixed this?
Red is the one that tends to burn out first.

What's the resolution of QDOLED backlights? Is it one OLED per pixel or some kind of dimming zone nonsense like LCDs.

I'm very skeptical of this interpretation of this press release. It doesn't make any sense, and the original reuters article that everyone is using as a source is very short on details.

I suspect it's more likely they're stopping old LCD production and moving to QLED only.

Samsung has not released any product or proven production capable of doing anything with QDOLEDs or any self-emissive technology. It doesn't make sense to shut down old technologies before even proving that new ones are viable commercial products.

I really doubt their QLED TV production is going anywhere.

Funny that I saw this here. I've already had 3 different people today try to tell me that Samsung is going to stop producing monitors and TVs. I guess that for many, the term "LCD" is just a nickname for any and all flat-panel displays.

Funny that I saw this here. I've already had 3 different people today try to tell me that Samsung is going to stop producing monitors and TVs. I guess that for many, the term "LCD" is just a nickname for any and all flat-panel displays.

From this article on the Verge, which actually did some reporting instead of just alphabet-soup regurgitating a confusing reuters press release, Samsung said that this will not affect their QLED TV lineup.

They further speculate that this may simply mean Samsung buys the panels from Chinese manufacturers, but it's also possible that LCD and QLED production lines are being confused by Reuters.

The idea that Samsung is going to switch away from renamed-LCD-tech to anything else in the near-term is wishful thinking.

From this article on the Verge, which actually did some reporting instead of just alphabet-soup regurgitating a confusing reuters press release, Samsung said that this will not affect their QLED TV lineup.

They further speculate that this may simply mean Samsung buys the panels from Chinese manufacturers, but it's also possible that LCD and QLED production lines are being confused by Reuters.

The idea that Samsung is going to switch away from renamed-LCD-tech to anything else in the near-term is wishful thinking.

Reuters doesn't care if they get the details right or even do quality reporting for that matter. However, they will make damn sure that their name is somewhere in each and every article they put out. Multiple times if possible. It's priorities.

I'm very skeptical of this interpretation of this press release. It doesn't make any sense, and the original reuters article that everyone is using as a source is very short on details.

I suspect it's more likely they're stopping old LCD production and moving to QLED only.

Samsung has not released any product or proven production capable of doing anything with QDOLEDs or any self-emissive technology. It doesn't make sense to shut down old technologies before even proving that new ones are viable commercial products.

I really doubt their QLED TV production is going anywhere.
Yes, it's confusing marketing bull, but QD-OLED panels have already been demonstrated and Samsung invested $11 billion US in converting their LCD substrate production line to OLED. A report came out just earlier this month about how QLED market penetration has doubled year-on-year, so I don't think Samsung are going to give that up. They're still going to continue producing LCD televisions and monitors using a QDCC layer.
Nothing with a backlight is OLED. This is just marketing nonsense.

Something is either OLED or not OLED. There are no in-betweens.

I hate it when companies try to confuse customers.
More language confusion. The "backlight" they refer to in the OP articles is the layer of self-emitting diodes beneath the color filter and reflectivity layer. You can see it in the diagrams I posted above. LG is similar, using a layer of white OLED instead of blue.

Samsung likes to pretend they "QLED" Panels aren't LCDs and close to OLED, that is 100% marketing BS.

They are LCD through and through, with all all the LCD weaknesses.

All QLED is a standard LCD with Quantum Dot filter sheet that improves the color primaries. That's a very nice thing, but it fixes ZERO LCD issues.

Samsung needs more than marketing BS before I would ever consider another of their products.

Well i just bought a 65" QLED this week , i decided against lg c9 OLED since i cant handle the burn-in issue , my kids watch all kinds of crap on tv with logos and stuff and it would burn the hell out of it

Well i just bought a 65" QLED this week , i decided against lg c9 OLED since i cant handle the burn-in issue , my kids watch all kinds of crap on tv with logos and stuff and it would burn the hell out of it

Everyone I have asked about this say that while the image retention issue exists, it is completely overblown. Nowhere near as severe as on Plasma screens, and I ahve never had an issue on my Plasma. I have had some temporary retention that time the HTPC froze and the screensaver didnt work, and the frozen clock was on screen for hours. This went away after less than a week though.

8 years of happy use thus far without burnin on the Plasma, a lot of it by my better half on stupid channels with logos. If LG's OLED's are more resistant than Plasma's and my Panasonic Plasma has never had an issue, I am not too concerned about LG OLED's

Everyone I have asked about this say that while the image retention issue exists, it is completely overblown. Nowhere near as severe as on Plasma screens, and I ahve never had an issue on my Plasma. I have had some temporary retention that time the HTPC froze and the screensaver didnt work, and the frozen clock was on screen for hours. This went away after less than a week though.

8 years of happy use thus far without burnin on the Plasma, a lot of it by my better half on stupid channels with logos. If LG's OLED's are more resistant than Plasma's and my Panasonic Plasma has never had an issue, I am not too concerned about LG OLED's

I have 3 OLED TV's in my house now and currently one is functioning as a fourth monitor for my workstation setup (55C9). I don't have burn in on any of them and one was purchased in 2013 or 2014 (5EA9800) and used heavily as an auxiliary monitor.

I am strongly considering replacing my gaming PC's three monitors with the 48" LG CX OLED this year because it just looks so much better than currently available monitors.

I do understand that there is a group of people that simply are not comfortable with the smallest possibility of burn in. I can certainly respect that, but I personally have not had any problems.

Do we really even need to distinguish between monitors and HDTVs now? IMO with HDMI 2.1 spec they've caught up to the point that its really just about screen size, and have no issues using my "TVs" as monitors.

Do we really even need to distinguish between monitors and HDTVs now? IMO with HDMI 2.1 spec they've caught up to the point that its really just about screen size, and have no issues using my "TVs" as monitors.
There are minor differences, but they are mostly in the control boards that are running the hardware, there are edge cases of course current high end TV's or high end monitors of course do things that the other doesn't or have specific form factors or resolutions but for the bulk of the stuff out there they are perfectly interchangeable.

Screen size is really the big distinction at this point for me. I am somewhat apprehensive about replacing my gaming PC's monitor setup with the CX OLED because 48" is still a bit too large for a "desktop monitor" with my current office setup.

I will still likely go through with it because every other aspect will be an improvement.

Samsung likes to pretend they "QLED" Panels aren't LCDs and close to OLED, that is 100% marketing BS.

They are LCD through and through, with all all the LCD weaknesses.

All QLED is a standard LCD with Quantum Dot filter sheet that improves the color primaries. That's a very nice thing, but it fixes ZERO LCD issues.

Samsung needs more than marketing BS before I would ever consider another of their products.

Ya it's funny how many people don't get this. Samsung wants people to think that simply putting a little extra film layer in a LCD panel to strengthen color is *AMAZING NEW NON LCD OLED LIKE TECHNOLOGY*. They even tried to make it sound like OLED.

I've always hated Samsung marketing. It is cringe-worthy.

Ya it's funny how many people don't get this. Samsung wants people to think that simply putting a little extra film layer in a LCD panel to strengthen color is *AMAZING NEW NON LCD OLED LIKE TECHNOLOGY*. They even tried to make it sound like OLED.

I've always hated Samsung marketing. It is cringe-worthy.
Do have to admit though, QLED does look nicer than their "Premium" LED (series 8 I think?) series.... well at least the demos they run with it in the store are :D I say this because I was stuck in line at Costco a few months back right in front of an 80" QLED screen, then 5 minutes later an 80" "Premium" screen, and 5 minutes after an 80" LG OLED :D

Samsung's questionable marketing tactics aside (QLED naming, paid forum trolls against HTC etc), I'm keen to see the how this new style of OLED will perform upon release. 48" is still rather large for monitor use for most people and Samsung shifting all it's monitor production to OLED should be the kick in the ar** that AU Optronics needs to force it into investing more in alternatives to LCD production.

Last edited:
Samsung's questionable marketing tactics aside (QLED naming, paid forum trolls against HTC etc), I'm keen to see the how this new style of OLED will perform upon release. 48" is still rather large for monitor use for most people and Samsung shifting all it's monitor production to OLED should be the kick in the ar** that AU Optronics needs to force it into investing more in alternatives to LCD production.

From what I gather it's not real OLED though. It's their QLED LCD panels with an OLED backlight, presumably for better active dimming.

It's just more questionable tactics to try to muddy the waters and confuse customers.

Samsung has the sleaziest marketing. That last couple of reviews I watched on RTings YT, were Samsung TVs, for both of them, the model update with the same number series was actually a downgrade from the previous year, and one even swtiched from 120Hz panel down to a 60Hz panel. Apparently they did the same thing the year before as well.

Here is one of the reviews, and someone points out in the comments: NU8000 (2018) > RU8000 (2019) > TU8000 (2020)
What I learned. Never buy a Samsung TV.

I have 3 OLED TV's in my house now and currently one is functioning as a fourth monitor for my workstation setup (55C9). I don't have burn in on any of them and one was purchased in 2013 or 2014 (5EA9800) and used heavily as an auxiliary monitor.

I am strongly considering replacing my gaming PC's three monitors with the 48" LG CX OLED this year because it just looks so much better than currently available monitors.

I do understand that there is a group of people that simply are not comfortable with the smallest possibility of burn in. I can certainly respect that, but I personally have not had any problems.

I am using a Panasonic FZ950 as my gaming monitor now also and its freaking fantastic and 0 burn in after looooong gaming sessions.

Samsung lost the display wars with QLED despite their deceitful marketing BS.

Reactions: Fleat
like this
Yeah, after all the problems they have had with this process and for them to forge on even though MicroLED is going to mop the floor with other existing display technology and is right around the corner...

Screen size is really the big distinction at this point for me. I am somewhat apprehensive about replacing my gaming PC's monitor setup with the CX OLED because 48" is still a bit too large for a "desktop monitor" with my current office setup.

I will still likely go through with it because every other aspect will be an improvement.
Me as well. If it's just too much to fit in your field of view at the distance you sit maybe try a custom res like 3840x1440. Then you'll have a screen equal-ish to a 42 inch ultrawide OLED....

HD "TV" = has a tuner, monitor = no tuner.. that's literally the only difference between the two and it's an actual requirement within at least the US for product listing.

From what I gather it's not real OLED though. It's their QLED LCD panels with an OLED backlight, presumably for better active dimming.

It's just more questionable tactics to try to muddy the waters and confuse customers.
If that's what you believe after all the information posted in here then LG's OLED are also just "LCD panels with an OLED backlight."

If that's what you believe after all the information posted in here then LG's OLED are also just "LCD panels with an OLED backlight."

Samsung has ZERO actual OLED TV products announced. It's just something they are working on, just like Mico-LED is something they are working on.

They aren't shutting down LCD production in favor of OLED.

They are simply shifting their Normal LCD production, to the LCD production with the QD filter sheet for the backlight, that they can sell for MUCH more money with their slimy QLED marketing.

As a long time (not quite the longest) owner of an LG OLED, your fears are just that, "fears" and not reality. Burn-in is a huge problem only for CNN in an election year.

Samsung has ZERO actual OLED TV products announced. It's just something they are working on, just like Mico-LED is something they are working on.

They aren't shutting down LCD production in favor of OLED.

They are simply shifting their Normal LCD production, to the LCD production with the QD filter sheet for the backlight, that they can sell for MUCH more money with their slimy QLED marketing.
Samsung Display formally announces its $10.8 billion investment in QD-OLED TV production

And we've already discussed the reality that they're not stopping LCD+QDCC production, just standard LCD production. The news articles just treat QLED like it's a different panel technology which is what brought the confusion to those of us who are "tech savvy." The article above shows how Samsung is already converting a plant that produces 125k LCD substrates per month to 35k OLED substrates.

HD "TV" = has a tuner, monitor = no tuner.. that's literally the only difference between the two and it's an actual requirement within at least the US for product listing.

Are in TV tuners really still a thing?

Doesn't just about all TV rely on an external tuner in some sort of cable box these days?

Samsung Display formally announces its $10.8 billion investment in QD-OLED TV production

And we've already discussed the reality that they're not stopping LCD+QDCC production, just standard LCD production. The news articles just treat QLED like it's a different panel technology which is what brought the confusion to those of us who are "tech savvy." The article above shows how Samsung is already converting a plant that produces 125k LCD substrates per month to 35k OLED substrates.

Yes, I know they announced production plans, but I still wouldn't hold my breath on seeing QD-OLED in stores anytime soon, and would expect them to be more expensive LG OLEDs.

It also isn't the end of Samsung branded normal LCD, many of which already lack Samsung Panels.

Back