Panel a-si TFT/TN
Display Type WUXGA

Connectivity

Input Video Compatibility Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors 15pin D-sub, DVI-D, HDMI, Component, DTV Tuner, Optical SPDIF Out
D-Sub 1
DVI 1
HDMI 2

I am a college freshman this fall, and because of the small dorm rooms, I was looking for an "all in one display". I'm sure many of you can imagine the difficulty in finding one, which is why models like the 32" Sharp and 37" Westinghouse are so popular. I was looking for an inexpensive 24" that would serve as a primary monitor, with connectivity for Xbox 360 and possibly cable TV. The T240HD delivers.

I bought this model from Newegg for $459 shipped during a weekend special. I purchased it late Saturday and it arrived the following Thursday.

2763373979_f19a4b4079_b.jpg

I would have preferred the monitor to be double boxed, but it didn't matter as it was well protected.

2763376121_c5a63f9491_b.jpg

As you can see it includes a DVI cable, a VGA cable, power cable, remote, and stand, among various other accessories like batteries and a wiping cloth.

2763378073_00377a58fa_b.jpg

It also comes with a remote, an accessory rarely found among 24" monitors but extremely useful.

2763380015_4f85799fe6_b.jpg

Stand instructions.

2763382089_a48c47b1d3_b.jpg

The back of the display. There are speakers at the bottom.

2764228478_112d59aaa4_b.jpg

There is also an additional HDMI input on the side.

2763386049_f5f7f33f06_b.jpg

2763387965_08762426fb_b.jpg

It actually has fairly good side angles for a TN monitor.

The following pics are all of 1080p movies.

2763389987_1863787d6a_b.jpg

2764236966_78c03de14d_b.jpg

2764239350_6de4403cf2_b.jpg

2763396823_b7ecc93457_b.jpg

2763398665_64cea68cb8_b.jpg

Unfortunately I suck at taking pictures so these pictures may show some crushed blacks that aren't there. One thing that sold me on the T240HD was the 1:1 pixel mapping, so the following pictures of Xbox 360 over HDMI all have black bars at the top and bottom to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio.

2764244470_1f13cff37f_b.jpg

2764246024_407490194c_b.jpg

2763403377_7fff7321ab_b.jpg

It's hard to take a good picture but here is one of the monitor itself.

2764249370_6614eec373_b.jpg

The power light at the bottom right corner can be turned off through the display's menu. There is some slight backlight bleeding at the bottom, about the same size as the default windows taskbar but slightly curved. I notice no banding or dead pixels, but I haven't looked too closely yet. I will report back later with more findings since I am still testing it.

Any lag on 360 gaming? How does it deal with 720p games?

I didn't notice any lag on Xbox 360 after playing Gears of War and Halo 3. Since all Xbox games are at lower resolution than 720p, it upscaled pretty well. Gears of War has a lot more detail at 1080p when you sit pretty close (compared to my 42" 1080p).

Thats awesome dude! I'm sure it'll do the same with my PS3. How are the colors? Are they vibrant yet keep the detail or dull and washed out? I might get this! Found out that the 28 Hannspree was way too big for me, so this looks like it could be the one! Any ghosting or tearing? This set wouldn't happen to have a headphone output would it?

It actually has a headphone input on the side next to the HDMI input.

I'm playing COD4 right now and I'm not seeing any problems. It is extremely clear and vivid. No ghosting or tearing that I see.

thank you for this..i myself will 'test' one this weekend..strickly pc games..fps CSS, AoC, WoW, GRID.

dont have a good camera or videocam..just a Blackberry pearl..i guess i can use that for videos and pix.

Are you able to record a game?

good luck...

Sounds good to me. I don't do any PC gaming, just general PC use is all. Have you actually tried the HD tuner? How does that work out?

I haven't been able to test the tuner yet. I move into the dorms next Wednesday though where there is a cable hookup so I can let you know then.

I think I might get the 25.5 version instead; I doubt there'll be any differences except for screen size. What else are you going to test for?

I have a few PC games, Oblivion, Company of Heroes, and a few others I can test. Anything you need in particular?

i do not know if you can actually show other people screen "lag" like some reviewers state this lcd has...myself i guess i can try the 26hd version and drop to a 24 non hd to compare i guess..

huge pc purchase soon, just working out some kinks...good luck on your purchase OP

why does it look so grainy?? or do u just have your camera ISO really high?

Blu-Ray movies *and I'm pretty sure HD-DVD movies tend to have that "grainy" effect. Its much more complicated than that though. Could you post some pics of COD4 on 360? and a 720p game on 360 but where it fills the screen yet doesn't lose the picture? Thanks! I just can't decide what size to get; go for the 24'' or the 26''?I'll be sitting like 2 feet away if that helps.

I am considering this screen. I was going to get the T220HD but seems 24s are the way to go now.

Nice job,

It looks like it's pretty good in regards to scaling 1080p properly. This is welcome. Another monitor that can be recommended for consoles is always a good thing to keep competition fierce.

J0J081: 24" is the sweet spot right now, unless/until 22" 1080p monitors become the norm, so it will be this way for a while, where 24" is the size for people wishing to also view 1080p content correctly.

Thanks for the photos and the mini review. Enjoy the 360 gaming.

i dont know if it's your camera, but those pics looks very grainy.. but i have a feeling, it might be just your camera.. you think best buy have this model? I might pick one up...

It isn't really grainy, but it's just a combination of ISO 400 and a shaky hands. Also movies aren't perfect so you may see some grain there (like 300, which had grain on purpose).

Here are some more pics of COD4 on Xbox 360 over HDMI at 1080p.

2765419213_95ea7ef932_b.jpg

2766268904_45b564809c_b.jpg

Same level, but with Xbox 360 at 720p over HDMI.

2766272450_bd7865c718_b.jpg

2766276324_c5b6f77a2a_b.jpg

All pictures were taken about three feet away.

They look good. Thanks for doing that. Funny thing is, COD4 is being upscaled even in 720p, its real native resolution is 576p. Confusing huh. Either way I noticed more detail in the 1080p shots vs. the 720p ones. Do you think there is any difference between this and the T260HD besides size? I noticed that the Dynamic contrast ratio on the T260HD is 20,000 vs 10,000 but you know how that goes.

The T260HD also has a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, but the T260 and T240 have a 20,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. I personally don't use dynamic contrast, so this isn't important, but the non HD displays also don't have 16:9 support so they don't display the Xbox 360 at 1:1 pixel mapping.

Yeah I know that the ones that don't have the "HD" in 'em don't support 16:9 and 1:1. How close do you sit to yours?

I just got a T240HD yesterday. I love it! My 360 and PS3 look tons better over component and HDMI than my 360 did with a vga cable on a 245BW or component on a 225TW. Much better color and contrast overall (on the previous two samsungs it always looked like there was a grey filter over the image). And most importantly, the 1:1 pixel ratio. That little 16"10 stretch drives me crazy, I must have everything look the way it's supposed to lol.

I was originally going to get the non HD version but the salesman brought out the wrong box. I decided the extra $50 would be worth it, and it was way more worth it than I expected. I can't say enough about this monitor. The only thing missing from the 245BW that I used to have is the ability to rotate the screen. It was a nice feature but the positives on this screen totally outweigh the 245BW. Also, I took this one over the 260HD because while looking at the screen at the store, it looked like the picture quality was a bit degraded in comparison to the 240HD. I can't say for sure because I don't have it, but it looked like it suffered from the grayish filter seen on my previous two monitors, 245BW and 225TW.

I'm curious though, alexheinz, do you notice much of a difference between 360 over component vs hdmi? I have a 1st gen 360 so it doesn't have an hdmi port. It looks great over component, but I'm wondering if it can get better. I suppose I could test the PS3 with HDMI vs. component... I just have to find that cable now. Also, have you calibrated the monitor at all, any settings you would suggest? Thanks!

And I suggest everyone considering this monitor to get it!

Yeah I know that the ones that don't have the "HD" in 'em don't support 16:9 and 1:1. How close do you sit to yours?

About three feet away. I have watched some videos on it though and it looks good far away, comparable to my Sharp and better than my old Dell E207WFP.

I just got a T240HD yesterday. I love it! My 360 and PS3 look tons better over component and HDMI than my 360 did with a vga cable on a 245BW or component on a 225TW. Much better color and contrast overall (on the previous two samsungs it always looked like there was a grey filter over the image). And most importantly, the 1:1 pixel ratio. That little 16"10 stretch drives me crazy, I must have everything look the way it's supposed to lol.

I was originally going to get the non HD version but the salesman brought out the wrong box. I decided the extra $50 would be worth it, and it was way more worth it than I expected. I can't say enough about this monitor. The only thing missing from the 245BW that I used to have is the ability to rotate the screen. It was a nice feature but the positives on this screen totally outweigh the 245BW. Also, I took this one over the 260HD because while looking at the screen at the store, it looked like the picture quality was a bit degraded in comparison to the 240HD. I can't say for sure because I don't have it, but it looked like it suffered from the grayish filter seen on my previous two monitors, 245BW and 225TW.

I'm curious though, alexheinz, do you notice much of a difference between 360 over component vs hdmi? I have a 1st gen 360 so it doesn't have an hdmi port. It looks great over component, but I'm wondering if it can get better. I suppose I could test the PS3 with HDMI vs. component... I just have to find that cable now. Also, have you calibrated the monitor at all, any settings you would suggest? Thanks!

And I suggest everyone considering this monitor to get it!

I'm still messing with the settings. I tried adjusting the gamma but couldn't get a picture I was happy with, so I left it all at 2.20. I used the included Natural Color Pro for this.

Right now I have 85 contrast, 25 brightness and 50 sharpness.

I haven't tested 360 over component yet, just HDMI. I suppose it would look better over HDMI if you sit really close, but is that worth buying a new 360? If you can sell your old one and get an HDMI one for cheap, then it wouldn't hurt.

I'll make sure to check out these two next time I drop buy BB. If the T260HD does have a lower PQ than the T240HD then I'll get the latter! By the way, what exactly is "grayish filter"? Something having to do with blacks?

I'll make sure to check out these two next time I drop buy BB. If the T260HD does have a lower PQ than the T240HD then I'll get the latter! By the way, what exactly is "grayish filter"? Something having to do with blacks?
Yea, the blacks seemed a bit more gray than black. Overall it makes the colors seem a bit washed out. However, you should check it out yourself and see what you think.

How does this display stack up to the BenQ G2400WD? I'll be primarily using it for my PS3 and some light gaming on the PC (TF2, WoW, STALKER) I'm only reluctant towards buying the G2400WD because of sound problems when running HDMI through the audio out (Plus I would like to avoid having an extra cable for sound)

Yea, I'm pretty sure it can't be mounted. The back has no apparent screw holes where you would expect to put a mounting bracket.

Hi Folks. I'm looking to upgrade from a Samsung 226BW and I've been struggling to find reviews of the T240. I'm presuming that it's the same as this without a tuner.
My main uses would be gaming but I also watch TV via a DVB-T stick and the odd movie now and then.
I've also looked at the SM 2493HM, which costs about the same in the UK and the 245BW, which is a bit cheaper.
The SM 2493HM gets rave reviews but I'm drawn to T240 because I think it looks cool.
Anyone got any thoughts/advice?
Thanks and best wishes, John

If you're going to do PC gaming I wouldn't know: :p But for console gaming I love it! I never thought I'd get the same quality of PQ as my previous BRAVIA and it does and more! From where I sit I can tell the differences between 720p and 1080p. I was going to get the T260HD but it wasn't on display and I heard that the colors were washed out so I opted for this one and have no regrets. I don't notice any lag or ghosting on console gaming either. Take a look at the BenQ V2400W and the BenQ FP241VW, I've heard those are really good for PC gaming.

so this monitor obviously works splendidly for gaming and for pc... but does it work with mac? i'm assuming it does, as there are few that don't, but just to check, does anyone know? i have an xbox and a macbook i have connected simultaneously to a 19" memorex tv, and i'm looking to upgrade to something 19x12. the T240HD looks like the best option. i generally sit so close (within 2-3 feet) that TN shouldn't mean a thing.

also i'm wondering about the colors. the contrast ratio is like 20000:1, right? does it make that much of a difference? the tv i have now is decent, but after seeing some friends' plasmas (incredible color- made 480i seem like 720p, just from the contrast ratio), i want something that is very colorful and bright. this unit seems to deliver exactly what i want, but i haven't seen it in person so i don't know for sure. i don't think i'll be watching blu ray (yet), but i will be using it for a computer monitor as well as 1080p gaming. i watch some tv, but not enough to warrant anything past 24".
anyway, i guess my only real questions are:
it works with mac as a monitor through DVI, right?
and
is the color and contrast as spectacular as it sounds?

thanks,
kyle

Hi guys
Been roaming here for some weeks and was waiting for more information about this monitor/LCD TV. Thanks for the impression by the way!
Before I decide to buy T240HD I would like to know how this monitor deals with the PS2 (using this monitor mainly for the PS2 & PC before I buy the PS3 in next couple months). Does it support 1x1 pixelmapping while using component input? and how is the display quality?

Thanks!

Yep the color and contrast is surprisingly crisp. It has a 10,000: 1 Dynamic contrast ratio but usually those are just specs thrown at the consumer, its native contrast ratio is supposedly 1000:1. Either way it looks very good. I owned a Gateway FHD2400 and even with its glossy screen and 92% Wide Color Gamut it does not look better than the T240HD. Out of the box its alright; had to tweak it some to get it to my liking. I prefer vibrant and sharp ,somewhat saturated colors for gaming and it does that. All I've been using it with so far is my PS3, but later on I'll try my laptop and my Wii to see how those turn out. You should check one out at your local retailers. Just make sure its not the regular T240 and T260's.

Hello again One2The3. Why do you say avoid the regular T240? Isn't it exactly the same as the T240HD but without the tuner? I would still be able to get hi def tv with my external DVB-T stick wouldn't I?
Thanks, John

Hello again One2The3. Why do you say avoid the regular T240? Isn't it exactly the same as the T240HD but without the tuner? I would still be able to get hi def tv with my external DVB-T stick wouldn't I?
Thanks, John

i believe the T240 does not have 1:1. read this thread in its entirety.

my best buy has the T240 and T260, but not the T240HD or T260HD.
real subtle differences overall, but are crucial to performance.

oh, and OP, where did you get that wallpaper of earth? i dig it. if you could post it or tell me where to find it, i would be very grateful

thanks,
kyle

It actually has fairly good side angles for a TN monitor.
I like this photo.
According to some people bothering this forum with BS, your monitor has "IPS glow" (LOL).
Congrats on the first Gnusmas with IPS panel!

Never mind.
Good pics. Thank you.

Yep like Kyle mentioned, the HD versions have the 16:9 Aspect Ratio found on game consoles and the 1:1 pixel mapping and the tuner. Thats pretty much the reason I avoided the ones without "HD". I don't know about DVB-T : hehe you lost me there! But I'm sure someone else could help you, probably 10e knows someting about it. Those reasons I mentioned was it in my book. My needs were console gaming, watch Blu-Ray and general pc use so I went for the HD route.I just can't stand the picture being distorted. If you don't need those things then take a look at the T240. I'm sure the colors will look great and its been said that they have lower input lag (or response time?? which is it?) than the ones with the tuners.

At Kuroudu, just tested it out with Wii and PS2 both with component cables and it looks great. It does have the 1:1 pixel mapping in component. The PQ is overall nice, I'd take pictures but my camera is crud; its a Polaroid something. Got it as a gift. lol If you want the pics just ask. Off Topic - Sadly though I just don't play the Wii that much anymore; only if friends come over we play Brawl. Should I sell it?

My current screen is a 226BW. That's 16.9 and the movies and TV shows have a black band at top and bottom.
However games like Crysis and Bioshock play at full screen and they don't look distorted to me. Not sure what you mean.
Don't know what 1:1 pixel mapping is I'm afraid.
Cheers, John

Back