Samsung to Show off Bizzare C-Lab Projects at CES

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Samsung Electronics generally has a ton of products to show off at CES, but some of their strangest and most experimental projects come from their "Creative Lab" division. Created in 2012, C-Lab is an incubation program that "encourages a creative corporate culture and nurtures innovative ideas," and helps Samsung employees launch their wacky ideas into independent ventures with investments and business advice. This year, Samsung announced several wacky inventions ahead of the show, including an ad service for displays on clothing, a video making services that can identify and use the contexts of different scenes, a service that automatically generates timelines for news feeds, a "perfume blender," and an AI powered desk lamp.

One of the most relevant products to PC users is probably the AI powered monitor stand, which you can see in the video here.

'Girin Monitor Stand' is an auto-adjusting monitor stand to ensure users have proper posture while on their computers at work. The sensor embedded stand keeps tracking the user’s posture, especially neck and head, in real-time. When the user has a bad posture, it subtly moves the monitor which naturally trains users to assume better posture without noticing the change in monitor position. Users can correct their posture by repeating this pattern to avoid postural strain in the neck, back, and shoulders.

Samsung acts like a good chunk of these experiments eventually make their way into consumer products, but it'll probably be awhile before you can buy a monitor stand that watches your posture.

Just buy a 32" or higher widescreen monitor and hook it on an adjustable swinging arm fastened to a table/desk and there you go!

As someone that has super shitty posture, this isn't such a bad idea... if it could hold a 43" monitor, I'd consider it.

No thanks, I'll do my own monitor position adjusting. In general, I dislike things (devices, cars, programs etc) that try to do things for me without asking, unless they give me the ability to enable/disable said feature.

This is a real need after decades of bad ergonomics.
Evolution.jpg

There was once a time that inventions were meant to change the way we humans fundamentally interact with this world. Now they're just a driving point for revenue and advertising.

Back