Samsung to flood the market

fightingfi

2[H]4U
If the only thing stopping you from replacing your primary storage drive with a large capacity SSD is price, keep your eyes peeled for new products from Samsung. The company said it has started mass producing the industry's first 4-bit quad-level cell (QLC) 4TB SSD for consumers, and hinted that 1TB capacities will be more affordable as a result.

"Samsung’s new 4-bit SATA SSD will herald a massive move to terabyte-SSDs for consumers," said Jaesoo Han, executive vice president of memory sales & marketing at Samsung Electronics. "As we expand our lineup across consumer segments and to the enterprise, 4-bit terabyte-SSD products will rapidly spread throughout the entire market."

That "massive move" Samsung envisions won't happen without lower price points, as there are several 1TB and bigger SSDs already on the market. The benefit of transitioning to 4-bit QLC NAND flash memory is efficiency in production.

Samsung is not the only company making the move the 4-bit QLC chips. Just a few weeks ago, Toshiba announced the development of a prototype sample of 96-layer BiCS flash, the company's proprietary version of 3D NAND, with 4-bit-per-cell technology.

By expanding the bit count from three to four, QLC memory achieves a much higher capacity. Our only concern is performance. TLC was initially quite a bit slower than MLC NAND, and the move to QLC increases complexity that could lead to reduced write speeds.

Interestingly, Samsung claims its upcoming 4-bit 4TB QLC SATA SSD maintains the same performance level as a 3-bit SSD, by using a 3-bit SSD controller and TurboWrite technology. More specifically, Samsung says the 4TB SSD delivers read and write speeds of up to 540MB/s and 520MB/s, respectively.

The new 4-bit SSDs will be available in 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB capacities in the 2.5-inch SATA form factor, though Samsung did not say exactly when or at what price points. Each drive will carry a three-year warranty.

Question I have is whats the TBW expected to be, especially if the warranty is only 3y.

We’re getting there. Very slowly, and expensively. Need 8TB SSDs @ $200...

Samsung and a Toshiba are several months behind; Intel and Micron have been shipping QLC drives for a few months now.

Look around at some other hardware sites today, Intel released their consumer QLC drive today and you can buy it.

Question I have is whats the TBW expected to be, especially if the warranty is only 3y.
The bigger problem is that the flood will be NVMe-based - if you don't have support for it (and that is THE issue going forward - especially in terms of notebooks), you're screwed - you must purchase either new hardware that supports NVMe or an older (and smaller) SATA drive. (I am in exactly that pickle with my notebooks.)

Gimme 4TB at $79.95 and I'll give a shit. Maybe two shits, I don't know, we'll have to see. :D

The bigger problem is that the flood will be NVMe-based - if you don't have support for it (and that is THE issue going forward - especially in terms of notebooks), you're screwed - you must purchase either new hardware that supports NVMe or an older (and smaller) SATA drive. (I am in exactly that pickle with my notebooks.)
You sure? these QLC are SATA III rather than NVMe
Or do you just mean the higher TBW drives will be nvme?

It says in the article this years 1, 2 & 4TB Samsung QLC drives will be SATA 2.5" drives. Later they will have QLC NVME drives.

Intel released QLC NVME drives today. Price is $99 for 512GB and $199 for 1TB. They are entry level NVME drives though so they don't compete with more expensive drives.

It says in the article this years 1, 2 & 4TB Samsung QLC drives will be SATA 2.5" drives. Later they will have QLC NVME drives.

Intel released QLC NVME drives today. Price is $99 for 512GB and $199 for 1TB. They are entry level NVME drives though so they don't compete with more expensive drives.
NVMe speeds are supported by SLC cache as well, once saturated the performance is ~100MB/s

I'm glad I held off on updating my M.2 setups - if these new ones are cheaper plus more space, it'll be the perfect upgrade for all of my boxes.

Are you kidding me? 1tb ssd will be cost prohibitive for a while longer. How many times have we heard of the promise of large sized ssds coming down to crazy eddie prices? Nothings going to change. What maybe? Another sale? They know they are going to keep ssd prices high for a looong time. Milk that tit. We are the sheep consumer. IMO. Sub 100$ prices for a 1TB ssd ain't going to happen in the next 5 years, again IMO. There is no other storage media tech. What is there other than ssd? LOL. They know this. prices ain't goin nowhere. They could make a 100tb ssd. They just_choose_not_to.

Ah well, nice to think the nand holders want us to not pay them money. MM mmm mmm.

Instead of increasing capacity, they increase the number of different form factors, type of NAND etc.
They continually evolve the tech, not the capacity, even though they could easily have inexpensive, huge SSDs.

Are you kidding me? 1tb ssd will be cost prohibitive for a while longer. How many times have we heard of the promise of large sized ssds coming down to crazy eddie prices? Nothings going to change. What maybe? Another sale? They know they are going to keep ssd prices high for a looong time. Milk that tit. We are the sheep consumer. IMO. Sub 100$ prices for a 1TB ssd ain't going to happen in the next 5 years, again IMO. There is no other storage media tech. What is there other than ssd? LOL. They know this. prices ain't goin nowhere. They could make a 100tb ssd. They just_choose_not_to.

Ah well, nice to think the nand holders want us to not pay them money. MM mmm mmm.
That is a bold claim as the last landmark, 1TB at 200 shmeckles was reached pretty rapidly from 300-400. Now that they have corrected from insane levels, it may be reasonable to presume 2TB at 100 in less than two years.

Cheap 1TB drives have gone as low as $126 in the last month. I would bet there will be a 1TB SSD for $99.99 on black friday.

I don't care what tech they use but I do love the m.2 or similar small form factors (Sata X, NVME, etc.). Makes setting up a new rig so easy. Plus nice and clean wiring for display / window cases becomes a cinch. Just some power cords going to the graphics cards.

Back